Author Topic: Your biggest complaint about the tour  (Read 55481 times)

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
Re: Your biggest complaint about the tour
« Reply #280 on: November 09, 2016, 07:43:27 PM »
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if those additional songs are rehearsed for DVD material.
Oh thank Xenu. I've been hoping they'd finally do The Spirit Carries On on a DVD.

Havent they already on a few of their live albums and not to mention the drummer audition dvd packaged with ADToE?

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. ;) :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #281 on: November 10, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »
Saw the show last night in KC.

As I Am, The Spirit Carries On, and Pull Me Under were the three oldies they played.

And honestly, it was the best part of the show.  The crowd was totally stoked when they came out for the final encore and played those 3.  It was awesome.

I felt bad for the band, actually.  It was a pretty small venue (~3500 I think) and it was only about half full.  And they were super strict about cell phones, not even letting people use them before the show, or during intermission.
Don't feel too bad for them. The cellphone thing is their own doing, and the low turnout is something they had to have been expecting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #282 on: November 10, 2016, 11:47:34 AM »
If they play that at my show, I will shit twice and die, right there in my seat.

And I reiterate, that poor security guard.

Indeed.

Maybe you should wear an adult diaper and baby wipes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #283 on: November 11, 2016, 09:10:42 AM »
According to setlist-FM they cut the same songs last night. I sure hope it's a curfew issue and not something they decides to do to add the encore songs. Because, my friend hasn't seen the astonishing live yet and may likely go with me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: November 11, 2016, 09:23:13 AM »
Just when you thought DT was turning the tide and doing what the fans wanted... that is sad if they are truly cutting out the end of TA to fit those songs.  While I wanted this type of encore all along, I wouldn't of wanted it to take away from TA, just in addition to TA. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #285 on: November 11, 2016, 09:52:18 AM »
Just when you thought DT was turning the tide and doing what the fans wanted... that is sad if they are truly cutting out the end of TA to fit those songs.  While I wanted this type of encore all along, I wouldn't of wanted it to take away from TA, just in addition to TA.

Spot on, I feel the exact same way. I'm just glad I got to see TA performed in its entirety.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #286 on: November 11, 2016, 11:13:37 AM »
At least in my book, this whole album and tour was such a clusterfuck, it's best to let it come to an end quickly and start completely fresh.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: November 11, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »
At least in my book, this whole album and tour was such a clusterfuck, it's best to let it come to an end quickly and start completely fresh.

I would just say the second US leg was the clusterfuck.  I would think the rest of the tour was fine even if it had it's faults.  Like, I am sure the next tour will have it's own set of faults and whatnot, nothing is perfect, but to me, this second US leg where the demand was low was really the problem more so than the initial run of shows that didn't sell poorly (maybe not as good as previous tours, but I don't think they would be labelled as poorly attended).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #288 on: November 11, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »
Well, to be honest, I am sure the second leg would have been better attended if the first leg had been fantastic to watch. But there were just so many things: the cellphone Nazis, running out of programs in cities, the lack of decoration etc etc, all of that on top of an already pretty badly-received album. I think a lot of people went to the first leg thinking "let's see, maybe this pulls it all together", but then realized that it didn't and figured there's no point watching a carbon copy of the first leg again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: November 11, 2016, 12:03:52 PM »
I totally agree, but I don't think that makes the first leg a clusterfuck, just makes it poorly received.  To take a poorly received product on  a much larger road show is where the clusterfuck forms IMO.

Offline OldRodKS

« Reply #290 on: November 14, 2016, 01:23:07 PM »
According to setlist-FM they cut the same songs last night. I sure hope it's a curfew issue and not something they decides to do to add the encore songs. Because, my friend hasn't seen the astonishing live yet and may likely go with me.

There was no curfew in KC as far as I know, and they cut songs to make room for the 2nd encore.  But as I said, I was so happy to see that 2nd encore.  It made the entire show bearable.  Not that the show to that point had been *bad*, but that was the first rock show I've ever been to in my (long) life that everyone sat down the entire show, even those in the front few rows.  Only until a couple songs from the end, when LaBrie told people to get up, did anyone stand.

But in the 2nd encore, the entire theater was on its feet, fists pumping.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »
Just want you guys to know that a lot of the things mentioned in this thread have been passed on to the band.  Trust me when I say that they care about what we think.  But also trust me when I say that they also want to be able to present their artistic vision in a way that makes sense to them, and that even aside from that, there are reasons for doing some things certain ways that may not make sense to us that just have to be done that way for a tour to make sense.  So even if they do not change things to cater to what we, the fans, may think we want to see or hear, they do care about what we think, and they do their best to try to create a balance that caters to as many needs as possible.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: November 14, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »
Just want you guys to know that a lot of the things mentioned in this thread have been passed on to the band.  Trust me when I say that they care about what we think.  But also trust me when I say that they also want to be able to present their artistic vision in a way that makes sense to them, and that even aside from that, there are reasons for doing some things certain ways that may not make sense to us that just have to be done that way for a tour to make sense.  So even if they do not change things to cater to what we, the fans, may think we want to see or hear, they do care about what we think, and they do their best to try to create a balance that caters to as many needs as possible.

:tup :tup  and that is a tough balance for them, as much as I had my complaints, I certainly do not wish for DT to change their creativeness and vision for their art.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: November 14, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »
Agreed. At the end of the day, it's their decision. They are an amazing group, but they aren't perfect. I can't really expect them to be. If they have this vision in the their mind, and they go for it, and it doesn't turn out as amazing to the fans as they'd hoped, oh well. It happens all the time. I'm happy that they are trying and are still passionate.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: November 14, 2016, 03:17:43 PM »

There was no curfew in KC as far as I know, and they cut songs to make room for the 2nd encore.  But as I said, I was so happy to see that 2nd encore.  It made the entire show bearable.  Not that the show to that point had been *bad*, but that was the first rock show I've ever been to in my (long) life that everyone sat down the entire show, even those in the front few rows.  Only until a couple songs from the end, when LaBrie told people to get up, did anyone stand.

But in the 2nd encore, the entire theater was on its feet, fists pumping.

Just looked up the setlist for the show. Nice little encore.

I think I said in the past the only thing that is keeping me from this show in Florida is that it is the Astonishing. I don't really care for the album and I'd much rather see some other material so if they go ahead and do another run then I'll for sure be out ther .

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2016, 03:23:54 PM »
Well, to be honest, I am sure the second leg would have been better attended if the first leg had been fantastic to watch. But there were just so many things: the cellphone Nazis, running out of programs in cities, the lack of decoration etc etc

I agree with the cell phone Nazis! If I had my way, cell phones wouldn't be allowed at concerts. I find it very distracting when I'm enjoying a great concert and the person in front of me is holding up that damn bright screen blocking my view. I find it rude and inconsiderate.  Maybe a picture or two, but most people don't get it and never know when to stop.  >:(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2016, 04:12:55 PM »
Well, to be honest, I am sure the second leg would have been better attended if the first leg had been fantastic to watch. But there were just so many things: the cellphone Nazis, running out of programs in cities, the lack of decoration etc etc

I agree with the cell phone Nazis! If I had my way, cell phones wouldn't be allowed at concerts. I find it very distracting when I'm enjoying a great concert and the person in front of me is holding up that damn bright screen blocking my view. I find it rude and inconsiderate.  Maybe a picture or two, but most people don't get it and never know when to stop.  >:(

Couldn't you just kindly ask him to put his phone away.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #297 on: November 15, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »

Couldn't you just kindly ask him to put his phone away.
That's exactly what I did at a concert last summer. If the person with the device has any common sense, it shouldn't have to come to that.. :-\
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #298 on: November 15, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »
The show was a major success.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #299 on: November 16, 2016, 07:46:52 AM »

There are many ways to deal with the situation, and DT arguably found the worst. The ushers in Boston were downright rude, and people who've seen DT at other venues have confirmed the same.

People want mementos of the show they go to, that's natural. DT could make a shit ton of additional money by recording the show with a camera on the soundboard, upload to YouTube, charge money. That's the *actual* solution to the problem, not being nasty to fans who are excited about the band and want to have a video of it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #300 on: November 16, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »
I don't understand why we haven't seen a "crowd mode" setting for camera phones yet. If you're pointing your phone at the stage, you don't need a whole 4.3"+ to see what you're aiming at. They could leave the entire screen black with the exception of a .75"x.75" square in the corner. You'd still know what you were aiming at, and you wouldn't be driving everyone behind you nuts. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: November 16, 2016, 08:46:05 AM »
I don't understand why we haven't seen a "crowd mode" setting for camera phones yet. If you're pointing your phone at the stage, you don't need a whole 4.3"+ to see what you're aiming at. They could leave the entire screen black with the exception of a .75"x.75" square in the corner. You'd still know what you were aiming at, and you wouldn't be driving everyone behind you nuts.

While I think that's a cool idea, do you think the people who are the most annoying with their phones would opt to run the camera in that node anyway?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #302 on: November 16, 2016, 09:08:18 AM »

While I think that's a cool idea, do you think the people who are the most annoying with their phones would opt to run the camera in that node anyway?

Hopefully most would use it. But as always, there'd be people who just don't give a fuck.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: November 16, 2016, 10:21:49 AM »
 :lol that's kind of where I was going.  I don't find the majority of phone/camera users to be annoying.  It's always just that one person who takes it to another level.  It's that person that I doubt uses it, but I guess even if 50% of the people used such a mode, it would help.

Offline OldRodKS

« Reply #304 on: November 16, 2016, 01:26:31 PM »
I don't mind people using their phones, as long as they keep them down at eye level.  If I can't see over them, their phone won't block anything that I can't already see :)

I did see one person taking pictures with an iPad at a Rush show once.  That was a bit annoying.

How do people record usable videos on their phones anyway?  I tried to video a part of a concert once on my phone and the music was so loud that all I got was noise distortion during playback. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: November 16, 2016, 01:28:46 PM »
I don't mind people using their phones, as long as they keep them down at eye level.  If I can't see over them, their phone won't block anything that I can't already see :)

I did see one person taking pictures with an iPad at a Rush show once.  That was a bit annoying.

How do people record usable videos on their phones anyway?  I tried to video a part of a concert once on my phone and the music was so loud that all I got was noise distortion during playback.

Depends on the phone.  My old Samsung S5 was terrible with audio, then the S6 improved but was still shit, and now my S7 captures concert audio really well.  I used to bring my old Razr Max droid to concerts when I had my S5 cause it recorded audio really well and clean.  Like I could hear the audio better on playback than when I was there with my own ears.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #306 on: November 17, 2016, 01:12:02 AM »

I fully understand the reasons why the band want to present The Astonishing live as one piece of work. I totally support them in that. I'm merely trying to explain why I wouldn't spend my hard earned money to see it again.

DT have been one of my favourite bands for 24 years now - that's more than half my life. I love the band, and I love 90% of what they do - apologies if I spend too long concentrating on that other 10%! Nice to know they listen to fan feedback - now how about ditching the click-track, guys?? :)
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #307 on: November 17, 2016, 03:00:10 AM »
I guess they're skipping X Aspect also - they did in Anaheim, anyway.  It made for a little awkward - meaning "not what I was expecting - start to A New Beginning.  Missing Road to Revolution bothered me less than I expected.  I love the track but the solo to end A New Beginning is such a "Drop the Mike" kind of moment that going straight to the intermission worked fine.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #308 on: November 17, 2016, 05:53:03 AM »

Are we about to find out that there will not be a single concert filmed for a DVD/Bluray, and instead, the band has filmed footage from every single show and each track will be from a different venue? That'd be pretty awesome actually.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #309 on: November 17, 2016, 05:57:20 AM »
I hate that. I like live albums to be one show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #310 on: November 17, 2016, 05:59:10 AM »

The show was to a click, they could just take the audio from the best performance (minus that beast of a guitar solo) and dub it to pretty much any of the footage and we'd probably not even notice. The stage went dark between almost every song. I think it'd be alright. But that's just me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2016, 06:03:12 AM »
I just like knowing that the continuity came from one show. But that's just me. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2016, 08:20:12 AM »

The show was to a click, they could just take the audio from the best performance (minus that beast of a guitar solo) and dub it to pretty much any of the footage and we'd probably not even notice. The stage went dark between almost every song. I think it'd be alright. But that's just me.

While I might not notice, I am sure this forum would notice  :lol

I prefer the one show DVD as well.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #313 on: November 17, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »
Nice to know they listen to fan feedback - now how about ditching the click-track, guys?? :)

They can't stop using the click track because they're playing with a whole production of video, lights and samples that are activated on specific moments of the set. Many bands use click tracks now, like Steven Wilson's and Haken, just to name a couple.

As a musician myself, I find it that playing to a metronome live helps the band to sound more cohesive and it is tighter from start to finish. Playing to a click doesn't make you lose the feel at all.

In contrast, listen to some older live DT albums and you'll notice. For example, New Millenium at Budokan was played too fast and it lost something that way.

Not trying to sound angry, btw, just my take on the matter :biggrin:

Are we about to find out that there will not be a single concert filmed for a DVD/Bluray, and instead, the band has filmed footage from every single show and each track will be from a different venue? That'd be pretty awesome actually.

Looks like that will be the case. Not the best thing to do imo, but if it works for them, and if they come up with something better, quality wise, than CIM, that's perfect. That way, they could probably add the version of Our New World with Lzzy Hale and also keep other versions of the songs they removed from the setlist, like Heaven's Cove and the others.
We'll probably have to wait untill this 2nd US leg is over to get some news on a Live release, and if the're going to tour for TA, after the IAW anniversary, on Asia and Australia.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: November 17, 2016, 08:37:06 AM »
If a potential live release did not include the songs that have just been dropped then that would be a ridiculously dumb decision IMO.