Author Topic: RIP Prince  (Read 8403 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: RIP Prince
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2016, 06:59:23 AM »
I've never heard all his studio albums. However I do like the music I've heard.

I went to a drum clinic for a drummer who played for Prince and he said that 70% of music that Prince has made he didn't even release and just put into a vault.
I could believe that. Prince was the kinda guy who would have very high standard for what he releases to the public. Lots of people don't realize what a savant the guy was.

Another good story from that clinic was the band would often leave for the day after getting some basic tracks done or with a simple melody written. They'd come back in the morning to keep working and Prince would tell them the track is done, he did all the tracks the night before. Pretty impressive.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2016, 12:18:02 PM »
Prince is the most influential artist of the 80s along with MJ IMHO. And even so, MJ only had 2 big releases in the 80s, whereas Prince had at least 5, you could make an argument for up to like 8. Both of them contributed such a gigantic amount of the sounds we hear in pop to this day.

In all fairness, Purple Rain is the only Prince album from the 80s that came even close to the popularity and chart success of both Thriller and Bad. Thriller and Bad both dominated big time, while no Prince album did that except for Purple Rain.

For example, I know Sign O' the Times was ejaculated over non-stop by critics, but while it had three top 10 hits, it never even made the top 5 on the album charts here in the States.  That album's success is often overstated (yes, it was a success, not an epic force like Thriller, Bad or Purple Rain).

The influence of both Prince and MJ is unquestionably undeniable, regardless.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
Seems some Prince performances are showing up in YouTube after his death.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2016, 01:14:49 PM »

Don't know how you can even compare the two. I mean Prince wrote, produced, engireered and played practically all of his stuff himself. What did MJ write? his own vocal melodies?

The two most popular songs from the biggest album ever (Beat It and Billie Jean), one of which is arguably the most popular and loved song of modern culture.

Alright, I stand corrected.

HOLD ON...not EXACTLY.

MJ did indeed write Beat It and Billie Jean...sort of. Beat It was produced by and credit given to Quincy Jones. Also, Eddie Van Halen wrote the solo; the intro is taken note for note from a demo LP released the year before, called "The Incredible Sounds of Synclavier II" by Denny Jaeger; and Jeff Porcaro wrote the drum parts. As for Billie Jean...again it was produced by Quincy Jones. In fact he has said he changed the tempo and structure of the song. And MJ admitted to Daryl Hall that he lifted the entire bass line from the song, "I Cant Go For That". Even "Thriller' was written by Rod Temperton, the white boy from Heatwave.

MJ had never written much of anything until that album came along. Interestingly enough after he left Quincy and started writing with Teddy Riley, he passes out song writing credits like breath mints again. So...you have to think that he fell into the same type Avril Lavigne school of song writing credit which apparently states in part, "...if the artist is in the same room when the song is being written, they shall get credit."

Prince wrote, produced, performed every note, of every song on his first five albums, with the exception of "Computer Blue" which he co-wrote off of Purple Rain. Not trying to take anything away from MJ. He was incredible. A force that will never be duplicated.

But in my opinion....he couldn't hold a candle to the sheer talent of Prince.

I mean in addition to all of that music, he found band members that fit a certain look first; then taught them the songs, how to dress, move, and act on stage. He created and orchestrated it all.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:32:07 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
WebRaider:  acknowledging your heartfelt posts from a true fan (wish one could check 'like' on posts). 

I never was, though I respected the hell out of his talents.  I can only name a handful of songs......just as others may only be able to name a handful (if any) of various artists I follow. 

Thanks for sharing.

[article and follow up on his Balto concert after the riot]
https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/bs-md-prince-concert-20150510-story.html

Baltimore Sun Times, 6/3/15
Tidal raises $35,000 during Prince's charity concert in Baltimore
A press release from Prince’s publicist states that NAACP’s Afro-Academic, Cultural, Technological and Scientific Olympics (ACT-SO) will get an undisclosed amount of money, in addition to Baltimore YouthWorks and OneBaltimore programs.

Thank you so kindly DragonAttack... means alot.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »
Songwriting credits don't always mean that much. I remember an interview with Steve Lukather about the Beat It recording sessions. The way he told it, the studio musicians and Quincy Jones made the song into what it is from playing the instruments to arranging the song, changing the tempo, adjusting and piecing the the recorded VH solo together to fit the tempo and structure, making it sound less distorted and much else.

The way I see it MJ was the perfomer and entertainer while his team provided the best background for him. Prince was more in charge of the whole thing from writing to playing to producing and presenting his vision.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2016, 03:10:50 PM »
Great musician and guitar player.  It's a shame he's gone.  RIP.

PS
People, quit arguing about who's better, Prince or Michael Jackson when this is supposed to be a RIP Prince thread.  C'mon...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Magikernandy

« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2016, 03:31:30 AM »
He did this demo in his teens and it´s very impressive for an autodidact musician (Ha plays some of the bass as well)

A lot of funky and jazzy stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ7qGz4eu3g

Worth checking out for sure.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2016, 01:43:50 PM »
He did this demo in his teens and it´s very impressive for an autodidact musician (Ha plays some of the bass as well)

That was funkalicious!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Magikernandy

« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2016, 01:15:13 AM »

That was funkalicious!  :tup

It is, many people assume that people are trying to overhype him when he is gone but he was really good.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2016, 02:27:00 AM »
Listen to the drums on 'I'm Yours on For You. He's all over that drumkit....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Magikernandy

« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2016, 04:22:03 AM »
Listen to the drums on 'I'm Yours on For You. He's all over that drumkit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCz6S5nl87c

Thank´s for the tip. Remarkable chops. I didn´t know he could play the drums like that ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »
So ! There's a bunch of Prince albums on Deezer now and Spotify too i assume.

As a non Prince fan - where should I start ?

:)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »
A lot people may say Purple Rain, which is a damn fine album.

I would recommend either The gold experience (which got me in to him) or the symbol album from 92. I listen to them the most. I also like the Come album from 94, its very chill.

Actually, if you like Burton Batman 89, then I recommend that album. I love batman and my love of prince was first established by that movie.

I about halfway through exploring his catalogue. That's sooo much stuff
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:21:46 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
Did anybody see Bruno Mars' tribute to Prince last night on the Grammys?  Really quite excellent.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »
Yea I thought so too

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »
Did anybody see Bruno Mars' tribute to Prince last night on the Grammys?  Really quite excellent.
Yes, it was fantastic.  Pretty awesome that he actually got to play one of Prince's guitars.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »
So ! There's a bunch of Prince albums on Deezer now and Spotify too i assume.

As a non Prince fan - where should I start ?

:)

Sign O the Times
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2017, 03:50:34 PM »
Thy Will Be Done :hat

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2017, 04:19:46 PM »
Much like Use your illusion, for me, Sign of the times is two ok albums that could have been one awesome album

But some people really love it, so that's cool too.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2017, 02:10:45 AM »
Purple Rain, Parade, Sign of the times, Around the world in one day.
If you like those and aren't opposed to a little edgy sexual lyrics, Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999.
The Black Album for pure funkyness if you can get it. Lovesexy for pure unadultorated bliss. After that you can try some of the symbol and NPG cd's, the Gold album is recommended.
For more Jazzy sounds Musicology, Crystal Ball and Emancipation.

For a start.  ;)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2017, 06:44:19 AM »
Prince finally has an official YouTube channel (which I am sure is pissing him off in the afterlife :lol):

https://www.youtube.com/user/prince/featured

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2017, 07:10:12 AM »
Even though he was so strongly against it, I am so happy most of his stuff is on spotify. He has SOO much stuff and its nice to just be able to explore his stuff, since its awesome. I wish I could have seen him before he died

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2017, 07:11:32 AM »
Purple Rain Deluxe?

I should be picking it up later today (assuming The Electric Fetus aren't sold out).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2020, 02:25:21 PM »
I've probably listen to this about 20 times at this point.

Martin Miller & Mark Lettieri - Purple Rain (Prince Cover) - Live in Studio

Both Martin and Mark's solos are just so full of emotions.  :heart Have to give credits to the singer, his phrasings and vocal lines are on point!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2020, 07:40:59 AM »
I saw this thread pop up and my first thought was "Prince died...  wait... again?"  :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2020, 07:41:32 AM »
Purple Rain Deluxe?

I should be picking it up later today (assuming The Electric Fetus aren't sold out).

Is that your local record store?  If that's not a name straight out of 1967, I don't know what is.  :) :) :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2020, 01:34:21 PM »
I saw this thread pop up and my first thought was "Prince died...  wait... again?"  :)
Yea sry  :lol I was debating if I should resurrect the thread or not since some people might be confused. I just thought that it's a nice tribute.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2020, 01:37:56 PM »
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.