Author Topic: Your biggest complaint about the tour  (Read 55444 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Your biggest complaint about the tour
« Reply #315 on: November 17, 2016, 08:43:02 AM »
Yeah, I can't imagine DT making that mistake.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #316 on: November 17, 2016, 08:52:47 AM »
I'm really not thrilled at all they dropped songs from The Astonishing in order to fit Pull Me Under, As I Am and The Spirit Carries On. Those three songs have been played TO DEATH, and they aren't playing The Astonishing on its entirety ever again. I haven't read to detail if it was a curfew thing or one night thing, but either way I don't think that's very cool.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #317 on: November 17, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »
...now how about ditching the click-track, guys?? :)

Well, that is one of the things I mentioned.  So at the very least, they are aware of how the fans feel about it, and if they decide to still keep it, at least they are making an informed decision.

Just want you guys to know that a lot of the things mentioned in this thread have been passed on to the band.  Trust me when I say that they care about what we think.  But also trust me when I say that they also want to be able to present their artistic vision in a way that makes sense to them, and that even aside from that, there are reasons for doing some things certain ways that may not make sense to us that just have to be done that way for a tour to make sense.  So even if they do not change things to cater to what we, the fans, may think we want to see or hear, they do care about what we think, and they do their best to try to create a balance that caters to as many needs as possible.

Are we about to find out that there will not be a single concert filmed for a DVD/Bluray, and instead, the band has filmed footage from every single show and each track will be from a different venue? That'd be pretty awesome actually.

Looks like that will be the case. ...

Um, no, there has been NOTHING to indicate that that is the case.  Not sure why you would think that.  They have said nothing of the kind.  I mean, I'm not saying it isn't a possibility.  But the band has not said or done anything to indicate that that is what they are doing, so it's a huge leap to make that assumption.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #318 on: November 17, 2016, 11:49:14 AM »
...now how about ditching the click-track, guys?? :)

Well, that is one of the things I mentioned.  So at the very least, they are aware of how the fans feel about it, and if they decide to still keep it, at least they are making an informed decision.

Just want you guys to know that a lot of the things mentioned in this thread have been passed on to the band.  Trust me when I say that they care about what we think.  But also trust me when I say that they also want to be able to present their artistic vision in a way that makes sense to them, and that even aside from that, there are reasons for doing some things certain ways that may not make sense to us that just have to be done that way for a tour to make sense.  So even if they do not change things to cater to what we, the fans, may think we want to see or hear, they do care about what we think, and they do their best to try to create a balance that caters to as many needs as possible.

Are we about to find out that there will not be a single concert filmed for a DVD/Bluray, and instead, the band has filmed footage from every single show and each track will be from a different venue? That'd be pretty awesome actually.

Looks like that will be the case. ...

Um, no, there has been NOTHING to indicate that that is the case.  Not sure why you would think that.  They have said nothing of the kind.  I mean, I'm not saying it isn't a possibility.  But the band has not said or done anything to indicate that that is what they are doing, so it's a huge leap to make that assumption.

I haven't been to any of the concerts, since they never come to my country, but I've been reading posts on the band's FB (not necessarily a credible source) from people who have attended some
of the last concerts and meet & greets, who said they heard the band is recording all their concerts and, if you look closely, you can see Jordan now has a GoPro on his keyboard and he didn't have it at the start of the tour.

Of course, this is just assuming stuff, we don't take it as facts :)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #319 on: November 17, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »
Jordan has had different types of cameras mounted on or around his keyboard rig throughout the years.  He is constantly experimenting with different setups.  So that doesn't mean anything. 

As for rumors about whether the band might be recording their shows, that doesn't really prove anything either (except that people like posting rumors on Facebook, but what else is new?).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #320 on: November 17, 2016, 01:11:34 PM »
 :omg:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #321 on: November 17, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
Jordan has had different types of cameras mounted on or around his keyboard rig throughout the years.  He is constantly experimenting with different setups.  So that doesn't mean anything. 

As for rumors about whether the band might be recording their shows, that doesn't really prove anything either (except that people like posting rumors on Facebook, but what else is new?).

You're right about Jordan setup.

I do remember, though, reading either JP or MM saying that there were no cameras on them for this tour. Tried to find the post, but couldn't.

Hope they record one single concert and not make it a compilation like CIM or 5YIAL  :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #322 on: November 17, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »

I do remember, though, reading either JP or MM saying that there were no cameras on them for this tour. Tried to find the post, but couldn't.

Hope they record one single concert and not make it a compilation like CIM or 5YIAL  :-\

They got some pretty good footage in order to make this promo...

https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheater/videos/10153780086462181/

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #323 on: November 17, 2016, 07:59:57 PM »

They got some pretty good footage in order to make this promo...

https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheater/videos/10153780086462181/

I think that was from the Our New World video? But yes, it looks amazing :)

Offline jsbru

« Reply #324 on: December 08, 2016, 10:35:49 PM »

That's kind of the way they put together the Our New World music video.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #325 on: December 08, 2016, 10:40:48 PM »
Oh jeez...that's what, a 3-week jinx?  I should read the whole thread before I post on previous posts.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Lethean

« Reply #326 on: December 12, 2016, 10:39:30 AM »

I think it's cool that they take fan opinions into consideration.  At the same time, I'm glad for the bolded part and hope they continue to do it their way.  I also hope they don't think that everyone hated this tour.  I took the time to read the whole thread so I wouldn't just be coming in and saying things the don't make sense.  Since this is the complaint thread, it makes sense that it would be full of complaints.  :)  Yet there are also a lot of positives in this same thread, and more in the individual show threads.  Even aside from that, I don't feel that all the complaints in this thread are indicative of what the general fanbase who went to the shows felt as a whole.  Just like my feelings (that this album and tour was one of their very best) probably aren't indicative of it either.   It's somewhere in the middle, but I think it leans much more to the positive than the negative.

I went to several shows on the tour, and tried to talk to different fans at each one, and observe people's reactions.  I think the shows went off quite well.  Some went in unsure of whether they would like it and came away wanting to listen to the album more.  At just about every show, multiple people were talking about JLB's performance and "acting" and how it brought everything to life. Only one person said they wanted a female singer and everyone else around said no way.  People who were sitting in the seats calmly that I thought were bored or not into it, were excited at intermission and after the encore, talking about all the things they loved.  The camera policy had the most mixed reactions I suppose - a lot of people loved it and a lot of people hated it.  There was a lot of excitement around the show and I hope they realize that for every complaint, there were more people who were really happy.  Not everyone cares that whether they use a click track or not, not everyone thought they shows were boring, or the band was lifeless.  (In fact I thought they were more animated on the second leg and MM, JP, and JLB upped their game).  I'm sure there were people who went that didn't like it so much, but most that I came across weren't in that category.  I think the biggest problem with the second leg attendance was logistics - too many of these shows were in cities that were close together and in markets that are smaller than they usually play in the first place.

If I had to give some constructive feedback, I'd say the sitting/standing thing was confusing.  In an earlier post, someone said that ushers yelled at people to sit down.  I never saw that happen, but at most shows I saw, either everyone sat or it was mixed. At a few, everyone got up as soon as the band came out on stage and stayed that way for the whole night.  No one seemed really sure if the band wanted people to sit or not or if they were even allowed to stand. At the sitting shows, fans around me seemed really happy when JLB asked everyone to stand.  So I guess, if they truly want people to sit, maybe they should communicate that somehow, and expect that it's naturally going to bring the fan energy down a little - someone who is sitting might be enjoying the show just as much, but it doesn't necessarily appear that way.  If they want people to stand, and it sure seemed like JP did, make sure the ushers don't yell at them for doing so for starters, and maybe try to encourage them to get up earlier in the night and see what happens. 

But everything else I think comes down to opinion and we all have different ones, so they should do what they feel is best for them.  Phones or no phones?  Up to them.  I guess another suggestion I could give is that they make more of the professional photos available - put them on their website for people to download so they can get pics from the show they were at.  Click track or not?  Whatever they think works best for them.  Actors and props on stage?  I think it could have been cool, but it's hard to say.  A nomac hanging from the ceiling would have been very cool, but wouldn't have made the show any better.  More singers?  Not after what JLB showed he was able to pull off. 

I know the tour is over and you've shared feedback with the band and they're probably enjoying their time off and then will be focused on the I&W tour, but I wanted bring some of the positive side to it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #327 on: December 13, 2016, 08:45:22 AM »
^Great post^
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #328 on: December 13, 2016, 01:05:48 PM »
^Great post^

Seconded. Welcome to the forums, Vakaren.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #329 on: December 14, 2016, 12:21:15 AM »
Many thanks :)