Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62224 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 01:46:56 PM »
I like both of these albums but each has some clunkers and is up and down- Skip button in use frequently.  I always had a soft spot for I'll Fight Hell To Hold You , mostly due to Paul's vocal performance :hefdaddy   Bruce shredding his butt off doesn't hurt either.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:58:16 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2016, 02:06:48 PM »
There were a number of acts that opened on the Asylum tour (incl King Kobra and WASP?) but I assume you're referring to Black n Blue , a member of which was current axeman Tommy Thayer.

Well done, that is correct. 

Apparently I have to dig deeper on the trivia.  :)    At least as we get up the list it'll be a little easier to put something challenging on the table. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 02:28:26 PM »
Crazy Nights is Paul's "Let's see how high I can sing" album.  Between "I'd Fight Hell To Hold You" and "My Way", it's a wonder his voice didn't blow out sooner than it did.  I like/love most of Paul's stuff on this album.  And, as far as non-makeup 80's albums go, this might be the best of Gene's contributions.  Although, that's not saying much.  As a band, they were chasing the trends way too much with this one.  Definitely too polished sounding.

Asylum is possibly my favorite non-makeup album.  Once again, love the Paul songs - except for "Uh! All Night".  Gene's songs are rife with clichés throughout the whole album.  "Trial By Fire" is my favorite of his on the album, too.  One of the first songs to which Bruce contributed.  The NYC stop on this tour was my first ever concert.  Very bare-bones stage, except for what I believe is the biggest KISS lighting logo to be used.  Also marked the beginning of Gene wearing more blush, makeup and glitter than most of the women in the crowds.  And, for whatever reason, with over a dozen albums of their own at this point, they're playing "Oh Susannah" and The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" at every show.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 02:55:43 PM »
Crazy Nights is Paul's "Let's see how high I can sing" album.  Between "I'd Fight Hell To Hold You" and "My Way", it's a wonder his voice didn't blow out sooner than it did.  I like/love most of Paul's stuff on this album.  And, as far as non-makeup 80's albums go, this might be the best of Gene's contributions.  Although, that's not saying much.  As a band, they were chasing the trends way too much with this one.  Definitely too polished sounding.

Asylum is possibly my favorite non-makeup album.  Once again, love the Paul songs - except for "Uh! All Night".  Gene's songs are rife with clichés throughout the whole album.  "Trial By Fire" is my favorite of his on the album, too.  One of the first songs to which Bruce contributed.  The NYC stop on this tour was my first ever concert.  Very bare-bones stage, except for what I believe is the biggest KISS lighting logo to be used.  Also marked the beginning of Gene wearing more blush, makeup and glitter than most of the women in the crowds.  And, for whatever reason, with over a dozen albums of their own at this point, they're playing "Oh Susannah" and The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" at every show.

Say what you want, but I really LOVE Uh! All Night  :biggrin: Very fun song! Have I told that that riff intro reminds of DT's intro for "A New Beggining"? :o :hat
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 02:59:51 PM »
There were a number of acts that opened on the Asylum tour (incl King Kobra and WASP?) but I assume you're referring to Black n Blue , a member of which was current axeman Tommy Thayer.

Didn't Gene produce Black n Blue's first album?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
I was wondering if I should check out any of those mid-80s KISS albums. Looking forward to seeing which one you consider being the best of those.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 03:11:10 PM »

Well done, that is correct. 

Apparently I have to dig deeper on the trivia.  :)    At least as we get up the list it'll be a little easier to put something challenging on the table.

My first Kiss tour.  Will post pics when I get home this weekend. 

I love Asylum.  Ranked way too low. WAY TOO LOW.  The Gene tunes are great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 03:12:42 PM »

Didn't Gene produce Black n Blue's first album?
He actually did their 3rd and 4th albums, in addition to Keel, Doro, EZO.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2016, 05:46:21 PM »
I like Kiss. They were one of my first favorite bands and I still go back to them on occasion. I think they're generally underrated songwriters, performers, and players. Listen to a Kiss song and just focus on Gene Simmons' bass playing, for example. He's not John Myung but he has a very Paul McCartney-esque sense of rhythm and melody to his playing. Very enjoyable to listen to.

As for these albums:

Don't care for any of the solo albums, Ace's included (although his is decent).

Carnival of Souls is interesting but also very boring.

Crazy Nights is one of the worst.

Asylum has a lot of filler but the "hits" are all top notch. One of the highlights of the non makeup period.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 10:04:48 PM »
These two albums are paint by the numbers hair metal.  Decent stuff, but nothing I go out of my way to play that often.

Completely agree.  Though, my favorite 80's song is Tears Are Falling.  Crazy Nights was just too polished for a KISS album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2016, 12:26:41 AM »
I agree on Crazy Nights' placement. Easily my least favourite album of that era of KISS. The title track is balls, and the only song I like is Reason To Live, which I like, but is fairly by numbers for Paul.
Asylum has Who Wants to Be Lonely, Uh All Night, and Tears are Falling, which are all GREAT songs, but aside from that meh. Tears are Falling is one of my favourite KISS songs, and they actually played it when I saw them in 2004. Nobody else in the audience knew the song, you could hear the crickets, but I loved it. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2016, 12:47:24 AM »
These two albums are paint by the numbers hair metal.  Decent stuff, but nothing I go out of my way to play that often.

Yeah, that whole 1983-1989 period is something I don't really care for, it's too poppy for my taste. The makeup era is where it's at for me :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2016, 06:03:57 AM »
I'm still taking Asylum and Crazy Nights over Hot In The Shade.  And these albums are catching way too much flack here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 06:14:30 AM »
I'm still taking Asylum and Crazy Nights over Hot In The Shade.  And these albums are catching way too much flack here.

I would tend to agree
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2016, 06:17:25 AM »
Following this thread even though I'm not a KISS fan.

That said I do really like the acoustic version of Goin' Blind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 06:18:49 AM »

I'd put Hot in the Shade and Asylum about equal, both well over Crazy Nights.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 06:30:49 AM »
I need a computer!! :censored

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2016, 06:59:50 AM »

Yeah, that whole 1983-1989 period is something I don't really care for, it's too poppy for my taste. The makeup era is where it's at for me :tup

I don't know man, went on a listening spree of that period about a year ago and I thought Lick it up was pretty good, Creatures of the night as well....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2016, 07:01:55 AM »

I agree that HITS that bad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2016, 07:04:09 AM »

I also agree.  HITS is bad.  I like the 80's kiss albums and I tend to like Animalize the best out of the Lick it Up - Animalize - Asylum - Crazy Nights streak.

Peter's solo album is awful, Gene's is slightly less awful.  Paul's is excellent, Ace's even more so.

The Beth re-do with Eric Carr on ST&H was a very odd choice.

I also agree with CoS being ranked this low.  If I wanted to listen to a shitty grunge band, I'd go to the used bin at a record store and browse through any of their selection of crappy 90's albums at $.99 apiece.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2016, 07:04:39 AM »

I don't know man, went on a listening spree of that period about a year ago and I thought Lick it up was pretty good, Creatures of the night as well....

Tons of great tracks from that time period.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2016, 07:08:38 AM »
Also, I saw this shirt in Cape Cod this past weekend:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »

Indeed, Creatures is great. But that came out in 1982, so it's included in my favourite era ;)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2016, 07:14:36 AM »
^^^^ That was drawn by a real Kiss fan - or someone with the album cover in front of them - because they captured the poses perfectly, even down to Gene's goofy foot thing with his clog, and Paul's standing on tip toe. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2016, 07:29:50 AM »
^^^^ That was drawn by a real Kiss fan - or someone with the album cover in front of them - because they captured the poses perfectly, even down to Gene's goofy foot thing with his clog, and Paul's standing on tip toe.
Actually, it's an official (to some degree) t-shirt.  They have one for every team.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2016, 08:24:24 AM »
Also, I saw this shirt in Cape Cod this past weekend:

As a resident of Red Sox Nation, I approve! :tup :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2016, 08:29:07 AM »
Actually, it's an official (to some degree) t-shirt.  They have one for every team.

Football too?   I know my daughter would love that for the Patriots...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »
I'm only seeing it for baseball teams.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
[this thread is actually moving fast]  back to 'Smashes...' for a second:  I had noted the 'channel' difference for vocals on 'Shout It Out Loud', DRC didn't have the 'oomph' of the original, 'Love Gun' vox mix was different, etc.  Surprised that no mention was made, as I was stunned when I heard Eric Carr doing 'Beth'.  The first time I listened to that song (other than a recent car commercial) since the 70s.  I still cringe, but he was pretty good on it.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2016, 12:24:51 PM »
That Kiss shirt is awesome!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2016, 07:09:44 AM »
22.   Psycho Circus (1998):  A very difficult album for me, as I was so excited for this reunion.  I saw the band multiple times without makeup, but was sort of wearing thin on the studio material, and I even got the chance to see them on their epic reunion homecoming at Madison Square Garden (the show I saw was the night before the version on the bonus disk in the Kissology III set).  So a new album seemed like the best of all worlds.   I like some of the songs – other than the title and chorus, “Psycho Circus” is an excellent song, “Within” is creepy Gene at his best, and “I Pledge Allegiance…” is vintage Paul “rawk and roll” - but as a lifelong fan, and half-assed musician, I knew on first listen that other than vocals, Ace was not an active participant, and Peter was basically non-existent.  It wasn’t long before it became official:  Kevin Valentine played all the drums except one song, and Tommy Thayer played most of the leads on the record (Ace only played lead on two songs).  “You Wanted The Best” was supposed to be some sort of self-referential, self-celebratory anthem for the reunited band, but the song itself sucked, and the sentiment behind it fell flat once the truth came out.  “I Finally Found My Way” is an overly clichéd show spot for Peter, but he didn’t even play drums on the song.  I know most people don’t agree with me, but a lot of the bitching that Peter and Ace have done since falls largely on deaf ears for me, because they were more than willing to play along when the money was flowing in, but when Paul and Gene called BS on their antics and the money stopped, all of a sudden Paul and Gene are Beelzebub’s henchmen.  Paul has since said that this album is not a favorite of his, as he famously clashed with the now-deceased Bruce Fairbairn.  In fact, at one time, Paul vowed never to make another Kiss album again produced by someone else (and they haven't). 

21.   Revenge (1992):  I’m going to hear about this, I just know it.  But perhaps that’s why this album is here.  It’s SUPPOSED to be the return to form: Bob Ezrin producing, Vinnie Vincent co-writing, stripped back sound, probably the best "band" that Kiss has ever had…and largely it is good, but for me it just tries too hard and doesn’t quite measure up to the expectations.  Don’t get me wrong; I like it - “Unholy” is a legendary track, there are few outside writers, and Gene is present on this record in a way he hadn't been for years - but every high point seems to be balanced by something lesser, and while every album has it's clunkers, it seems like the low points here are more prominent.   The subpar “Domino” was a single, the downright shitty “Spit” was played live, and the treacly "Every Time I Look At You" was also a single, for example, .  I’m a big fan of “God Gave Rock’n’Roll To You II” despite the cheesy chorus; I just love when Gene and Paul sing together, and the melodies are strong.  Also like the “Summertime Blues” quote in “I Just Wanna”.  The tribute “Carr Jam” is sort of lost on me; it’s a curiosity, but I think the aforementioned “God…” was a much more fitting and apt tribute.  The rest of the songs are strong, this is a good record, but it’s not one I come back to a lot and I'm not sure why.  To me, it is above-average for everyone else, but just middle-of-the-pack Kiss.

Trivia:  What is the only song on "Psycho Circus" that all four members actually play their instruments on?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2016, 07:18:42 AM »
Nope, Revenge is amazing. I'd say it's easily their best album, no contest. A huge return to form after some weaker albums (and I love their '80s songs). Gene finally figured out what the hell he was doing after phoning it in for most of the '80s, Paul was still in top form, Bruce was rocking out hard, and Eric Singer was a monster drummer.

First four tracks of Psycho Circus were great, basically filler after that. I believe the answer to your question is Into the Void.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2016, 07:23:10 AM »
Trivia:  What is the only song on "Psycho Circus" that all four members actually play their instruments on?

Is it Into The Void? But You Wanted The Best sure sounds like it as well.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2016, 07:33:26 AM »
I'm a big Revenge fan.  KISS kind of lost me in the late 80's.  I still bought the albums and went to the shows but I was losing interest as each year passed.  Seeing the Unholy video was a "WOW" moment for me.  Gene was back and I was hooked.  I saw two shows on the ill-fated Revenge tour and even bought 3 copies of Alive III on vinyl (one red, one white, and one blue).  The band sailed without direction (tribute album, Konventions) until the KISS Unplugged MTV Special which ultimately led to the reunion which the band had to do or it was over (at least the arena headlining tours were...the revenge tour was a bloodbath).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2016, 07:49:24 AM »
Revenge is a killer album.  Right up the top for me.  Into The Void is the correct answer.

Trivia, what stripper was all over kingshmegland when she saw him singing the lyrics to this song on Revenge from the front row?