Author Topic: Visiting San Francisco  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Bruinsfan25

Visiting San Francisco
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:51:32 AM »
So I'm going to be visiting SF for the third time this June. I have some friends that live out there but I'm going with someone that's never been and he's very laid back as far as doing things so we pretty much have free reign over making plans. Right now we have tickets to see the Red Sox at Giants on the 8th. I'm mainly going for that and the Portuguese festival in San Jose on Saturday the 11th but other than that we don't have anything planned. We were thinking of doing a night tour of Alcatraz but it's not offered and the three of us have been there a few times now. Any locals that can suggest some ideas that we might not have done before? I love the city but I don't want to get stuck doing nothing. My buddy's big on cigar smoking so I figured we go to some shops for him although that's not really my thing.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Visiting San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 08:58:33 AM »
Lonestar is probably your best bet for sights to see, but I'll just add that if you like craft beer at all, there's a *fantastic* brewery in SF called Cellarmaker whose tap room is definitely worth a visit.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:37:39 AM »
That sounds like a pretty good idea. I probably should've mentioned that we're staying in Concord but my buddy works in SF so we'll be meeting up with him most nights. Also, this might be a dumb question but what's Lonestar?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:38:20 AM »
Lonestar is a member here who lives and works in San Francisco.

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:53:26 AM »
That makes perfect sense

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
Love San Fran. Great city. Home to two of my top five favorite bookstores. Chronicle Books (also an independent publisher), and City Lights. I've done two book signings at City Lights, and the staff is always wonderful. At Chronicle I always walk away with several obscure, cool, interesting tomes of some sort.

Then you must hit Muir Woods, and Stinson Beach. Just a short jaunt across the Golden Gate.

I won't bore you with food ideas. I'll leave that advice to the expert... Lonestar.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 03:44:30 PM »
Having been to SF a few times we've walked through Muir woods before. It was great. Stinson beach will be added to the list of places to go along with hawk hill which was so foggy that I couldn't see 10 feet in front of myself.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 06:44:02 PM »
If you have time, I'd highly recommend driving up the Pacific Coast Highway. 
We drove from San Fran to Napa and the drive was amazing.

I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 07:29:07 PM »
The first time I visited we drove up the coast after we visited San Jose. It was great. We stopped at a random winery then we hit up Napa Valley the next day. It amazes me how much different the weather/temperature is compared to SF when you travel just a few miles north or south.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 07:49:16 PM »
Hello...

So.... as to food recommendations, let me know what cuisine and how much per head you want to spend, and I can find something. I don't actually hit the city too much, I live and work in Berkeley, and spend most of my time in the east bay. Oakland has a phenomonal up and coming dining scene as well, if you're in that area.

I know for a fact the Fairmont in San Francisco has a small shop that sells very, very high end cigars (don't smoke anymore, but the guy said they started in the $100 range), so there's that. I'll try and think of some more out of the way things that could be intriguing, and get back to me with the restaurant ideas so I can recommend some stuff.

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
We've eaten at fisherman's wharf and joe's along with some other places near their house in Concord. I'd like to try a Portuguese restaurant out just to compare to the food out here and because I'm Portuguese and naturally judgmental. Mostly looking for stuff to do during the week but it doesn't necessarily have to be in the city. As far as cigars, he's cheap so I doubt he'd shell out that much for a cigar. I had the idea of going to a cigar shop so he can have a smoke while my friend and I preferably sit outside and drink and maybe grab a bite.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:52:49 PM »
We've eaten at fisherman's wharf and joe's along with some other places near their house in Concord. I'd like to try a Portuguese restaurant out just to compare to the food out here and because I'm Portuguese and naturally judgmental. Mostly looking for stuff to do during the week but it doesn't necessarily have to be in the city. As far as cigars, he's cheap so I doubt he'd shell out that much for a cigar. I had the idea of going to a cigar shop so he can have a smoke while my friend and I preferably sit outside and drink and maybe grab a bite.

I made a small typo, I work in Berkeley, but actually live in Concord. Small world lol

If you're going to be making the trip from Concord to the city, then a great meal can be had in Oakland at Jack London Square, a place called Bocanova. Killer higher end hispanic cuisine. Just did a quick check for Portuguese places, and nothing too intriguing came up, but if I remember I'll ask some of the other chefs at work tomorrow who get out more. There's a shit ton of cigar shops though, from casual bars with smoking rooms to high end stuff like I mentioned. If you want to check out a sweet record store, on Telegraph in Berkeley there's Rasputin's and Amoeba music, both are frikkin massive. For cool day trips, half moon bay is cool, as is the Marin Headlands and all the surrounding areas there. The walk to Point Bonita lighthouse is especially awesome (check cause it's only open certain days). For something closer to Concord, there's Mount Diablo. Bout an hour drive to the top, tons of killer views, hiking trails, and the like, and due to the heavy rains, its green as fuck this year.

If I think of anything more, I'll add it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 10:32:30 PM »
If you're there for any length of time, I'd recommend spending a night in Monterey or Carmel. The overland route to get there through the redwoods is quite lovely. The next day you can drive the Big Sur and see hours of wonderful scenery, including two wonderful falls, before heading back.

I spent half my time in the Monterrey area and half in SF and greatly preferred the former; your mileage may vary.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 05:15:16 AM »
We've gone up to Mount Diablo before but I wouldn't be against doing it again. My buddy is kind of annoying me because he's made no suggestions at all but whatever. I'll mention the Oakland restaurant to my friend but I doubt she'll want to go because she's kind of snooty and I'm not sure she'd want to go somewhere just for a meal. Regardless, thanks a ton for the suggestions, I'll mention all of them and see what everyone else thinks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 05:23:47 PM »
You should consider doing something that you can't do in Boston in June.

Like catch a playoff hockey game. :D

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 06:40:40 PM »
That's really funny considering your team has never played any games in June  :rollin   But in all seriousness, I was planning on visiting back in March to catch the Sharks and B's but totally spaced on it until like a week before the game. Oh well, maybe next year