Author Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no cameras" rule?  (Read 25140 times)

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
Re: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no cameras" rule?
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2016, 07:33:21 AM »
Absolutely ridiculous! We are in an age of technology, any douche can sneak in a go-pro and bootleg the entire show. Why not embrace technology and let your fans take a few pix as memorabilia? All they will do is post it all over social media and help publicize your band! Would they be afraid of their hair being messed up in a picture? It's sad that you have people policing the venue and throwing people out or trying to take their possessions over being a fan and trying to capture a moment in time that means something to you. When i saw DT for the SFAM tour at the Oakdale I brought a camera, took a few pix and some guy working there ripped it out of my hands and told me I had a choice, I could leave or he was taking the camera. I've been irked by going to a show to cut loose a little and enjoy a band I help support only to have to obey rules, no cameras, stay seated, be a good boy.  :tdwn

I seriously doubt DT cares about their hair being messed up. :lol :lol

Just because you bought a ticket to the show doesn't give you the right to take any picture or video you want at it. 

I get that we live in an age now where many think they are entitled to do whatever they want, when they want, rules be damned, but if the band asks for no cameras or anything, isn't it basically giving them the middle finger to ignore the request and do it anyway?

Call me crazy, but my great memories of the many concerts I have seen are all in my head, and that's good enough for me. :hat

I never said that because I bought a ticket it gives me the right to film, I just think it's ridiculous that they are so strict about it. These are your fans here and not trying to do anything other than show their love for the band. There is definitely a weird vibe for me from DT on this tour, something I've never experienced from them after seeing them so many times over the years. The whole strict no camera, no standing rules and minimal crowd engagement was a turn off for me.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2016, 07:52:03 AM »
Not sure why is there any complaining. Rules are rules, and whether they are rolled out by the band or the venue, you must respect them.

So what? That doesn't change what people are saying about the rules or the reasons why people say they should or shouldn't exist. All it offers to the discussion is 1) to state that, yes, the rule people are discussing is, in fact, a rule, & 2) to imply a vague guilt-by-association to those who disagree with it (i.e. to hint that people who disagree with the rules & people who break the rules are one in the same). It offers nothing to the discussion & is ultimately a null point.

Agreed.  We aren't encouraging to break the rules here, just discussing the rule which while may have existed before, has never been enforced in this way before so it's worth discussing with the fans IMO.

Some people in this thread are acting like they are entitled to film/take pics/etc. because they bought a ticket and are claiming that is ludicrous that DT/venue are enforcing the rules that are/were set before. I really don't see the need to discuss/argue/etc. Does the band benefit from pics at concerts? Maybe...maybe not, but that's their prerogative and there's nothing you can do about it. Complaining in this message board is not going to get you anywhere either. The band/venue will still enforce the rules if they want to, whether they have done it before or not. When you buy a ticket, you agree to a contract. All those small letters behind the ticket? that's the contract. Send DT's management an email and maybe if they get enough complaints, they might change their stance a bit. But I do understand why they are doing this in this tour. I mean, that's what The Astonishing is about...people don't have enough time for music, you should enjoy it to the full extent (in a away, immersing into the experience of listening to an album). One way to enjoy it is to put the cell phone away. It's also probably one of the reasons DT chose seated venues.

I really cant' add anything else to this discussion/disagreement. I mean, I see it like bosk1. I do really think it's a black or white issue. Not something in between. Keep in mind that MP was more friendly towards this kinds of things (pics in concerts, bootlegs, etc..) but everybody else wasn't and maybe this is one of the main reasons that the pic rule is being enforced more. JLB, JP and JR have discussed this before and are against bootlegging (which may or may not include pics, youtube vids, etc...). Not sure what JM's or MM's stand is on this. 

EDIT: I agree on the no camera rule  :rollin

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »
In seated shows (a play, film, musical, concert, whatever) I can definitely be bothered by people constantly using a camera/phone/tablet. At regular shows, however, I think it is ok. In fact, I love watching bootlegs and yt bits of my favourite artists. And making audio recordings should always be allowed in my opinion.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2016, 09:10:56 AM »
I will say this. I usually take a couple pics and vids of bands. But usually they don't care and the venues I attend could care less about phones, but actual cameras they do.

Now for this DT show, I'll be too immersed in the show to be taking any pics or vids. I don't want to miss a second of it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Do you agree or disagree with the new "no CAMERAS" rule?
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2016, 09:41:32 AM »
                                                                                                 ^^^
They are not all crappy.

Yes they are.  :lol

You just can't capture the sound of a concert authentically with a phone.

If I may point to one of my recently recorded videos as a counter-example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4d0GB26Bds
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2016, 10:22:05 AM »
It's a stupid rule that can't be enforced.  I really don't need pics and videos at any show, but you can't stop everybody from doing it.  They are buying the albums and tickets to the shows.  Bands should just let them do their thing.  Everyone and their dog has a camera with them everywhere they go.  Welcome to the 21st century.  :p

But it is being enforced. That's what people have a problem with.

No it isn't.  They're trying to enforce it and it isn't working.  Therefore, it can't be enforced.  It's ridiculous to think that people will not bring their cell phones to a concert and when they do, then actually not use them.  An exercise in complete futility.  The only way to enforce the rule is to take everyone's cell phones at the door before they enter and that's never gonna happen.  Can't be done.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2016, 10:38:28 AM »

Huh. That sounds pretty good actually. Still, the majority of videos recorded on phone are going to not sound good.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2016, 10:39:29 AM »
Actually, I've heard this for decades at concerts.  DT never stopped you from taking pics.  This was the first show for me in 15 years they didn't allow it.  The security took it a whole next step and wouldn't allow us to use our phone before the show and during the intermission unless you left the seated area.  That was really off putting.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »
It is usually done in theater productions. Maybe people who are just used to watching rock concerts are not used to this rule.

DT must be frustrated. They have adjusted to the realities of music piracy by basically releasing their last two albums for free on their official Youtube channel. And now they are being asked to give in once again "hey let us video your whole show for free also. It's today's reality!"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2016, 11:01:15 AM »
I guess people are just that attached to their phones. Can't even leave it alone for a couple hours.

I'm actually interested in seeing a show without a ton of phones in the air. It's like the older days without phones, and the only way to get video or sound is to bring expensive equipment with you.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2016, 11:38:29 AM »
DT must be frustrated. They have adjusted to the realities of music piracy by basically releasing their last two albums for free on their official Youtube channel. And now they are being asked to give in once again "hey let us video your whole show for free also. It's today's reality!"

I don't understand why they would be frustrated with people wanting to enjoy the concerts and share their fun with friends.  But to each their own.

It is usually done in theater productions. Maybe people who are just used to watching rock concerts are not used to this rule.

This is the way I feel about it.  It seems this is more so because of the setting and way the band is presenting the album. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
I guess people are just that attached to their phones. Can't even leave it alone for a couple hours.

A lot of people use their phones to share online that they're attending a DT show. I think I have done so for the last 10 concerts I have gone to. Except this one, no one learned of it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2016, 11:56:01 AM »
I'm important dammit! :lol

Like I've said before, it's nice to share with others a few pics of the band. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2016, 11:57:40 AM »
Or just communicate with your friend, "hey I'm at the bathroom, need me to grab you a drink on my way back to the seats?"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
I did do that with Rumbo.

"These Ushers are unreal"! :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2016, 12:44:14 PM »
I just came here to say that cellphones should have a 'low disturbance' camera mode. Have it more or less black out your entire screen except for a little square in the corner displaying what you're taking a picture of. No need to have a 5' viewfinder at a concert. You'd be able to tell via the thumbnail whether or not you were aimed at the stage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2016, 01:13:33 PM »
I just came here to say that cellphones should have a 'low disturbance' camera mode. Have it more or less black out your entire screen except for a little square in the corner displaying what you're taking a picture of. No need to have a 5' viewfinder at a concert. You'd be able to tell via the thumbnail whether or not you were aimed at the stage.

Dimming the screen to the fullest helps, this is what I do.  Your idea is not bad at all though.

The only way to enforce the rule is to take everyone's cell phones at the door before they enter and that's never gonna happen.  Can't be done.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-dave-chappelle-is-creating-844886

It actually can happen.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »
And then the first audience member is missing a life-or-death call, and that's over.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »
And then the first audience member is missing a life-or-death call, and that's over.

That's how it was before cell phones, sadly.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2016, 02:08:48 PM »
Imagine not being able to bring your music everywhere you go?  I remember those days.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2016, 03:17:11 PM »
                                                                                                 ^^^
They are not all crappy.

I case you didn't notice, I wasn't quoting him to agree with him, I put three arrows (^) above the quote pointing to the word "cameras" in the thread title.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2016, 03:25:44 PM »
Depends on the camera and the sound at the venue as to whether or not you get a good audio clip, but it's totally possible.  I have quite a few that sounds amazing and quite a few that sound terrible, but most are in between.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2016, 03:39:46 PM »
Depends on the camera and the sound at the venue as to whether or not you get a good audio clip, but it's totally possible.  I have quite a few that sounds amazing and quite a few that sound terrible, but most are in between.

Yeah, it's just a matter that not all cameras are phones. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »
Yeah, except we weren't allowed to use our cell phone at all even if no one was on stage. So your post is irrelevant.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
I'm also specifically talking about cameras on phones with regards to this discussion when I say camera. 

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
                                                                                                 ^^^
They are not all crappy.

This footage is so crappy I can't even identify the song. By the length I would say Moment Of Betrayal, but I really can't tell.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2016, 04:09:39 PM »
Yeah, except we weren't allowed to use our cell phone at all even if no one was on stage. So your post is irrelevant.
>"You just can't capture the sound of a concert authentically with a phone."
>"He wasn't specifically talking about phones."
>Irrelevant

wut?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »
Since you don't read the whole thread let me enlighten you. My title was different from what it is now. If you read every post you would see Rich the mod stated that he changed it.

Do your homework.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2016, 04:32:15 PM »
Since you don't read the whole thread let me enlighten you. My title was different from what it is now. If you read every post you would see Rich the mod stated that he changed it.

Do your homework.

tbh I kind of looked past the change in title, but it doesn't change the fact that many people use their phones to record videos with bad sound quality.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »

I don't understand why they would be frustrated with people wanting to enjoy the concerts and share their fun with friends.  But to each their own.

If you are a band whose album sales are not really giving you enough for a living because of music piracy, and you are mostly reliant on touring for your living. Would you want people getting high quality vids of your shows, or worst case livestreaming the shows, and letting other people watch the shows for free online? I have seen livestreams of other artists online and it sucks for the artist, especially when I see how many people watch the livestream (usually more than those in live attendance).

Yes, some are just sharing them to a limited circle of friends. But DT and management can not really separate people who do limited sharing and those who don't. All they see are cameras. The best way is to just ban any form of recording.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2016, 04:51:05 PM »

Do your homework.

woh, so edjy

Seriously though, I did read the full thread, it's just that 1) iirc, DT's policy covers cameras as well as phones (hence people talking about professional photographers earlier), 2) the title change was before red barchetta made his post, so I figured he was talking about cameras in general, since that's what the thread had already opened up to at that point, & 3) this was more to point out his generalisation, as it brings up another aspect of the rule he hadn't (appeared to have) considered.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2016, 04:52:54 PM »
I guess you had to be there it was bad. No fan should be treated like I saw.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »
I guess you had to be there it was bad. No fan should be treated like I saw.

Don't get me wrong, I'm generally against the rule too, I just don't think camera quality is the most of its concerns.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2016, 05:09:51 PM »
Well I just wanted a few pictures but when you are told you can't even pull out your cell phone before the show starts and threatened to be thrown out the first time it passes you off as a fan.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2016, 05:30:56 PM »
Well I just wanted a few pictures but when you are told you can't even pull out your cell phone before the show starts and threatened to be thrown out the first time it passes you off as a fan.

How will the marshals distinguish among the hundreds of people those who just want to take some pics from those who is videoing the whole thing?