Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.5  (Read 451449 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: What album are you listening to? v.5
« Reply #6790 on: October 19, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »
Enforcer....got into them when they toured with Dark Tranquility.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6791 on: October 19, 2017, 10:55:39 PM »
 :tup
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6792 on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:47 AM »
Gonna be on new albums today (which are all released today), will be listening to:

Checking out Sons of Apollo so I can weigh in on this whole discussion. I'm going in open minded  :corn
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:35:11 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6793 on: October 20, 2017, 04:59:55 AM »
Harem Scarem- Mood Swings

House of Lords- Demons Down

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6794 on: October 20, 2017, 06:15:22 AM »
I'm going in open minded  :corn

...and coming out traumatized.

:)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6795 on: October 20, 2017, 07:00:47 AM »
Harem Scarem- Mood Swings

House of Lords- Demons Down

Couple of beauties from the early 90s.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #6796 on: October 20, 2017, 07:49:13 AM »
This has been my morning hype music lately.  Just a killer record.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #6797 on: October 20, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »

Skein - Deadweight: Vocal performance is alright but the songwriting is painfully uninspired, and a couple songs are so out of place it's almost ridiculous. Disappointing, considering "Of Wings Unfolding" is pretty much 10/10.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6798 on: October 20, 2017, 10:01:07 AM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6799 on: October 20, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »
Europe - Walk The Earth
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6800 on: October 20, 2017, 11:09:26 AM »

br00tal kvlt  :corn

while i'm here,

cormorant: yeah, this has a ton of stuff i dig. some great moments of groove, some beautiful atmospheric moments, a healthy dose of prog, some really sludgy, ugly moments i love, and some great intensity when it needs to. just an all-around entertaining album. track three is maybe a bit undercooked compared to the rest but it's all solid. don't like it quite as much as some of my other faves from this batch like the hirsch effekt and venenum but it's still among the better releases in my last batch easily
eidola: i think i had a strong kneejerk reaction to this one but this is kind of inconsistent. there's a few tracks i quite like and then a few tracks that honestly just feel like filler. and it's a bit overly melodic without having more harsh moments to break up the flow. it's kinda like, pth-lite, not as technical and with more quieter moments (which is not a bad thing) but the songwriting is a bit inconsistent at times. i think it's worse near the start of the album, most of the stuff near the end is a lot better. still do like this though & i still already have their previous album anyways
ulsect: dunno why i got this tbh. the sound is kinda cool but this album is drab and the songs are monotonous and homogeneous as heck. i can't really pick out any tracks besides the last two at all, and there's just a lot of moments of boring chugging. it's just this block of grey that's too unchanging to ever get interesting. i think i'm done having any faith in dissonant stuff in this vein 'cause it only ever disappoints me :V

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6801 on: October 20, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6802 on: October 20, 2017, 09:26:19 PM »
Last week was the last one consisting of roulette stuff! After 1 year and 6 months after finishing my second roulette, I've finally finished catching up with the stuff I was interested in listening. That means I'm ready for a v3 sometime soon. In the meantime, I'll keep exploring the discographies of artists I already am familiar with.

Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms: Wow this is some very, very unique folk music. Ethereal, mysterious, and some hypnotizing vocal harmonies. It sounds very modern for an album released in 1970. Beautiful stuff.

The Stooges - Fun House: So this is what punk was before it became punk? Like, this is funky as shit, those riffs rock, and there's just a lot of energy here. I like how is slowly descends into madness with each song, ending in some free jazz chaos for the closer. I dig it.

The Dear Hunter - Act IV: Well, ended up liking it more than I thought I would. Wonderful production (if compressed as hell) and isntrumentation, very refreshing take on modern prog without the wank. Probably a bit too theatrical for my taste but am interested in more of their music, will probably go with The Color Spectrum next.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6803 on: October 20, 2017, 10:07:20 PM »

Winger would be better!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6804 on: October 20, 2017, 11:19:38 PM »
All showed up either yesterday or today.

Have only listed to Vuur fully so far. Freakin' love it.

Have to finish listening to Sons Of Apollo.

The Glynn era of Threshold will be this weekend.

Try to fit Mother Love Bone in too. Pearl Jam's Let's Play Two reminded me that I needed to pick this up still.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #6805 on: October 21, 2017, 01:56:33 AM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6806 on: October 21, 2017, 01:58:44 AM »
Iced Earth- Something Wicked This Way Comes

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6807 on: October 21, 2017, 04:06:08 AM »
Not 'listening to', but 'watched' the past few workouts:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6808 on: October 21, 2017, 07:15:51 AM »
Now just finished listening to this week's planned stuff (gotta go for the weekend). Curiously all of my favs this week were from the early to mid 2000s :P

Inter.funda.stifle: Pretty cool kind of artsy, proggy take on alternative metal. Strong melodies and riffs. I dig it. I recall getting their folloup on my first roulette but didn't think much of it. Will have to fix that.

Vheissu: I'm very picky when it comes to anything post-hardcore-related and this is pretty much what I enjoy of that kind of music. Excellent musicianship, lots of creativity, memorable melodies, some feels, and great production despite being compressed as hell.

White Pony: Welp I ended up liking Chino Moreno and The Deaf Tunes. Love this heavy yet dreamy, layered production, and how creative this is for a "Nu Metal" band although that label doesn't seem to apply to this record. This singer is fucking insane too. Will surely explore more of their catalogue.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6809 on: October 21, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6810 on: October 21, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »
going over some of the roulette stuff i've been checking out recently:
chvrches - the bones of etc., there were like one or two other tracks here i kinda liked but two listens through this and it mostly bored me. unfortunate
dream the electric sleep - heretics, starts out good, gets kinda dull for a while, ends a bit better but doesn't really hold my interest enough for me to want to check it out more times.
crippled black phoenix - bronze, scared and alone sounds basically nothing like the rest of the album, which kinda totally kills my interest. like there's a few other tracks here i like but the vocals are generally not very good
nerve end - the ep whatever, call me when you have a full album but this was ok
chaos divine - i forgot the album name, i liked this quite a bit actually. one of the cases where it seemed like the song i sent definitely wasn't the only good track. will definitely relisten & probably purchase.
the ongoing concept - places and handmade, i preferred the new one over handmade surprisingly enough but i may check 'em both out again, the style is decently appealing. handmade felt like more of a chore to get through than places is the big thing, i guess?
gunship - themselves, tech noir is the only song that really works for me, the rest don't have the same atmosphere or strong structure, though again there were a few tracks i kinda liked
amy shark - ep whatever, again call me when you get a full album out but there was only one other track on the EP I liked at all so maybe not

i'm trying to cut down on a lot of the stuff i have to listen to & then i'm gonna get to the rest of the roulette stuff. basically in hardcore listening mode for the moment, since i wanna order before the end of the month & have a loooot to check out, geez

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6811 on: October 22, 2017, 03:59:55 AM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6812 on: October 22, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »

:metal :metal :metal
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6813 on: October 22, 2017, 07:53:39 AM »
Not 'listening to', but 'watched' the past few workouts:

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Four total wins there!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #6814 on: October 22, 2017, 08:28:23 AM »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6815 on: October 22, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
Dream Theater- Once in a Livetime

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6816 on: October 22, 2017, 10:08:13 PM »

Winger would be better!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #6817 on: October 22, 2017, 10:14:08 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6818 on: October 22, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »

i didn't even listen though this all the way twice, it's so damn good i didn't need to. may actually be better than riitiir? hiindsiight is definitely a song to rival the best that album has to offer. i really need to check out in times now too, if this is the direction they've been going i bet i'll love that one too

i feel like these guys write great music but suck at writing songs. these tracks are all so directionless and aimless, rarely building up anywhere and rarely having any memorable hooks or moments, something to identify and ground the songs by. they just... go on for 10+ minutes then end.

but the music itself is quite good? it's more balanced than bridging realms, heavier on the metal but not as heavy on it as lifewoven. it's probably a great balance but man is it hard to tell when the songs are just so unmemorable. i'm admittedly still kind of interested in getting this in spite of that just because there is a lot of good music here but i wish they knew how to write better frameworks for their songs

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #6819 on: October 22, 2017, 11:10:03 PM »
Ghost - Popestar. "I Believe" just started.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6820 on: October 22, 2017, 11:21:41 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #6821 on: October 23, 2017, 01:31:27 AM »
Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods
Toto - Isolation
Mastodon - Cold Dark Place
Peter Gabriel - Us

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6822 on: October 23, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6823 on: October 23, 2017, 11:04:44 AM »
Helloween- Master of the Rings

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6824 on: October 23, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »