Author Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no cameras" rule?  (Read 25141 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no cameras" rule?
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2016, 08:00:11 AM »
Lol

They actually were good. Hearing the late 70's early 80's were cool like Jane & Find Your Way Back.

I'm guessing they didn't play much material from the Jefferson Airplane days, though. :lol

Jane is a pretty killer tune.  Still shocks me how much Mickey Thomas sounded like Rik Emmett back then.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2016, 08:10:50 AM »
The did play White Rabbit.  But I still had to sit through Sara. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2016, 08:20:54 AM »
Sounds like that has more to do with some not being wild about TA than it does some being sissy girls because the band won't let you play on your phone the whole time at one of their shows. ;)

As much as I like TA, there are definitely a lot of fans who aren't as crazy about it, and I think the nature of that type of concert - playing NO older material and it being more of a seated than standing concert - could definitely hurt them.  If this album had gone over with the fan base as a whole like Scenes did for example, I can guarantee you that very few fans would really care about the no phones/cameras thing (except the FB dopes who love to go on social media and complain about anything), but to those people who aren't wild about TA, the no phones/cameras thing is like kicking them while they are down, metaphorically speaking.

I agree, it's not something that i think would be a deal breaker for any true fan but it does add to the watering down of the value of spending the money on the live show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2016, 08:52:05 AM »
So last night I had a couple drinks with my friend while playing some ping pong, decided to put on Score while we were inbetween games.  Going to Radio City tonight so figured Score would be awesome to watch in anticipation.  Well opening credits and I just had to share this picture.... taken of a picture.... from Score

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »

I actually like the song Sara.  Then again, I am a sucker for 80s nostalgia, as you well know. :biggrin:

I agree, it's not something that i think would be a deal breaker for any true fan but it does add to the watering down of the value of spending the money on the live show.

Maybe, but I am looking at this tour as an anomaly; I doubt this kind of format will continue on future tours.  They have too much time and money invested in the current tour to change on the fly, but I do wonder if they are slightly regretting committing to this long of a tour to play nothing but an album that appears to be getting mixed reviews from the fans.  They could have toured for years on Scenes from a Memory, and the fans would have ate it all up with a spoon, but TA isn't as loved as Scenes, plus I think DT has hit that imaginary point where anything new they play, regardless of how loved it might be, won't be nearly as well-received live as the old stuff.  That happens to almost all bands, and I think DT has hit that point.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »
Kev, everything you've said so far is exactly how I feel about this situation. The band is putting on an exquisite production. I bet they'd like the audience to actually witness the entire show. By doing away with phones, that makes it more likely you'll be watching the performance. It would feel like people aren't paying attention if they see loads of people looking down at a phone or through a screen. I'm sure they don't mind the occasional picture, but they put a lot into presenting The Astonishing, a full blown rock opera.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2016, 07:36:32 AM »

comingin at the end of the thread working backwards. Did you just see Starship? They're playing here locally in a day or two.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2016, 07:37:43 AM »
Haven't read a word of the thread, coming in at the end and answering the thread title, then will review afterwards...

So. I agree with the rule, which IMO it means there will be a live DVD, and that's cool with me. I say that because 1) that usually happens after no-photo-or-video-rules are implemented at shows of bands who normally allow them, and 2) why else would they be refusing free advertising and exposure that come from letting people take pics and vids, unless they were trying to keep all the footage to themselves for sale-ability purposes?

ETA: If there is no DVD at the end of all this then I will completely change my opinion. Likewise if there is no Hand. Cannot. Erase. Live DVD I was not allowed to take any photos of that either, though I watched others do it I didn't dare do so from my own particular seats out of respect.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:44:32 AM by JustJen »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2016, 07:50:39 AM »
The guy in front of me at RCMH got tossed about an hour in, and you know what, I was glad. From the moment the show started to the moment he got tossed, he had his phone out on full brightness. He was doing nothing but constantly updating Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter with photos and video. It was incredibly annoying. I asked him to turn the brightness down but he didn't speak English.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »
I have never seen a band so strict with phones they won't even let you use it during intermission

Ok, I think that that is an unneccesary. However, I completely agree with having the no phone rule during the performance.

Ha don't get why we couldn't even text during intermission made no sense I do get why no phones are allowed during the show but on the other hand it is free exposure

okay this is just flat out bullshit. I have kids. I check in on my kids during intermissions. I'm just as glad I didn't bother with this  tour if they're going to be acting like this.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2016, 08:03:38 AM »
Last night at the Baltimore show... ushers weren't playing any games. Anytime they saw someone with the phone pointed towards the stage, they yelled no phones, and even walked one dude out near me.  Now if you had your phone in your lap to check texts or whatever, they didn't seem to mind (or notice).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2016, 08:11:34 AM »
I got a picture of an usher  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2016, 08:13:39 AM »
I have never seen a band so strict with phones they won't even let you use it during intermission

Ok, I think that that is an unneccesary. However, I completely agree with having the no phone rule during the performance.

Ha don't get why we couldn't even text during intermission made no sense I do get why no phones are allowed during the show but on the other hand it is free exposure

okay this is just flat out bullshit. I have kids. I check in on my kids during intermissions. I'm just as glad I didn't bother with this  tour if they're going to be acting like this.

I went to two shows this tour, and while the ushers were strict as hell during the performance, I didn't see anyone given a hard time for using their phones during intermission.

Someone please do this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2016, 08:22:20 AM »
I was fairly neutral on the policy at the start of this thread.  But 6 pages in, I am realizing that the arguments against the policy really don't amount to anything more than, "I want to do what I want to do, and I'm mad that the band disagrees with my entitlement mentality." 

But anyway, to reiterate what the policy is, since some people still do not seem to get it despite it being clearly stated several times:  The bands policy is, no pictures or recording during performances only.  Pictures and recording at any other time are fine with the band.  If the venue chooses to enforce more strict rules, that is on the venue, not the band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2016, 11:52:27 AM »
Again bosk1, since it's the bands rules and this is their product, they needs to instruct the parameters to the venue they are playing at.  Not being able to pull your phone out before the show and during the intermission is bad for the band.  Sure it's the venue but they take their directive from the band. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2016, 12:02:36 PM »
They have instructed the venues.  But the venues can do whatever they want.  Seriously, get over it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2016, 12:25:31 PM »
I disagree so I won't.  I'm not being disrespectful.  I see this as a problem for fans of the new age.  I'm an old fart that never had a smart phone but now I like it.  That being said, I understand people go overboard and those are the ones that we should have issues with. 

I get when bands want that but they are misguided thinking that 95% are stealing their property.  I want to boast my love for them.  I buy their albums, never miss a tour, buy every DVD then Blu Rays.  I pay my way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »
For RCMH, the ushers didn't seem to care before the show, during intermission, after the show, and while you were in the lobby about your phone.  They also did not seem threatening, just asked you to put it down. 

I really hope this is just part of the "theater show" they are presenting and next time around there is no rule or enforcement of the rule.

I was fairly neutral on the policy at the start of this thread.  But 6 pages in, I am realizing that the arguments against the policy really don't amount to anything more than, "I want to do what I want to do, and I'm mad that the band disagrees with my entitlement mentality." 

While this may be true to some degree, it's quite clear from also reading this thread that there is a large portion of fans upset about this regardless of the reason why they are upset.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »
I disagree so I won't.  I'm not being disrespectful.  I see this as a problem for fans of the new age.  I'm an old fart that never had a smart phone but now I like it.  That being said, I understand people go overboard and those are the ones that we should have issues with. 

I get when bands want that but they are misguided thinking that 95% are stealing their property.  I want to boast my love for them.  I buy their albums, never miss a tour, buy every DVD then Blu Rays.  I pay my way.
That has nothing to do with it.  Again, you are blaming the band for the venue's own policy or enforcement of the policy.  It isn't the band's problem.  It is no different than if the band said, "we have no problem with fans smoking in the lobby before the show," but a venue saying "we don't care because we have a strict no smoking policy that is in force at all times anywhere on the grounds."  The band can't really tell them "we don't care about your policy.  We are playing there and want our fans to be able to do whatever they please, so screw your policy."  And on top of that, local enforcement of security is a low-level ministerial task that a band will NEVER get involved in anyway beyond initially having management communicate the band's security preferences.

Again, this "rule" is an old one that has been in effect for a long time, and you don't really appear to have too much of an issue with the band's rule in the first place.  What you appear to have an issue with is the venue.  So aim your whining at the venue where it belongs. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
I get the dissconect that it's the venue but they are following what the band wants.  It's still up to the band since this is their show in this venue to the level.  It's obvious that they didn't and it pissed off a lot of fans there.  trust me.  I saw it.  I never saw this before so I think the band should be more active with the venue.  That's all. 

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
They were shouting at everyone walking in "the band does not want pictures taken. Cameras and cell phones are not prohibited inside the theatre" They kept shouting this very loudly as we were entering and emphasizing this was the bands directive. I stood there for almost a half an hour before they let us in and they kept yelling this obnoxiously.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »
They were shouting at everyone walking in "the band does not want pictures taken. Cameras and cell phones are not prohibited inside the theatre" They kept shouting this very loudly as we were entering and emphasizing this was the bands directive. I stood there for almost a half an hour before they let us in and they kept yelling this obnoxiously.
Just to point out that there was nothing like this happening at the London shows, so it's very definitely the venue going that overboard and not the band's policy. You've obviously got shitty venues over in the States. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2016, 02:05:11 PM »
lol sure sounds like it!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2016, 02:07:36 PM »
 :lol

And I get that is what bosk1 is saying. I just think it should fall to the band since the venue is representing them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2016, 02:23:09 PM »
It seems that 6 pages in

The same people are saying the same things.

lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2016, 02:28:04 PM »
 :lol

Yup.  Oh well, hopefully they play somewhere else next time.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2016, 04:15:47 PM »
"Cameras and cell phones are not prohibited inside the theatre"

Ok, then what's the problem?   :lol :rollin :lol

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2016, 04:20:28 PM »
"Cameras and cell phones are not prohibited inside the theatre"

Ok, then what's the problem?   :lol :rollin :lol

Have you not read the thread at all?  :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2016, 10:44:12 PM »
Well, yes, there's pretty much no other reason because what you stated was pretty broad and obviously there is no necessity (I NEED to film this) so any reasons must be want. I think that the desire to record pictures, audio, or video is more valid than the "entitlement mentality" framing you name though.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »
I think that the desire to record pictures, audio, or video is more valid than the "entitlement mentality" framing you name though.

Why?

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2016, 11:45:22 AM »
I only really saw one instance at the Baltimore show where I thought the venue staff went a little too far; during intermission, a gentlemen beside me took a pic of the stage, the usher up front yelled at him "Hey, NO pictures" and drew her thumb under her throat.  The gentleman (who I assume was a little tipsy) proceeded to stare at the woman until she raised her arms in the air (signaling WTF I guess) and he then calmly said "OK"

It's intermission... and it was just a picture of the stage.

I will honestly say that I enjoyed the hell out of the show and made eye contact several times with JP and MM; it really was nice to just see hands in the air this time around.  We didn't sit down once.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #206 on: April 26, 2016, 11:52:23 AM »
At least now that people are avoiding to take any photos or videos they're actually enjoying the show through their own eyes.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2016, 11:55:48 AM »
Taking a few picture does not take away from the joy of a live show.

Taking pictures every 5 seconds does.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »
At least now that people are avoiding to take any photos or videos they're actually enjoying the show through their own eyes.

This means nothing, I enjoy every show I can go to whether I can take a picture or not... assuming it's a good show (which DT was).

One thing I noticed though when I saw Iron Maiden a month ago, I had seats very high and far away from the stage at Madison Square Garden.  When I would zoom in with my phone's camera, I was able to see so much better.  Granted, that is not how I watched the concert as using my own eyes is way more enjoyable, but considering how far away I was, it was interesting to be able to zoom in sort of like using binoculars. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2016, 12:34:19 PM »

When I'm a parent, I'm never taking a single picture of my kids. I want to make sure I enjoy every single second of their lives through my own eyes.