Author Topic: Seattle Paramount - May 11  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Seattle Paramount - May 11
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:41:36 PM »
There are usually a smattering of forum members who hit the Seattle shows. Anyone here going this time around?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Seattle Paramount - May 11
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 12:27:40 AM »
Yes indeed! I will be driving out from Sequim, about 2 hrs west. Still don't have a ticket, I usually get my tix the day of the show at the venue box office. I always get better seats that way. Unless it sells out. Can't wait!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »
Yup. It'll be my first DT show, as well as my first trip to Seattle.

Offline bondrkm

• And still the orchestra plays.....
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 12:37:33 PM »
I'll be there, looking forward to it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »
Bondrkm, I think I met up with you before the show that was at the Moore (the ADToE tour).

Not sure when I will be there tomorrow since I will be coming from work. And might take the bus, because, f@*# Seattle traffic and parking.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bondrkm

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »
Chris, yes that was me! I'll be going straight from work as well. Might have to stop in for a beer somewhere nearby.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:44:07 PM by bondrkm »

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 08:21:22 PM »
If it's cool with you guys,  I'd like to meet up for a beer before the show too? This is my first time in Seattle  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
I don't know offhand what is by the Paramount. Other than ridiculously expensive hotels and restaurants I can't afford.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 12:38:33 AM »
I'm driving down from Canada.  Are you meeting anywhere or how can we know who's from DTF?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 02:09:09 AM »
I'm driving down from Canada.  Are you meeting anywhere or how can we know who's from DTF?
That's awesome! What section are you seated for the show?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »
Yes indeed! I will be driving out from Sequim, about 2 hrs west. Still don't have a ticket, I usually get my tix the day of the show at the venue box office. I always get better seats that way. Unless it sells out. Can't wait!  :metal

Where in Sequim? My fiance is from Sequim. I'll be taking her to her first DT show tonight!

Offline bondrkm

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 01:06:46 PM »
Hey guys, I think I'm going to be at the Pine Box which is only about 2 or 3 blocks up the road from the Paramount.  I've never been, but it has a good reputation as being one of the better beer bars in the city. I'm sort of a beer dork  :angel: so it made sense to try it. Looks like they have happy hour from 3 to 6.
1600 Melrose Ave
www.pineboxbar.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 01:30:15 PM »
Hey guys, I think I'm going to be at the Pine Box

I will head there, but I don't have an ETA since I'll be taking the bus straight from work.

... how can we know who's from DTF?

Look for the dorky looking guys in DT shirts with no women around them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 01:37:39 PM »
You just described 90% of the people who will be at the venue.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bondrkm

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 01:40:55 PM »
LOL.
I'll be in a SFAM shirt with a Sounders FC hat.  Wife is staying home this time, so yes, no women. :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »

Might be closer to 96%  :lol You should have seen the bathroom situation at RCMH during intermission. I never saw anything like it.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 03:24:01 PM »
I'll be there in a grey t shirt and i have a shaved head and black glasses. I'll probably be there at 530.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »
And my name is Rich. Less awkward than having to call out a username to get someone's attention,  i figure ;)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »

I meant at the meet-up spot before the show,  but yeah :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 11:44:10 AM »

Where in Sequim? My fiance is from Sequim. I'll be taking her to her first DT show tonight!
I live about 2 miles west of Sequim near the railroad bridge park.. Who's your fiance, I might know who she is?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 12:04:20 PM »

Might be closer to 96%  :lol You should have seen the bathroom situation at RCMH during intermission. I never saw anything like it.

You know Dream Theater has increased in popularity when the Ladies Room line is around the corner during intermission.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 12:37:24 PM »
I live about 2 miles west of Sequim near the railroad bridge park.. Who's your fiance, I might know who she is?

You know Sequim is a small town when you mention your fiancé lives there, and someone else who lives there thinks they might know her.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 12:48:21 PM »

You know Sequim is a small town when you mention your fiancé lives there, and someone else who lives there thinks they might know her.
Lol, yep! It is a small town and I've lived there all my life.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:42:55 AM by Architeuthis »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
Hope you made it to the show.

I always get Sequim and Forks mixed up, and which one has all the Twilight tourist dorks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
Forks has the dorks..  :yarr

Offline PetFish

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 02:16:49 AM »
Well, I totally forgot to check back here for possible meeting areas before I left, next time let's pick a place nearby and try and get there a little early.

As for the show...

What else can be said that hasn't already been said?  Amazing, astonishing, incredible, emotional, etc are all simultaneously valid.  If I could add a word in there it would have to be "triumphant".  Dream Theater has done something that nobody is doing now and that nobody could possibly come close to pulling off and it's also something that hasn't even really been attempted in like 25 years.  Talking with James after the show he mentioned that in addition to the great response from the fans that the "industry" seems to be taking notice of this spectacle as well.  I also know that JP was talking with a writer after the show so it seems there's going to be a book or something else coming down the pipe.

What *really* sells the show are the visuals.  As you've seen in a few photos and videos online there are no video screens with closeups of the guys playing so unless you had binoculars or close seats trying to watch the players was nearly impossible... which pushes your focus to the video screens and the visuals of the story.  Personally speaking, I still hadn't figured out the story, I had gaps and a little confusion, but being able to watch the movie play while the guys performed the soundtrack really helped me out.

A heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS to JP and JR for spearheading this immense project and also to JL, MM, and JM for stepping up to the plate, especially James.  This was a monumental vision that required a monumental effort to put forth and perform consistently and passionately.  This was truly a rock opera for the ages.

As usual, whenever DT play Seattle and/or Vancouver, it's great to meet up with some long-time friends and fans that I've only known through DT.  It was great seeing Frank, Ben, and Milena along with some newer friends Neil & Erin and William and his kid.  I even met some people from Brazil who did the meet&greet.

Great band.  Great music.  Great fans.  Great friends.

TL;DR - Wow, man, wow.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 10:23:43 AM »
Cool review!  Yeah I got to meet up with Ben too. The show was beyond fantastic! I had two friends with me that never even heard DT and they came with me on blind faith, pardon the pun. They said it was the best concert they have ever been to! So now I got a new DT converts.  :tup
 The sound was nearly perfect and JLB,,,, wow!!!
This might be tied for first with the best concerts I've ever seen! I really really hope to see a DVD/bluray of TA in the future..

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 12:02:25 AM »
The show as unreal. Made me appreciate the album so much more. I'm Astonished!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 11:17:31 AM »
I think the attendance was around 2000. The Paramount holds 2,800 and there were a lot of empty seats towards the back of the upper balcony. It may be because it was a Wednesday night. I had another friend that really wanted to go but had to work late..  You have to be a die-hard to go to a rock concert on a week night..  :metal

Offline bondrkm

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 12:52:56 PM »
I also thought it was a great show.  It was nice seeing Cool Chris again and meeting up with  SchecterShredder.  Can't wait for the next tour!