Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62320 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #735 on: February 15, 2017, 07:12:52 AM »
Awesome. I would love to see them do a theater style tour with a set built around tracks like that. I would definitely go see that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #736 on: February 15, 2017, 07:19:04 AM »
One tune I always wish they would've pulled out is "Getaway" from Dressed To Kill.  Any of the 3 drummers over the years could've pulled it off vocally.  Probably my second favorite Peter vocal, behind "Black Diamond" (all-time favorite KISS song).

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #737 on: February 15, 2017, 09:05:18 AM »
They also did a Creatures Of the Night themed set with more rarities.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #738 on: February 15, 2017, 09:07:32 AM »
They also did a Creatures Of the Night themed set with more rarities.

Right. That is awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #739 on: February 15, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
I'd pay to see that.  I've long said (probably somewhere here in this thread) that I wish Kiss would do the "Iron Maiden" thing, and do a tour of recent stuff, and a tour of a certain era of the band.    Kiss sort of did that for a while (the first reunion was essentially the Love Gun tour/set, and they've touched on the Destroyer era set/costumes) but I wouldn't mind expanding that.   The problem is, they've NEVER been a real "rarities" band, even if they did drop some of those obscure Rock and Roll Over songs in for a show or two.

For me, a diehard, I'd love to see a whole set of songs from '74 to '80, and not have ONE song from Alive!, Alive II, or Double Platinum.  I think it would just be me, Coz, Eddie Trunk, and Sophie in the audience though.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #740 on: February 15, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »
I'd be there too. I swore off Kiss concerts years ago. They need something unique for me to go see them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: February 15, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »
Back in 2004 they did two regular large gigs here and a smaller more intimate gig with a varied setlist

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/2004/palais-theatre-melbourne-australia-3d405ef.html

Was a nice change
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #742 on: February 15, 2017, 09:56:27 AM »
That's a great setlist.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #743 on: February 15, 2017, 09:56:56 AM »
I'd pay to see that.  I've long said (probably somewhere here in this thread) that I wish Kiss would do the "Iron Maiden" thing, and do a tour of recent stuff, and a tour of a certain era of the band.    Kiss sort of did that for a while (the first reunion was essentially the Love Gun tour/set, and they've touched on the Destroyer era set/costumes) but I wouldn't mind expanding that.   The problem is, they've NEVER been a real "rarities" band, even if they did drop some of those obscure Rock and Roll Over songs in for a show or two.

For me, a diehard, I'd love to see a whole set of songs from '74 to '80, and not have ONE song from Alive!, Alive II, or Double Platinum.  I think it would just be me, Coz, Eddie Trunk, and Sophie in the audience though.   

I get to stand next to Sophie, though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #744 on: February 15, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »

I'd be there. My favourite KISS songs are not the ones Paul and gene think they are.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #745 on: February 15, 2017, 02:47:17 PM »

That'd be a great show!  Personally, the setlist has been extremely tired ever since the make-up came back on.  I'd love a "deep cuts" tour.  But, they don't have the balls to do that.  I haven't seen a show since the "Farewell" tour.  And, other than sometimes wishing I could have my daughter see them live, I have no desire to see them in concert anymore.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: February 15, 2017, 03:06:30 PM »

That'd be a great show!  Personally, the setlist has been extremely tired ever since the make-up came back on.  I'd love a "deep cuts" tour.  But, they don't have the balls to do that.  I haven't seen a show since the "Farewell" tour.  And, other than sometimes wishing I could have my daughter see them live, I have no desire to see them in concert anymore.

Respectfully, I don't think it's "balls", necessarily.  It's business.   They're still doing good business, and when I saw them last there were a LOT of people like me with their kids.   My daughter was through the MOON for Rock and Roll All Nite and Detroit Rock City.  I can guarantee you she would have been in the can for "Getaway" or "Let Me Know".   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #747 on: February 15, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »
They are touring the UK this year but as I saw them last time with essentially the same set, I'm going to pass.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #748 on: February 15, 2017, 09:41:20 PM »
I think Kiss do OK with their setlists all things considered. I never go to the concerts so it doesn't really matter to me, but they seem to make room for at least one or two deeper cuts in place of the stuff they have to play. Flaming Youth last year was a cool surprise.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #749 on: February 16, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »
Respectfully, I don't think it's "balls", necessarily.  It's business.   They're still doing good business, and when I saw them last there were a LOT of people like me with their kids.   My daughter was through the MOON for Rock and Roll All Nite and Detroit Rock City.  I can guarantee you she would have been in the can for "Getaway" or "Let Me Know".   
I totally agree with the business comment.  Actually, I meant "balls" in terms of intentionally breaking away from the standard setlist knowing it's probably not the best for business.  That's pretty much what the Kruise is for these days.  It's probably safe to say that the people willing to pay $1,000's for tix are the ones looking for the deeper cuts.  Sadly, their standard concerts are not the place for that.  Which is one of the reasons I've chosen not to go.  I don't really need to hear RaRAN ever again.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: February 21, 2017, 05:42:34 AM »
https://www.klassik78.com/

An album recorded by some KISS fans with the intention of sounding like a long lost KISS demo.  Not bad...........
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #751 on: February 21, 2017, 06:03:27 AM »

An album recorded by some KISS fans with the intention of sounding like a long lost KISS demo.  Not bad...........

:clap:

That is so awesome. The Gene and Paul voices are exact. I would be totally fooled. Did I miss a Peter voice? How in the world did you ever stumble upon that? I love the 8 track in the picture.

Speaking Of KISS, I bought The Ritz On Fire, another one of those radio broadcast bootlegs. It's the August 12, 1988 show from The Ritz in NYC. I had this on tape many years ago. This is a great capture of the band from that era. Bruce Kulick is amazing on this. Seems that dropped Bang Bang You (fine by me, one of the worst 80's tracks) and Reason To Live. No problem there either.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: February 21, 2017, 06:09:58 AM »
I should've held onto it and made out as if I had a demo nobody else had for the show :lol

Ritz On Fire sounds cool.  I agree re Bang Bang You but I always liked Reason To Live despite the cheese.....beautiful understated solo by Bruce.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: February 21, 2017, 06:18:41 AM »
I haven't watched the link yet, but the setlist is amazing.  I could do without Bang Bang You and Crazy Crazy Nights - they both Suck Suck Bad), but you take the good with the bad.  Tears Are Falling is one of my favorite Kiss songs ever, so...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #754 on: February 21, 2017, 06:21:20 AM »
Honestly I've never had a problem with Reason To Live. I think it has an awesome chorus.
I loved 80's KISS. I was very into them back then. I'm a huge Asylum guy. I think it's way underrated. Not as metal as Animalize, but it has some awesome tunes.

Tears Are Falling is one of my favorite Kiss songs ever, so...
See, as much as I love Asylum, I was never crazy about Tears Are Falling.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #755 on: February 21, 2017, 06:24:30 AM »
I like Reason To Live. I love Tears Are Falling. Bang Bang You and Crazy Crazy Nights blow. Or suck. Whichever one we're using now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #756 on: February 21, 2017, 06:27:18 AM »
I never had a problem with Crazy Nights. I always felt it was one of their most "70's sounding" 80's tracks. Writing wise, not production wise.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: February 21, 2017, 06:29:03 AM »
80's KISS really had zero radio presence here in Australia until Crazy Nights which charted well.   So I lived with Killers (my very first album purchase around '82) for 6 years before my next KISS album.  As far as I knew (and bear in mind I was 8yo when I bought Killers ) they weren't releasing albums.

Crazy,Crazy Nights charted pretty well and Turn On The Night also was on the video shows........on the building rooftop , can still remember it :lol  Can't remember what I did yesterday though :\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #758 on: February 21, 2017, 06:32:10 AM »
Turn On The Night is a great song!

What did you get after Killers?
Creatures? LIU?

It took me a long time to appreciate Lick It Up. When that came out, I was out of my KISS fandom, so there were a few years where I ignored them. I bought Animalize when it was released, but it wasn't until Asylum came out, where it totally clicked with me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: February 21, 2017, 06:36:17 AM »
Crazy Nights was my next purchase and then Hot In The Shade, Revenge etc......and only then did I work my way back to albums like Creatures,Asylum and Lick It Up.   I can't recall why but in my early teens in 87-88 I was only just starting to flesh out my collection beyond a few standards and the record stores here likely didn't stock poorly charting albums like Asylum, Animalize etc....    I was only just discovering metal mags etc... too around that time so there was very limited information available.

During that period I was obsessed with Van Halen, Ozzy , Whitesnake and Malmsteen and had probably gone off KISS a little bit as I had played nothing but Killers from 82-85 (the only album I owned ) :lol

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:41:23 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #760 on: February 21, 2017, 06:50:33 AM »
During the LIU/Animalize/CN tours I was getting frustrated hearing the same old songs played.  HITS was a breath of fresh air live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #761 on: February 21, 2017, 07:00:21 AM »
During the LIU/Animalize/CN tours I was getting frustrated hearing the same old songs played.  HITS was a breath of fresh air live.

I agree. HITS followed the Paul solo tour, and I think it really opened his eyes and they seemed to reembrace their past.

BTW, I am making an 80's KISS CD for the car. Tough to narrow it down to 80 minutes. Listening to King Of Hearts now. Except for the horrific pre chorus, this is an A+ track. Everything about it is perfect. (except for the pre chorus)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #762 on: February 21, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »

These sound like rejected demos for studio tracks from Kiss Alive II.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: February 21, 2017, 07:05:22 AM »
You always manage to surprise me Tim - King Of Hearts is the last song I would've picked for you.

I could imagine you listening to "shining like a jewel tonight , love is gonna rule tonight"  and giving it the stamp

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #764 on: February 21, 2017, 07:09:53 AM »
It's better than "Read my body, are the letters big enough"

:facepalm:

I love Paul Stanley. And it wasn't always that way, but you have to take that corniness. There are so many cringeworthy lyrics in KISS tracks, but "shining like a jewel tonight, Love is gonna rule tonight" is actually pretty good.
It's the "When you touch me" prechorus that just about blows this song, but everything else about it is excellent. AS soon as the CD is burned I'll post the tracks.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #765 on: February 21, 2017, 07:13:48 AM »

BTW, I am making an 80's KISS CD for the car. Tough to narrow it down to 80 minutes. Listening to King Of Hearts now. Except for the horrific pre chorus, this is an A+ track. Everything about it is perfect. (except for the pre chorus)
I'd be curious to see how many Gene songs end up on that 80's Kompilation.  He wrote some truly awful stuff in the 80's.  Definition of "mailing it in".

Is the "Ritz On Fire" bootleg the show that was broadcast on 102.7 WNEW?  I bought that on cassette at a flea market back in '88.  Always liked the sound of that show.  But, I agree that the HITS tour was way better.  I remember going to that show and them opening with "I Stole Your Love".  What a great setlist that was!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #766 on: February 21, 2017, 07:17:29 AM »
It's better than "Read my body, are the letters big enough"
The absolute WORST song ever written by KISS (excluding a few solo album songs).  "Take Me Down Below" is pretty close.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: February 21, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »

I'd be curious to see how many Gene songs end up on that 80's Kompilation.  He wrote some truly awful stuff in the 80's.  Definition of "mailing it in".

Is the "Ritz On Fire" bootleg the show that was broadcast on 102.7 WNEW?  I bought that on cassette at a flea market back in '88.  Always liked the sound of that show.  But, I agree that the HITS tour was way better.  I remember going to that show and them opening with "I Stole Your Love".  What a great setlist that was!

But he had a couple in there that were decent...

I'm a fan of the last two songs from both Lick It Up and Animalize, (though "Young and Wasted" and "Burn Bitch Burn" are weak to me),"Trial By Fire" is AWESOME, and I really like "Hell Or High Water".   

As for Paul, yeah, you can't really call out the "cheese" without limiting it to REAL cheese.  Or cheese from a can.   There isn't a Kiss record out there that doesn't have something (lyrically) to raise your eye brows to (I mean, "Love Gun"?  Really?).  It's just when it gets really over the top. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #768 on: February 21, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »
So I went to make my KISS 80's Kompilation CD, but I realized I had forgotten The Elder and Unmasked. Plus I had trouble narrowing it down to 80 minutes, so I ended up making two 70 minute volumes.
Volume I covers Unmasked, The Elder, Killers, Creatures, and Lick It Up
Volume II covers Animalize, Asylum, Crazy Nights, and Hot In the Shade

Volume I                          Volume II
Creatures Of the Night        King Of The Mountain
The Oath                            I've Had Enough
Tomorrow                          Secretly Cruel
I'm A Legend Tonight          Thrills In The Night
War Machine                      I'll Fight Hell To Hold You
I                                       Burn Bitch Burn
Dark Light                          King Of Hearts
Naked City                         Little Caesar
Young And Wasted              I'm Alive
Danger                              Trial By Fire
Easy As It Seems                Turn On The Night
Exciter                                Any Way You Slice It
Only You                             You Love Me To Hate You
Gimme More                       No No No
I Still Love You                    Under The Gun
Nowhere To Run                  Boomerang
And On The 8th Day             My Way

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #769 on: February 21, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »
I'm a fan of the last two songs from both Lick It Up and Animalize, (though "Young and Wasted" and "Burn Bitch Burn" are weak to me),"Trial By Fire" is AWESOME, and I really like "Hell Or High Water".   

I LOVE And On The 8th Day. I actually prefer Lonely Is The Hunter to Murder In High Heels, but neither is that great. Burn Bitch Burn isn't bad. At least it rocks.

I prefer Young And Wasted to Not For The Innocent and Fits Like A Glove.

Hell Or High Water isn't bad and just missed making Volume II.