Author Topic: Hello from a completely new Dream Theater fan!  (Read 8598 times)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
Hello from a completely new Dream Theater fan!
« on: April 19, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »
Greetings y'all.
I came from prog archives and I stumbled upon Dream Theater completely by chance. Some nice individual decided to make a poll: The Dream Theater Might Win Poll and Dream Theater had a lot of votes.

A very nice person told explained to me why they named the title like that and told me that Dream Theater is one of the best, if not the best progressive rock bands around. Now, I've heard of Dream Theater, but never ever listened to any of their songs until just five days ago. I was looking for some good guitar solo's and for some reason, Under A Glass Moon by Dream Theater kept popping up. The first result was the lyrics and the second result was this forum, so I decided to click on it.

I was amazed to see this site and I decided to join. Now, I'm a very huge Yes, Rush, Kansas, and Haken fan and only listen to their music, but after Dream Theater was suggested, I have only listened to Dream Theater's album Images and Words only once, and I loved it very much.

So yeah. That's a little background and I can't wait to let this band grow on me. I heard that this band has 13 albums and I'm not sure which one I should listen to next. Suggestions?

And thank you.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Hello from a completely new Dream Theater fan!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:30:20 PM »
Welcome, Scar.  I truly love all of their albums, so you really cannot go wrong.  Based on what you said you like, I might recommend the following:

1.  Scenes From A Memory:  A concept album based upon some of the musical themes in the song Metropolis, pt. 1 from Images & Words. 

2.  A Dramatic Turn of Events:  Their first album with Mike Mangini on drums.  The band sounds more "modern" and "up to date," and their songwriting has matured and become more refined, but this album still manages to evoke a lot of similar sounds as Images & Words.

3.  The Astonishing:  Do not do this one next after only Images & Words.  It is different, even for Dream Theater.  It is a VERY long rock opera that is very complex, but may be a bit offputting to a newer fan.  Still, in many respects, the sound is not drastically different than some of the other bands you mentioned.

4.  Dream Theater (self titled):  Overall, this album has shorter, more traditional song structures than a lot of Dream Theater's other albums (except for the long epic at the end of the album), while still somehow retaining that signature DT complexity.

Hope that helps. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 04:32:32 PM »
Welcome to the forums and to the fandom! You're in for quite the adventure with this band. They have a very diverse musical pallet and rich history. This community is extremely helpful if you have any questions so don't be afraid to ask. You made a great choice in deciding to get into this band and I guarantee you'll be a die hard fan very soon. Once again, welcome and enjoy the wonderful music that is Dream Theater.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Calvin6s

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 04:33:18 PM »
If you liked Images and Words, then I'd say go with Awake and Scenes from a Memory next.  My favorite DT album is Awake, but it really depends on what the listener is looking for.  Especially with the mixed bag prog brings.

If you like Yes, Rush, Kansas - you should check out TransAtlantic and Liquid Tension Experiment (bands, not albums).  TransAtlantic is more prog rock than prog metal.  Liquid Tension Experiment moves more into the Steve Morse and Kansas spectrum, but it is all instrumental.

Welcome to the forum.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 04:42:46 PM »
Thank you all for your responses!  :laugh:

Welcome, Scar.  I truly love all of their albums, so you really cannot go wrong.  Based on what you said you like, I might recommend the following:

1.  Scenes From A Memory:  A concept album based upon some of the musical themes in the song Metropolis, pt. 1 from Images & Words. 

2.  A Dramatic Turn of Events:  Their first album with Mike Mangini on drums.  The band sounds more "modern" and "up to date," and their songwriting has matured and become more refined, but this album still manages to evoke a lot of similar sounds as Images & Words.

3.  The Astonishing:  Do not do this one next after only Images & Words.  It is different, even for Dream Theater.  It is a VERY long rock opera that is very complex, but may be a bit offputting to a newer fan.  Still, in many respects, the sound is not drastically different than some of the other bands you mentioned.

4.  Dream Theater (self titled):  Overall, this album has shorter, more traditional song structures than a lot of Dream Theater's other albums (except for the long epic at the end of the album), while still somehow retaining that signature DT complexity.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! It helped a lot! Just by reading your recommendations, I think I want to go with the fourth choice, their self titled album. For the concept album and rock opera, I think those could wait. They don't seem very interesting right now. I don't know what is up about their self titled album, but from what you wrote, I'll give that a shot next.

Welcome to the forums and to the fandom! You're in for quite the adventure with this band. They have a very diverse musical pallet and rich history. This community is extremely helpful if you have any questions so don't be afraid to ask. You made a great choice in deciding to get into this band and I guarantee you'll be a die hard fan very soon. Once again, welcome and enjoy the wonderful music that is Dream Theater.

Thank you very much! I can't wait for an adventure! Every single band led me on an adventure. Haken and Yes gave me the most impression. Once again, thank you! Images and Words was a really powerful album, I loved it too much. I really liked Images and Words just as much as I liked Yes' "Close to the Edge." That was a really fine album.

If you liked Images and Words, then I'd say go with Awake and Scenes from a Memory next.  My favorite DT album is Awake, but it really depends on what the listener is looking for.  Especially with the mixed bag prog brings.

If you like Yes, Rush, Kansas - you should check out TransAtlantic and Liquid Tension Experiment (bands, not albums).  TransAtlantic is more prog rock than prog metal.  Liquid Tension Experiment moves more into the Steve Morse and Kansas spectrum, but it is all instrumental.

Welcome to the forum.

Ah, Awake or Scenes from a Memory? I'll try those albums next, after their self titled. The thing is that I only listened to Images and Words once, so I can't really say how much I liked it, but it gave me an extremely strong, strong impression. I better start listening to it more and more. May I have your opinion on something? Should I listen to an album until I like know 100% of the songs and work my way up or should I jump albums and keep on listening to all of them randomly? Thank you!
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline 425

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 04:48:48 PM »
Welcome! You're at the start of a great journey. I remember when I was in your place just a few years ago.

Here's what I wrote before bosk's post and your reply:

Quote from: 425
Images and Words is considered one of their best two or three albums by the majority of fans. In my book, it's their best album, and one of my favorite albums of all time, so you picked a good place to start. There are several different ways you could go from here, I'll try to explain some of them:

Awake is a one that a lot of people will recommend you go to next, and I would be hard pressed to disagree with them. It's the only other album from the exact same lineup that made Images and Words. It is a noticeably heavier album than Images, and is in fact one of the band's heaviest records. It's nothing too heavy, usually not significantly heavier than the heaviest parts of Aquarius, but that is something to know, especially since it seems like you're more of a prog fan than a metal fan.

Metropolis, Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory is another good place to go next. It has mostly the same lineup as Images, with the only change being that the keyboard player is current keyboardist Jordan Rudess, not Kevin Moore from Images and Words. It's also one of the more similar albums to Images and Words, though not to the point of being identical—there are plenty of new elements in Scenes from a Memory. It is also a concept album, and the "sequel" to the song Metropolis, Pt. 1, so some of the themes from that song are reprised on the album.

Those are probably the two albums I would look to next. They're among the band's best albums, and they will give you an idea of their range. I suppose if you're looking for an album that is stylistically really similar to Images and Words, you could go for A Dramatic Turn of Events, but I would recommend getting Awake and Scenes from a Memory first.

Once you have those three albums, it's a matter of deciding whether you want to pick and choose albums that fit a certain style, or whether you just like everything and want to get it all. Either way, it's hard not to say that you should look to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence next. It's widely considered their most experimental album and one of their best. Honestly, after getting the big four, I would say to just go through the rest in chronological order. You might skip When Dream and Day Unite—it's a good album, but it has all the marks of a debut record, before the band solidly found its identity (and its permanent lead singer). Good album, and you should at least listen to it at some point, but it's definitely the band in its earlier stages. But aside from that, I think going in chronological order would work. You'll find that opinions vary wildly on pretty much all their albums besides the aforementioned big four, so I think the best thing to do is listen to them all and see for yourself—or, if you like a certain style significantly better (like if you like their softer albums better than their heavier ones), pick and choose according to that style.

But feel free to ignore all that. If Dream Theater is where you want to go next based on bosk's description, I can't really fault you for that. It's a good choice, and it is a good summary of the band's style. Some people aren't big fans of it, but that shouldn't deter you, because it's quite a good album. Personally, like bosk, I love all of their albums, and imagine that you will find something to enjoy in all of them as well.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Again, welcome to DTF!

EDIT: As to the question you asked Calvin6s, I would recommend getting well into each album, one or two at a time, before moving on to the next one. Like a lot of Yes's and Haken's albums, Dream Theater's albums are pretty dense and require a bit of time to really sink in, so they can be overwhelming.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »
I read every single thing. Thank you very much for taking your time writing that for me! I'm sorry for choosing their self titled. If you really want, I could just listen next to either Awake, Metropolis, or A Dramatic Turn of Events!

And I agree about the listening to the albums until I can take it in. Well, I guess I'll have to listen to Images and Words once more! Thank you!
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 05:00:37 PM »
Images, Awake, Scenes and Six Degrees is considered their Big Four albums so, can't go wrong with any of these.

Scenes and Six Degrees though are a bit more demanding than Images though. One is a concept album, other has a 42 minute song. If you want something more straightforward, i recommend A Dramatic Turn of Events.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline 425

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 05:07:13 PM »
I read every single thing. Thank you very much for taking your time writing that for me! I'm sorry for choosing their self titled. If you really want, I could just listen next to either Awake, Metropolis, or A Dramatic Turn of Events!

Oh, go right ahead with the self-titled, if that's the one that makes most sense for what you wanted! It's a good album for sure. None of the four you just named would be a bad choice, really.
And if spirit's a sign,

Calvin6s

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 05:23:23 PM »
Ah, Awake or Scenes from a Memory? I'll try those albums next, after their self titled.
As 425 said, Awake is a bit heavier.  That probably centers mostly around the song The Mirror.  But as 425 also said, it is the same lineup as the Images and Words album, so you will probably find more of what you loved in Images and Words on Awake than any other DT album.

Scenes from a Memory is a concept album, but I believe most of the songs are strong enough to stand on their own.

May I have your opinion on something? Should I listen to an album until I like know 100% of the songs and work my way up or should I jump albums and keep on listening to all of them randomly? Thank you!

I'd offer you the advice on how I approach all music.  Don't force it.  If an album (or song) doesn't excite you after the first listen, temporarily move on.  It isn't like a test where you have to understand A to get to B.  A song should be able to grab you whether it is the 1st song you've heard in your life or the 100,000th.  If tracks 1, 4 and 8 seem like masterpieces and the rest are just ok, then enjoy those 3 tracks.  Come back to the other tracks at a later date.  Perhaps after you've found 2 to 5 tracks you love off each Dream Theater album, you can circle back to the other "growers" as people call them.

Personally, if a band *rocks my world* with even one song, they get quite a few mulligans thereafter before I give up.  I'd probably go get two more DT albums and make a best of from those 3 albums.  Really enjoy ... what you enjoy.

If you want to get more refined recommendations, maybe share which songs you found to be your absolute favorites and try to figure out 2 or 3 elements of that song that you think takes it from good to great.  Then we might be able to decode what DT songs might best speak to you.

Calvin6s

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »
Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say to save A Dramatic Turn of Events for at least purchase number five or six.  I don't want to say why so you can go into it without a negative preconceived notion.  It is the most like Images and Words, but ...

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 05:33:23 PM »
Thank you for your response Calvin6s.  :tup

I will definitely do that. Currently I am listening to Images and Words by Dream Theater while typing this. If I had to list the songs that really hit me the most and made me cry in joy....I'd have to say:

1) Wait For Sleep
2) Another Day
3) Take The Time

I liked Wait For Sleep because the song spoke extremely strongly to me with only a piano and vocals. I don't care if it's short, the lyrics are meaningful and the piano is just super beautiful.

I loved the vocal ranges for Another Day as well as the climax to the solo. The power and emotion the singer puts to this song just makes it all the more better.

Take The Time just because it jumps from aggressive to mellow and bounces around. I love the keyboard solo and the lyrics are crafted extremely well.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Calvin6s

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »
The self-titled album is probably a very good choice for you then. 

I've been listening to DT for quite a long time, so the self-titled one felt like a DT album, but I don't have the benefit of going from Images and Words to self-titled and possibly hearing a dramatic change (different drummer and keyboardist).

Here's the official music video from the self-titled album
The Looking Glass

If you like that, you will almost definitely like the album.  There is another single on that album, The Enemy Inside, but it is kind of the oddball on the CD.  The Looking Glass is a better representation of the rest of the album.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:09:47 PM by Calvin6s »

Calvin6s

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 05:55:34 PM »
Also, here's a list of Dream Theater singles and the corresponding albums
DT Singles

I'm not claiming that these singles are the best of each album (and for me, they definitely are not), but you will probably be able to find official music videos or similar on YouTube or similar sites so you can possibly steer yourself to the album you think speaks most to you.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 05:58:36 PM »
Thank you very much. Will listen to The Looking Glass now.
And you had a fantastic idea. I could listen to all the single's on the site you gave me and the single I enjoyed most, I could start with that. Thank you so very much Calvin6s. Your help is much appreciated!  :tup :tup
-Charles Caleb Colton

Calvin6s

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 06:15:18 PM »
I think the singles course will work well for you.  Especially since Take the Time and Another Day were music videos.

The only caution I would put out is while a single can help you find a DT album you like, I would not use one of the singles to write off a DT album.  I would have never bought DT Awake if all I heard was "The Silent Man", yet it is my favorite album.

Take the Time is one of my favorite Dream Theater tracks, so I feel like Dream Theater will be a great band for you as you enjoy their more commercial stuff as well as their split personality songs like Take the Time.  I would say Take the Time is more reflective of Dream Theater as a whole than Another Day.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 07:40:17 PM »
Hi Calvin6s! I tried out all the singles and I definitely enjoyed "The Looking Glass" out of all of them. It was simple, fun, and catchy! And it sounds so much like...Rush's Limelight!
I was really impressed and yeah. :)
-Charles Caleb Colton

Calvin6s

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 07:59:39 PM »
You are on the path to Dream Theater fandom.  Welcome to the club.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Perfect. Thanks!
I should still stick with Images and Words. For some reason, those long songs aren't meaning anything to me.
The only long song from Kansas that I like is Hymn to the Atman. I prefer shorter, simpler songs.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
Your journey to the DT side is complete.  :itpoe:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 09:14:33 PM »
I know you just said you're not sure about longer songs, but if you want to test your tolerance for long songs try Six Degrees, it's 6 songs across 2 discs.  :biggrin:

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 09:18:59 PM »
Your journey to the DT side is complete.  :itpoe:

My journey may be complete, but now it's time to settle in, facing many obstructions. I am ready for the challenge.  :hat

If you want to test your tolerance for long songs try Six Degrees, it's 6 songs across 2 discs.  :biggrin:

You have to be kidding me. 42 fricking minutes? No thanks. I'd reather listen to Wait for sleep 21 times.  :metal
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 09:19:40 PM »
Although based on some of what you said, you might like The Astonishing, Octavarium or perhaps even Falling into Infinity. While the former might seem a bit intimidating, it doesn't so much have 'songs' in the normal sense but it has 'bits' that are broken up into easier to digest sections. To be fair 6DOIT disc 2 kind of plays out this way too so it can feel a bit like a bunch of smaller songs.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 10:21:24 PM »
Well, if you don't dig long songs, you gonna miss some of their finest stuff  :-\
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:33:51 PM by Outcrier »

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »
Well, if you don't dig long songs, you gonna miss some of their finest stuff  :-\

Very much agree with this.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 11:38:35 PM »
welcome..

just welcome!
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 03:24:01 AM »
Really, you can't fully appreciate DT unless you appreciate the longer songs. That is the very essence of Dream Theater. Yes, they've experimented recently with shorter songs, but the absolute, tip-top, creme de la creme of DT are the epics. You're missing out on a hugely substantial part of their catalogue, and the very best part of their catalogue. Most of them are in shorter sections, so it's not all that different from listening to an album, it's just here that the "songs" (sections) segue into one another without a pause. Much like Wait for Sleep and Learning to Live on I&W.

Personally, I don't believe in all this "You must wait until you're ready before listening to [album]". It's not like it's a rite of passage (no pun intended) or anything. Music is music. Just dive straight in; it won't bite!

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 10:38:19 AM »
Well then, I guess I better get used to it!
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 10:41:55 AM »
those long songs aren't meaning anything to me.
I prefer shorter, simpler songs.

My man.

*brofist*

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2016, 10:52:11 AM »
Welcome, Scar.

If you prefer shorter songs, probably stick to their oldest and newest albums.  That will be your best bet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2016, 10:57:39 AM »
Really, you can't fully appreciate DT unless you appreciate the longer songs. That is the very essence of Dream Theater. Yes, they've experimented recently with shorter songs, but the absolute, tip-top, creme de la creme of DT are the epics. You're missing out on a hugely substantial part of their catalogue, and the very best part of their catalogue. Most of them are in shorter sections, so it's not all that different from listening to an album, it's just here that the "songs" (sections) segue into one another without a pause. Much like Wait for Sleep and Learning to Live on I&W.

Personally, I don't believe in all this "You must wait until you're ready before listening to [album]". It's not like it's a rite of passage (no pun intended) or anything. Music is music. Just dive straight in; it won't bite!

Yeah, agreed with all this. The longer songs may take a few more listens to sink in, just because there's so much more material to them, but they're highly rewarding, really some of the best the band has to offer.

That's not to say that the short ones aren't great, too! I'm always excited to find someone who shares my love for Wait for Sleep, since I think that's a top 10 Dream Theater song.

Just out of curiosity, since you said you like Yes, Rush and Haken, have you just not really enjoyed those bands' longer songs? Because in my opinion (and I think many would agree), some of those bands' longest songs are also among their very best. Like Close to the Edge and The Gates of Delirium from Yes, 2112 and Hemispheres from Rush, and Celestial Elixir and Visions from Haken.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »
Thank you guys. :)
I had a quick listen to their self titled album just now and:
O.o
Wow.

Only thing I could say right now. And 425, its not that I don't enjoy long songs, it just takes a lot to get used to them. I guess I could start getting used to it because illumination theory was...not bad.

Its currently ranked 4th place during the first listen.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 12:18:40 PM »
Scar, one album I highly recommend that was unmentioned here is Octavarium. Plenty of shorter-ish songs, and probably their finest piece of music to date (the title track) to end the record.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
their finest piece of music to date (the title track) to end the record.

Shh, he doesn't like long songs  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:02:14 PM by Outcrier »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2016, 10:35:04 PM »
their finest piece of music to date (the title track) to end the record.

Shh, he doesn't like long songs  :)

But he liked Illumination Theory. :)

I always find the self titled a big hit when I introduce it to new fans.