Author Topic: Hello from a completely new Dream Theater fan!  (Read 8545 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Hello from a completely new Dream Theater fan!
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 08:51:45 AM »
If you want to test your tolerance for long songs try Six Degrees, it's 6 songs across 2 discs.  :biggrin:

You have to be kidding me. 42 fricking minutes? No thanks. I'd reather listen to Wait for sleep 21 times.  :metal

Think of it as a mini DT album.  The song is divided into 8 tracks and try to remember that length is unimportant.  It's the quality of music that counts.  SDOIT is the pinnacle of DT's catalog.  It really doesn't get any better.  Worth the investment.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
Scar, even though Breaking All Illusions is over 10 minutes long, this song has all that is great about DT.  Great lyrics, killer guitar solo and just enough of those crazy time changes to make it interesting.

With the forum name Scar, it will be interesting what you think of the Awake song Scarred.

Also, since you like short songs, you make like most of the new double cd.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »
I'd check out Falling Into Infinity next followed by A Dramatic Turn of Events and lastly the self-titled.  From there, I'd go to Awake then either Scenes From A Memory or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

My DT Mt. Rushmore is Awake/Images & Words/Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/Scenes From A Memory

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »
If you want to test your tolerance for long songs try Six Degrees, it's 6 songs across 2 discs.  :biggrin:

You have to be kidding me. 42 fricking minutes? No thanks. I'd reather listen to Wait for sleep 21 times.  :metal

Think of it as a mini DT album.  The song is divided into 8 tracks and try to remember that length is unimportant.  It's the quality of music that counts.  SDOIT is the pinnacle of DT's catalog.  It really doesn't get any better.  Worth the investment.  :tup

Yeah it's true. I prefer strong quality over loose quantity. Thank you. I will check it out when I get to the album, thank you once more!

Scar, even though Breaking All Illusions is over 10 minutes long, this song has all that is great about DT.  Great lyrics, killer guitar solo and just enough of those crazy time changes to make it interesting.

With the forum name Scar, it will be interesting what you think of the Awake song Scarred.

Also, since you like short songs, you make like most of the new double cd.

Thank you! Breaking All Illusions? What album is that from? And Awake Scarred? I guess we'll have to see when I get to that album. ;)

I'd check out Falling Into Infinity next followed by A Dramatic Turn of Events and lastly the self-titled.  From there, I'd go to Awake then either Scenes From A Memory or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

My DT Mt. Rushmore is Awake/Images & Words/Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/Scenes From A Memory

Oh, I already listened to their Self titled yesterday. I'll check out Falling Into Infinity for the next album. Thanks!  :metal
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Calvin6s

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2016, 01:21:58 PM »
What are your favorite songs off the self-titled album?

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 01:33:51 PM »
Hard one.
1. The Looking Glass
2. Behind The Veil
3. Along for the Ride
4. Illumination Theory
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Calvin6s

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »
Also, what are your least favorite off the self-titled?

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »
you'll quickly notice that DT fans have diverse opinions of what you should listen to next!     However, the guy who suggested Scenes From A Memory makes a great suggestion.  It's not my favorite DT album  (Awake is) but it's a great intro for a DT fan.  Great songs, great story, great playing....

My personal suggestion is to NOT listen to The Astonishing until you have gotten through everything else.

Welcome!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2016, 02:23:41 PM »
Also, what are your least favorite off the self-titled?
Surrender to Reason, definitely. I didn't enjoy it at all, especially that totally random guitar solo :/
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2016, 02:24:27 PM »
you'll quickly notice that DT fans have diverse opinions of what you should listen to next!     However, the guy who suggested Scenes From A Memory makes a great suggestion.  It's not my favorite DT album  (Awake is) but it's a great intro for a DT fan.  Great songs, great story, great playing....

My personal suggestion is to NOT listen to The Astonishing until you have gotten through everything else.

Welcome!
Definitely! Opinion is what makes each person unique. And thank you! Will do.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Online mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2016, 05:22:46 PM »
Thank you! Breaking All Illusions? What album is that from? And Awake Scarred? I guess we'll have to see when I get to that album. ;)

Hello again Scar.  Breaking All Illusions is from the CD A Dramatic Turn of Events, the first album with the Mike Mangini, the drummer that replace Mike Portnoy.  BAI is a fan favorite and I am told plays well in concerts.   You may also like This is the Life from this album.

Happy listening.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2016, 11:24:46 PM »
I really think you'll enjoy Disappear, And Goodnight Kiss from 6DOIT. The song 6DOIT, I would suggest listening as if it's an album on its own.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2016, 11:35:12 PM »
Hard one.
1. The Looking Glass
2. Behind The Veil
3. Along for the Ride
4. Illumination Theory

Based on this ranking, STR being your least liked in the self titled, and how you scored the songs in I&W, I have a suggestion that some would find surprising but I think would work for you.

Listen to The Astonishing. Now.

It is a 2 hours and 20 miniute-musical, but I think it would really work for you. Trust me.

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2016, 05:43:17 AM »
Thank you guys. :)
I had a quick listen to their self titled album just now and:
O.o
Wow.

Only thing I could say right now. And 425, its not that I don't enjoy long songs, it just takes a lot to get used to them. I guess I could start getting used to it because illumination theory was...not bad.

Its currently ranked 4th place during the first listen.

Listen to A Dramatic Turn of Events. If you like I&W and liked the self-titled , then ADTOE is the place to go next. Especially Breaking All Illusions

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »
Thanks guys! So I have three suggestions so far:

1) Falling into infinity
2) A Dramatic Turn of Events
3) The Astonishing

What do you guys recommend? Sorry, it's hard to choose DX
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2016, 04:26:36 PM »
The Astonishing. Trust me. The whole album is uploaded in the official YT channel of the band so you can check it out. Get the track list first then listen to the first sizable chunk of songs:

Descent of the NOMACS (you can skip)
Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
The Answer
A Better Life
Lord Nafaryus

Just try those songs out for free in the DT official Youtube channel. If you like it, then you can check out the rest of the album.

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2016, 10:34:10 PM »

1) Falling into infinity
3) The Astonishing

1) Falling into Infinity is not an album that would further add to you positive impression of DT, so I would omit that

3) The Astonishing is a fantastic album, but it requires multiple listens before you can fully appreciate it. Plus it is long, really long. I would wait with TA for the moment

2) A Dramatic turn of Events. This album was for me the return to Images and Words but with a fresher, updated sound. It is a great album, well balanced. I strongly recommend this one.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2016, 10:47:38 PM »

1) Falling into infinity
3) The Astonishing

1) Falling into Infinity is not an album that would further add to you positive impression of DT, so I would omit that

3) The Astonishing is a fantastic album, but it requires multiple listens before you can fully appreciate it. Plus it is long, really long. I would wait with TA for the moment

2) A Dramatic turn of Events. This album was for me the return to Images and Words but with a fresher, updated sound. It is a great album, well balanced. I strongly recommend this one.

But look at Scar's current appreciation of individual songs. His most liked so far are:

The Looking Glass - 10
Wait for Sleep - 10
Behind the Veil - 9..5
Another Day - 9.5
Take the Time - 8.5
Along for the Ride - 8.5

His least liked are:

Surrender to Reason - 1
Enigma Machine - 3
The Enemy Inside -5
Learning to Live - 5
Metropolis Pt. 1 - 5.5

Which is why I guess FII and TA would actually work better for Scar. :)

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2016, 11:10:55 PM »
Hey welcome aboard Scar!  I haven't been on here in awhile, but I'm sure you'll love the forum.  There's lots of great people and very interesting conversations.

You've got a lot of good suggestions and a gold mine of music to listen to.  I agree with Roedent; "dive in!"  It's all good!

My 2 cents though.. Dream Theater really introduced me to Haken, Yes, Rush etc..  I'm thinking if you like those bands, and with the songs you listed that have struck a chord, then I would suggest:  A Dramatic Turn of Events, Falling Into Infinity and Octavarium. 

Of course going with The Astonishing you'll have a better understanding of a lot of the current threads and have more to share.  My suggestion for this album is play it all the way through in one sitting like you're watching a movie.  ... Better yet go see it in concert if you can.  If that would be your first listen that would be epic!   :metal

Once again, welcome!

Signature

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2016, 11:11:38 PM »
Learning to Live - 5
Metropolis Pt. 1 - 5.5

You won't get a "new DT fan" card this way  :police:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:57:34 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2016, 11:19:23 PM »
Thank you guys so much! I decided to try out A Dramatic Turn of Events, only because their single On the Backs of Angels blew me away. Reminded me of pull me under a lot!
I'll give it a listen tomorrow and give you guys the detail on how I enjoyed it.
I wanna try The Astonishing when I have the time to sit and relax. Thank you!
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2016, 03:24:36 AM »

1) Falling into infinity
3) The Astonishing

But look at Scar's current appreciation of individual songs. His most liked so far are:

The Looking Glass - 10
Wait for Sleep - 10
Behind the Veil - 9..5
Another Day - 9.5
Take the Time - 8.5
Along for the Ride - 8.5

His least liked are:

Surrender to Reason - 1
Enigma Machine - 3
The Enemy Inside -5
Learning to Live - 5
Metropolis Pt. 1 - 5.5

Which is why I guess FII and TA would actually work better for Scar. :)

I see your point. But ADTOE has songs that are similar in style to those on DT12. So does TA, but it is a heavy album not so much in terms of music, but the patience it takes to absorb

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2016, 03:26:27 AM »
Octavarium is an underrated album as well that is easy to listen through. So much praise goes into the title track that the other songs kind of fall into the background. It is a great album

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2016, 03:31:47 AM »
I see your point. But ADTOE has songs that are similar in style to those on DT12. So does TA, but it is a heavy album not so much in terms of music, but the patience it takes to absorb

He could listen to one disc, take a break, then listen to the other disc so it's like absorbing two albums.

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2016, 05:08:04 AM »

He could listen to one disc, take a break, then listen to the other disc so it's like absorbing two albums.

He could. That is what I did. Listened to act 1 a few times before moving on to Act 2.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »
Hey guys, so I finished listening to A Dramatic Turn of Events and I loved it! The only problem with it was the snare, or the drum in general. I did not like that clunky sound. Besides that, I was blown away.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Bill

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2016, 02:09:56 PM »
TA changed my life 4 months ago. First DT album I ever heard. Although it's long, I found it really easy to get into. Very accessible, very melodic, no dips, it's consistently excellent. I have listened to and more or less studied four more DT albums since. Can't believe I have not followed this band for the last 30 years! Currently reading the authorised biography. So, TA, the way to go next!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2016, 03:52:03 PM »
Very accessible, very melodic, no dips, it's consistently excellent.

Completely agree! :tup

AotY so far, I think. Other contenders are Myrath's 'Legacy' and Rhapsody of Fire's 'Into the Legend'.

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »
Hey guys, so I finished listening to A Dramatic Turn of Events and I loved it! The only problem with it was the snare, or the drum in general. I did not like that clunky sound. Besides that, I was blown away.

Glad you liked it. What were your most and least  favourite songs ?

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2016, 11:33:55 PM »
I had four favorite songs that were over the top and two "meh" songs.

1) Far From Heaven
2) Breaking All Illusions (shocking right)
3) Build Me Up, Break Me Down
4) This is the Life

1) Outcry
2) Bridges in the Sky

:)
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2016, 04:57:23 AM »

1) Far From Heaven
4) This is the Life

1) Outcry
2) Bridges in the Sky

I think you and me are in the minority to like build me up break me down. Breaking all illusions is an all time DT top 3 for me. This is the life and far from heaven are both beautiful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »
Welcome!

Even though the quality of every DT album definitely varies, there is something to like about each one.

Just be forewarned that when you get to Awake, you will be listening to their best record. :metal

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2016, 06:17:03 PM »

1) Far From Heaven
4) This is the Life

1) Outcry
2) Bridges in the Sky

With these preferences, now I am really curious how you would rate The Astonishing.  :tup

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2016, 07:00:04 PM »
I'm going to take in my last three albums (Images and Words, Self Titled, and A Dramatic Turn of Events) and I'll probably listen to The Astonishing's Disc 1 next weekish.

And KevShmev, I can't wait for Awake then, I guess! I hope it will blow me away!

And Lalin, Build me Up is a really catchy and deep song. I don't know who would dislike that and why they would dislike that :)
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2016, 08:22:10 PM »
Awake is amazing. It was my favorite for the longest time before The Astonishing came along. You do have to be in that 1990s angsty mindset because that is the mood of that album. As a 1990s kid, I really am perfect for that album.  :lol