Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.5  (Read 451476 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: What album are you listening to? v.5
« Reply #4830 on: March 24, 2017, 08:07:20 AM »
The Plague Within is an awesome album!

Just got thru listening to 'The Plague Within' with good headphones and  :omg:

For those that know the group, which of their other albums are similar to this one?

I dunno, I'd say Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us. That's my favourite of theirs too  :metal

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4831 on: March 24, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4832 on: March 24, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »

Offline Art

« Reply #4833 on: March 24, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »
Symphony X - The Damnation Game, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Twilight In Olympus and V.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4834 on: March 24, 2017, 09:33:32 AM »

Their full discography, really, though I discovered a few songs on this album that I've never paid much attention to.  These guys are so fucking awesome.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4835 on: March 24, 2017, 09:57:33 AM »
W.A.S.P- s/t

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4836 on: March 24, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #4837 on: March 24, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4838 on: March 24, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
Kansas- Best of

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4839 on: March 24, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4840 on: March 24, 2017, 02:13:02 PM »
Soen - Tellurian

I continue to surprised at just how good this is.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4841 on: March 24, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »
Lacuna Coil - Comalies
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4842 on: March 25, 2017, 02:33:33 AM »
 :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4843 on: March 25, 2017, 03:20:46 AM »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4844 on: March 25, 2017, 04:48:46 AM »
Iron Maiden- Best of the Beast

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4845 on: March 25, 2017, 05:38:54 AM »

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4846 on: March 25, 2017, 08:51:15 AM »
Listening to the new Depeche Mode. I'm enjoying it.

My copy just arrived last night so I'm ripping it to the house stereo server and enjoying it a ton! DM just never lets me down...

It's quite dark though, isn't it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4847 on: March 25, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »

yeah... not for me. some songs i outright dislike, a lot of empty space between songs, and not a lot here that really ~appeals~ to me. it's interesting i guess, but... meh

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4848 on: March 25, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4849 on: March 25, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »
Black Sabbath- The Dio Years

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4850 on: March 25, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4851 on: March 25, 2017, 05:34:05 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4852 on: March 25, 2017, 06:14:39 PM »

dreadnought: this is better in every way than bridging realms and i hope they return to a sound more like this on their upcoming album. it's just more dynamic, more atmospheric, more cohesive, and more diverse, really. i dig this, a lot. it's really good. can't believe these guys aren't bigger
flaming row: oh boy so this is too long. duh. but honestly i like most of it. the two big epics are good and most of journey to the afterlife is good too, though the instrumental bits on it tend to lose me. and the two quiet folkier tracks, also really good. burning row has a bit of a tone problem though, and memento mori is just completely disposable. and the story's pacing sucks. they don't set up jacob as a plot point until the second track & then they kill him off halfway through the third track in a verse of all things, followed by spending the rest of that song AND the entirety of journey to the afterlife AND half of pictures all mourning him. the emotional connection is just NOT there for me, even if it is for the characters. and because it spends so much time here i lose the plot and never find it again until the end. that's kind of a nitpick but still. anyways yeah this is good but i also see myself not returning to it that much, it's kind of shallow and really too long
panzerballett: a bit gimmicky and there are a few tracks i could live without (mahna mahna is kind of awful but thankfully short) and the vocals on shunyai could be cut too to no real loss. but they do keep things pretty diverse, every song adds its own flavor and i don't really get bored listening to this until like the last track generally. it's technical metal stuff so i kind of expected to not love it that strongly but i do like this a fair bit, it's unique enough

did these earlier than usual because this is another set i have pretty strong and well-formed opinions on

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4853 on: March 25, 2017, 07:25:56 PM »

One horrible song (Good Enough), but other than that, I am absolutely loving this album. Top 3 of 2017 so far.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4854 on: March 26, 2017, 01:04:18 AM »

menace ruine: okay i just really love this. it's absolutely, utterly oppressive in the best way. i just love that guitar sound so much. and the folky bits give it a bit of flavor too; it doesn't really feel like any track gets lost in the shuffle, though the three tracks between the title track and the closer are admittedly not as strong as the rest, probably due to being less loud. i dunno. i like this though, it's good
Yay. I've still got to check out the whole album myself tho, but really dig the song I showed you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4855 on: March 26, 2017, 01:06:56 AM »
was it you who showed it to me i forget.
i think the opener is my favorite track tbh but it's less weird

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4856 on: March 26, 2017, 02:32:54 AM »
dreadnought: this is better in every way than bridging realms and i hope they return to a sound more like this on their upcoming album. it's just more dynamic, more atmospheric, more cohesive, and more diverse, really. i dig this, a lot. it's really good. can't believe these guys aren't bigger

Yep, you're right. Minuet de Lune is still my favourite song but Lifewoven is the better album. Renaissance gets a close #2 for fave Dreadnought song from me, can't wait for their new album man

Gonna see Gojira and Car Bomb tonight :metal :metal going alone again but this time around I know quite a few people that are going as well. Setlist looks fucking great too, 5 of the 6 Magma songs they play are in the top 6 Magma songs, so I'm not even too bothered by the Magma-heavy setlist
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:59:33 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4857 on: March 26, 2017, 03:37:13 AM »
Dio- The Very Beast of V1

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4858 on: March 26, 2017, 05:13:02 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4859 on: March 26, 2017, 07:13:41 AM »
Rush - Signals
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4860 on: March 26, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »
was it you who showed it to me i forget.
i think the opener is my favorite track tbh but it's less weird
I did show you the title track once in plug and you dug it enough to grab it and check the album out :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4861 on: March 26, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
Yep, you're right. Minuet de Lune is still my favourite song but Lifewoven is the better album. Renaissance gets a close #2 for fave Dreadnought song from me, can't wait for their new album man
really dig lift and deluge myself but immolate's also great.

as are the other three. it's like, honestly i'd take any single lifewoven song over any single bridging realms song, there's just that much of a gap
and it's not like bridging realms is bad, it's still good, just, not nearly as good

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4862 on: March 26, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »
Beautiful day in the UK. Sunny weather album time. A bit earlier than expected 😀

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4863 on: March 26, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »
More stuff I've been jamming throughout the week.

Blue: Pretty interesting, creative synthpop music. I don't really like the retro 80s sounds here tho.
Melody AM: Some damn fine, chill downtempo music. Although some sounds are a little dated, the atmosphere and songwriting are strong enough to make up for it.
No Now: Ohboy, this is like Justin Timberlake on drugs. A bit chaotic and odd, but fuck, this has got tons of energy, catchiness and creativity going on. Really digging it.

Army of Mushrooms: Well, basically them gone full brostep and glitch. And it's actually kinda cool? Not as memorable or creative as CVII or Vicious Delicious but it's just a blast to listen to - U R So Fucked is fucking great.
Velvet Underground & Nico: Uuhh, I kinda get why this has got a cult, iconic status, and I enjoy it, but it's not really stuff I'd return to - just dad rock :P
The Miraculous: More roulette stuff (I swear I'll end up catching with all the albums :lol), and it's pretty epic and dark. The dronier tracks are kinda boring tho, but I'll see how this album grows.

The Dance of the Moon and the Sun: Mmnnn some nice, uhhhh... mix of ambient, drone, tribal, folk, experimental tracks? Pretty atmospheric stuff, but I'm not really big on the drone songs (some take up quite a good portions of this double album), but the folky ones are really nice.
An Empty Bliss Beyond this World: Basically old Dixieland records played and recorded with tons of reverb. Quite a haunting atmosphere tho, love hearing all that vinyl grain and these old tunes like they were underwater. Kinda reminds me of the Bioshock soundtracks.
Pimp Master: Wow, this is some crazy, intense jazz. Yet it's not really meandering nor too chaotic - lots of catchy melodies actually. Kinda reminds me of the Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack but more intense. Ofc they're fucking Japanese.

Modal Soul: Yup I like this sound, although I admit it can get a little monotonous for such a long record. Still, lovely pianos, nice hip-hop beats, some rap and vocal performances here, and quite a lot of jazzy vibes. Ofc more Japanese stuff - guy did the Samurai Champloo OST.
Rook: Some pretty nice Indie Rock/Folk, may send some in Tomislav's roulette :P
Drawing of Sound: Lovely layered guitars, slow paced songs, soft yet intelligible female vocals, very atmospheric and relaxing. Fans of Hammock check this out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4864 on: March 26, 2017, 06:05:31 PM »

Reminds me of the Lost Horizon albums. Not as good, I'm not saying that. But it reminds me of them. I like this album a lot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol