Author Topic: Who has been the greatest role model in your life?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Who has been the greatest role model in your life?
« on: April 21, 2016, 06:24:23 AM »
Simple question, but quite possibly very difficult to answer. It could be anyone you feel has made a positive impact on your life and has helped you to become who you are. It could be a parent, spouse, Jesus, whoever.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Who has been the greatest role model in your life?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:48:30 AM »
You. Definitely you, Prog. My spelling and grammar would be 'Kinglike' if not for your vigilance and example.

Thank you!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 07:01:03 AM »
My dad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 07:21:55 AM »
Not counting my dad, Carl Sagan.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:06:07 PM »
My Father first and foremost followed by a close second of my Grandfather. Both Men who work(ed) very hard to make sure their families were never without want in a very selfless manner.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:21:19 PM »
I don't think I've ever had a role model in my life. Perhaps my dad when I was very, very young... There are a lot of people I really look up to though, mainly artists and musicians for following their dreams more than I do.

Btw Prog Snob, are you behind the Prog Snob facebook page? In that case you are my role model  :rollin
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »
I'd say my Dad, but I'm not just because that's too easy.  People that were role models that are not friends/relatives as in they had an impact on my life without ever meeting them (although I did meet Mick Foley twice, but not in a personal setting):

Cal Ripken Jr.
Mick Foley
Bruce Dickinson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 12:59:49 PM »
I don't think I've ever had a role model in my life. Perhaps my dad when I was very, very young... There are a lot of people I really look up to though, mainly artists and musicians for following their dreams more than I do.

Btw Prog Snob, are you behind the Prog Snob facebook page? In that case you are my role model  :rollin

No, that's not me. I messaged him saying he stole my name.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 01:03:50 PM »
My grandfather and my mother.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »
My dad.  Period.  If not, my mom.   I don't have time now, but their story is inspiring to me every time I think of it.  My dad is the smartest person I know personally, and they are both the mentally strongest people I have ever met in my entire life.   If I'm half the man/dad/husband he is, I win the internet. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »
Hef.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 01:50:51 PM »
George Costanza
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 01:51:39 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 01:52:24 PM »
Honestly though, my mom and my grandpa tie for first.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 01:54:08 PM »
You. Definitely you, Prog. My spelling and grammar would be 'Kinglike' if not for your vigilance and example.

Thank you!

Well he's doing a piss poor job then! :lol

My dad taught me a sense of being reliable.  The words you say are what you do.

My mom is my conscience.  Every time I have to make a decision, she is on my shoulder telling me to be a good person.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »
Well, aside from my family, the easy answer is and always will be Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy and Alter Bridge in general. 

With the news today that Prince passed away, GNR bassist Duff McKagan sent a link on his twitter of an article, back in 2011, he wrote for the Seattle Weekly and he wrote how Prince had influenced him during these last 30+ years and watching Prince play and listening to the music had always been an experience for Duff. 

For the most part, I like to think that I feel what Duff felt, regarding Prince, when it comes to Alter Bridge as they are the soundtrack of my late teenage-early adult life and had open the door for me to see things about life that I would not have seen before if I did not listen to them.  Maybe that's why I'm always defending them when people states negative aspects of their music (Myles is boring, their songs are too formulaic in terms of song structure, their other bands are better, etc.).  I feel like I always speak up for them as a way to validate that what Alter Bridge is doing is inspiring to me and that they should continue as a band as they are atm.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:38:20 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »
I honestly can't come up with one.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 10:00:54 PM »
Hunter S Thompson and Atticus Finch. The former because it's what I want to do and the latter because of the former.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 02:30:37 AM »
George Costanza
Nice :lol :tup
I think I never had a role model. There were certain philosophies I followed from time to time. For example, I used to like whatever Bill Hicks did and said. I still think he was a smart man but he is/was not my role model.
It's not something I can choose, right. It's more about realizing that I want to be like someone. And I usually want to be as different as I am at the moment :lol no, but really, humble but I-don't-give-a-fuck people are usually ones that inspire me and when I see/hear them I'm like: wow, I don't want to give a fuck like that, too.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
My maternal grandfather by far. Then my mother. Wish they were both still here.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 05:30:46 AM »
1. My mother (RIP)
2. ViolentGreen (RIP)
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 06:11:29 AM »
I've considered this question for quite a few years, actually. I honestly can't figure out who would be the greatest role model in my life. A lot of people have shaped my impressionable character at an early age. My parents, extended family, friends, enemies, strangers with familiar faces, and observing everyone that has ever made it, and those that failed in life. From my grandfather that was one of the worlds greatest cellists, whom was best friends with Mstislav Rostropovich, that spoke 14 languages fluently, that drank himself to death because the symphony he was playing with here in the US belittled him to the point of depression there was no turning back from, to a transient with no foreseeable positive future that I befriended at a bus stop years ago when I worked in the city, and everyone in between. All of these people have served to shape my personality and how I see the world around me and how I function within it. I can't factor in those I wished to emulate without considering those I used as examples of what to avoid. Perhaps it's the contrast in between the two and what I've extrapolated as relevant and worth applying to my life is my model.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 06:45:19 AM »
Family aside, it would go to either Mrs. Koch, my sophomore English teacher, who taught me that learning and education is much, much more than just a letter at the end of the quarter, or Chef Charles who helped me make the leap from a mere cook to an aspiring chef and culinary artist.