Author Topic: Your biggest complaint about the tour  (Read 55445 times)

Offline As I Am

• Banned
Re: Your biggest complaint about the tour
« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2016, 09:29:01 AM »
To those who went to the Newark show, is it true that there were less than 500 people in the audience? :( A buddy of mine went (scalped a 3rd row ticket for $10) and said it was embarrassingly empty. :facepalm:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2016, 09:38:24 AM »
Side note, cram, I did a double take when I first looked over and saw that woman you were next to because from behind her hair looked a lot like Max Portnoy's :lol

:lol

To those who went to the Newark show, is it true that there were less than 500 people in the audience? :( A buddy of mine went (scalped a 3rd row ticket for $10) and said it was embarrassingly empty. :facepalm:

Possibly.  It was not close to being full and the baclonies (all 5 of them) were mostly empty.  The band looked completely uninterested as well.  However, as I said, I think it was up there as one of my favorite DT concerts out of the 12 or so I've gone to.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »
All the had to do was play A Change of Seasons as an encore.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2016, 09:55:56 AM »
Let me first say that the concert last night was AWESOME.  I was in the first row and really enjoyed the show overall.  I felt like they were playing to me and only to me.  Such a cool experience.

But this is the complaint thread and I have a couple new complaints that I did not experience at the previous show I saw on this tour.

No crowd interaction from the band.  At the end of the show after the encore, the band bowed on stage and just left.  I managed to shake Petrucci's hand and I was one of the only lucky ones to have any contact with the band, but no pics thrown into the crowd, no drum sticks, no one else besides JP even came close to the edge of the stage.  After the left and security started telling people to leave, I noticed the set lists were still on the floor of the stage.  I asked the roadie if I could have one of the three on the floor and got ignored and then forced out by security.  A LOT of people were complaining and bitching about the lack of even recognizing the crowd.

The lady sitting next to me also got yelled at to sit down during the first song.  She would not stop yelling about it the entire show which was annoying but she had a point.  Quite a few people came up to her to fist bump during intermission and security came over and told us that they were told not allowed to stand at all and also no pics before/during/intermission/after the show.  Which was not the situation at RCMH.  The security did say that it would be cool if we stood at the end cause we warned the security that the band will expect it.
Setlists? What did it say, "SAME AS LAST NIGHT."?

There was actually a commotion about people standing in Wallingford. I was somewhat taken aback by it. I'd prefer to sit, myself, but I defend anybody's right to stand at a concert. I've never seen people so aggravated about it, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »

:lol yea I find it odd they needed setlists laid out as well, but even more odd that it seems they must re-use them or something (they were laminated and taped pretty well to the floor).  That roadie gave me the dirtiest look and ignore for asking for it. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »

:lol yea I find it odd they needed setlists laid out as well, but even more odd that it seems they must re-use them or something (they were laminated and taped pretty well to the floor).  That roadie gave me the dirtiest look and ignore for asking for it. 

When I went to Denver in May, the "setlist" I got was just notes, count ins, when to come in, for certain songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2016, 11:52:48 AM »
Not sure why that wouldn't be incorporated into the click. It's not like they're changing anything.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #182 on: October 20, 2016, 11:57:27 AM »
Not sure why that wouldn't be incorporated into the click. It's not like they're changing anything.

It's more for the show part. Let me find it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: October 20, 2016, 12:01:37 PM »

Not only that, but what show # is it now?  They've been doing the show for awhile, and from watching them up close and seeing their facial expressions, it seems they can do the show for the most part with their eyes shut from experience.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #184 on: October 20, 2016, 12:13:34 PM »
Maybe they're disappointed with the fan turnout on this leg of the tour and they're just about ready for a break.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
Maybe they're disappointed with the fan turnout on this leg of the tour and they're just about ready for a break.

That would be my guess. The band would probably be much more enthusiastic to play to a packed house rather than a half-full room. Not making excuses for them, just saying.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2016, 12:28:03 PM »

That would be my guess. The band would probably be much more enthusiastic to play to a packed house rather than a half-full room. Not making excuses for them, just saying.

Agreed as well.  It seemed the band finally showed some life at the end when they asked the crowd to stand at the end.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #187 on: October 20, 2016, 12:29:22 PM »

Agreed as well.  It seemed the band finally showed some life at the end when they asked the crowd to stand at the end.

I don't think you're making excuses for them. It's just what it is.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #188 on: October 20, 2016, 03:21:45 PM »

I think an extra half hour of music (non Astonishing) would have pleased audiences a bit more.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2016, 06:51:07 AM »
I think an extra half hour of music (non Astonishing) would have pleased audiences a bit more.

I don't have an issue with the first US leg of this tour being TA only and nothing else. The band felt like they wanted to promote the album in this way, I think it makes sense to do it as a stand-alone performance, and attendance seemed to be pretty good for the first leg (the show I was at was sold out).

Where I think they made the mistake was doing a second leg without changing anything up, hitting a lot of small markets. The demand just isn't going to be there for that. I could have driven about 2 hours to see them on the second leg and didn't. Usually, I would, but I already saw the show on the first leg, loved it but I'm good. Now if they were playing in my city, I'd probably go to support the band and because I really do like TA a lot, but travel to see the same show again? No thanks. It's already been posted a couple times but it's worth posting again. Even if they just added an encore, something like A Change of Seasons, I'd be in.  I'd travel over 2 hours to the middle of nowhere Ohio and see the show again just to see that rarity played.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2016, 09:34:46 AM »
^^^Exactly this. They should have kept TA to a select amount of dates to make it special. Then do a second leg, with the first half a TA "suite" and then after intermission, come back with a knock out set list and encore. I know I probably would have hit a couple of shows with that format for sure.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »
^^^Exactly this. They should have kept TA to a select amount of dates to make it special. Then do a second leg, with the first half a TA "suite" and then after intermission, come back with a knock out set list and encore. I know I probably would have hit a couple of shows with that format for sure.

The thing with this too is that they could have kept the video show for this format as well.  The first half of the set already had the videos and the second half could have just been basic videos (stock footage from songs that had visuals in the past) or just added basic colors to go along with them to at least be able to pay off the investment made in the stage show... which IMO is a large reason to do the 2nd leg.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »
Christ, if they were relying on a second leg to recoup the initial investment they're really SOL&JWF. At the same time, I didn't think the stage show was much more than what they were already touring with.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2016, 11:08:49 AM »
Christ, if they were relying on a second leg to recoup the initial investment they're really SOL&JWF. At the same time, I didn't think the stage show was much more than what they were already touring with.

That was just my guess, so don't take it as truth or anything cause I don't know shit.  Just the way I feel about how the band stated they invested much into the tour.  But agreed, the end result wasn't much more than what they toured with from DT12.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2016, 11:27:45 AM »

That was just my guess, so don't take it as truth or anything cause I don't know shit.  Just the way I feel about how the band stated they invested much into the tour.  But agreed, the end result wasn't much more than what they toured with from DT12.

I agree the end result wasn't that far off of the DT12 tour, which I think was a really good show. But, I'd assume the upfront costs for this production were more, hiring that video company from Canada, doing all those animations, that stuff ain't cheap.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2016, 06:04:10 PM »
Honestly, it still felt cheap though. That intro voice was tacky as hell, and many of the animations were obviously just people jumping around in front of a green screen. I felt at the very least there should have been a NOMAC or two suspended from the ceiling.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2016, 09:50:59 AM »
Honestly, it still felt cheap though. That intro voice was tacky as hell, and many of the animations were obviously just people jumping around in front of a green screen. I felt at the very least there should have been a NOMAC or two suspended from the ceiling.

Well, that's all on you and your expectations for the live show.

I honestly didn't know what to expect and those shadow people were a nice touch.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2016, 12:05:51 PM »

I honestly didn't know what to expect and those shadow people were a nice touch.

I disagree.  DT has advertised this as a special experience with focus on the visuals.  The band said it would be special hence the expectations. The end result was nothing more special than what a lot of other bands are doing now.  I thought they were great overall, but still not up to the expectations that DT set in their promotion for the tour.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2016, 12:27:12 PM »

I disagree.  DT has advertised this as a special experience with focus on the visuals.  The band said it would be special hence the expectations. The end result was nothing more special than what a lot of other bands are doing now.  I thought they were great overall, but still not up to the expectations that DT set in their promotion for the tour.

I loved the screen setup on this tour. It conveyed the story pretty well, and it looked dope when it was just doing effects. I hope they keep it. Early on, the way the band was describing the show and the stage, they made it sound like there'd be sets and scenery changes. Instead all we got was two lampposts and some flags.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2016, 01:07:27 PM »
It's definitely odd. They make a big deal out of only playing in theaters, restricting cell phone use etc etc, and then it's just a metal concert with a few screens. Not even a flyer was handed out to explain the plot.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: October 28, 2016, 01:14:14 PM »
It's definitely odd. They make a big deal out of only playing in theaters, restricting cell phone use etc etc, and then it's just a metal concert with a few screens. Not even a flyer was handed out to explain the plot.

I received one at every show I went to. It gave a bio on all the characters and a description of the story as a whole.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #201 on: October 28, 2016, 01:19:49 PM »
Well that sucks. I for one did not get one in Boston.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #202 on: October 28, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »

You want one? I think I have a spare. I'll mail it to you.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: October 28, 2016, 01:23:49 PM »

Maybe I missed it, but I dont recall seeing these in NJ last week, but I did get one from RCMH on the last leg.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: October 28, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »

Maybe I missed it, but I dont recall seeing these in NJ last week, but I did get one from RCMH on the last leg.

Weird. My girlfriend and I each got one at the Port Chester show just a few days later.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #205 on: October 28, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »
I loved the screen setup on this tour. It conveyed the story pretty well, and it looked dope when it was just doing effects. I hope they keep it.

I'm not sure they can.  I could be mistaken, but I got the impression that the setup belongs to the production company they contracted with.  Even though the stuff was customized for this tour, if it belongs to the production company, they would likely keep it and repurpose it after the tour is over.  But, again, I could be wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: October 28, 2016, 03:13:16 PM »
I loved the screen setup on this tour. It conveyed the story pretty well, and it looked dope when it was just doing effects. I hope they keep it.

I'm not sure they can.  I could be mistaken, but I got the impression that the setup belongs to the production company they contracted with.  Even though the stuff was customized for this tour, if it belongs to the production company, they would likely keep it and repurpose it after the tour is over.  But, again, I could be wrong.

Yea Im sure that is the case with all touring acts, but they could always contract it back out to reuse on the next tour I'd imagine and then re-use the same visuals for TA songs they would perform on said tour and create new ones for whatever else they play.

To be honest though, I think I like the big single screen from the DT12 tour better.  Without the gaps it shows a fuller picture.  However, the smaller screens below the drum kit and along the sides were nice.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #207 on: October 29, 2016, 12:14:32 AM »
Visually speaking, I thought DT12 was a much better show.

Tired of these comments going around. Petrucci compared this tour to The Wall. They created most of the hype.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #208 on: October 29, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »
I had never even heard of JP's comment regarding that, but the official communications left no doubt that that was indeed what it was supposed to be like. To quote directly from dt.net:

" will see the pioneering group performing their widely acclaimed double concept album The Astonishing in immersive and interactive settings for a unique and unparalleled live experience"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2016, 05:43:05 PM »
If I recall, there was an interview with the company that did the visuals that said the scenery change and 3D projection that were advertised ended up being dropped due to time.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen