Author Topic: Tarja Turunen appreciation thread  (Read 5269 times)

Offline ronnibran

Tarja Turunen appreciation thread
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:50:36 PM »
OK, so I know there have been side discussions about Tarja on the Nightwish thread, but decided to start my own thread just about Tarja's solo career.

Anyone see the new official video of her new song?  https://youtu.be/dqZs-DFtx9g

I have to admit, I really, really like it.  I have the 3 rock based solo albums.  I like "What Lies Beneath" the most, by far.  If you are a fan of Tarja, or the Nightwish albums with her, check it out.  It is soooo good.

Looks like her new album has so much material written and recorded that it's basically going to be a couple of albums.  I'm stoked.  https://www.tarjaturunen.com/en/news/tarjaannounces-the-releaseof-the-brightestvoid-the-prequel-and-reveals-cover-art-work-and-tracklist-over50minutesofnewmusic-out-on-june-3rd-2016/#.VxgiotLmrIU

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Tarja Turunen appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:53:23 PM »
I mostly dig her stuff. There's a few moments where she gets way too over the top, even for me.

I think my main issue with her is how manufactured it all feels. I feel like her thought process is "Well....I don't really like this kind of music all that much, but it's where the money comes from, so I guess it's what I have to do..."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 04:15:32 AM »
Tarja will always be my preferred singer for Nightwish.
But her solo material has been hit and miss for me.
I actually prefer her classical material over the heavier stuff.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 04:26:30 AM »
Tarja will always be my preferred singer for Nightwish.
But her solo material has been hit and miss for me.
I actually prefer her classical material over the heavier stuff.

Interesting... I haven't even checked out a single note of the classical stuff.  I'll have to do that.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 05:54:40 AM »
Travelled to Nottingham two years ago to see her and she really is amazing live.  An absolute sight to behold.  And Mike Terrana!!   :hefdaddy

What Lies Beneath is probably also my favourite though I love all her post Nightwish material.  It's amazing how much stronger her voice became after leaving Nightwish, just so thankful we now have both her and Nightwish making their own material both as awesome as each other  :)  :)  :)  Not so sure about the newest single at the moment but i'm sure it'll grow on me like everything else has.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:04:19 AM »
Tarja is great. She will always be THE singer of Nightwish for me. Not that the other singers aren't good in their own way, but it's her voice that brought my attenion to the band. I love her solo work more than the newer Nightwish material. I'd love to see her live at some point.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 06:43:11 AM »
Agree that her solo is hit or miss but I'll continue to purchase them. The one thing that bugs me about her is how awkward she is on stage. I picked up her blu-ray dirt cheap a few years back and it was so hard to watch because of how strange she is on stage.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
I own three of her solo albums (My Winter Storm, What Lies Beneath and Colours in the Dark). They're nothing spectacular, but still nice. My Winter Storm is by far my favourite of these, thought What Lies Beneath also has a lot of good tunes. I only listened to Colours in the Dark once as I bought and it didn't do a lot for me. I should revisit this one.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 09:56:27 AM »
The only album I have is What Lies Beneath.  I have heard other songs here and there, and none of it really did much for me at all.  That also goes for her guest spot with Within Temptation a little while back.  I loved her in Nightwish.  But none of the solo stuff makes me want to listen.  I think this is a part of it:

I think my main issue with her is how manufactured it all feels. I feel like her thought process is "Well....I don't really like this kind of music all that much, but it's where the money comes from, so I guess it's what I have to do..."

That said, especially since this is an appreciation thread, let me just say that I think she is immensely talented and I really respect her singing ability.  I wish things had not become toxic in Nightwish between her and the band (and I think all parties involved, including band management and her husband, contributed to the situation).  But her voice was so well suited to the music of Nightwish, and vice-versa.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 02:53:05 PM »
I checked out her classical stuff and... not for me!!!  I can understand why and that some people may dig it, but I couldn't do it.

As far as her 3 rock albums,  I rank them What Lies Beneath > Colours in the Dark  > My Winter Storm.  The first of those 2 I listen to regularly, and more than the Nightwish albums she's on.  I don't listen to My Winter Storm nearly as much.  Actually, I only have 2 of the Nightwish albums she's on, I should check the others out (I have Once and Century Child).

Anyways, was inspired to create the thread b/c I love the new song.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
I appreciate the fact that, after being booted out of a popular band when they were on a roll and showed no signs of letting up, she didn't dwell on it and instead went on to release material that her fans seem to enjoy. I have liked what solo material I have heard from her, but haven't pulled the trigger on any purchases. I definitely like her "era" with NW more than the Annette "era."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 03:28:37 PM »
Loved her in Nightwish but never dug into her solo stuff.  Seems like I should check it out.

Online Adami

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 12:04:41 AM »
Listening to No Bitter End right now and watching the video.

...........no. This is just bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »

I actually REALLY like that song.  But the real reason for posting is excitement that the first of the new albums will be available within hours!  I just pre-ordered on amazon and will download as soon as I get to work.  So excited.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 04:40:53 AM »
As huge a fan of Tarja as I am, the new teaser prequel whatever its called album thingy sounds like a load of b-sides or extra tracks they just found lying around.  Can't say i'm too fond of them.  Still looking forward to the proper album though.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 08:27:15 AM »
That's too bad. I'll probably still pick it up today.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »
I like this new cd more than My Winter Storm & Colours.  Not as good as "What Lies Beneath", but I realize the best stuff is probably saved for the next cd.  Need more listens until I know which are my favorites.  But in general, I like the direction of the new songs.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 07:50:33 AM »

I actually REALLY like that song.  But the real reason for posting is excitement that the first of the new albums will be available within hours!  I just pre-ordered on amazon and will download as soon as I get to work.  So excited.

Same here. I especially love the bridge and chorus.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »
"House of Wax", "Eagle Eye", and "Your Heaven and Your Hell" are my initial favorites.  Diggin the album, despite it just being the shorter teaser album.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 02:30:44 PM »
Don't miss her, one bit.
Xena kicks her ass so hard.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »
Don't miss her, one bit.

It's been over 10 years.  Let it go  ;D  Singing isn't a competition.

I've grown to really like The Brightest Void I must say.  Took me a few weeks but really enjoy it now.  And if the rest of The Shadow Self is as good as Innocence then I know i'm going to love that too :D  The video for Innocence is particularly brilliant.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
Don't miss her, one bit.

It's been over 10 years.  Let it go  ;D  Singing isn't a competition.

I've grown to really like The Brightest Void I must say.  Took me a few weeks but really enjoy it now.  And if the rest of The Shadow Self is as good as Innocence then I know i'm going to love that too :D  The video for Innocence is particularly brilliant.

I REALLY missed her when Anette was in.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »
Me too.  But I've moved on.  I really liked Tarja in Nightwish, but haven't liked anything she has done since.  Bummer too.  Century Child and Once were two of my favorite albums from anybody during that time period.  If Nightwish had continued on that trajectory and not blown up, they would probably be one of my favorite bands right now.  But since they parted ways, neither side has done anything that really grabbed me.  Even the song Tarja did with Within Temptation really felt dubpar to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 09:42:02 AM »

I never thought in a million years I would be happy with a Tarja replacement in Nightwish, but I am perfectly happy with Floor being the singer now.

Unfortunately, Tarja's solo material has done absolutely nothing for me, at all. This new song/video included. The song is very generic, and despite all the animated faces she's making, I just don't feel her heart is in it.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 02:17:57 PM »
Tarja fans seem to refuse to accept the fact that you liked Tuomas's music.
Of course Tarja fits better than Floor on so many of the Tarja era songs (Ever Dream with Floor tho...), because the songs were written for her!
Personally, EFMB is a top 2015 album.
As for Tarja solo, I don't really follow her.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online Adami

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
It's interesting that (with rare exception) Floor is told to not sing the older songs operatically.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 05:26:47 PM »
Actually, on this last tour, she did sing some more operatic.

Probably to make her different, I personally like the way she sings Ever Dream way more than the original.

She totally owns Anette's songs, tho.
It would be interesting to see her try Siren.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online Adami

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »

Probably to make her different, I personally like the way she sings Ever Dream way more than the original.

Which? Besides Stargazer. I admit I'm basing most of my stuff on official releases, so I just have the last DVD, but all the other old stuff was sung more rock.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvQznPZufl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frb2xc9GNZU

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 05:57:09 PM »

How the fuck did I miss these videos?
Dang, just proves my point before.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »
Being a spanish speaker myself, I've frequently had to deal with the Latin American hatred for everything that is not Tarja.

The ending to that was just fucking amazing, really.
I can only point and laugh at all the spanish comments around claiming that Floor can't do what Tarja does, that video proves it, she just doesn't do it like her for the "Oh" parts and I don't know why.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online Adami

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 06:04:47 PM »

I mean, it sounds like she's still singing this rock style. The little oh oh parts are a bit operatic, but the vocals with lyrics are not.

I'm pretty sure aside from a few minor parts without lyrics, and Stargazers, she's sticking to rock style for all older songs.

Which is fine, I'm not complaining. Just thought it was odd since Floor is a super talented opera singer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
I'd like to hear her sing Gethsemane.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2016, 04:33:21 PM »
Officially digging the new album The Shadow Self.  Innocence and Demons in Me are my early favorites.   It is a lot like What Lies Beneath to me, which is a good thing.  It's def in my top two of her albums (along with WLB), but not sure if it will top that one.  I doubt it but we'll see.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »
She actually just came out and performed with Within Temptation for Paradise during the live stream of the concert.  Really awesome, although I think she sounded terrible.  My first time seeing her in a long time.