Author Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no cameras" rule?  (Read 25121 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no cameras" rule?
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2016, 05:50:05 PM »
DT must be frustrated. They have adjusted to the realities of music piracy by basically releasing their last two albums for free on their official Youtube channel. And now they are being asked to give in once again "hey let us video your whole show for free also. It's today's reality!"

I don't understand why they would be frustrated with people wanting to enjoy the concerts and share their fun with friends.  But to each their own.

If you are a band whose album sales are not really giving you enough for a living because of music piracy, and you are mostly reliant on touring for your living. Would you want people getting high quality vids of your shows, or worst case livestreaming the shows, and letting other people watch the shows for free online? I have seen livestreams of other artists online and it sucks for the artist, especially when I see how many people watch the livestream (usually more than those in live attendance).

Yes, some are just sharing them to a limited circle of friends. But DT and management can not really separate people who do limited sharing and those who don't. All they see are cameras. The best way is to just ban any form of recording.

The people who would rather watch a youtube video of a concert (even a great quality video) and not attend a concert are most likely the people not attending the concert anyway.  There is no experience the same as actually being there, including the professional blu rays DT release.  It's not the same, at all.  I'm sure there are some like that, but that is going to be a very small amount of fans who decide not to go to a concert because they can watch it online instead.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2016, 05:52:11 PM »
Absolutely ridiculous! We are in an age of technology, any douche can sneak in a go-pro and bootleg the entire show. Why not embrace technology and let your fans take a few pix as memorabilia? All they will do is post it all over social media and help publicize your band! Would they be afraid of their hair being messed up in a picture? It's sad that you have people policing the venue and throwing people out or trying to take their possessions over being a fan and trying to capture a moment in time that means something to you. When i saw DT for the SFAM tour at the Oakdale I brought a camera, took a few pix and some guy working there ripped it out of my hands and told me I had a choice, I could leave or he was taking the camera. I've been irked by going to a show to cut loose a little and enjoy a band I help support only to have to obey rules, no cameras, stay seated, be a good boy.  :tdwn

I seriously doubt DT cares about their hair being messed up. :lol :lol

Just because you bought a ticket to the show doesn't give you the right to take any picture or video you want at it. 

I get that we live in an age now where many think they are entitled to do whatever they want, when they want, rules be damned, but if the band asks for no cameras or anything, isn't it basically giving them the middle finger to ignore the request and do it anyway?

Call me crazy, but my great memories of the many concerts I have seen are all in my head, and that's good enough for me. :hat

I never said that because I bought a ticket it gives me the right to film, I just think it's ridiculous that they are so strict about it. These are your fans here and not trying to do anything other than show their love for the band. There is definitely a weird vibe for me from DT on this tour, something I've never experienced from them after seeing them so many times over the years. The whole strict no camera, no standing rules and minimal crowd engagement was a turn off for me.

Nothing shows your love for the band like going to the show and giving them your full, undivided attention. ;)

Plus, over the years, people with phones have gotten more and more annoying and distracting at concerts.  It's easy to say, "Ignore them," but they are everywhere, so you cannot. Banning them altogether is the way to go.  :tup :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2016, 06:39:53 PM »
Well I just wanted a few pictures but when you are told you can't even pull out your cell phone before the show starts and threatened to be thrown out the first time it passes you off as a fan.

How will the marshals distinguish among the hundreds of people those who just want to take some pics from those who is videoing the whole thing?

Ones who constantly abuse taking pictures or ones filming. It is their job to monitor so do it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2016, 06:51:40 PM »
Absolutely ridiculous! We are in an age of technology, any douche can sneak in a go-pro and bootleg the entire show. Why not embrace technology and let your fans take a few pix as memorabilia? All they will do is post it all over social media and help publicize your band! Would they be afraid of their hair being messed up in a picture? It's sad that you have people policing the venue and throwing people out or trying to take their possessions over being a fan and trying to capture a moment in time that means something to you. When i saw DT for the SFAM tour at the Oakdale I brought a camera, took a few pix and some guy working there ripped it out of my hands and told me I had a choice, I could leave or he was taking the camera. I've been irked by going to a show to cut loose a little and enjoy a band I help support only to have to obey rules, no cameras, stay seated, be a good boy.  :tdwn

I seriously doubt DT cares about their hair being messed up. :lol :lol

Just because you bought a ticket to the show doesn't give you the right to take any picture or video you want at it. 

I get that we live in an age now where many think they are entitled to do whatever they want, when they want, rules be damned, but if the band asks for no cameras or anything, isn't it basically giving them the middle finger to ignore the request and do it anyway?

Call me crazy, but my great memories of the many concerts I have seen are all in my head, and that's good enough for me. :hat

I never said that because I bought a ticket it gives me the right to film, I just think it's ridiculous that they are so strict about it. These are your fans here and not trying to do anything other than show their love for the band. There is definitely a weird vibe for me from DT on this tour, something I've never experienced from them after seeing them so many times over the years. The whole strict no camera, no standing rules and minimal crowd engagement was a turn off for me.

Nothing shows your love for the band like going to the show and giving them your full, undivided attention. ;)

Plus, over the years, people with phones have gotten more and more annoying and distracting at concerts.  It's easy to say, "Ignore them," but they are everywhere, so you cannot. Banning them altogether is the way to go.  :tup :tup

Ummm no

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2016, 07:18:31 PM »
Well I just wanted a few pictures but when you are told you can't even pull out your cell phone before the show starts and threatened to be thrown out the first time it passes you off as a fan.

How will the marshals distinguish among the hundreds of people those who just want to take some pics from those who is videoing the whole thing?

Ones who constantly abuse taking pictures or ones filming. It is their job to monitor so do it.

As somebody who had experience organizing events, this is close to logistically impossible with large crowds. Monitor each one of the hundreds (or thousands) and try to remember who in the audience is consistently abusing and who is just doing occasional shots? Not feasible.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2016, 07:24:49 PM »
It's just not that smart to do to the fans.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2016, 07:43:52 PM »
They are not all crappy.

Yes they are.  :lol

You just can't capture the sound of a concert authentically with a phone.

All they will do is post it all over social media and help publicize your band!

Um, what? Who sees a picture of a band performing and goes "That's a cool picture, I'm going to buy some of their albums"? I'm pretty sure that 99% of the people who would see the picture wouldn't care at all. Also, professional photographers do the job just fine anyway.

No you're wrong about some live recordings. Some guys are really doing great stuff. I guess it depends of the material they use. Have a look at Rush last tour, pretty amazing stuff. Didn't have to buy the live dvd they released..... Just for this time.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2016, 07:54:57 PM »

But fans of other artists do not have a problem with such policies. It's just a simple "no pictures allowed" rule, which is actually the norm, not the exception, in the performing arts industry.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
Re: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no CAMERAS" rule?
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2016, 07:57:45 PM »
                                                                                                 ^^^
They are not all crappy.

Yes they are.  :lol

You just can't capture the sound of a concert authentically with a phone.

If I may point to one of my recently recorded videos as a counter-example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4d0GB26Bds

Wow, great stuff. Of course not as good as a dvd but excellent quality.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2016, 08:10:35 PM »

But fans of other artists do not have a problem with such policies. It's just a simple "no pictures allowed" rule, which is actually the norm, not the exception, in the performing arts industry.

You say that but I take a few pictures at every show and never have that issue. I think you are overstating your point. If you dealt with what I dealt with this past Tuesday night you would see it differently.

Btw, when is it up to the performer to tell me how to enjoy their music?  I'm the customer here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »

Btw, when is it up to the performer to tell me how to enjoy their music?  I'm the customer here.

The customer is not always right. ;)

Ummm no

Yes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2016, 08:18:48 PM »
 :lol

Kev you would have lost your mind. I had my cell phone out before the show and I was told they would throw me out if I pulled it out again.  The house lights were on.

Then the same thing durring the intermission with other people around me. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2016, 08:20:50 PM »
So...don't look at your phone for a few hours.  I don't see what the big deal is.  I really don't, especially you're old enough to remember such times, unlike a lot of young people, who don't know anything other than being glued to your phone 24/7.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2016, 08:21:35 PM »
You say that but I take a few pictures at every show and never have that issue. I think you are overstating your point. If you dealt with what I dealt with this past Tuesday night you would see it differently.

Well, I am used to watching shows where celfones and cameras are surrendered at the gate and where the shows often remind people at the start to turn off celfones and to not use cameras. This is the norm in theater settings.

The situation is different in open-air concerts where it is quite relaxed.

I agree that maybe they have gone overboard to ban celfone use during intermissions, but maybe it's more of the theater staff's interpretation. I think the band is really just concerned about use during the performance itself.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2016, 08:24:18 PM »
I've been to every show imaginable. Never have they stopped me I over 150 plus concerts.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2016, 09:19:28 PM »

Kev you would have lost your mind. I had my cell phone out before the show and I was told they would throw me out if I pulled it out again.  The house lights were on.

Then the same thing durring the intermission with other people around me.

Totally unacceptable.  Not allowing recording is one thing, this is another.  If they want to make life miserable for their fans, attendance will continue to drop . . .

Offline DreamTheaterMM

« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2016, 09:27:11 PM »
I spoke with Maddie backstage in wallingford. He specifically said (after I asked him) This rule could possibly stay forever...the guys all get really annoyed when they're up on stage and they see 90% of the people recording. Not only this but he said that it had to do with some merchandise thing?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2016, 09:33:09 PM »
I spoke with Maddie backstage in wallingford. He specifically said (after I asked him) This rule could possibly stay forever...the guys all get really annoyed when they're up on stage and they see 90% of the people recording.

It is annoying. It was annoying when I was still part of a performing group more than ten years ago when people still use cameras, I imagine it is more annoying now with almost all people having cameras with their smart phones.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2016, 09:41:21 PM »
I've been to every show imaginable. Never have they stopped me I over 150 plus concerts.

You saw Starship on the Knee Deep in the Hoopla tour?? I knew it. :P

I spoke with Maddie backstage in wallingford. He specifically said (after I asked him) This rule could possibly stay forever...the guys all get really annoyed when they're up on stage and they see 90% of the people recording. Not only this but he said that it had to do with some merchandise thing?

Good. That has to be frustrating to be performing and look out and see so many people playing with their phones instead of focusing on the show.  Now, it's true that you cannot force fans to focus solely on you, but by not allowing phones and cameras, it takes away a big distraction and makes it far more likely that those fans will be more focused on the show. Bravo to the band. :tup :tup

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2016, 09:44:21 PM »
So...don't look at your phone for a few hours.  I don't see what the big deal is.  I really don't, especially you're old enough to remember such times, unlike a lot of young people, who don't know anything other than being glued to your phone 24/7.

Exactly.....perfectly put!!!!!

I said earlier in this thread that, as a fan I don't care about this topic, but I was wrong, I do care if someone holding a phone up to video is blocking my view of the show. That phone will be mine/destroyed, and I will watch that show without the obstruction. If you don't block my view, then do what you want....have a great day! :D Peace and Love, Peace and Love.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2016, 11:42:04 PM »
DT must be frustrated. They have adjusted to the realities of music piracy by basically releasing their last two albums for free on their official Youtube channel. And now they are being asked to give in once again "hey let us video your whole show for free also. It's today's reality!"

I don't understand why they would be frustrated with people wanting to enjoy the concerts and share their fun with friends.  But to each their own.

If you are a band whose album sales are not really giving you enough for a living because of music piracy, and you are mostly reliant on touring for your living. Would you want people getting high quality vids of your shows, or worst case livestreaming the shows, and letting other people watch the shows for free online? I have seen livestreams of other artists online and it sucks for the artist, especially when I see how many people watch the livestream (usually more than those in live attendance).

Yes, some are just sharing them to a limited circle of friends. But DT and management can not really separate people who do limited sharing and those who don't. All they see are cameras. The best way is to just ban any form of recording.

The people who would rather watch a youtube video of a concert (even a great quality video) and not attend a concert are most likely the people not attending the concert anyway.  There is no experience the same as actually being there, including the professional blu rays DT release.  It's not the same, at all.  I'm sure there are some like that, but that is going to be a very small amount of fans who decide not to go to a concert because they can watch it online instead.

Bingo. Live clips are no substitute for the live experience. By the same logic, people would skip live shows if they have the songs on a live DVD already. Live clips are like a trailer for the live show at best. If a band is sounding especially good, it pumps you up to go and see them, and if they suck, well you deserve to know what you're getting in advance.
For the record, I've never once taken a photo at a concert, and never used a phone at a concert at all (incidentally except the last DT show, but I wasn't with the crowd anyway), but I've never had any issue with other people taking photos/videos at a concert disturbing me. It's the guys getting into the show a little too much, headbanging and moving around that disturb me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ad78

« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2016, 01:23:46 AM »
Dream theater is a very different from all other performing on stage. They want to be more precise on what they do. Most of the people taking pictures tend to put flash..

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2016, 01:58:23 AM »
I guess you had to be there it was bad. No fan should be treated like I saw.

This, seriously. It was the fucking Stasi walking down the aisles, reporting any un-kosher movement.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2016, 03:45:32 AM »

I agree with this. There seems to be a sense of entitlement in the situation here, like "I paid for the show, I can do anything I want!". It's really not a big deal to not use your phone / camera during the concert. If the staff is harsh about it especially, it's best to just relax and enjoy the performance, which I certainly did, helped by the fact that my view wasn't obstructed by someone recording the show unlike in 2014 (it didn't help that I'm around 5'5" and couldn't reach above them, so I basically couldn't see the band apart from occasional glances and on the screen).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2016, 04:35:04 AM »

Good. That has to be frustrating to be performing and look out and see so many people playing with their phones instead of focusing on the show.  Now, it's true that you cannot force fans to focus solely on you, but by not allowing phones and cameras, it takes away a big distraction and makes it far more likely that those fans will be more focused on the show. Bravo to the band. :tup :tup

Kev, I did see that tour with Night Ranger!!! :lol

No kidding!!  They opened and closed with We Built This City! :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2016, 04:56:06 AM »
The next thing you know, they'll ban smoking at events...............
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2016, 05:15:29 AM »
The customers should be given some credit to be honest. Sure there's going to be some oddballs who rather 'play on their phone' than pay attention to the show, but it's very obvious that the majority of people are using camera's or phones at a live show to just capture one or two pics and maybe a short video.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the rule, but if DT were actually the ones to enforce this rule (which seems to NOT be the case here, I think it's being enforced by the venues), it would probably not be a vert smart move by them. You'd be surprised how much exposure bands get from pics and videos that people share online through facebook, instagram, reddit and the like.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2016, 06:17:10 AM »
Dream Theater doesn't follow the rules, their music breaks the rules and I'm sure I am not alone in liking that about them, yet here they are now enforcing extra rules at a live concert that only inhibits fan fun. They are acting like ornery old men "damn kids these days with their cell phones!" It's just a turn off altogether and I do not respect their wishes over these rules. It is a fact that many fans have alienated themselves from DT especially after this latest release and this lame crap that is happening now isn't gaining them any popularity or helping sell more tickets. Not one of my friends wanted to go to this show so it was just me and my woman but I am glad because they would have all been pissed if they did go.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2016, 07:00:37 AM »
Dream Theater doesn't follow the rules, their music breaks the rules and I'm sure I am not alone in liking that about them, yet here they are now enforcing extra rules at a live concert that only inhibits fan fun. They are acting like ornery old men "damn kids these days with their cell phones!" It's just a turn off altogether and I do not respect their wishes over these rules. It is a fact that many fans have alienated themselves from DT especially after this latest release and this lame crap that is happening now isn't gaining them any popularity or helping sell more tickets. Not one of my friends wanted to go to this show so it was just me and my woman but I am glad because they would have all been pissed if they did go.

Can you prove that this rule is costing them ticket sales?

I'll hang up and listen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2016, 07:02:32 AM »

Kev, I did see that tour with Night Ranger!!! :lol

No kidding!!  They opened and closed with We Built This City! :lol

Woah. :lol :lol

It must have taken balls the size of church bells to admit that. :P :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2016, 07:04:33 AM »

I was there for Night Ranger.  I SWEAR!! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2016, 07:07:47 AM »
I really want to believe you. :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2016, 07:20:34 AM »
Lol

They actually were good. Hearing the late 70's early 80's were cool like Jane & Find Your Way Back.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2016, 07:44:03 AM »

Can you prove that this rule is costing them ticket sales?

I'll hang up and listen.

Don't you think people taking pics and posting them on facebook saying how awesome it is will boost ticket sales and interest in the band or do you think people bitching on facebook will motivate ticket sales? Just do a little searching through the Dream Theater posts in FB land and you can see more than plenty of people complaining and expressing disappointment as well as selling off their tickets. I also witnessed many people leave before the first intermission and heard lots of complaining about the "rules" at the show. Many people purchased their tickets including me before this album was released and prior to finding out about no cameras, no standing rules. If I had known, heard the album and read the reviews I probably would not have gone myself either as this last show had no crowd energy at all until the last two songs. I certainly wouldn't have purchased the VIP package either like I did and would have had a better time watching it on a DVD at some point in time. You need proof? Well let's start right here, I will not be buying VIP tickets again or purchasing premium seats again after this experience. I know I'm not the only one and all of my friends who like DT are expressing disinterest in the band altogether unfortunately.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2016, 07:55:37 AM »
Sounds like that has more to do with some not being wild about TA than it does some being sissy girls because the band won't let you play on your phone the whole time at one of their shows. ;)

As much as I like TA, there are definitely a lot of fans who aren't as crazy about it, and I think the nature of that type of concert - playing NO older material and it being more of a seated than standing concert - could definitely hurt them.  If this album had gone over with the fan base as a whole like Scenes did for example, I can guarantee you that very few fans would really care about the no phones/cameras thing (except the FB dopes who love to go on social media and complain about anything), but to those people who aren't wild about TA, the no phones/cameras thing is like kicking them while they are down, metaphorically speaking.