Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.5  (Read 450979 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What album are you listening to? v.5
« Reply #6370 on: August 24, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »

This is a cool album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6371 on: August 24, 2017, 09:33:01 PM »
Legends of Metal- Judas Priest tribute volume 1 & 2

This is Your Life- Ronnie James Dio tribute

Holy Dio- Dio tribute

Jorn- Dio

Numbers from the Beast- An All Star Salute to Iron Maiden

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #6372 on: August 25, 2017, 12:28:52 AM »

By far the best Ozzy album. Jake was easily Ozzy's best guitar player and the best song writer he ever had.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6373 on: August 25, 2017, 02:21:05 AM »

if i'm being honest...
this sucked. bad. like, "would not ever listen to again if i hadn't already bought it".
and the biggest & most obvious reason is that this is a metal album performed like a rock album. not a rock album. it's a piss poor stylistic choice that only hampers the songwriting & makes the entire experience feel very lacking in dynamics because the punchy riffs can't hit with any force and the calmer moments don't hold as much weight.
on top of that you have captive, which is the logical endpoint of the congregation's sound - a jumbled, overly complex mess completely lacking in the groove that made this style worth listening to in the first place. and the title title track would've been fairly promising until the percussion comes in with more of the same grooveless prog wank. and then the last milestone is just a clean sun orchestral rendition of the second half of contaminate me (notably, the worst part of the album, and maybe of leprous' discography up to that point)
so no. i'm not gonna be nice at all & i already regret listening to this. i don't see it getting better on relistens, if anything it seems like it's going to get more insufferable. it's legitimately pretentious and it's disappointing coming from a band capable of so much better
but that's just my opinion

Offline LordCost

« Reply #6374 on: August 25, 2017, 04:28:31 AM »
Malina is their best album since Bilateral if you ask me

Online Art

« Reply #6375 on: August 25, 2017, 06:09:35 AM »
I'm listening to the new QOTSA and it sucks...this band is not for me anymore.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6376 on: August 25, 2017, 07:24:37 AM »

I had tried listening to this record years before and it just never clicked.  Yesterday, it did as I sampled it on youtube.  Massive riffs all around, plenty of aggression and still lots of hooks in the vocals.  I just bought my first Sevendust record.   :metal

Online Art

« Reply #6377 on: August 25, 2017, 07:33:01 AM »

if i'm being honest...
this sucked. bad. like, "would not ever listen to again if i hadn't already bought it".
and the biggest & most obvious reason is that this is a metal album performed like a rock album. not a rock album. it's a piss poor stylistic choice that only hampers the songwriting & makes the entire experience feel very lacking in dynamics because the punchy riffs can't hit with any force and the calmer moments don't hold as much weight.
on top of that you have captive, which is the logical endpoint of the congregation's sound - a jumbled, overly complex mess completely lacking in the groove that made this style worth listening to in the first place. and the title title track would've been fairly promising until the percussion comes in with more of the same grooveless prog wank. and then the last milestone is just a clean sun orchestral rendition of the second half of contaminate me (notably, the worst part of the album, and maybe of leprous' discography up to that point)
so no. i'm not gonna be nice at all & i already regret listening to this. i don't see it getting better on relistens, if anything it seems like it's going to get more insufferable. it's legitimately pretentious and it's disappointing coming from a band capable of so much better
but that's just my opinion

Yeah, this record is boring as hell.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6378 on: August 25, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #6379 on: August 25, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »
Keeper :metal
What is that Voyager band? I see it for the first time. Is it worth listening for me if I like Helloween, King Diamond, Annihilator etc ?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6380 on: August 25, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »
definitely not in a category with those bands.  I would call them a melodic progressive metal band with a good bit of electronic influence in their music.  Fairly heavy but very catchy as well.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6381 on: August 25, 2017, 09:39:48 AM »

By far the best Ozzy album. Jake was easily Ozzy's best guitar player and the best song writer he ever had.

That's a bold statement and whilst I don't entirely agree (there's a certain Mr Rhoads and Diary to think about), this may be my favourite Ozzy album and I love Jake's playing on this.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #6382 on: August 25, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »
Listening to the new Queens of the Stone Age album. It's quite good on first listen.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6383 on: August 25, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »
Listening to the new Queens of the Stone Age album. It's quite good on first listen.

Ditto.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6384 on: August 25, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
There's a theme...

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #6385 on: August 25, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
definitely not in a category with those bands.  I would call them a melodic progressive metal band with a good bit of electronic influence in their music.  Fairly heavy but very catchy as well.
Well that's good introduction for a band, I will give it a try. Thanks! :tup

Offline romdrums

« Reply #6386 on: August 25, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6387 on: August 25, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »
That new Steven Wilson thingy.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6388 on: August 25, 2017, 06:50:57 PM »

That's a bold statement and whilst I don't entirely agree (there's a certain Mr Rhoads and Diary to think about), this may be my favourite Ozzy album and I love Jake's playing on this.

The Ultimate Sin is BY FAR the worst of the first four Ozzy albums. I mean, it's not even in the others' league. I truly cannot comprehend the love for The Ultimate Sin.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6389 on: August 25, 2017, 07:42:47 PM »
Oops haven't posted in here for a while so have my previous week (will post this one on Sunday or Monday):

Land Animal:Good stuff but for some reason it's not really doing much for me? Just that most songs sound much the same I guess.

Themes from William Blake's...: Very intriguing album, Ulver gone full industrial rock/metal, with some avant-garde and ambient tracks. Very weird and hard to digest, but I like it.

Ascension
: Nice little EP while this guy and others are writing/recording the new album. It's not mindblowing, some of it feels like Saltillo by the numbers but it's very nice indeed.

Slowdive: Songs really lack diversity and production makes all sound the same. It's a nice sound they've got, but it doesn't really sound inspired, just a safe record.

Siempre es Hoy
: I've only just been getting into some of his music, I like how we went full electronic here. Very memorable, catchy songs, sometimes going a bit more experimental and instrumental, or even featuring some rapping in a song. It's not mindblowing but quite enjoyable.

Amnesiac: Almost finished catching up with Radiohead's discography, very experimental and weird stuff here, recorded at the same time of Kid A. I dig it. All I have left is Pablo Honey and the many EPs and b-side songs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6390 on: August 25, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
yeah land animal isnt' as offensive bad as say so but it's kind of dull & still lacking in emotional potency for me. i listened to it like, twice, and will prob never listen to it again

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6391 on: August 25, 2017, 10:26:43 PM »
I wouldn't even say that Say So is bad, just boring. This is a bit more interesting but just that :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6392 on: August 25, 2017, 10:58:57 PM »
nah say so is awful

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #6393 on: August 26, 2017, 03:22:06 AM »
Hey Say So is awesome, it had some really great songs, like black tar water, counsellor and good girl. I'm not feeling most of Land Animal too much either tho, a lot of songs just don't stick.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6394 on: August 26, 2017, 05:49:46 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6395 on: August 26, 2017, 08:58:52 AM »

The Ultimate Sin is BY FAR the worst of the first four Ozzy albums. I mean, it's not even in the others' league. I truly cannot comprehend the love for The Ultimate Sin.

It wouldn't be the first time you didn't get great (Winger) music (Winger) now would (Winger) it, Tim?  :biggrin:

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6396 on: August 26, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
Judas Priest- Screaming for Vengeance

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6397 on: August 26, 2017, 09:19:51 AM »
The Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery And Imagnation
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6398 on: August 26, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
Hey Say So is awesome, it had some really great songs, like black tar water, counsellor and good girl. I'm not feeling most of Land Animal too much either tho, a lot of songs just don't stick.
counselor is one of the worst imo but the other are are at least okay
eve is utterly abysmal though, so it kind of drags the entire album down with it

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6399 on: August 26, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6400 on: August 27, 2017, 02:15:02 AM »
Fates Warning- Inside Out

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6401 on: August 27, 2017, 02:09:51 PM »

...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6402 on: August 27, 2017, 02:18:41 PM »

Me too.

What did you think of it? I thought it was very good, I like the change of pace in terms of the album having less distortion and screaming. The music is still emotive and powerful. Tracks like Desert, 137 and Waste are my favorites.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6403 on: August 27, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »

What did you think of it? I thought it was very good, I like the change of pace in terms of the album having less distortion and screaming. The music is still emotive and powerful. Tracks like Desert, 137 and Waste are my favorites.
Love it and it's still growing. I'm too glad it's different than Daisy, no matter how much I liked that album. It is still Brand New but fresh, they are not repeating themselves, love that about them. My favorites are Lit Me Up, 137 and Could Never Be Heaven (this one could seriously be my song of the year :hefdaddy )
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6404 on: August 27, 2017, 05:53:09 PM »

i think i posted this one recently but whatever, this is just, really cool?
it's both decently unique, very much prog metal but doesn't really sound like any of the other bands chugging out prog metal right now, and is also just really enjoyable? i look forward to relistening to this way too much

there's actually quite a number of albums in my latest haul that are really goddamn good though. new hirsch effekt, white ward, ex eye, shade empire, super impressed by all of 'em & i don't even have the new cormorant album yet but i know it's gonna be added to that listen when it arrives. took me a while to really get into 2017 stuff i guess but i have more albums to be really excited about beyond qTp now  :lol