Author Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no cameras" rule?  (Read 25123 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no cameras" rule?
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
The problem:  put a drink or five into their system, and an attitude, and people totally forget that there are others sitting (standing) behind them that want to see the frickin' show.  You know, those of us who have shelled out x amount of bucks for the tickets, travel, etc.....to see the band.

Baseball parks have the 'kiddie friendly' areas.  Concerts could have the 'video/picture' friendly areas.  Best of both worlds (as noted by an acknowledgement of a previous poster).  The hassle during intermissions is ridiculous.  Security walking up and down the aisles excessively is also intrusive and distracting.

Up until ten years ago, I remember being upset/angry/totally p*ssed with a single fan, and when my bigger friend tapped them on the shoulder and threatened to kick their axe if they didn't shut up....they shut up, and eventually moved.  I wish he was still around for 90% of the concerts and ballgames I've attended since, as respect and consideration for others at events is in small supply.  Also, in the old days, there was a 'self policing' attitude.  Nowadays, one is hesitant to tell an 'offender' that they are crossing the line, because one doesn't know how bat crazy the offender will react.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »
Up until ten years ago, I remember being upset/angry/totally p*ssed with a single fan, and when my bigger friend tapped them on the shoulder and threatened to kick their axe if they didn't shut up....they shut up, and eventually moved.  I wish he was still around for 90% of the concerts and ballgames I've attended since, as respect and consideration for others at events is in small supply.  Also, in the old days, there was a 'self policing' attitude.  Nowadays, one is hesitant to tell an 'offender' that they are crossing the line, because one doesn't know how bat crazy the offender will react.

Eh, the 'self policing' theory still works. :hat

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »
Well, again, the band's rule is NOT "no pictures at all."  The band's rule is: "no pictures during performance only," and they otherwise encourage pictures.  Some security teams at some venues are misinterpreting and enforcing it differently.  But that has been the case in the past as well.  I think it is just showing up as more of an issue this time around because they are playing a lot of different venues.

I find that rather doubtful reasoning. First of all, the Boston Orpheum by default explicitly allows pictures and videos to be taken. Secondly, there was simply no doubt or ambiguity at all by the staff. *Any* use of cellphone inside the main room was immediately admonished. They even threatened eviction in the case I overheard.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2016, 11:19:29 AM »
I heard this directly from the usher before the show even started. I took a picture of the stage and she came flying down and told me as a request of the band no one can pull their cell phone out. If I did it again I would be ejected.  If there was a need to look at our cell phone we'd have to go out to the hallway.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:27:46 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2016, 11:29:43 AM »
I heard this directly from the usher before the show even started. I took a picture of the stage and she came flying down and told me as a request of the band no one can pull their cell phone out. If I did it again I would be ejected.  If there was a need to look at our cell phone we'd have to go out to the hallway.
LOL, I don't take pictures or film at all.  But I will have my phone with me and very possibly look at it.

It I'm ejected, it's the last DT show I ever go to.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
I would never not go.  I was just put off how agressive they were and since I've seen every tour from I&W except one tour they never did this. 

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »
You can believe whatever you want to believe.  But you have official word from the band on what the policy is, so the "I didn't get what I want, so the band must be lying!" thing makes no sense.  :dunno: 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »
I would never not go.  I was just put off how agressive they were and since I've seen every tour from I&W except one tour they never did this.

It's just weird, you would think they were selling out arenas or something.  In case they haven't noticed, they're not.  The first L.A. show (I'm going to the second) still has a lot of tickets left.  But, no, can't have any clips on yoytube that might encourage people to go.  Whatever, it's their career not mine.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2016, 12:54:55 PM »
I must be one of the few people that actually get this. This band spoils us rotten with regular, professionally shot live recordings and it's surely inevitable we'll get one for this tour as well.

I do sympathise with those who can't make it to one of the live shows for whatever reason, but these amateurish cell phone recordings you see on YouTube don't exactly do the music justice.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2016, 01:44:53 PM »
You can believe whatever you want to believe.  But you have official word from the band on what the policy is, so the "I didn't get what I want, so the band must be lying!" thing makes no sense.  :dunno:

I'm not saying they are lying.  They need to do a better job clarifying to the venue management.  In the end it is on them to set those parameters bosk1.  As you can tell from the multiple posts from this show, The Orpheum went overboard, to the point of not allowing before the show and during intermission to even pull out a cell phone.  That "IS" on the band.  They need to clearly dictate this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2016, 01:53:55 PM »
No, they don't "need" to do anything.  If the venue chooses to enforce the rule more strictly, that is their prerogative.  If you think the band "need" to do anything, that is entirely on you for having misplaced expectations.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2016, 01:57:08 PM »
I think you are wrong on this one.  It's their request bosk1 so they should give the venue the parameters.  Other bands come there and allow it so it's up to the band to set the level of how much they want to enforce.

Either way, I will always go no matter if I can use my cell or not but it was so over the top it was unnerving.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2016, 02:02:15 PM »
No, they don't "need" to do anything.  If the venue chooses to enforce the rule more strictly, that is their prerogative.  If you think the band "need" to do anything, that is entirely on you for having misplaced expectations.

Well, pissing off an already small fan base probably isn't the best plan.  It appears they are doing that to a certain percentage.  I fully expect to be checking my baseball scores, etc, beforehand and during the intermission.  The empty seats that Ticketmaster currently shows for the night before (mine is sold out) suggests they should encourage their fans not chase them away.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2016, 02:35:32 PM »
I think the rule should be you can put your camera in the air for a grand total of 45 (I'm willing to compromise and say 25-30 )seconds throughout the entire show.

How would you monitor or enforce that for a few thousand people?

As a fan, I'm of the... I really don't care about this either way, view.

Obviously I was being a bit facetious.  It should be a self imposed rule. 
What hurts DT more, a guy who pays the ticket and films the entire show and puts it on youtube or that guy not being there at all and no ticket purchase?  Honest question.

It's apples and oranges but I will play devil's advocate.

If someone films a show with a crappy camera and puts it on youtube, people might say the band's performance is lacking and not take into consideration that a cell phone almost never adequately captures the quality of the band's performance.  This could lead to more people choosing to sit out from seeing the show. 

This goes along with the downloading question that was discussed a while back.  It wasn't a "fun" discussion so I don't want to rehash it but even though I generally feel downloading isn't a big deal, I do think a band has a right to present a product they want to (which is why I never download, legally or illegally because I feel you should have the full product in front of you with artwork, lyrics, etc). 

I do watch youtube videos occasionally so perhaps it is a bit hypocritical, but if I had to choose between a million cameras in the air disrupting a performance and getting to see the shitty upload 2 hours later from half way across the world or going back to the dark ages of 2003 when we didn't have that ability and generally had to be in the moment at the concert, I would choose the latter. 

Sure, some people might be encouraged to spend the money after seeing a youtube vid and others might be discouraged.  Just like with downloading, it sometimes benefits a band and sometimes hurts them.  Ultimately consider two things:  What does the band want and what do the people around you want? In other words, as James said at the last concert I saw them at, "We're not saying don't take a picture or get a 30 second video, but after you do, put that flippin' thing away and actually watch us in 3D" (paraphrased)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2016, 03:14:57 PM »
Not sure why is there any complaining. Rules are rules, and whether they are rolled out by the band or the venue, you must respect them. I have an issue with people pulling out their phone and taking pictures or filming. It's distracting and to some extent, rude. True, there are some bands that allow pics and videos, but they still have to abide by the venues' rules. Whether the venue enforces them, it's up to them. I've seen many bands over the years (big and small venues) and some venues care about this rule, others don't. And to be honest, I have enjoyed the concerts more at the venues were the no pictures/cameras policies are enforced. I have taken pics and videos but sometimes I wonder why I do that. I have enjoyed the experience more as a whole when I put away my phone. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »
Because it was never enforced intil this tour and I've seen every tour from I&W to The Astonishing. 

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
I think that every venue needs to have a policy that says if someone in front of you is filming and it's distracting, you should ask them to stop, and if they don't, you have the right to slap their expensive device out of their hand and they can't do anything about it.
As for this particular tour, yeah, it definitely felt like a special experience because pretty much nobody had their phones out the whole time. Sure, I enjoyed getting some stellar shots of the band before, but I can actually restrain myself to a couple of songs, or certain moments like when (or if) JR comes to the front with his Zen Riffer. But some people just have their phones out the whole time and it's annoying, so at the end of the day, I'll gladly abide by the no recording devices rule, no complaints.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »
Because it was never enforced intil this tour and I've seen every tour from I&W to The Astonishing.

Well, I saw Dream Theater in Albuquerque during the Gigantour and venue staff told me to put my camera away.  Phoenix was the same way during the Train of Thought tour. I also saw them at RCMH Score show and security staff showed up a few rows in front of me and told them to stop taking pictures...So I'm not sure about the "never enforced until this tour" view comes from. Maybe this is the first time that the band requested the venue policy to be enforced...probably that's what you meant.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2016, 03:56:28 PM »
15 shows for me and they "never" stopped me from snapping a few pictures and I mean only a few. I don't want to waste my time taking pics.  I want to enjoy the show.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2016, 04:40:43 PM »
As I walked through the entrance to the oakdale some lady was yelling "the band does not allow photography"

They weren't messing around last night. It was very much sit down and shut up vibe to the audience

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2016, 05:21:34 PM »
Not sure why is there any complaining. Rules are rules, and whether they are rolled out by the band or the venue, you must respect them.

I think we all get that.  But we have lives outside of DT and if they're inconvenienced, we just won't go.  It's a horrible business model but one they have the right to choose.  Meanwhile about 300 seats (at a small venue) still unbought for May 6 at L.A.  I'm going to venture to say that their business acumen doesn't measure up to that of their musicianship.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2016, 05:25:02 PM »
Yes, because CLEARLY people are staying away in droves due to the "no photos during the show" rule that has been in effect for years now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2016, 05:27:12 PM »
That would never stop me and I did and will abide. I just wish they wouldn't.  I just want to boast on the internet about DT with pictures.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2016, 05:35:37 PM »
Yes, because CLEARLY people are staying away in droves due to the "no photos during the show" rule that has been in effect for years now.

I think this motto should be changed to "in effect for years but only enforced now"

And I agree with Belichickfan, it's a bad business model, but their right.

I personally have stayed away from DT on youtube to avoid stage/lighting spoilers and be able to experience it all new, but for shits and giggles I just youtubed "dream theater the astonishing live" and there are tons of videos.  I didn't watch any, but it seems clear the policy doesn't even fully work.

I'll get the experience myself Saturday night, but honestly if the ushers are patrolling the isle (and I have an isle seat) with flashlights and telling people to sit (I expect to sit anyway) I am going to feel like DT's live experience is a bit of a turn off.  I'll hold my judgement on that till I see the show, but as of now, that is how I feel.  I don't expect it to be that bad personally so I hope it's not the case.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2016, 05:37:43 PM »
I made a game out of sneaking the camera around the security guard dressed as a lemon.
I paid a lot for my seats and got a flashlight facial as if I constantly had my camera out (due to having the seat closest to the guard) so I think I earned it.
I also managed to photograph King Crimson so just call me a concert voyeur photographer.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »
Well I will see in two weeks.  I had no issue having my cell phone with me at two shows on the last tour.  No for recording but for general life stuff before the show and during the intermission.

It may have nothing to do with phones but something isn't going well when they have two shows at a place holding 1,850 in one of the biggest cities in the country and one has about 300 unsold tickets two weeks ahead of time.  They should have tacked on one epic to the end to really excite people.  As I said, they're not the greatest business men.  But if this phone thing is as bad as is being said, it could affect them in a small way next time around. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2016, 06:11:35 PM »
I am fine with it.

Then again, I almost never take pics or videos at concerts (I did take several pics at the U2 one a few years ago, because that stage was so epic), since I would rather focus 100% on the concert rather than taking pics or videos to show friends who don't like the band that much in the first place.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2016, 06:22:33 PM »
Absolutely ridiculous! We are in an age of technology, any douche can sneak in a go-pro and bootleg the entire show. Why not embrace technology and let your fans take a few pix as memorabilia? All they will do is post it all over social media and help publicize your band! Would they be afraid of their hair being messed up in a picture? It's sad that you have people policing the venue and throwing people out or trying to take their possessions over being a fan and trying to capture a moment in time that means something to you. When i saw DT for the SFAM tour at the Oakdale I brought a camera, took a few pix and some guy working there ripped it out of my hands and told me I had a choice, I could leave or he was taking the camera. I've been irked by going to a show to cut loose a little and enjoy a band I help support only to have to obey rules, no cameras, stay seated, be a good boy.  :tdwn

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2016, 04:43:01 AM »
Totally agree. First, it's a good occasion to realize that you can have a life without using your smartphone for a couple of hours.  Second, I'm not sure I would like to see my shows on the net for everyone before the end of a tour. Today's bands are not selling a lot of records for all the reasons we know, let them sell their concerts tickets and dvds.

Nobody is passing up on a good gig or DVD because of crappy camera phone live footage on Youtube.

I thought it was the venues' policies, rather than the band's. The Facebook post about it asked us to respect venues' policies on cameras.

I've also edited the thread title, as I'm pretty certain nobody thinks it would be ok to talk on the phone at a gig. :lol

I disagree. If it weren't for phones at gigs, we wouldn't even have Johnny B. Goode.

They are not all crappy. Some are very good quality.  Before I went to see Rush last tour, I had already seen all of it on YouTube, filmed by someone with great quality and close to the stage.  But I would never miss a Rush show.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2016, 05:04:21 AM »
They are not all crappy.

Yes they are.  :lol

You just can't capture the sound of a concert authentically with a phone.

All they will do is post it all over social media and help publicize your band!

Um, what? Who sees a picture of a band performing and goes "That's a cool picture, I'm going to buy some of their albums"? I'm pretty sure that 99% of the people who would see the picture wouldn't care at all. Also, professional photographers do the job just fine anyway.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2016, 05:34:41 AM »
Absolutely ridiculous! We are in an age of technology, any douche can sneak in a go-pro and bootleg the entire show. Why not embrace technology and let your fans take a few pix as memorabilia? All they will do is post it all over social media and help publicize your band! Would they be afraid of their hair being messed up in a picture? It's sad that you have people policing the venue and throwing people out or trying to take their possessions over being a fan and trying to capture a moment in time that means something to you. When i saw DT for the SFAM tour at the Oakdale I brought a camera, took a few pix and some guy working there ripped it out of my hands and told me I had a choice, I could leave or he was taking the camera. I've been irked by going to a show to cut loose a little and enjoy a band I help support only to have to obey rules, no cameras, stay seated, be a good boy.  :tdwn

I seriously doubt DT cares about their hair being messed up. :lol :lol

Just because you bought a ticket to the show doesn't give you the right to take any picture or video you want at it. 

I get that we live in an age now where many think they are entitled to do whatever they want, when they want, rules be damned, but if the band asks for no cameras or anything, isn't it basically giving them the middle finger to ignore the request and do it anyway?

Call me crazy, but my great memories of the many concerts I have seen are all in my head, and that's good enough for me. :hat

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2016, 06:01:02 AM »

I seriously doubt DT cares about their hair being messed up. :lol :lol

Just because you bought a ticket to the show doesn't give you the right to take any picture or video you want at it. 

I get that we live in an age now where many think they are entitled to do whatever they want, when they want, rules be damned, but if the band asks for no cameras or anything, isn't it basically giving them the middle finger to ignore the request and do it anyway?

Call me crazy, but my great memories of the many concerts I have seen are all in my head, and that's good enough for me. :hat

If he was going to break the rules anyway, why would he be upset at a rule being introduced?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no CAMERAS" rule?
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2016, 06:02:42 AM »
                                                                                                 ^^^
They are not all crappy.

Yes they are.  :lol

You just can't capture the sound of a concert authentically with a phone.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2016, 06:18:59 AM »
Not sure why is there any complaining. Rules are rules, and whether they are rolled out by the band or the venue, you must respect them.

So what? That doesn't change what people are saying about the rules or the reasons why people say they should or shouldn't exist. All it offers to the discussion is 1) to state that, yes, the rule people are discussing is, in fact, a rule, & 2) to imply a vague guilt-by-association to those who disagree with it (i.e. to hint that people who disagree with the rules & people who break the rules are one in the same). It offers nothing to the discussion & is ultimately a null point.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2016, 07:17:42 AM »

So what? That doesn't change what people are saying about the rules or the reasons why people say they should or shouldn't exist. All it offers to the discussion is 1) to state that, yes, the rule people are discussing is, in fact, a rule, & 2) to imply a vague guilt-by-association to those who disagree with it (i.e. to hint that people who disagree with the rules & people who break the rules are one in the same). It offers nothing to the discussion & is ultimately a null point.

Agreed.  We aren't encouraging to break the rules here, just discussing the rule which while may have existed before, has never been enforced in this way before so it's worth discussing with the fans IMO.