Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62128 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 26, 2016, 07:54:54 AM »
"Can't even spell my name".  :metal  It's a ripper autobiography too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2016, 01:20:53 PM »
Now Stadler, you can't attack the shit lyrics of Hooligan in an attempt to defend the shit lyrics in READ my body.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »
I'll speak up in defense of Hooligan. LOVE that song.

I like the 35 Chevy on a 55 frame.

Maybe I just have a soft spot for Love Gun because it was my first. If there's a weak track from that album, I would say it was the cover of And Then She Kissed Me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »
I always thought Hooligan was a pretty decent tune.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
Hooligan is the 9th best song on the album.  It's just an ok song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2016, 01:43:52 PM »
And Then She Kissed Me.

WTF is that? What a suck job!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2016, 01:47:38 PM »
Read My Body ain't great, but it ain't that bad. It's KISS. They've done far worse.
IMO, "Read My Body" is pretty much the worst song they've every written.  The only other one I put in the same stratosphere as that one is "Take Me Down Below".  There's nothing creepier than these 60 year old dudes singing those lyrics.  I'm not expecting philosophy from my KISS lyrics.  But, they gotta be a little better than those!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2016, 01:50:11 PM »
Never heard of that song before, but I have completely ignored the last two albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »
Never heard of that song before, but I have completely ignored the last two albums.

Tim, why?  They are strong albums.  Back to basics for Kiss. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2016, 02:08:48 PM »
It's an awful, awful song that makes "Going Blind"'s "I'm 93, you're 16" lyrical imagery seem deep.

Monster is light years ahead of Sonic Boom.  But, it's still a far cry from their best.  Both albums have a handful of good songs.  The difference being, on Monster, some of those in the handful are Gene songs, too.  Monster has Gene's best writing on a KISS album (excluding Carnival of Souls) in probably 30 years.  Both albums are a little too formulaic for my liking.  Tommy gets his Ace clone song about space.  Eric gets his "All For The..." song - "All For The Glory" on Sonic Boom, "All For The Love of Rock And Roll" on Monster.  And, both albums have one Gene/Paul lead vocal split song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2016, 02:12:22 PM »

Tim, why?  They are strong albums.  Back to basics for Kiss.

Good question. I love Paul Stanley too. But I don't know. I guess I've never accepted Eric dressing as Peter and Thayer dressing as Ace.
I just can't get behind it, and besides that, I just haven't had any interest.
Dumb reasoning I know.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2016, 02:13:08 PM »
try them.  tell me what you think.  I think you'll like them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »
Alright, but don't hold your breath! ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »
 :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2016, 02:26:19 PM »
"Shout Mercy" is a Top 10 Kiss song all time for me.   LOVE that song.

Now Stadler, you can't attack the shit lyrics of Hooligan in an attempt to defend the shit lyrics in READ my body.

This is, of course, absolutely true.  Because I love some of their songs that make absolutely ZERO sense.   "Goin' Blind" for one (also a Top Ten song for me). 

I don't know; Peter's lyrics and vocal phrasings just rub me the wrong way.  He is cheesy in a different way (like the soft spoken "To you, babay" at the end of "I Finally Found My Way").   If anyone hasn't figured it out, I really don't like him very much for being the original drummer in one of my favorite bands ever.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »
King, you can exhale now because after reading THIS:

I checked it out.

The next breath you take could be your last! :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »
I just listened to "Read My Body" again, and for the life of me, I don't get the hate.  It's not "Love Gun" or "Detroit Rock City", I will grant you, but it's fairly innocuous.   Plus I dig the little Zeppelin quote during the fade out. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »
Actually, when this thread is all said and done, it will be interesting to see everyone's own Top 10 KISS Songs. I'm sure it will be pretty varied.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »
I just listened to "Read My Body" again, and for the life of me, I don't get the hate.  It's not "Love Gun" or "Detroit Rock City", I will grant you, but it's fairly innocuous.   Plus I dig the little Zeppelin quote during the fade out.
For obvious reasons, the fade out is the best part of that song.  Paul should've stopped with the spoken/rapped lyrics at "All Hell's Breaking Loose".

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »

This is, of course, absolutely true.  Because I love some of their songs that make absolutely ZERO sense.   "Goin' Blind" for one (also a Top Ten song for me). 

I don't know; Peter's lyrics and vocal phrasings just rub me the wrong way.  He is cheesy in a different way (like the soft spoken "To you, babay" at the end of "I Finally Found My Way").   If anyone hasn't figured it out, I really don't like him very much for being the original drummer in one of my favorite bands ever.

I'm with you on Goin' Blind. Great song on a great album.
I'm no PC fan either, though I don't mind his voice. Don't read his autobiography, you'll want to kill him. I did.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »
I promised some concert pictures.

Asylum Tour
December 22, 1985
Providence Civic Center

Crazy Nights Tour
December 12, 1987
Providence Civic Center

The band singing White Christmas:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2016, 08:48:59 PM »
classic pictures!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2016, 11:25:23 PM »

That's what I'm saying! It's not great, but I have absolutely no idea why it's being singled out as the worst thing KISS has done, when they've done much worse things. :lol

Take Me Down Below is a good song. So is Shout Mercy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:32:15 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2016, 07:06:36 AM »
Great to read this, even if I don't agree with everything. ;)

I thought this might be interesting for all you old school KISS fans: Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley sharing the stage yet again for a music video (and a reeeeeeally awkward intro :lol ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypw1QVnuv74
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »
Thanks guys....now I have Hooligan stuck in my head. ALL. DAMN. DAY.

It's not a great song, but it is an earworm...

"I MEAN LIKE I'M SOOOO BAAAAD!!!"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2016, 11:41:43 AM »
Let me guess, Destroyer and Alive 1 are going to be next?  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »
Let me guess, Destroyer and Alive 1 are going to be next?  :lol

No live albums in this list, so at least we can avoid that. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2016, 01:20:48 PM »
Nope...

17.   Gene Simmons (1978):  I didn’t intend for there to be such a stark contrast between the eras, but I let the results fall where they would and didn’t want to artificially pump up the later, non-makeup or reunion albums.   So this is where the real rubber hits the road, and the distinctions get a lot harder.   This is the solo album I initially listened to the most, since it was so different from Kiss, but had all the elements, if that makes sense.  Gene’s voice – which I love – is all over it, and while some of the songs sound dated these days, at the time I was pleasantly surprised at how diverse this was from the guy that seemed to be such a one-note guy generally.  I’m a massive Beatles fan (as is Gene) so many of the songs were right in my wheelhouse, and having a version of “See You In My Dreams” with Rick Nielson from Cheap Trick on it was gold.  I was bummed that Gene didn’t play more bass (I love his bass playing; perhaps that is why so many of the later-era albums are lower; he didn’t play bass on a lot of them), but Neil Jason does a good job capturing Gene’s vibe.  I could do without the creepy, cheese of “Living In Sin”, though to be honest; it’s the one thing I dislike about Gene distilled down to 3:50.  I swear to this day that is Paul on the intro to “See You In Your Dreams”, making him the only member of Kiss to appear on another member’s solo album.

16.   Love Gun (1977): One of the original six, but in my opinion, by far the weakest.  Well known for the title track (one of Paul’s favorite Kiss songs) and Ace’s vocal debut (“Shock Me”), the album also featured several middling songs that later appeared on Alive II, including “Christine Sixteen”, “I Stole Your Love” and – amazingly, since it was never actually performed live - “Tomorrow And Tonight”.  I like the other songs, but they’re a shade silly even for Kiss, and while I can look past the lyrics, it’s more that the songs themselves feel a little light weight.  Even the cover, “Then She Kissed Me” (a gender reversal from the original) seems a little lacking for the self-proclaimed “Hottest Band In The World”.  Having said that, at the age of 12 or 13, the paper “gun” in the album was cool (until it ripped after about the third try) and to this day, the “KISS” in red blood letters on the record inner sleeve was beyond cool.

Trivia:  Depending on who you ask, either two or three people played piano on the "original six" Kiss albums.  One such appearance is on Love Gun; who played the piano?    Second trivia: everyone knows Eddie and Alex Van Halen played on the demo for "Christine Sixteen" (and Ace copied the solo for the final version).  What was the OTHER song that the VH brothers demo'd for Gene? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
So Stadler, you're obviously a big Gene guy, so you are granted some leeway on his album's placement. Personally, I think it's a suck fest. ;D

But I do agree with you on Love Gun being the weakest of the Original 6.

And from what I can tell, we're close to the same age, but I never was too interested in the paper gun, but I did stare at that cover for hours on end!

Also, I still have my Love Gun (and Destroyer) jigsaw puzzles.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2016, 02:35:23 PM »
Trivia:  Depending on who you ask, either two or three people played piano on the "original six" Kiss albums.  One such appearance is on Love Gun; who played the piano?    Second trivia: everyone knows Eddie and Alex Van Halen played on the demo for "Christine Sixteen" (and Ace copied the solo for the final version).  What was the OTHER song that the VH brothers demo'd for Gene?
1. Eddie Kramer
2. Weren't there three songs?  Christeen Sixteen, Got Love For Sale and Tunnel of Love?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2016, 03:37:59 PM »
I don't mind the Gene album. I like that it's not what you would xpect. I love the out of phase intro burning up with fever.
I never really like See You in Your Dreams and prefer the original to this version.

I like Love Gun much more than you. I'd put it above RnRO and DtK., maybe even Destroyer. The only low point is TSKM.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
Gene is an album I barely play. There are only a few songs I like.

Love Gun comes out swinging but gasses out in the end. Though half of the album is killer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »

I like Love Gun much more than you. I'd put it above RnRO and DtK., maybe even Destroyer. The only low point is TSKM.
Now that you mention it, Love Gun really isn't any worse than RnRO. That's pretty weak too. And while DTK is easily the worst of the 1st three, I'd still take it over RnRO and LG.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2016, 07:17:52 PM »
Love Gun is unquestionably the weakest of the six. RnRO is definitely better. For me, they go like this:

Hotter than Hell
Kiss
Rock and Roll Over
Destroyer
Dressed to Kill
Love Gun

Offline jammindude

« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2016, 07:21:46 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, Love Gun was my first, so I have a soft spot for it.    I actually think Destroyer is way overrated....Love Gun (to me) is the last hurrah of the classic era.     If I remember correctly, it is also the final album on which all four members actually performed until PC.   (It's my understanding that Peter only performed on maybe 1-2 track on Dynasty and didn't actually perform at all on Unmasked)

Come to think of it...did I miss something?   I guess I can see how Love Gun might be low to some people....but lower than Unmasked?   Or did I miss it?   There are 1 or 2 saving graces to Unmasked, but for the most part, that album is bloody awful.   My personal least favorite of the albums I've heard. 

Back to Love Gun, I will never forget how surprised I was when I Stole Your Love first hit my speakers.   I mean, it just seems like a rock song now, but that was a *really heavy* song for it's time.    I still think that is the most "metal" track the original band ever did...with Parasite being a close second.