Author Topic: Big 4 bands of 80's rock  (Read 715 times)

Offline WildRanger

Re: Big 4 bands of 80's rock
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 10:21:09 AM »
Big 4 80's bands in general, worldwide (including metal):
U2
Guns N' Roses
Iron Maiden
Metallica

Big 4 bands in the USA excluding metal:
U2
Guns N' Roses
Van Halen
Def Leppard or Motley Crue (I can't stand MC, but they were the most prominent hair band)

Big 4 bands in Europe excluding metal:
U2
Guns N' Roses
Dire Straits
Whitesnake (Scorpions are very close)

Whitesnake were huge in Europe since the beginning of the 80's, while in America they didn't catch on until 1987(S/T album with hits Here I Go Again, Still of the Night and Is This Love), when from a boogie/bluesy hard rock band they turned into another commercial hair metal band to finally crack America.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:26:28 AM by WildRanger »

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Kabbalah
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35:08 AM »
High'n'Dry is ordinary ? -  first I've heard  ;D

"Fairly".  Present poster not-withstanding, it wasn't even in the same league, let alone ball-park as Hysteria/Pyromania

Perhaps in sales but I know I'm not the only one around here who would reach for High n Dry before Hysteria

I love all three albums, but I would absolutely say High n Dry is anything but ordinary.  It didn't have the commercial accessibility of Pyromania or Hysteria.  But the songwriting and playing chops were absolutely there, and unlike most rock albums of that era, it is an album that you can really enjoy from side A, song 1 through the end without feeling like there is anything that is filler. 

Van Halen was the band that EVERYONE had on their text books (remember when  you used to have to cover your textbooks in paper bags?).   Guys loved them, chicks loved them, and they played sold out arenas.   Metallica was the band that the weird kid had as a patch on his jean jacket and you never actually heard any songs from. 

Yeah, I have to agree.  I mean, looking back from NOW, Van Halen is a joke that I thankfully outgrew fairly early on, whereas Metallica are true heavyweights that I can still go back and listen to and feel like they are the bedrock foundation of what metal evolved into.  But looking at the '80s alone, you can't really put Metallica anywhere near a "big 4 of rock" status.  Van Halen really helped define that era of rock.  Notwithstanding the arguable quality of Metallica's first two albums, they were still relatively obscure and underground, especially when compared to Van Halen.  Their fanbase grew tremendously with Puppets, and the Puppets tour started generating buzz about their cred as a legitimate epic live band.  But again, compared to Van Halen, they were still small potatoes.  They didn't start to REALLY take off commercially until AJFA, and that was at the very tail end of the '80s.  Again, that isn't to take away from their status, influence, or anything else.  But as far as the '80s go, Van Halen dominated that decade, whereas Metallica were up-and-comers until very late in that decade. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »
Ironically, Metallica's legendary status today is a testament to their obscurity then.  They were NOT - like Guns - a one-hit wonder or - like Boston - one of those with a legendarily popular debut album.  They were the slow burn band, and they were (at least to me) very different than what I had heard before or what I was listening. 

And this from a guy who lived in college with a guy who slept out to get ...Justice on vinyl day of release.   It blew me away, but it wasn't the kind of music you cranked on your stereo for a college floor party. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 04:27:27 PM »
Big 4 80's bands in general, worldwide (including metal):
U2
Guns N' Roses
Iron Maiden
Metallica

Big 4 bands in the USA excluding metal:
U2
Guns N' Roses
Van Halen
Def Leppard or Motley Crue (I can't stand MC, but they were the most prominent hair band)

Big 4 bands in Europe excluding metal:
U2
Guns N' Roses
Dire Straits
Whitesnake (Scorpions are very close)

Whitesnake were huge in Europe since the beginning of the 80's, while in America they didn't catch on until 1987(S/T album with hits Here I Go Again, Still of the Night and Is This Love), when from a boogie/bluesy hard rock band they turned into another commercial hair metal band to finally crack America.

Wildranger, may I ask a question? How old are you and where are you located in the world?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
Who is your daddy, and what does he do?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2018, 04:30:33 PM »

Papa don't preach.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree.  I mean, looking back from NOW, Van Halen is a joke that I thankfully outgrew fairly early on, whereas Metallica are true heavyweights that I can still go back and listen to and feel like they are the bedrock foundation of what metal evolved into.  But looking at the '80s alone, you can't really put Metallica anywhere near a "big 4 of rock" status.  Van Halen really helped define that era of rock.  Notwithstanding the arguable quality of Metallica's first two albums, they were still relatively obscure and underground, especially when compared to Van Halen.  Their fanbase grew tremendously with Puppets, and the Puppets tour started generating buzz about their cred as a legitimate epic live band.  But again, compared to Van Halen, they were still small potatoes.  They didn't start to REALLY take off commercially until AJFA, and that was at the very tail end of the '80s.  Again, that isn't to take away from their status, influence, or anything else.  But as far as the '80s go, Van Halen dominated that decade, whereas Metallica were up-and-comers until very late in that decade.

I mean you look at 1988, when Metallica released ...And Justice for All, they were on a stadium bill with Van Halen.  The Monsters of Rock Tour in 1988.  They were the 2nd opening band on the bill before Dokken, Scorpions, and Van Halen.  I heard from Tom Morello, when he did a thank you to Metallica for being together for 30 years as a band, that during the LA show in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, that Metallica created such a buzz and fury (which resulted in a small riot and chairs being thrown around) that poor Dokken had to follow that. 

Four years later, they went from 2nd opening band to co-headlining with GNR in the same venue and eventually, they went to headline the LA Coliseum by themselves.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:48:28 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
 I know that both TAC and I saw that tour.  Him in New Jersey I believe and I saw it in Maine. Metallica was on the up at that point but the video for One really got them into the mainstream and then when they did the Black Album everything blew up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2018, 06:15:25 PM »
June 26, 1988
Giants Stadium

Metallica is on stage!

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »
 I was drunk, rain was pouring on me and I stepped on a mustard pack that shot my leg during Metallica. LOL

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2018, 06:22:30 PM »
I was drunk, rain was pouring on me and I stepped on a mustard pack that shot my leg during Metallica. LOL

Good times! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »

Papa don't preach.

Please.  LA is a vacuum.  It's not at all indicative of anywhere else.  I say all that tongue in cheek and with deep respect, but for real, east of the Mississippi?   Van Halen is Ritchie Blackmore and Metallica is Uli Jon Roth.   Van Halen was the band that EVERYONE had on their text books (remember when  you used to have to cover your textbooks in paper bags?).   Guys loved them, chicks loved them, and they played sold out arenas.   Metallica was the band that the weird kid had as a patch on his jean jacket and you never actually heard any songs from. 

This is not a diss, I love Metallica and Hetfield is, to me, the coolest guy in rock (something Roth still wants to be).  So I get Metallica and love them.  But let's not revise history.  Back in 1985 they were a niche band anywhere more than 20 miles from the Sunset Strip.

Exactly.

But hey, if we can argue that a band/artist is in the Big 4 because they were big in my town, then I can put Sammy Hagar in there, since he has always been huge in St Louis, right? ;)

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2018, 06:59:39 PM »

Good times! :lol

oh the story I could tell you later back at my buddies Campground.  Lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2018, 07:01:18 PM »
I hope it doesn't include mayonnaise down your leg. :lol

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2018, 07:08:08 PM »
 I do have a story about that. LOL Would you like to hear about it?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2018, 07:08:52 PM »
I do have a story about that. LOL Would you like to hear about it?

Nah, I'm good, thanks.  :lol

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2018, 04:17:17 AM »
Well too bad for you. LOL

Whole bunch of my friends and I rented a beach house and in the last day there's some food left I took this long sausage dioped it in mayonnaise and zipped the other end in my pants.

All my friends give me a nickname of CK.  Stood for Colossal Kielbasa.  Lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My wife is a cabriolet
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2018, 07:20:01 AM »
Well too bad for you. LOL

Whole bunch of my friends and I rented a beach house and in the last day there's some food left I took this long sausage dioped it in mayonnaise and zipped the other end in my pants.

All my friends give me a nickname of CK.  Stood for Colossal Kielbasa.  Lol

I'll bet it sounded just like that. DIIIIIIIOP!

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2018, 07:45:46 AM »
If only I tried slang.  Lol