Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62124 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »
Love Gun is unquestionably the weakest of the six. RnRO is definitely better. For me, they go like this:

Hotter than Hell
Kiss
Rock and Roll Over
Destroyer
Dressed to Kill
Love Gun

Mine would go:

Hotter Than Hell
Kiss
Dressed to Kill
Love Gun
Rock n Roll Over
Destroyer
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »
I actually think Destroyer is way overrated...

I agree - some legendary tracks but lots of filler IMO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2016, 01:25:49 AM »
I actually think Destroyer is way overrated...

I agree - some legendary tracks but lots of filler IMO.

I agree. It has Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, Shout it Out Loud, and I guess Beth if you're into that sort of thing. The rest, no thanks. Love Gun is the stronger album overall imo, and it's also not a consistent album by any means.

Because all of the cool kids are doing it-

Kiss
Rock n Roll Over
Hotter Than Hell (would be second if the production didn't suck huge donkey balls)
Love Gun
Destroyer
Dressed to Kill
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2016, 02:39:06 AM »
I actually think Destroyer is way overrated....
Thank God I'm not the only one.

Love gun is solid but a bit of a mess and my 2nd least favorite of the classic era. Some of the songs are perfect, some are barely even average. I love Christine sixteen, Shock me and I recall Got love for sale being pretty great. However, tracks like Plaster caster, Then she kissed me and even Tomorrow and tonight are nowhere near being convincing, in-your-face or good to rock out to. Hooligan isn't bad, I dig some of it except for the chorus.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2016, 03:04:59 AM »
First 6?

Hotter Than Hell
Love Gun
KISS (might be higher with a better production)
Dressed To Kill
Destroyer
RnRO

Destroyer and Dressed to Kill probably switch places a bit. I'm more likely to play DtK tbh.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2016, 05:24:08 AM »

16.   Love Gun (1977): One of the original six, but in my opinion, by far the weakest.  Well known for the title track (one of Paul’s favorite Kiss songs) and Ace’s vocal debut (“Shock Me”), the album also featured several middling songs that later appeared on Alive II, including “Christine Sixteen”, “I Stole Your Love” and – amazingly, since it was never actually performed live - “Tomorrow And Tonight”.  I like the other songs, but they’re a shade silly even for Kiss, and while I can look past the lyrics, it’s more that the songs themselves feel a little light weight.  Even the cover, “Then She Kissed Me” (a gender reversal from the original) seems a little lacking for the self-proclaimed “Hottest Band In The World”.  Having said that, at the age of 12 or 13, the paper “gun” in the album was cool (until it ripped after about the third try) and to this day, the “KISS” in red blood letters on the record inner sleeve was beyond cool.

This was where they forever got side railed.  The lyrics were way too directed at 10-15 year olds, and the makeup of the concert goers began to reflect this as well.  There was no hint of darkness in the music or the band, just fluff and pop.  As to music, one could combine half of RnR Over with Love Gun, and you'd have a pretty good album. 

Gene's LP....I did listen to one track, and that was a couple of years ago when reading their history:  'If You Wish Upon A Star'.  I mean, wow, if one talks about 'cheese' factors, that would be as gouda one of any to list at the top.....

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »

Gene's LP....I did listen to one track, and that was a couple of years ago when reading their history:  'If You Wish Upon A Star'.  I mean, wow, if one talks about 'cheese' factors, that would be as gouda one of any to list at the top.....

I feel like my Top Ten is going to create chaos.  Hyperbole, of course, but still.  There are a number of comments here that DIRECTLY contradict how I feel about the Kiss Katalogue.   

I didn't say it, but there's "cheesy" lyrics, and then there are "lazy" lyrics.   We've all said this multiple times, but you can't really be into Kiss then criticize the lyrics.   I can live with crappy lyrics if they're honest; I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the music to Plaster Caster, but I felt like Gene phoned in those lyrics, and wrote them in about 3:00 (about the length of time it took him to sing it). 

As for Gene, I get it, it's not for everyone, but it's not really fair or accurate to listen to one song, make it "When You Wish..." and then dismiss the entire endeavor.   That song was not to be taken without some backstory.  It was a statement as much as anything; poor Jewish kid, born in Israel to a single Holocaust survivor, comes to America at the age of 8 not speaking a word of English, and by the time he's 25 he's LEGEND in every possible way someone can be a legend...  if you were to name the people that are TRULY living "The American Dream"TM, Simmons has to be in the top three.   In his words: "When I first heard that song I could barely speak English but I knew the words were true. Anybody can have what they want, the world and life can give its rewards to anyone."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2016, 07:43:56 AM »
A rather like Plaster Caster.  I think the Lemonheads version from KMA was alright, even.

Online cfmoran13

« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2016, 07:58:03 AM »
First 6?

Hotter Than Hell
Love Gun
KISS (might be higher with a better production)
Dressed To Kill
Destroyer
RnRO

Destroyer and Dressed to Kill probably switch places a bit. I'm more likely to play DtK tbh.
Wow!  KISS is the album whose production you have a problem with?!?  HTH has to be one of the worst-sounding albums of all-time.  Even Richie Wise and Kevin Kerner feel that way.  But, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

If I had to give my order, it'd be:
Dressed To Kill - I know it's barely 30 minutes long and it has the WAAAAY overplayed RaRAN.  But, to me, that album is full of strong deep cuts.  And, "Getaway" is a great Peter song.
Hotter Than Hell - Sounds like sh*t.  But, the songs are really good.
KISS - Has my favorite KISS song ("Black Diamond").  But, between "Kissin' Time" and "Love Theme From KISS", it doesn't quite stack up to my top 2.
Rock And Roll Over - Pretty good rock album all the way through.
Destroyer - Good album but "Great Expectations", "Beth" and "Do You Love Me?" (never liked that song) bring it down.
Love Gun - I like Side 1.  Don't ever need to hear anything from Side 2 again.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2016, 07:59:45 AM »
Agreed, HTH's production is muddy and awful, but it's still my favorite Kiss album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2016, 08:32:52 AM »
Agreed, HTH's production is muddy and awful, but it's still my favorite Kiss album.

It has so many great songs on it, but I always favour the live versions of those songs though because of the awful production. The production on the first album I think is quite good. It lacks punch and grit, but it has great clarity.

Online cfmoran13

« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
Just reviewing what albums are left at this point, there's no doubt that some minds will be blown.  I'm curious to see where Dynasty ranks in this list.  I'm guessing it'll probably be one of the next 2 albums.  But, who knows?!?  I never envisioned Sonic Boom making it this far either.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »
I rank both Dynasty and Sonic Boom highly as KISS albums, so I'm glad they are yet to come. :tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2016, 08:51:48 AM »
i don't think Love Gun is the worst of the six, but it's definitely in the bottom half.

Rock and Roll Over
Hotter than Hell
Kiss
Destroyer
Love Gun
Dressed to Kill
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online cfmoran13

« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »
Taking a look at Dynasty's track listing, it still surprises me that, as far gone (chemically speaking) as Ace probably was at this point, he still had more songs than Gene.  I wonder if that had more to do with their belief in his songs or with them trying to keep him from leaving.  Both Dynasty and Unmasked have 3 Ace tunes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2016, 09:05:41 AM »
Wow.  I love Destroyer.  Looks like most here don't rank it as high as I would.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cfmoran13

« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
I would say a lot has to do with just being burned out on the album.  They've probably played half the album every night for the last 5-10 years.  I absolutely love "Detroit Rock City".  But, if I'm looking for something to listen to, I'd probably seek out "Magic Touch" or "Tonight You Belong To Me" first.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »
Honestly the production kind of ruins it for me. I get what they were trying to do, but I prefer a more raw Kiss sound. Plus there's a bit too much filler for me in the middle.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
And that's what I believe most Kiss fans would say.  It's not raw enough.  Though R&RO is my favorite album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
I don't mind the production overall, but I do much prefer the more raw rock sound for their style. Mostly it just comes down to not having many good songs, and too many tracks not sounding like KISS.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »

Amen, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »
What is the deal with the HTH production anyway? I always found it bizarre that the debut and DtK both sound hood while the one in between between is demo tape quality. Is there a story for that?

Online cfmoran13

« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2016, 12:28:56 PM »
What is the deal with the HTH production anyway? I always found it bizarre that the debut and DtK both sound hood while the one in between between is demo tape quality. Is there a story for that?
They relocated from NYC to Los Angeles to record it.  New studio.  The producers wanted to experiment with the sound and make it sound different from the first album.  Blah blah blah.  Richie Wise and Kenny Kerner have both discussed this album on various podcasts. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2016, 12:42:59 PM »

It has been my favorite KISS album for years. It was the first one I ever listened to from start to finish.  Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, and Shout it Out Loud are killer tracks.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2016, 12:48:12 PM »

The quality of the songs rises above the production.
And yeah, I guess I burned out on the songs on KISS as most are still the backbone of everything they do. I love the deep cuts that never get played.

And I'm happy that Dynasty and unmasked haven't been ditched yet. I love both those albums. Ok it's not the direction KISS should have gone but I love the songwriting.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2016, 12:55:18 PM »
Here are my favorite KISS songs from their 70s albums. It's actually hard to just pick ten.

Black Diamond (Above and beyond my favorite KISS song)

The rest are in no discernible order.
Parasite
Rock and Roll All Nite
She
Detroit Rock City
God of Thunder
Shout it Out Loud
Calling Dr. Love
Love Gun
Nothin' To Lose

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »
I'm not going to post my top ten songs from the original six, since I don't want to give anything away, but suffice to say, going from 15 to 10 is almost impossible for me.

My favorite from each album is:
Deuce
Let Me Go, Rock and Roll
She
Shout It Out Loud
Makin' Love
Love Gun

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2016, 01:27:34 PM »
I was so happy when they brought back Makin' Love on the HITS tour.

Online cfmoran13

« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2016, 01:32:07 PM »
I was so happy when they brought back Makin' Love on the HITS tour.
That and "I Stole Your Love" coming back were that tour's highlights for me.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »
BTW, Stadler, I hope we're not stealing any thunder throwing out rankings and stuff like this in your thread.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2016, 06:59:42 AM »
NO WAY!!!  I love it and that's why I started this, to get some discussion going!   Bring it on!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2016, 07:06:05 AM »
15. Ace Frehley (1978):  This album gets a lot of love from the fanbase, and I totally understand it, even if I don’t exactly share it.   It’s probably the most Kiss-like, top to bottom, but that’s both its blessing and its curse.  I love Ace’s voice – there’s literally no one that sounds like him – but for me, he’s like garlic or cumin:  a little goes a long way.  When he has two or three songs on an album, in between songs by Gene and Paul, it REALLY works, but here it starts to sound “same-y”.   LOVE Fractured Mirror, the instrumental, and thought it was by far the strongest song on the record (I played it to death), and I really like the “drone-y” vibe to both “Snowblind” (one of the best uses of a guitar synthesizer I can name) and “Ozone”.  As is typical with me, the biggest hit - "New York Groove" - is the song I like least, and I feel it’s more novelty than real song, and I can't stand the drum sound and the vocal phrasings ("Here I am...").  Some very good guitar work overall, though, and this album more than any wishes that the band took the three or four best Paul songs, the three or four best Gene songs, and the three best Ace songs and made another Kiss album in '78. 

14. Monster (2012):  This is an album that, along with Sonic Boom, gets a lot of flack.  But if you’re down with the Kiss ethos – meat and potatoes, loud guitars, melodic vocals, and a lot of sex – this album delivers.   Not every song is a winner – I like the song, but I’ll concede “Freak” is a little contrived in the same way that most of “Carnival of Souls” is contrived - and it is a heavier record than Sonic Boom, but it’s solid from top to bottom.   “Shout Mercy” is a Top Ten Kiss song for me, and I REALLY like the Gene songs on this record, especially “Wall of Sound” and “The Devil Is Me”.  He put in the effort, especially with his bass playing (all indications are it is him playing on most of the songs) and really, that’s all I ever ask of him.   Tommy Thayer co-writes 9 of the 12 songs on this record, and I’m starting to feel that he pulls his weight in a way that Ace never did, even if perhaps Tommy’s playing isn’t as groundbreaking as Ace’s was.  I didn’t succumb to pressure on this, but I will admit to dropping this several places after re-listening to it in the last few days in the context of the rest of the catalogue.  I liked it a lot when it first came out – and still do – but it’s not quite as strong top to bottom as Sonic Boom, and it hasn’t, over time, replaced any of the top ten (though I have, in the past, called it a “Top Ten Kiss Album”; it’s not).   Regardless, I'd like more of this, please!  How about another album in 2017!!!

Trivia:  Speaking of “Freak”, according to Gene, what mega-star asked to sing on that song, and was going to until ultimately Gene decided that Paul should sing it by himself? 

Online cfmoran13

« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
Glad to see Paul's solo album as the highest ranked.  To me, that's the most KISS-sounding solo album.  Ace's is definitely a solid 2nd among the four.  And, I agree with you about "New York Groove".  Living in the NJ/NYC area, there's not a sporting event I can go to where I don't hear it blaring over the PA.  And, while it's cool to hear a KISS song played in a public setting that's not RaRAN, it's a little overdone.  Very cool that he took the term "solo" quite literal and played virtually every instrument on the album, too.

So, Sonic Boom is ranked higher than Monster...  Interesting!  To me, this was definitely a back to basics if not KISS-by-numbers album.  But, I mean that in a good way.  Gene is fully back onboard with some of his strongest songs in YEARS.  This album totally works for me until "Outta This World".  Between this contrived "Space Ace" song, followed by the absolutely awfully shameless lyrics of "Take Me Down Below" and Eric's apparently mandatory anthem "All For The Love Of Rock And Roll", this album all but falls apart for me.  But, if this is the last album KISS puts out, I'd say they ended pretty darn well.

Interesting "Freak" trivia question.  I was unaware of that.  Makes sense and I would've loved to have heard it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2016, 07:27:35 AM »
I've never bothered with any of the solo albums, so I have no comment there.

I mostly agree with you on Monster, and even though I wasn't as positive on this as I was/am with Sonic Boom, I still think it's a very solid album overall, and one of their more consistent. My main criticism is that while Sonic Boom sounds like an album clearly inspired by the classic KISS material, Monster sounds like Sonic Boom feeding back into itself. Maybe if the two albums were released the other way around, I'd feel oppositely. :lol But Sonic Boom and Monster are both exactly what I want from KISS at this point, so I want more too! :biggrin:

I also love Shout Mercy, and Last Chance is a great rocker. One of those or the opening track would be my favourite. The Singer tune is cool too. I agree with you on Freak. It's one of those times Paul tries too hard. I felt the same with Say Yeah on Sonic Boom.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »
Never really been a huge fan of Kiss, but they were really, really popular when I was about 12 or 13 years old.  I just wasn't ready for them at that age.  Later, when I started getting into bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden I thought of Kiss as a sort of joke that everybody but Kiss was in on. 

What I didn't realize at the time was the fact that I was witnessing the birth of the brilliance of the Gene Simmons marketing machine.  You can laugh all you want at the silly costumes and the 3-chord songs but their live shows were such a spectacle that they succeeded despite being decidedly mediocre musicians.

I'm still not much of a fan today, but I've always wanted to experience a Kiss concert so Mrs. NoseHair and I are going to be seeing them at the Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA this summer.  It's an outdoor venue and they allow cameras so I'm going to bring my digital SLR and telephoto lense and see if I can get some good pictures.  Should be fun  :)