Author Topic: Your biggest complaint about the tour  (Read 55447 times)

Offline romanticrocker

Your biggest complaint about the tour
« on: April 24, 2016, 08:02:32 AM »
What's your biggest complaint or complaints about this tour for me

Over hyped when I read articles I thought it was going to be a huge production like the wall  :justjen maybe I mis read it although still enjoyed it and would recommend it to everyone

No DVD how can they not have a live DVD and cd of this wonder if they regret doing the last live DVD imagine how awesome this would of been with the Berkeley choir and orchestra

No flute solo for the astonishing I would of loved jl to do a flute solo during the astonishing that would of been an epic ending

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Re: Your biggest complaint about the tour
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »
The album being done in it's entirety instead of a 3 hour "Evening With" format that had two sets, one of new stuff and one of old stuff.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 08:25:18 AM »
What's your biggest complaint or complaints about this tour for me

Over hyped when I read articles I thought it was going to be a huge production like the wall  :justjen maybe I mis read it although still enjoyed it and would recommend it to everyone

No DVD how can they not have a live DVD and cd of this wonder if they regret doing the last live DVD imagine how awesome this would of been with the Berkeley choir and orchestra

Pretty much these two. Other than that, I don't have any real complaints.

The album being done in it's entirety instead of a 3 hour "Evening With" format that had two sets, one of new stuff and one of old stuff.

Maybe the second leg should be this.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:30:34 AM »
I hate to even comment because I feel like all I have done is complain but I am appreciative of this work and seeing them again. The whole lack of energy and crowd interaction was the biggest let down for me this tour. While the album did not deliver what I was expecting, it is a beautiful album musically and emotionally. I am probably the only person who still has not read the lyrics because I couldn't care less about interpreting the story-line. To me it is all about the emotion and how it makes me feel, I can figure out the story one day if I'm really bored (meaning stuck in a hospital or something). I lost my dog to cancer and it was brutal for me and it all happened right when I got this album so a lot of the emotion bleeds through for me and makes me think about my best bud who was with me for 12 years strong.  :'( The band was tight and sounded great but man, where's the energy in the live performance? After seeing them so many times over the years and having a blast every time  :metal , I felt like they didn't want to be there which bothered me.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 10:20:54 AM »
Last night was the first time I read through the lyrics.  We're going to the show tonight, so my wife and I listened to TA in three segments yesterday.  I agree about the beautiful music, the meh story line, and different approach to viewing this concert.

[Became a fan in '03, so this was my first DT album without my 'buddy' of 12 years.  We shared more than a few loud listens together when I'd have the house to myself for an evening, so I totally get where your coming from.]
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:34:20 AM »
The only slight gripe I had is that the video screens don't always manage to convey which character is speaking, which isn't great for those who aren't already familiar with the lyrics/story. This is most noticeable  for me in A New Beginning, which as I recall had hardly anything going on in the background - a bit disappointing for one of the best songs on the album and one that switches perspective so many times.

Although they do manage to convey this well in certain songs like Savior in the Square and importantly, in The Path That Divides.

Offline romanticrocker

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:55:59 AM »

That was a complaint of mine to but after the concert I didn't mind it since i loved the album live and glad they played the whole thing

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 01:39:30 PM »
My complaint is that they didn't come to Florida.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 01:52:55 PM »
The only complaint I have is that they only played two shows in Stockholm and that they have not booked a second leg through europe hitting Stockholm again....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
Pretending that the concert is over after Our New World, then walking off stage for 10 seconds only to return and play the rest of the album was really, really silly.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 03:22:55 PM »

says who? it's not like the tour is done, there are more legs some of which probably aren't even announced yet...
I'd be amazed if there isn't some sort of dvd for this tour, it's a show that needs to be documented

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »
Last night was the first time I read through the lyrics.  We're going to the show tonight, so my wife and I listened to TA in three segments yesterday.  I agree about the beautiful music, the meh story line, and different approach to viewing this concert.

[Became a fan in '03, so this was my first DT album without my 'buddy' of 12 years.  We shared more than a few loud listens together when I'd have the house to myself for an evening, so I totally get where your coming from.]

:tup

Pretending that the concert is over after Our New World, then walking off stage for 10 seconds only to return and play the rest of the album was really, really silly.

LMAO -Agreed. This was a great opportunity to spank everyone with something epic

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 05:24:29 PM »
The band was tight and sounded great but man, where's the energy in the live performance? After seeing them so many times over the years and having a blast every time  :metal , I felt like they didn't want to be there which bothered me.
I felt there was some weird energy, but to me it seemed like it was the crowd (not as a whole) who weren't into it.  I thought the band gave it everything.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »
Surprised you went to the show. You probably are, as well.  :lol

I understand not wanting to do an encore, but I think it's silly. R40 was a highly themed show, and they had no problem firing the lights back up and playing Working Man after the encore. Queensrychye played encores after O:M tours and they were far more theatrical. It occurs to me that the smooth move would have been to write an epilogue specifically for the tour and encore that. You could play a themed song and it would be a bonus for the people who went to the show. Similar but superior to Outside The Wall, I think.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »
Surprised you went to the show. You probably are, as well.  :lol

I mostly went out of tradition. The concerts aren't really all that expensive, and I have seen them for over 20 years every year now. Can't break the streak!

I understand not wanting to do an encore, but I think it's silly. R40 was a highly themed show, and they had no problem firing the lights back up and playing Working Man after the encore. Queensrychye played encores after O:M tours and they were far more theatrical. It occurs to me that the smooth move would have been to write an epilogue specifically for the tour and encore that. You could play a themed song and it would be a bonus for the people who went to the show. Similar but superior to Outside The Wall, I think.

So many missed opportunities anyway. Like, why not hang two or three NOMACs from the ceiling?
The whole concert fell very flat for me. So much backing tracks going on, and the videos didn't really enhance things all that much either. For this momentous experience it was supposed to be, it felt like a scripted rock concert tbh.

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 06:45:25 PM »
I hate to even comment because I feel like all I have done is complain but I am appreciative of this work and seeing them again. The whole lack of energy and crowd interaction was the biggest let down for me this tour. While the album did not deliver what I was expecting, it is a beautiful album musically and emotionally. I am probably the only person who still has not read the lyrics because I couldn't care less about interpreting the story-line. To me it is all about the emotion and how it makes me feel, I can figure out the story one day if I'm really bored (meaning stuck in a hospital or something). I lost my dog to cancer and it was brutal for me and it all happened right when I got this album so a lot of the emotion bleeds through for me and makes me think about my best bud who was with me for 12 years strong.  :'( The band was tight and sounded great but man, where's the energy in the live performance? After seeing them so many times over the years and having a blast every time  :metal , I felt like they didn't want to be there which bothered me.

Agree.  Since the whole thing is scripted it lacked an ad lib moments.  Also since so many ballads, never really got the crowd into it except for a couple of Petrucci solos. Instead of building and gettting a reacation even after people started to get into it (like after the first few songs) as the transitional songs sucked the excitement outof the room.  It made me miss just seeing them play a string of great songs all in a row, like at past concerts, which also would keep the energy level higher for the crowd.    The second act is so short compared to the first, they could break out a few classics for  the encore so people can leave with energy high.  All the transitional stuff makes the whole vibe of the show too restrained I think.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 07:07:59 PM »
The whole concert fell very flat for me. So much backing tracks going on, and the videos didn't really enhance things all that much either. For this momentous experience it was supposed to be, it felt like a scripted rock concert tbh.
Yeah, I mentioned the backing tracks in the RCMH thread. I understand the necessity and won't generally fault a band for requiring them, but there were time I thought it was something of a cheat.

Hanging NOMACs from the ceiling only would have worked if they'd been really well crafted. What they might have done with their budget could very well have been cheesy as hell.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 09:13:57 PM »
R40 was a highly themed show, and they had no problem firing the lights back up and playing Working Man after the encore.
That also fit into the theme of R40 since they were going reverse chronologically, Working Man was part of the encore and they weren't telling a story. While I would have enjoyed an encore because more DT is always better, I understand why they didn't do an encore and have no problem with that choice. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »
Well, they *did* have that thing in the lobby that would take pictures of you. I really feel instead of that thing (which looked nothing like anything of the other artwork), they could have had at least one decent NOMAC.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 09:41:47 PM »
R40 was a highly themed show, and they had no problem firing the lights back up and playing Working Man after the encore.
That also fit into the theme of R40 since they were going reverse chronologically, Working Man was part of the encore and they weren't telling a story. While I would have enjoyed an encore because more DT is always better, I understand why they didn't do an encore and have no problem with that choice.
R40 was absolutely telling a story, and ending with them as teenagers in a high school gymnasium where they began would have been the appropriate ending. Working Man was simply them giving the fans a proper encore, in contrast to the preceding 2 hours.  And I certainly understand why Dream Theater didn't include an encore, I think there were better options at their disposal to accommodate both concerns.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 09:50:49 PM »
I'm home after the Balto show.....and my complaint is that I've complained too much about too many things.  The weaker tracks sounded better, the good tracks great, and the great tracks were.....well, astonishing. 

Loved being able to focus on MM and see all of his 'theatrics', JM's fingers are all over the place when one may think his bass was kind of 'just there', Jordan and John were superb, and JLB just really killed it (in spite of 'spitting into his mouth' during a line....his words, not mine). 

The album art...meh.  The lighting:  thumbs up.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 09:58:17 PM »

The guys I know who went to the show told me the exact same thing about the crowd and the band energy. A bored ambiance.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 10:15:05 PM »
R40 was absolutely telling a story, and ending with them as teenagers in a high school gymnasium where they began would have been the appropriate ending. Working Man was simply them giving the fans a proper encore, in contrast to the preceding 2 hours.  And I certainly understand why Dream Theater didn't include an encore, I think there were better options at their disposal to accommodate both concerns.
but it's not a scripted story with a plot, its just their history.  i get what you're saying but there's a clear distinction.  and i don't think Working Man as an encore is any different than the rest of the show's progression, seeing as they ended with the first album. 

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 10:21:36 PM »
Actually I wouldn't mind at all hearing Octavarium as encore.

I wouldn't have The Glass Prison as encore as it kind of kills off the ambience with its balls to the wall shit, but Octavarium seems just fine.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 10:45:24 PM »
but it's not a scripted story with a plot, its just their history.  i get what you're saying but there's a clear distinction.  and i don't think Working Man as an encore is any different than the rest of the show's progression, seeing as they ended with the first album.
It's a story nonetheless, though. And in fact, I might say that an encore was even more inappropirate for Rush. With DT they told their story and that was that. Playing something else would just be an extra bit unrelated to the story. With Rush's chronological regression, they'd boxed themselves in. I think it's more innately constrained than a fictional narrative.  And while it is from the first album, the presentation went all the way (back?) from primitive to modern in a sudden burst of retro-regression, so it was clearly an encore in spirit. 

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting they come out and play PMU after the thing ends. That would be completely inappropriate. I do think there are ways they could have handled it better, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 05:05:37 AM »

Maybe the second leg should be this.

That's my hope and what I"m holding out for and the reason I didn't drive to Albany, Philly, and/or NYC. If they do a second leg and split it up like that and ensure that nothing off the most recent 3 or 4 albums will be played during it, I'd go to at least one if not all three. But the past 3 tours were full of all new stuff and as a result I'm really missing the old stuff more and more at their shows. The withdrawal is coming to a point where it's either time to feed it what it needs, or let the addiction go completely, which I really don't want to do. But it's in their hands.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 05:10:03 AM »

That was a complaint of mine to but after the concert I didn't mind it since i loved the album live and glad they played the whole thing

That's how I felt about Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase. the first leg of his last tour - I saw it three times in fact, even though it was just that one album with 2-3 other songs added in. Then of course I also saw his most recent second leg where I got.. well like 1 or 2 more songs. But I love SW so it was worth it.

In this particular case, I'm not a fan of the new album or the most recent few albums so I simply chose not to go and see it live. But I would be so very pleased to get to see a second leg that featured stuff from SDOIT through BCASL in the second half. I've already seen a nostalgia showcase of older songs when I saw Score ten years ago, and we got a lot of older stuff last time on their last tour as well, but they've been letting SDOIT through BCASL sit and age the past couple/few tours. I would like to see them bring it back out, as those are my favorite albums (I realize I"m in the minority here, which is fine. I'm also a girl on a DT board so it is what it is).

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 05:14:47 AM »
Actually I wouldn't mind at all hearing Octavarium as encore.

I wouldn't have The Glass Prison as encore as it kind of kills off the ambience with its balls to the wall shit, but Octavarium seems just fine.

I would also be happy to hear Octavarium live again but that's a helluva long encore. :lol Of course I don't know about all shows but I do know RCMH has a ridiculously strict curfew and an astonishingly high fine for going over so at that show at least they couldn't really afford to waste time on improvisasion, audience chitchat, or extra encores even if they wanted to.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 05:29:40 AM »
No "complaints" about the tour, but I still maintain playing the whole album was a mistake.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 05:45:33 AM »
I really love this album, and the live performance of it was great, but I feel like something was missing the whole time. There's a level of excitement that wasn't being achieved outside of the extended guitar solo in A New Beginning.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 07:40:53 AM »
I really love this album, and the live performance of it was great, but I feel like something was missing the whole time. There's a level of excitement that wasn't being achieved outside of the extended guitar solo in A New Beginning.

It's because they're playing to a click track. Robs the show of any sponteneity.
Ah for the good old days when they'd burst into an improv jam at the drop of a tambourine...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline CB

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »
Biggest complaint? In Hannover the beer was sold out 20 minutes before the show started ::)

Seriously, I don't have a really BIG complaint about the tour but for me there was too much prerecorded stuff. I just don't think they need that to present a great show. I'm probably in the minority but I don't mind if a live concert sounds different from the album, I actually think it's more interesting if it does.
At the TA shows I could distinguish JLBs real vocals rather well (for me his live voice always sounds different compared to his album vocals) but with JR it was tough. Sometimes I needed my opera glasses (I'm probably the only person using opera glasses at a DT show) to see what he was doing live.
I'd love to visit a DT show one day with no click tracks and no prerecorded material at all (will probably never happen...)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 07:57:26 PM »
The guys I know who went to the show told me the exact same thing about the crowd and the band energy. A bored ambiance.

Same for Boston, IMHO. I wondered whether the extreme scriptedness of the performance had rubbed off on them. I think even the breaks between songs were predetermined by click. There was one song in particular where you could tell they were all listening to the count-in click.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 08:15:26 PM »
I'm not defending DT using a click, but as someone who has used a click a lot in the past, it's very possible to play a show to a click and still have lots of energy and put on a great show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 07:31:50 AM »
I'm not defending DT using a click, but as someone who has used a click a lot in the past, it's very possible to play a show to a click and still have lots of energy and put on a great show.

Yeah this. Click track does not equal low energy.