Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.5  (Read 452541 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What album are you listening to? v.5
« Reply #7280 on: December 27, 2017, 07:52:36 PM »
Judas Priest- Defenders of the Faith 30th

Just tapped that a couple days ago. Great set!

I'm sure you made Rob very happy.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7281 on: December 27, 2017, 10:03:50 PM »
Rainbow- Long Live Rock n Roll

Van Halen- 1984

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7282 on: December 27, 2017, 11:00:02 PM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7283 on: December 28, 2017, 04:12:59 AM »
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster

I've been listening to a lot of Prog and Metal lately (playing major catch-up on this year's releases; Trivium, Leprous, Caligula's Horse, etc.), and I needed a break. First time listening to this album and...it's a lot better than I thought it would be. It's actually pretty bangin. Speechless is the stand out track so far.

Does not compute.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 04:24:29 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #7284 on: December 28, 2017, 04:19:45 AM »

First time listening to this & damn, I haven't had my prog-boundaries pushed so far since I first heard Crack The Skye. Really loving this album. Not huge on the soundscapes (title track could be like half the length), but the actual songs are some of the most interesting I've heard. Cassandra Gemini is a favourite, as is Cygnus. Definitely going to be playing this a ton, it's the kind of album where there's always something new you notice each time you listen. It's really refreshing & I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like it before.

tl;dr It gud  :tup
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7285 on: December 28, 2017, 04:25:05 AM »

First time listening to this & damn, I haven't had my prog-boundaries pushed so far since I first heard Crack The Skye. Really loving this album. Not huge on the soundscapes (title track could be like half the length), but the actual songs are some of the most interesting I've heard. Cassandra Gemini is a favourite, as is Cygnus. Definitely going to be playing this a ton, it's the kind of album where there's always something new you notice each time you listen. It's really refreshing & I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like it before.

tl;dr It gud  :tup

What is this?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7286 on: December 28, 2017, 04:26:39 AM »
Huuuuge Frances fan here, the title track was actually left off the official release and definitely makes the album an easier listen but I get what you're saying (especially L'via into Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore). If you want 2 stylistically similar albums with less background transition noise check out Amputechture or Deloused in the Comatorium.

@wolfking Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7287 on: December 28, 2017, 04:28:05 AM »
One of those band names I've heard a lot and heard snippets and sounds interesting enough but probably something I wouldn't understand.  I really like the cover.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #7288 on: December 28, 2017, 04:39:52 AM »
Huuuuge Frances fan here, the title track was actually left off the official release and definitely makes the album an easier listen but I get what you're saying (especially L'via into Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore). If you want 2 stylistically similar albums with less background transition noise check out Amputechture or Deloused in the Comatorium.

I'm aware of the title track being left off, but I actually love the soundscapes in Miranda. I dunno, maybe it's just because they suit the theme of the song more, but I couldn't imagine the same experience without the extra 9 minutes of Miranda, whereas I've made a version where I cut the intro & outro to the title track & I notice barely any difference (actually, cutting the outro so it ends right where Sarcophagi comes in transitions quite nicely into Cygnus, I may upload that cut later).

I'll definitely check out those albums when I've fully digested this one though.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7289 on: December 28, 2017, 04:43:09 AM »
Been re-listening to a lot of 2017 releases to finalize my yearly rankings.

And a few that I finally got around to checking out

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #7290 on: December 28, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster

I've been listening to a lot of Prog and Metal lately (playing major catch-up on this year's releases; Trivium, Leprous, Caligula's Horse, etc.), and I needed a break. First time listening to this album and...it's a lot better than I thought it would be. It's actually pretty bangin. Speechless is the stand out track so far.

Does not compute.

:lol

Well, I'm one of those people who can't listen to too much of the same thing straight in a row. After about hours of good-but-not-amazing straight-edge Prog Metal, it all starts to "weigh" on me and starts boring me. I need to mix-it up a bit.

Anywho:

Little Richard - Here's Little Richard

Talking about the Big 4 of original Rock'n'Roll in the other thread got me in the mood for some classic 50s Rock'n'Roll.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7291 on: December 28, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »
Coney Hatch- Outa Hand

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7292 on: December 28, 2017, 07:12:26 PM »

I like this album. Expecting it on the B&B 2017 podcast.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #7293 on: December 28, 2017, 07:18:14 PM »
Been re-listening to a lot of 2017 releases to finalize my yearly rankings.

And a few that I finally got around to checking out

i haven't heard a single one of these but a lot of those album covers are pretty damn gorgeous  :lol
i'm guessing they're mostly prog/power-metal releases though?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7294 on: December 28, 2017, 07:38:04 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7295 on: December 28, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »

Winger would be better!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7296 on: December 29, 2017, 04:30:12 AM »
That Ramos album is pretty good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7297 on: December 29, 2017, 05:54:32 AM »
Sword- Sweet Dreams

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7298 on: December 29, 2017, 06:35:59 AM »
i haven't heard a single one of these but a lot of those album covers are pretty damn gorgeous  :lol
i'm guessing they're mostly prog/power-metal releases though?

Not shocking that these wouldn't be on your radar.  And yeah... all of the prog-metal or power-metal variety.  The Scardust album is fairly growl-heavy (relatively speaking for my tastes).  There's a possibility you'd tolerate it.   :biggrin:

@ Tim... that Fireforce album was actually kinda disappointing.  Enjoyable enough, but fairly standard stuff.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #7299 on: December 29, 2017, 07:08:34 AM »

If Gabriel era Genesis had come up as a post rock band.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7300 on: December 29, 2017, 01:55:22 PM »
That Ramos album is pretty good.

indeed it was.  That was the first time I had ever listened to it.
Winger would be better!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7301 on: December 29, 2017, 02:48:41 PM »
Not shocking that these wouldn't be on your radar.  And yeah... all of the prog-metal or power-metal variety.  The Scardust album is fairly growl-heavy (relatively speaking for my tastes).  There's a possibility you'd tolerate it.   :biggrin:

@ Tim... that Fireforce album was actually kinda disappointing.  Enjoyable enough, but fairly standard stuff.

I will be checking out the Scardust album tonight. Fireforce doesn't reinvent the wheel by any stretch, but as you say, enjoyable enough. Sometimes, I just don't want to think too hard, if you know what I mean.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7302 on: December 29, 2017, 05:27:29 PM »

I will be checking out the Scardust album tonight. Fireforce doesn't reinvent the wheel by any stretch, but as you say, enjoyable enough. Sometimes, I just don't want to think too hard, if you know what I mean.

In that regard, I really liked Galneryus / Ultimate Sacrifice.  Power/speed metal that gave me warm and fuzzies (in the cheesiest of ways) like the first time I heard Rhapsody in 2001

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7303 on: December 29, 2017, 06:36:55 PM »
Just checked out the Scardust. I'll pass. Musically it's not bad, but I'm not really a female vocals guy. If King Diamond was a chick...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7304 on: December 30, 2017, 03:23:51 AM »
Queensryche- Warning

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7305 on: December 30, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »
Just checked out the Scardust. I'll pass. Musically it's not bad, but I'm not really a female vocals guy. If King Diamond was a chick...

I was mildly warm on it... enough that I owe it a second spin - same with Arago.  Gonna do that tomorrow.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7306 on: December 31, 2017, 01:55:23 AM »
Saxon - Dogs of War

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7307 on: December 31, 2017, 06:12:53 AM »
Tears For Fears - Rule The World: The Greatest Hits
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7308 on: December 31, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »

In that regard, I really liked Galneryus / Ultimate Sacrifice.  Power/speed metal that gave me warm and fuzzies (in the cheesiest of ways) like the first time I heard Rhapsody in 2001

Sent them to you in your first roulette. Twenty minute song. They make me smile - it’s all so OTT

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7309 on: December 31, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
Sent them to you in your first roulette. Twenty minute song. They make me smile - it’s all so OTT

First, considering you didn't play in my first roulette, that was a neat trick!   :lol

Second... according to my files, you didn't send them to me.  Perhaps you're thinking of another badass Canadian?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7310 on: December 31, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »

First, considering you didn't play in my first roulette, that was a neat trick!   :lol

Second... according to my files, you didn't send them to me.  Perhaps you're thinking of another badass Canadian?

That’s my shitty memory again. Must have been Tim or Brent then.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7311 on: December 31, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
You weren't in my roulette either! :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7312 on: December 31, 2017, 12:34:58 PM »
What he really needs is to host one!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7313 on: December 31, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
What he really needs is to host one!

Not that shit again. My brain doesn’t work for simple things obviously.  :biggrin:

We’ll see.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7314 on: December 31, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »

Have you tried this Chad?