Author Topic: Mike Lepond's "Silent Assassins"  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Mike Lepond's "Silent Assassins"
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:15:05 AM »
Just bought this album a week after I bought The Astonishing. I'll have to say this is a breath of fresh air for the world or metal. Some of the coolest riffing I've heard in a long time and insane bass playing throughout!
 Mike Lepond of SX wrote and produced this album. While being a prolific bass player, his rhythm guitar chops are nothing to be overlooked.  I wasn't sure about the vocals at first, but they really grew on me and it works great for this particular style of music.
 If you like the sound of classic melodic metal with a modern twist, I highly recommend this album. A few Steve Harris type bass riffs accompanied by heavy fast riffs and blazing guitar solos. This a very organic well thought out metal album with really catchy themes and triumphant feel in a few songs. Every song is great from start to finish. My personal favorite being track 8 "The Progeny", heavy metal at it's best! This release is worthy to be recognized and hope it gains momentum. The title track on to the end is true metal glory!  Brilliant..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:17:57 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mike Lepond's "Silent Assassins"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »
This album is freaking awesome!!!

Didn't get a lot of love around here when I mentioned it, but it is East Coast kick ass metal!!

Red Death!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »
Indeed, a very cool record! Interesting to note that there is a really well done drums programming by Michael Romeo. By the way, it's very cheap at google play, very worth just to try.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 01:22:11 PM »
The drums sound great, I didn't realize they were programmed until I read the credits and there was no mention of a drummer.  This doesn't bother me because it's such an awesome album throughout!
Michael Romeo did some guitar solos on this release as well.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 01:58:57 PM »
I had no idea it finally came out!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »
I had no idea it finally came out!
I read in a recent interview, that there is gonna be a follow up album to this one.  :metal :metal

Offline devieira73

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
New album this month (and new song link):
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/symphony-x-bassist-to-release-second-mike-leponds-silent-assassins-album-pawn-and-prophecy/
On a side note, Michael Romeo must be the best drums programmer ever!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »
Just preordered the new album on Amazon! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:15:45 AM »
My cd player in the car can show only a limited number of letters in the display, this cd is always shown as

Mike Leponds Silent Ass

But I still like the music.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline krands85

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 04:31:12 AM »
My cd player in the car can show only a limited number of letters in the display, this cd is always shown as

Mike Leponds Silent Ass

But I still like the music.  ;D
:lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 06:04:57 AM »
 :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
 :rollin
I guess it's better than Mike Lepond's "Loud Ass!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 12:10:57 PM »
:rollin
I guess it's better than Mike Lepond's "Loud Ass!

Silent asses are much much worse.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 05:35:59 PM »
Ha!  Now there's a name for a band, S.B.D.  😅

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
Listening to the new disc. This is pretty good!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »
Cool, I'll be picking it up this Saturday at my local record store. Hopefully it's as good as the first one!  :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 09:06:08 AM »
I've given it a few spins, don't know if I like it quite as much as the first, but it's another good album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »
I've given it a few spins, don't know if I like it quite as much as the first, but it's another good album.

That was my first impression too but each spin gets better. It’s a bit campy in parts but it’s great metal. The epic title track is amazing

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »

That was my first impression too but each spin gets better. It’s a bit campy in parts but it’s great metal. The epic title track is amazing

I thought I was watching Seinfeld towards the end  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
Just picked up Pawn and Prophecy. Another great release of pure melodic metal, yet different from the first release. This one especially the title track is a little more experimental, some female vocals and even a blues shuffle towards the end.  Interesting!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:45:26 AM by Architeuthis »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »
Just picked up Pawn and Prophecy. Another great release of pure melodic metal, yet different from the first release. This one especially the title track is a little more experimental, some female vocals and even a blues shuffle towards the end. I thought the bluesy part was a little too far off the beaten path for a Silent Assassins album, but oh well, I think he was paying a little homage to other styles of music he likes.
 Again great riffing throughout the album and song writing. This music is very refreshing in this day and age. I hope Mike Lepond keeps cranking out SA albums in the near future and eventually finds a real drummer on future releases. Michael Romeo however, does a brilliant job programming the drums, had me fooled, lol!   Oh, and that bass playing...  :metal :metal

I think it's a fantastic album. Gets better with each listen.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »
I loved this album too! Fantastic riffage and bass playing! The drum programming is really good, it seems like a truly very good drummer’s performance. The only thing I didn’t like very much was the blues/old rock n roll part in the epic. Everything else are top notch!
I bought the digital version, so the songs were composed only by Mike Lepond?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's the case. I have the CD, but it's out in the car. :D

The drum programming is ridiculously amazing.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 07:07:08 PM »
Thanks, TAC! This is really amazing not only for the quality of the compositions and bass playing, but the tremendous guitar's riffs in the songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 09:29:12 PM »
These comments have me intrigued and make me want to check out the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
The first album is equally as good. I like to put both of them on random and have a musical metal marathon!
Btw, these two albums have raised the bar on how the bass should be mixed in a hard rock/metal albums.   :tup :tup

Offline devieira73

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 06:16:11 PM »
Btw, these two albums have raised the bar on how the bass should be mixed in a hard rock/metal albums.   :tup :tup

Totally this. The bass is sooo good to hear on these albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 06:08:45 PM »
Awesome! I've really liked the first two.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 06:52:44 PM »
Awesome! I've really liked the first two.

I didn't really go back to the first one, but the second one was really really good.  You made me give it another chance and I realised how damn killer it was.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »
The first one is really damn killer!  Looking forward to hearing the third release!  :metal

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2020, 10:45:30 AM »
I really liked the first one, somehow I never realized there's a second one, and now a third one. Guess I have some catching up to do.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 02:21:01 PM »
I really liked the first one, somehow I never realized there's a second one, and now a third one. Guess I have some catching up to do.

Definitely go back and check the second one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »
He even slips in some country in the title track of the 2nd album. :lol  It's as if someone changed the station and then changed it back.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
He even slips in some country in the title track of the 2nd album. :lol  It's as if someone changed the station and then changed it back.

Yeah, that blues breakdown section is awesome.  Took me by great surprise the first time but I think it's fantastic.