Author Topic: Introducing dream theater to friends  (Read 1616 times)

Offline romanticrocker

Introducing dream theater to friends
« on: April 26, 2016, 10:44:18 AM »
Don't know if this has been asked sorry if it has been but if you wanted to introduce a friend to dream theater what are the first songs you would play for him or her to show case how awesome they are for me I would play

Blind faith
Count of Tuscany
Pull me under
The sprit carries on
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:49:26 AM by romanticrocker »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Introducing dream theater to friends
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:54:35 AM »
Those songs are all representative of the kind of music that DT produces.  However, my answer would be that it depends on the kinds of music the person already likes.  If someone like pop tunes or the Grateful Dead, I wouldn't use The Count of Tuscany.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:56:13 AM »
Those songs are all representative of the kind of music that DT produces.  However, my answer would be that it depends on the kinds of music the person already likes.  If someone like pop tunes or the Grateful Dead, I wouldn't use The Count of Tuscany.

Ha the beginning is so awesome I think it would grab most people although wouldn't be the first song I would play for someone but yeah I hear ya for older people I would
Play more of the ballads since they would like that more
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:22:04 AM by romanticrocker »

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »
A lot has already been said on this subject, but here's a new discovery I had.

If you have friends that are into musical theatre, try playing them The Astonishing. The music is very accessible, and although the length and complex story will be off-putting to some, people that like musicals will be able to handle it.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
A lot has already been said on this subject, but here's a new discovery I had.

If you have friends that are into musical theatre, try playing them The Astonishing. The music is very accessible, and although the length and complex story will be off-putting to some, people that like musicals will be able to handle it.

I actually would play that for a lot of older adults since I think they would appreciate it more then young people would I think it might be to complex and to many ballads for young fans for the younger generation to like I might play metropolis pt 2 for them since I think they would like that more if there into concept albums
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:09:53 PM by romanticrocker »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:39:39 PM »
I tie them to a chair and put on whatever I want until they like DT.

Just like my old girlfriends.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 01:03:59 PM »
Step 1. Buy friends.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »
For me, this is based entirely on what music each person already likes.
Even if the DT song I choose isn't necessarily representative of DT's main style, if they like it, that's progress.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 07:19:29 PM »
I think "Behind The Veil" is a good, 'short' representation of the band: it includes a lot of aspects of DT's music (atmospheric intro, heavy/dark sections, mellow sections, some proggy instrumentals/time signatures, a great solo...). Plus, it's a recent song, so it shows that the band is still around and well.

Of course it depends on the listener if they'll like that (or another) song, but at least they'll get a good idea of what the band is about.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 08:41:35 PM »
I will tell you the songs that got me love Dream Theater. 

Home, The spirit carries on, Fatal tragedy, Another day, Hell's kitchen, Lines in the sand.  I had download those songs after hearing it on YouTube.  I knew that I would love that band.  For a couple of months, I listened only to those songs and after that started to listen to anything about them on YouTube.  Then I started buying albums and go to their concerts.  I just couldn't believe I was not aware of that band before.  A young co worker of mine had told me about them.  It has been a beautiful discovery.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 08:46:58 PM »
Unless they are already a fan of progressive music, do not start them off with long songs.  Start with the shorter ones like Pull Me Under (8 minutes plus isn't exactly short, I know), The Spirit Carries On, Take the Time, Moment of Betrayal, The Looking Glass, The Silent Man, Peruvian Skies, Wither, Solitary Shell, etc.