Author Topic: Your biggest complaint about the tour  (Read 55425 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Your biggest complaint about the tour
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »
The Steely Dan show I went to last week was just under an hour forty five.

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »
The album being done in it's entirety instead of a 3 hour "Evening With" format that had two sets, one of new stuff and one of old stuff.

They're not those 30yo kids we once knew
Ringo is one of my top 5 Beatles.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2016, 12:48:39 PM »
Muse takes the cake for that one with me. Their show a few years back was 90 minutes

Were these shows just those bands and no openers?  That's what I meant so not sure if that was clear.

The album being done in it's entirety instead of a 3 hour "Evening With" format that had two sets, one of new stuff and one of old stuff.

Huh?  They did this recently and can clearly still do a tour of that nature.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2016, 12:51:52 PM »
Muse takes the cake for that one with me. Their show a few years back was 90 minutes

Were these shows just those bands and no openers?  That's what I meant so not sure if that was clear.

Yeah. No opening act. The tickets said the show started at 7:30. Steely Dan didn't go on until 8:10 and they were off at about 9:50.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
Well that is lame, as a concert consumer, that is not a cool experience.  I can at least say that DT was presenting the new album and had thier theater show for it.  Not sure if that was a similar deal to the other examples, but a typical concert being as a whole concert under 2 hours is lame.

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »

Huh?  They did this recently and can clearly still do a tour of that nature.

It a joke
Ringo is one of my top 5 Beatles.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2016, 04:20:01 PM »
The album front to back is not an energetic live album. The pacing is totally off and the energy at the show I went to reflected that. Any time the band gets on a roll it's brought to a screeching halt with yet another slow piano/vocal interlude

Offline Volante99

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2016, 04:45:33 PM »
The album front to back is not an energetic live album. The pacing is totally off and the energy at the show I went to reflected that. Any time the band gets on a roll it's brought to a screeching halt with yet another slow piano/vocal interlude

I was afraid of that being the case but I felt, that for whatever reason, the album played better in a live setting, especially the second act. The people who attended with me seemed to agree.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2016, 07:26:34 AM »

I was afraid of that being the case but I felt, that for whatever reason, the album played better in a live setting, especially the second act. The people who attended with me seemed to agree.

I thought it was better live as well, but the pacing is still tough to really get rocking at the concert. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2016, 07:48:00 AM »

I thought it was better live as well, but the pacing is still tough to really get rocking at the concert.

Well, it's a rock opera, not a full blown rock concert. I greatly enjoyed it in Denver and made me like the album even more. I wasn't a big fan of it during my first few listens. After seeing live, now I get it. And it became a top 5 DT album for me.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2016, 09:06:27 AM »
I was actually speaking to a friend about this. I'm curious as to how the audience in Buenos Aires will react to the show/music next month in Luna Park. Because, the crowds in Argentina (and South America in general, I think) tend to jump/cheer/clap/sing along throughout the entire shows of their favourite bands. I've read that, on this tour in Europe &/or the US, the audiences are actually a lot quieter than usual. So, it will be weird seeing a bunch of other fans in Luna Park sitting still. (not complaining - I actually stand or sit still in rock shows)

How would all of you describe the general audience reaction/mood throughout the shows?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2016, 09:08:08 AM »
I was actually speaking to a friend about this. I'm curious as to how the audience in Buenos Aires will react to the show/music next month in Luna Park. Because, the crowds in Argentina (and South America in general, I think) tend to jump/cheer/clap/sing along throughout the entire shows of their favourite bands. I've read that, on this tour in Europe &/or the US, the audiences are actually a lot quieter than usual. So, it will be weird seeing a bunch of other fans in Luna Park sitting still. (not complaining - I actually stand or sit still in rock shows)

How would all of you describe the general audience reaction/mood throughout the shows?

The Luna Park DVD didn't really have a crazy crowd as I've seen from other metal bands performing in SA.  Regardless, the general audience is very tame and quiet, but I also think the general audience was enjoying the show.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2016, 09:51:41 AM »
Also, though this is par the course for DT concerts, I felt they were a bit too loud, especially for the material on this album. I'm glad I brought my ear plugs.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2016, 10:20:30 AM »

Well, it's a rock opera, not a full blown rock concert. I greatly enjoyed it in Denver and made me like the album even more. I wasn't a big fan of it during my first few listens. After seeing live, now I get it. And it became a top 5 DT album for me.

It affected me the same way. I think it really comes across well live. Like cram said, though, the pacing is a bit unorthodox. Though the fact that it plays more like a rock opera/musical, I think we're supposed to feel the dramatics from each song and not necessarily be able to rock out with each tune.

Offline oyajiben

« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »

It affected me the same way. I think it really comes across well live. Like cram said, though, the pacing is a bit unorthodox. Though the fact that it plays more like a rock opera/musical, I think we're supposed to feel the dramatics from each song and not necessarily be able to rock out with each tune.

The more I read about the experience the more I think it will be like seeing a Broadway musical. If so, as far as the energy of the show, I hope it's closer to Mamma Mia! than Les Miserables...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »

The Luna Park DVD didn't really have a crazy crowd as I've seen from other metal bands performing in SA.  Regardless, the general audience is very tame and quiet, but I also think the general audience was enjoying the show.
You are right, that DVD doesn't show a crazy audience. I think Maiden's En Vivo! CD/DVD is more representative of what I'm saying.

Offline macpilot

« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
Biggest complaint - They released the album AFTER many of the tickets went on sale.  I was confident the album was going to be great, as they 2 songs they released at that point were both excellent.  But I paid $330 to do Meet and Greet and get front row at Los Angeles, and had to buy these BEFORE the album went on sale.  Boy was I let down when the CDs arrived and I listened to the other 32 "songs".  In the end, I was left with a 5 solid songs on a 34 song album.  This would have been acceptable if those five songs lasted more that a few minutes apiece, instead it amounted to 30 minutes of listenable DT. 

Second biggest complaint - They chose to play this inferior album in its entirety, and nothing else.

Third biggest complaint - The Meet and Greet photography quality/distribution was a total joke.  The lady who shot the photos in LA appeared to have a decent SLR camera, but obviously had no idea how to use it.  Part of the reason for paying big $$$ to meet the band is to get a nice photo with them, and this is 2016, and what did we get?  A low resolution, poorly exposed, completely shoddy photo.  I went to 2 previous Meet and Greets in LA for DT, in 2008, and in 2014, and shockingly, the photo quality of this year's event was inferior to both of those previous events!  Uh, how could this be?  And you can't even download a high-resolution version from the SmugMug website either, so you are forced to "hope" that the prints you order turn out better than the download, which this year, sadly, they don't.  Mr. Petrucci, PLEASE tell that person to get a clue about taking photos, because for this fan, a photo of that quality after spending $330 to see and meet you all was, this year anyway, was a major disappointment.

Fourth complaint - This guy Myung is a tool, plain and simply.  Look buddy, we are PAYING you to play music and entertain us, and in this case, with the Meet and Greet, we are PAYING to meet you.  You act like your mom just died and we are all a burden to you.  Would it hurt to SMILE?  Next time please don't even bother to come to the Greet like Neal Peart, another guy too good for his fans.  It is such a shame as DT is my favorite band, and the reality is that only 2 of the 5 guys are really very personable, the other being Petrucci.

By far the coolest dude of the bunch is Mangini.  What a great personality and he obviously values his fans.  That was the highlight for me of the entire night, having a few words with that man.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »
Biggest complaint - They released the album AFTER many of the tickets went on sale.  I was confident the album was going to be great, as they 2 songs they released at that point were both excellent.  But I paid $330 to do Meet and Greet and get front row at Los Angeles, and had to buy these BEFORE the album went on sale.  Boy was I let down when the CDs arrived and I listened to the other 32 "songs".  In the end, I was left with a 5 solid songs on a 34 song album.  This would have been acceptable if those five songs lasted more that a few minutes apiece, instead it amounted to 30 minutes of listenable DT. 

Second biggest complaint - They chose to play this inferior album in its entirety, and nothing else.

Third biggest complaint - The Meet and Greet photography quality/distribution was a total joke.  The lady who shot the photos in LA appeared to have a decent SLR camera, but obviously had no idea how to use it.  Part of the reason for paying big $$$ to meet the band is to get a nice photo with them, and this is 2016, and what did we get?  A low resolution, poorly exposed, completely shoddy photo.  I went to 2 previous Meet and Greets in LA for DT, in 2008, and in 2014, and shockingly, the photo quality of this year's event was inferior to both of those previous events!  Uh, how could this be?  And you can't even download a high-resolution version from the SmugMug website either, so you are forced to "hope" that the prints you order turn out better than the download, which this year, sadly, they don't.  Mr. Petrucci, PLEASE tell that person to get a clue about taking photos, because for this fan, a photo of that quality after spending $330 to see and meet you all was, this year anyway, was a major disappointment.

Fourth complaint - This guy Myung is a tool, plain and simply.  Look buddy, we are PAYING you to play music and entertain us, and in this case, with the Meet and Greet, we are PAYING to meet you.  You act like your mom just died and we are all a burden to you.  Would it hurt to SMILE?  Next time please don't even bother to come to the Greet like Neal Peart, another guy too good for his fans.  It is such a shame as DT is my favorite band, and the reality is that only 2 of the 5 guys are really very personable, the other being Petrucci.

By far the coolest dude of the bunch is Mangini.  What a great personality and he obviously values his fans.  That was the highlight for me of the entire night, having a few words with that man.
Sorry to hear your DT experience wasn't that great, but here are a couple of my thoughts:

1) The album was released on January 29th, if I'm not mistaken. The concert on LA was this month. You had a solid amount of time to sell your tickets to another person if you weren't so invested in going. Also, it's not DT's fault you didn't like the album and you felt like you wasted your 330 bucks on seeing live an album you didn't like at all. You could've waited (like a lot of folks did) until the album was released to see if you wanted to go and, most of all, pay such a big amount of money. There's no one to blame but you in that regard.

2) Once again, it's not DT's fault you didn't like the album. The tour was advertised as The Astonishing - Live from day one. You'll find that several thousands of people (me included) love the album and can't wait to see it performed it its entirety, so props for DT for doing something that will probably never happen again.

3) With the Meet & Greet thing, I can't really have a word because I haven't been in one myself; but I'm quite sure that other persons have complained of the experience as well and you should let the band know about it so they can give a better Meet & Greet experience in the future (using nicer words and not being as rude as you come across in your first post in the forum, of course).

4) You must've been living under a rock if you didn't know how Myung is, personality-wise of course. Also, I'm not a mod myself, but the way you describe him comes across as pretty offensive to me and that's pretty much against the rules; so I would recommend you to tone it down a few notches. A lot of forum members here have met DT themselves and have nothing but nice things to say about all of them.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »

:lol :lol I'm trying to figure out how someone could be a big enough fan to drop $300+ on a meet and greet while at the same time expecting some other form of behavior from Myung. I really don't have a lot of sympathy for this post. You had plenty of time to not get yourself into this position, instead, you take it out on the band.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2016, 12:30:02 PM »
macpilot? mp? mike portnoy  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2016, 12:40:16 PM »

Sorry to hear your experience was pretty meh. Just got a few things in response, but I'll separate them out between mod mode and non-mod mode (you should pay attention to the former, the latter it's up to you).

Mod mode:

You are welcome to express any view, positive or negative, as long as you do so respectfully. Indeed, nothing you said is new here - some fans and forumers don't really like The Astonishing, a small number downright hate it; and it's not infrequent that people express disappointment at the Meet & Greet experience (I myself have never seen the attraction). Just making it clear that no opinion of out of bounds or against the rules here.

However, the way you expressed your opinion was quite insulting to the band, and to John Myung in particular. We have forum rules (which you might want to check out: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=7.0) which are quite clear about this - no insulting the band, or other members of the forum. We want the forum to share views and debate things, but we want this to happen in a grown-up and respectful way. Respect that, and you're welcome to stick around, but continue to post like that and I'm afraid you're not. You can consider this a friendly warning.

Normal human mode:

Ok now that the explanation of the rules and the warning are out of the way, I kind of agree with what Chino and Darklol said. I particularly think you're being very unfair towards Myung, who is a quiet introverted person who happens to love playing music. The fact that Mangini is more extroverted and chatty and smiley doesn't mean he values fans any more than Myung. Ultimately, you paid to meet the band, and you met the band. If you're disappointed with the experience (as others have been) you don't need to do it again, but clearly enough people like or love the experience to keep doing it and to make it worthwhile for DT.

Also, just my own personal opinion, but assuming you're not so wealthy that $330 is basically an irrelevance, then spending that much when you've no idea what you're getting seems very risky to me. As consumers we have a certain responsibility to know what we're getting ourselves in for.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »

Sorry to hear you weren't impressed with Myung's behaviour at the Meet and Greet, but just to bring a different experience to the table (since you called him "a tool, plain and simple").

I saw the band 4 times on the last tour, doing the Meet and Greet twice, once in Manchester England and once in St Petersburg Russia. I wrote long reviews of both experiences on MP's forum. One of the things I focused on in those reviews was John Myung's behaviour at the M&G - it was the most pleasant surprise not only for me but for a lot of people I spoke to during and after the Meet. He was friendly, very respectful, and seem genuinely humbled by the reaction of the fans to him and his band. The band has a pretty strict 'no handshake' rule, but he offered me his hand when I told him thanks for the music.

His introverted and quiet nature is infamous, and as a fan of DT (actually as a person in general) you have to respect it. Even, in my case, like it. Advising him to stay away from the Meets because he doesn't behave how you want him to is unfair on your part. I certainly wouldn't have wanted him to not be there when I met the band. I'm glad he's in the photo, I'm glad I have his signature on the album, and I'm glad I got to tell him thanks for what he does.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2016, 01:39:26 PM »
If you had gone to meet and greets before, how was Myung then?  What changed that this time he is a "tool"?  I think if you didn't like the album you can express that, but sounds like a lot of sour grapes because you spent a lot of money and didn't enjoy it.

Offline macpilot

« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »
I appreciate your feedback folks.  Yes maybe I was a bit harsh.  Sorry to offend any of you as clearly there are some serious fanboys here.  Yes my complaint that the album is poor is relevant to the show as it was not implied that we would not hear any other tracks from other albums.  Myung "just being myung" is still lame, so yeah.  How can you defend a guy who can't even smile?  Are you all that enamored with him that you can expect a little normal human behavior?  Wow.  Did any of you purchase prints?  They were garbage.  The thread was about complaints and I shared mine.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2016, 07:26:09 PM »
I appreciate your feedback folks.  Yes maybe I was a bit harsh.  Sorry to offend any of you as clearly there are some serious fanboys here.  Yes my complaint that the album is poor is relevant to the show as it was not implied that we would not hear any other tracks from other albums.  Myung "just being myung" is still lame, so yeah.  How can you defend a guy who can't even smile?  Are you all that enamored with him that you can expect a little normal human behavior?  Wow.  Did any of you purchase prints?  They were garbage.  The thread was about complaints and I shared mine.

You're being extremely ignorant. You obviously have very little real world experience.  It's not about being enamored with him. He has an introverted personality. It's not a switch that can just be turned off and on. Trust me. I know.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2016, 08:26:26 PM »

You're being extremely ignorant. You obviously have very little real world experience.  It's not about being enamored with him. He has an introverted personality. It's not a switch that can just be turned off and on. Trust me. I know.

Exactly. 

macpilot, you mentioned Neil Peart, too, and he, by his own admission, is socially awkward and not comfortable around fans after having bad experiences with some who tracked him down to a hotel once in a city where the band was playing.  That is a normal human reaction.  These socially awkward people cannot put on happy faces for every fan they meet, and if you have a problem with it, that says more about you than it does them.  I don't mean that to sound harsh, but don't act so entitled. They are just people like you and me, with issues, bad days, etc. of their own, too.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2016, 08:31:50 PM »

Whoah, calm down there.
"How can you defend a guy who can't even smile?" I don't think JM is the kind of person who goes around smiling anyone, I'm pretty sure he appreciates comments and thoughts on his work, but did you ever sit down and think that maybe your memory of the M&G isn't accurate? You're probably overreacting to his actual behavior.

"Little normal human behavior"? Holy fuck, he's the fucking DT bassist, that makes him inhuman no, really, wtf?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »

It was pretty obvious that the tour would not feature songs from other albums. every interview stated it directly and every advertisement implied it.  I guess I'd be bummed too if I wasn't paying attention and found this out the night of the show.   Glad I managed expectations by, you know, reading about it in forums such as this.

I'm curious to know your expectations re your M&G exchange with JM.  I asked questions about his bass rig, which he answered thoughtfully and happily, but yeah he is super quiet!  Is it fair to think he should transform himself to fit your energy level? (I'm trying to see your POV, because sometimes a quiet disposition is mistaken as being rude or pompous, but that's usually a false perception).

I didn't buy any prints, but I've noticed some pictures in past tours to be low quality when enlarged.  But I'm not passionate or knowledgeable about cameras, so I can see why this would irk someone who is.   

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »
"The set list"!!!....

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2016, 07:00:56 AM »
Yes my complaint that the album is poor is relevant to the show as it was not implied that we would not hear any other tracks from other albums.
It was.  When I bought my L.A. tickets I hadn't heard the CDs but I knew it was The Astonishing and nothing else.  In fact it wasn't just implied, it was a known fact.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2016, 06:44:15 PM »
There is definitely something off with Myung. I know that is not what this thread is about but it's obvious it wasn't just the show I was at. He definitely looked like he would rather be doing ANYTHING other than be up there playing. He never once looked out into the audience, he just looked like he was not in a good place. Have there been any interviews with him about this tour?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2016, 06:49:03 PM »
Take it from someone who has seen them a couple of dozen times and watched more bootlegs than I can remember, he is not acting any different than he has in recent years.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2016, 07:10:17 PM »
I strongly disagree. I have seen him play live a dozen times in person, there is no way this is his normal. just look at any youtube video even. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT7aNco6Q20

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2016, 08:58:48 AM »
clearly there are some serious fanboys here.

:eek :eek :eek :eek
no way!!!!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2016, 09:01:20 AM »

clearly there are some serious fanboys here.

On a designated Dream Theater forum... who would have thought?