Author Topic: Second North American leg in the Fall to include the South???  (Read 8800 times)

Offline bluehaze

There is still hope...

Question From Facebook poster (name deleted): James, man when are you guys coming to Florida?! This state needs rocked out with your righteous music!

Like · Reply · April 21 at 5:54pm

James Labrie

James Labrie: Would love to do a show there on our next run. Hopefully this will happen late fall of this year. Keep the faith my man
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:35:14 PM by bluehaze »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Second North American leg in the Fall to include the South???
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 09:18:36 PM »
Sorry to be the cynical butthead here but they'd always love to play the South. They say that every time they're asked. The simple reality is that if they want to do shows by themselves a la TA or Evening Withs, it won't happen. If they want to play down here they'll have to bring along somebody that can contribute to sales.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 06:45:26 AM »
I would usually agree, but this time, James gave a timeline...late fall...They don't need any other acts to draw sales. The big flaw in the argument regarding the need for other bands to draw sales is that they actually have to pay the other bands, so I fail to see how that changes their take much.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
They don't book tours. Promoters do. They play where people will pay them to play. If Southern promoters don't think they'll pull enough by themselves, they don't get booked by themselves. Now, I suppose they can lower their rate, but their past excuse (which I'm not questioning) is that they can't go any lower without butchering their production.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 09:13:12 AM »
The good news in all this is that DT is considering a second US leg this time round, which didn't happen last cycle.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
The good news in all this is that DT is considering a second US leg this time round, which didn't happen last cycle.

Exactly...

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:54:26 PM »
There's a venue in Durham called the Durham Performing Arts Center that holds about 2,700 people. I'm not exactly sure how the venue's structured, but if they curtained off the upper levels and got that down to 2,000 or something, I think they could get a good turnout. Come on DT - Make it happen! :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »
They don't book tours. Promoters do. They play where people will pay them to play. If Southern promoters don't think they'll pull enough by themselves, they don't get booked by themselves. Now, I suppose they can lower their rate, but their past excuse (which I'm not questioning) is that they can't go any lower without butchering their production.
Dream Theater always gets good draws for their shows here in Florida and I am pretty sure the promoters know that. DT doesn't need (and shouldn't expect) guaranteed sell outs for the promoters to be interested.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 02:26:57 PM »

YES it is, especially after missing the show last week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 08:53:33 PM »
Dream Theater always gets good draws for their shows here in Florida and I am pretty sure the promoters know that. DT doesn't need (and shouldn't expect) guaranteed sell outs for the promoters to be interested.

Right, but they need at least a handful of shows in an area like the south to make it worthwhile.  I can't see them making the sojourn down south for just one or two shows, which means promoters in various cities will have to want to book them.  I'd be shocked to see it.  Heck, they haven't been to St. Louis in 12 years now.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 10:54:41 PM »
As a rule, coming through Tejas means shows in Dallas, Houston and Austin/SA. I suspect that's what makes it possible. Arizona used to be part of that string, but they normally get standalone shows now. The logical conclusion would be that Phoenix is a part of the Southwestern leg including California and Colorado. It's just an additional show in an area they'll be in regardless. Texas is sort of a mini-tour by itself. You need a guaranteed draw to make that profitable. The Wang is isolated as fuck in relation to the rest of their dates. Transporting the show all the way down there for one, maybe two shows is a losing proposition.
E.F. Benson

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 02:00:00 AM »
I can see two shows in Mexico, three shows in Texas, one in New Orleans, one in North Carolina, one in South Carolina, one in Georgia, three in Florida, and one in Puerto Rico...and hey, why not one show in Cuba?

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 04:52:33 AM »
There is still hope...

Question From Facebook poster (name deleted): James, man when are you guys coming to Florida?! This state needs rocked out with your righteous music!

Like · Reply · April 21 at 5:54pm

James Labrie

James Labrie: Would love to do a show there on our next run. Hopefully this will happen late fall of this year. Keep the faith my man

I for one believe this to be true and expect a second leg to hit some forgotten about areas of the country. I will see them then. Have faith! (that's as close to a new album pun as I'm gonna get)
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 07:11:27 AM »
I personally believe that Dream Theater is unable to do so because, uhmmm, some venues out there in our nation don't have fans and uh, I believe that touring, I, music like such as uh, Dream Theater, and uh, the The Astonishing, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our music over here in the southern US should help the US, uh, should help Southern US, it should help the tour and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 01:39:58 PM »
From Facebook... More confirmation from James of a second NA leg. James Labrie : We are more than likely coming back through NA sometime late fall or early next year.
See u then.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 02:55:05 PM »
As a rule, coming through Tejas means shows in Dallas, Houston and Austin/SA. I suspect that's what makes it possible. Arizona used to be part of that string, but they normally get standalone shows now. The logical conclusion would be that Phoenix is a part of the Southwestern leg including California and Colorado. It's just an additional show in an area they'll be in regardless. Texas is sort of a mini-tour by itself. You need a guaranteed draw to make that profitable. The Wang is isolated as fuck in relation to the rest of their dates. Transporting the show all the way down there for one, maybe two shows is a losing proposition.

And New Mexico gets stuck in the middle with no possibility at all. Not a strong enough prog following, mainly metal.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »
Are there other examples of bands who tour as much as DT do and are as popular but consistently not play the southern US?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
From Facebook... More confirmation from James of a second NA leg. James Labrie : We are more than likely coming back through NA sometime late fall or early next year.
See u then.

When DT does a second US leg, do they hit any cities again that they stopped at on their first run? I'd like to see this show at least one more time before they call it quits.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 11:56:17 AM »
I would go again to see the Astonishing if they came to Boston.

BUT. I would rather them play a different setlist. I know that's not going to happen, but I don't understand why, if they were just going to come back later to do the same set, they didn't just do multiple nights in the same city. I understand going to different cities... but if they come back to Boston, I would just hope for a different set.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
I would go again to see the Astonishing if they came to Boston.

BUT. I would rather them play a different setlist. I know that's not going to happen, but I don't understand why, if they were just going to come back later to do the same set, they didn't just do multiple nights in the same city. I understand going to different cities... but if they come back to Boston, I would just hope for a different set.

Agreed, I want a traditional show.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »
If they come back and hit the same cities, I would like to see a different set list, with some tracks from TA.

If they come back and hit different cities then by all means, play the same show.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »
I would actually like to see the entire TA show again. Then maybe they could add some songs at the end. Better yet make a real encore and not the fake encore that everyone else is doing, something spontaenous and not planned.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 06:39:59 PM »
Before this show stops at locations previously hit (i.e. The Northeast), Dream Theater needs to play the South. It's our turn. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:13:45 PM by bluehaze »

Offline greyghost

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 06:52:35 AM »
While I totally sympathize with the Southern DT fans (I'm a NOLA native myself), I hope they swing back through the Northeast again after hitting the South. Even though I was within reasonable striking distance of the CT, Boston,AND NYC shows, I had to miss them all because I had just had open-heart surgery a couple of weeks earlier! Now I'm recovered enough to go to a show, and they're done.  It's the first tour since 2002 (other than the Yes shows and Gigantour) that I've missed, so I'm pretty bummed to have missed this one in particular. Play the South for sure, but then please come back to Connecticut!!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 08:31:25 AM »
While I totally sympathize with the Southern DT fans (I'm a NOLA native myself), I hope they swing back through the Northeast again after hitting the South. Even though I was within reasonable striking distance of the CT, Boston,AND NYC shows, I had to miss them all because I had just had open-heart surgery a couple of weeks earlier! Now I'm recovered enough to go to a show, and they're done.  It's the first tour since 2002 (other than the Yes shows and Gigantour) that I've missed, so I'm pretty bummed to have missed this one in particular. Play the South for sure, but then please come back to Connecticut!!

You're using open heart surgery as an excuse for skipping a concert? Some fan you are!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »
Wow, open heart surgery?   I'm glad you're on the mend..  :eek
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 08:43:02 PM »
Wow, open heart surgery?   I'm glad you're on the mend..  :eek
  Amen to that! I hope all goes well for you Greyghost.

Offline CharlesPL

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 11:53:57 PM »
Here's the translated version of the article. The mention of the North America leg comes towards the end when the interviewer asks about whether they will go right back into the studio after the tour. He says they have an idea where they want to go with the next album but first is finishing the tour with more Europe, Asia, and a second leg of North America and then a rest. https://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diariosp.com.br%2Fnoticia%2Fdetalhe%2F93180%2Fdi-rio-fala-com-a-voz-do-dream-theater-sobre-turne

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 07:00:57 AM »
Thanks Haze!

Was a good read actually. Already have ideas for the next album. Cool.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 03:19:34 AM »
I'd travel to see them if they did one show actually with the live choir and live orchestra.  Which I think they basically have to do, so they can make a DVD of it.  They have to know that would sell.  RCMH?  Another gig at the Boston Opera House with Berkelee's finest?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 02:51:47 AM »
I so hope that if there are more European dates they go for the "Some songs off The Astonishing and some other songs as well" approach rather than the "Just The Astonishing in it's entireity" approach - I don't think I could sit through that again if they paid me...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jvelvet3

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 06:31:16 PM »
I'd travel to see them if they did one show actually with the live choir and live orchestra.  Which I think they basically have to do, so they can make a DVD of it.  They have to know that would sell.  RCMH?  Another gig at the Boston Opera House with Berkelee's finest?

I'd travel too if they did a one-off show with an orchestra and choir (if it's in the US at least). If they do go all out with that, I also think it would be cool if they brought in a female vocalists for Faythe's and Arabelle's parts. Nothing against James (I think he's phenomenal on TA), but if they were to make a big production for a DVD, why not bring in another vocalist as well to help differentiate between the male and female parts.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2016, 06:58:55 AM »

I'd travel too if they did a one-off show with an orchestra and choir (if it's in the US at least). If they do go all out with that, I also think it would be cool if they brought in a female vocalists for Faythe's and Arabelle's parts. Nothing against James (I think he's phenomenal on TA), but if they were to make a big production for a DVD, why not bring in another vocalist as well to help differentiate between the male and female parts.

I'd travel and plan a vacation around the ability to see Hymn of a Thousand Voices with full orchestra and choir. I agree. I think it'd be awesome if they got other singers for the female parts. I wouldn't think of it as a Dream Theater DVD, more so a musical theater performance featuring Dream Theater... If that makes sense.