Author Topic: Your biggest complaint about the tour  (Read 55441 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Your biggest complaint about the tour
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »
I don't recall one of those at the Wallingford, CT show....

I didn't see anything like that either :(

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2016, 09:56:28 AM »
I've never seen Steven's live show, what exactly is so great about his visuals? I've seen the animated music video things he has, is it more like that?

It's nothing overly spectacular, it's just a huge-ass screen behind the band, and they show these beautiful topical videos in the back. E.g. since the last album is about a woman who died in the solitude of London, there's several videos of her being in lonely in the masses of London. The song about the relationship has her interacting with her "lover" in an artisticly shot video. I don't know, it just puts you in the mood so much more than the narrow screens that DT has and the (sometimes rather hackish) videos they show on them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
Yea, like others have said, there was a free program but it wouldn't have given you too much if you had no clue about the story. I don't know if they were selling a more detailed program at the merch stand or not but the free one I got just had track listings and brief character descriptions.

What I meant was that it would have been cool to print up the whole track by track narrative from the website and have that printed in the program they handed out for free. I realize the production cost to make that would have been more but it would have been cool.

The program at the merch stand is kind of like that. It has bios of every character, a detailed story, a letter from each faction. And a whole bunch of live band photos, and information on all their albums. It's actually really cool.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2016, 06:40:41 AM »
I don't recall one of those at the Wallingford, CT show....

I didn't see anything like that either :(

Me three

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »
What's your biggest complaint or complaints about this tour for me

Over hyped when I read articles I thought it was going to be a huge production like the wall  :justjen maybe I mis read it although still enjoyed it and would recommend it to everyone

No DVD how can they not have a live DVD and cd of this wonder if they regret doing the last live DVD imagine how awesome this would of been with the Berkeley choir and orchestra

No flute solo for the astonishing I would of loved jl to do a flute solo during the astonishing that would of been an epic ending

1. DT are not Pink Floyd. They don't have the money to finance a Wall-like production.
2. Their stage production is their biggest yet, and they invested a lot of money, time and effort building it. I think it's pretty unfair to 'complain' about it.  :D
3. They haven't confirmed anything regarding a DVD yet, so that's still pending. Of course it would be awesome to have a full Astonishing live recording with live choir and orchestra, but:
a) For BTFW they learned only 1/3 of the set because it's A LOT of material and I can only imagine it's not cheap to hire them.
b) Recording a DVD requires a lot of work behind the screens, and they're pretty focused on the live experience these days.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2016, 10:12:35 AM »
I've never seen Steven's live show, what exactly is so great about his visuals? I've seen the animated music video things he has, is it more like that?

It's nothing overly spectacular, it's just a huge-ass screen behind the band, and they show these beautiful topical videos in the back. E.g. since the last album is about a woman who died in the solitude of London, there's several videos of her being in lonely in the masses of London. The song about the relationship has her interacting with her "lover" in an artisticly shot video. I don't know, it just puts you in the mood so much more than the narrow screens that DT has and the (sometimes rather hackish) videos they show on them.

I think it goes without saying, too, that SW views a video as another form of artistic expression, while DT kind of views theirs as a means to an end, almost like something they have to do to promote themselves, hence SW's always being great and DT's usually being not very good.

Regarding the original question asked in this thread, I am not seeing this tour, but based on what I have read, the lack of imagination with regards to what they show on the video screens seems to be one glaring error.  Many have said that if you have no idea what the story is about going on, you will still have no idea after seeing the concert; that is kind of strange.  And given that, I don't see the point in doing a DVD of this tour.  The performance won't come close to topping the album, and if the video screens do nothing to help the understanding of the story, what is the point?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2016, 10:46:29 AM »
Question: was sitting during pretty much the entire show intended by the band or just a freak thing that happened in Chicago? At first I felt really bad, but if that's what the band wanted, then it's fine.

I ask because even if it was intended by the band, I'd say it really lowered the amount of energy in the audience. I know the concert is supposed to feel more like an opera than usual, but the band members are still performing directly to the audience. And when there's a rocking part of a song, and they're rocking out to a still and reclined audience, it feels kind of one-sided and almost sad.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
Question: was sitting during pretty much the entire show intended by the band or just a freak thing that happened in Chicago? At first I felt really bad, but if that's what the band wanted, then it's fine.

I ask because even if it was intended by the band, I'd say it really lowered the amount of energy in the audience. I know the concert is supposed to feel more like an opera than usual, but the band members are still performing directly to the audience. And when there's a rocking part of a song, and they're rocking out to a still and reclined audience, it feels kind of one-sided and almost sad.

Budakon Is the same way. I remember them talking about it on the behind the scenes. I remember MP saying something about Japanese audiences, somewhere
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2016, 11:06:44 AM »
I know culturally that's a common thing in Japan. I just haven't had a concert experience like that in the US before, though I'll admit I haven't seen DT in a few years. This could be the norm, and I just forgot. :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2016, 11:10:57 AM »
I know culturally that's a common thing in Japan. I just haven't had a concert experience like that in the US before, though I'll admit I haven't seen DT in a few years. This could be the norm, and I just forgot. :lol

The only time I had that experience was when Joe Satriani toured here for Unstoppable Momentum.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2016, 11:32:18 AM »
Near the end, JLB had to tell everyone to stand up, and he commented that everyone's butts had to feel numb by this point. I couldn't tell if he was a bit put off or if he was just joking.

Offline CB

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2016, 01:51:02 PM »

In the (3) shows I saw in Europe the audience was sitting during the entire show except ONW and TA. I don't know how it felt to the band but playing in the kind of theaters they chose, fully seated, it's what they had to expect. You don't stand up during an opera/musical/theater show, except the encore.

Offline Cable

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2016, 05:16:30 PM »
Probably already been said, but JP continuing to nuke the sonic spectrum with his MESAs. JM at this point will never be heard. I know bass will never be high in the mix. But geez. JMs bass went out at one point, and you couldn't tell. That said, JPs rhythm tone was so much better than prior tours. I didn't detect any delay and chorus like he was using on his rhythm tone before. Sounded full vs. thin.
---

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2016, 10:08:38 PM »
Well, it's an overall issue with their music really, that they're all in a continuous turf war. JP wants a thick, full-spectrum sound, and JR loves playing both hands. So, they're constantly encroaching on each other's sonic turf, with JM often being the loser of the battle. It also doesn't help that almost everybody plays at any given time. It is my theory that FII sounds so good because Kevin Shirley cut through the tracks with a machete, freeing up that sonic space the instruments needed. MP hated it because it cut away material, but it's what made it sound so good.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:17:35 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2016, 10:51:13 PM »
Well, it's an overall issue with their music really, that they're all in a continuous turf war. JP wants a thick, full-spectrum sound, and JR loves playing both hands. So, they're constantly encroaching on each other's sonic turf, with JM often being the loser of the battle. It also doesn't help that almost everybody plays at any given time. It is my theory that FII sounds so good because Kevin Shirley cut through the tracks with a machete, freeing up that sonic space the instruments needed. MP hated it because it cut away material, but it's what made it sound so good.
I kinda get what you say, but I don't thing that the arrangement and song structure per se (which is the element that was changed the most in FII) had much to do with the album's mixing process. Now, that being said, I think that Shirely's producing helm enabled him to call some important shots in the mixing process like saying: Hey, during this part of the song we should let the keyboards breathe and have the vocals and the guitars come upfront. That's an approach that has been missing ever since SFAM (as much as people, including me, love the album). Everything sounds loud, proud and with arse & balls. Even the 'ballads'.

It's been mentioned a lot in the forum that DT have been in need of an outside producer for quite some time now, and although to some extent I agree I get why they don't want to; because they really don't need one. Their music is still being very well-received, and given the size and budget of a tour like 'The Astonishing' their also not suffering in the financial department, so even though there's a vocal minority like us that love to discuss every little gimmick they won't get any outsider anytime soon. Also, we're talking about a band that has a total of 13 studio albums and a shitload of extra material in their discography, from which only 4 of those albums were produced by someone not in the band. It wouldn't make sense for them to go back and look for a David Prater  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2016, 10:59:50 PM »
I honestly don't have any complaint about the tour. Would I rather see a "catalog" show....of course, but this being presented as it was, actually came off very well. I'm not the biggest fan of the album, nor do I dislike it, but I found the show quite enjoyable.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2016, 07:46:03 AM »
A few general thoughts from me:

- I don't have any complaints about the tour. Many of the problems that people seem to bring up, such as a slightly muddy mix, have been problems at virtually every concert I've ever attended.

- I really loved the visuals at the show I went to. The one weird thing is how each character only seems to have one picture that they keep using over and over in various situations. At one point, I think they show Faythe in a bed, and she's still wearing a hood? :lol

- There are financial limits to what DT can do, and I'm surprised that some people didn't know that. The idea that they would be able to do something like The Wall seems totally unrealistic to me, but then again, the band did mention The Wall specifically in some interviews when discussing their live show, so many that's on them. I dunno.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:22:33 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2016, 07:58:50 AM »
My complaints have almost all been minor.  The visuals were mostly awesome if you ask me, my only complaint is they only told such minor parts of the story, I thought they could have done more to play out the story otherwise the visuals aren't any more different than what was used in the previous tour.

And the issue with sitting/no phones is more just annoying and takes away from the fun of a concert experience.  I'm all good with this on this scenario though because it seems that's just the way this album is presented.  This would only be a real problem if it ended up becoming the norm for DT. 

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2016, 04:27:56 PM »
Regarding the original question asked in this thread, I am not seeing this tour, but based on what I have read, the lack of imagination with regards to what they show on the video screens seems to be one glaring error.  Many have said that if you have no idea what the story is about going on, you will still have no idea after seeing the concert; that is kind of strange.  And given that, I don't see the point in doing a DVD of this tour.  The performance won't come close to topping the album, and if the video screens do nothing to help the understanding of the story, what is the point?

The video screens added nothing in my opinion. Some of it was really corny  :corn actually  :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2016, 04:55:25 PM »
I thought the video screens were fine, except for the notable scene where Faythe was sleeping in her black cloak with the hood pulled up. :lol

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2016, 06:16:03 AM »
I was a little unsure about this tour, given the negative comments, but it was unfounded.  The concert was GREAT!  My biggest complaint? NONE.  I might be able to come up with some very nit picky stuff, but why?  I'm not going to overanalyze it and find something wrong.  It was great, I enjoyed myself, loved the performance, lighting, screens, everything.

I certainly understand that we all like to discuss it in great detail, this is DTF after all.  If there were certain parts that bugged people, that's fine, but don't let it ruin the whole show.

If anyone has an opportunity to go, I would recommend that you do and just try to have some fun :)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2016, 06:20:15 AM »
I thought the video screens were fine, except for the notable scene where Faythe was sleeping in her black cloak with the hood pulled up. :lol

I like the screens, but I wish they were closer together. The images were super awkward at times because there was so much space between them.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2016, 06:29:09 AM »
I was a little unsure about this tour, given the negative comments, but it was unfounded.  The concert was GREAT!  My biggest complaint? NONE.  I might be able to come up with some very nit picky stuff, but why?  I'm not going to overanalyze it and find something wrong.  It was great, I enjoyed myself, loved the performance, lighting, screens, everything.

I certainly understand that we all like to discuss it in great detail, this is DTF after all.  If there were certain parts that bugged people, that's fine, but don't let it ruin the whole show.

If anyone has an opportunity to go, I would recommend that you do and just try to have some fun :)

That's exactly what I'm going to do tonight. Just gonna enjoy the show and have fun.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2016, 07:48:13 AM »

I like the screens, but I wish they were closer together. The images were super awkward at times because there was so much space between them.

That's actually something I personally enjoyed surprisingly.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2016, 02:42:32 PM »

That's exactly what I'm going to do tonight. Just gonna enjoy the show and have fun.

:tup

Offline earlilano

« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »
Quick question. How long is the concert from start to end? For those that were able to do meet and greets how many hours prior to doors opening was the meet and greet? Were you able to go to the merchandise store before everyone else got in?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2016, 06:42:27 PM »
The time of the meet and greet should be specified in your meet and greet package.  The merch stand is generally NOT open until doors.  The show itself, including intermission, is about 3 hours I believe. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline earlilano

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »
Thanks. Songkick has yet to send me the meet and greet info for the show this Saturday.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2016, 10:29:04 PM »
Quick question. How long is the concert from start to end? For those that were able to do meet and greets how many hours prior to doors opening was the meet and greet? Were you able to go to the merchandise store before everyone else got in?
For Minnesota, the show started shortly after 7:30 and we were walking out around 10:15
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline earlilano

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2016, 11:36:34 PM »
For Minnesota, the show started shortly after 7:30 and we were walking out around 10:15

Thanks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2016, 12:35:22 AM »
I think their backing tracks messed up.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2016, 06:25:03 AM »
If I remember correctly, RCMH started at 8 and was over by 10:30.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »
Yeah, it was a pretty tight ship -- house lights went down maybe 2 or 3 minutes after 8 and we were easily out of the building before 11.  Might depend on the venue -- some places charge huge fees if you overrun your event time, so I'm sure the band was mindful of that.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »
Yeah, it was a pretty tight ship -- house lights went down maybe 2 or 3 minutes after 8 and we were easily out of the building before 11.  Might depend on the venue -- some places charge huge fees if you overrun your event time, so I'm sure the band was mindful of that.

Oh, they know that very well

Overall, shortest concert I've ever been to

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2016, 12:25:38 PM »
Muse takes the cake for that one with me. Their show a few years back was 90 minutes
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen