Author Topic: Mangini's 5th Anniversary  (Read 8347 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Mangini's 5th Anniversary
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2016, 02:56:54 PM »
 :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2016, 04:02:04 PM »
It's amazing how much groove and life was lost in the final mix. Even in the more technical parts you can really hear the feel of the time signature.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2016, 06:28:36 PM »
It's definitely a lot better, but I still find Mangini's drum set not pleasant to listen to even raw. Guys like Nicko McBrain and even Portnoy sound great even without mics. Mangini sounds okay at best and unfortunately his mixes keep getting botched up. Why can't he get a sound similar to the one on the audition videos?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »
It's not even Pearl since oasis drummer Alan White used a Pearl Masters kit and he always sounded colossal.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »
It's not even Pearl since oasis drummer Alan White used a Pearl Masters kit and he always sounded colossal.

Nah Pearls sound fine. I'm really not a big fan of Zildjians (they sound really thin to my ears, even the Ks) though.