Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread  (Read 384466 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread
« Reply #9030 on: January 12, 2017, 11:59:10 PM »
sup
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #9031 on: January 13, 2017, 05:48:03 AM »
Morning

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9032 on: January 13, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »
Why the fuck does my boss need to micro manage my emails?  You need to write it up like this.  Fuck off.  It is out of control right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #9033 on: January 13, 2017, 06:50:56 AM »
Micromanaging is awful.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9034 on: January 13, 2017, 06:59:22 AM »
Good morning.

Why the fuck does my boss need to micro manage my emails?  You need to write it up like this.  Fuck off.  It is out of control right now.

How is he micromanaging them? One of our emails is shared and of the older employees there micromanages it and moves shit around which is incredibly annoying.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9035 on: January 13, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »
Hoping today goes by fast. Victoria and I are heading down to NJ tomorrow. Got us a hotel room and will be seeing a show at Medieval Times. I haven't been there since an 8th grade field trip some 15 years ago. I'll be cheering for the blue knight.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9036 on: January 13, 2017, 07:34:04 AM »
I want to go to Medieval Times. Is the food good?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9037 on: January 13, 2017, 07:44:09 AM »
I LOVE medieval times.  Chino you are headed close to where I work.

The food is great actually.  You get some tomato soup, a half chicken, a potato, and an apple turnover.  Maybe something else too, but it's good and you eat with your hands.  Also you are allowed to call the waitress a wench, although last time I went the waitresses were all young girls and I felt uncomfortable doing that (even though I was drunk and screaming other inappropriate things, somehow that is where I drew the line).

My friends have arranged a couple trips there over the last few years.  We would pregame in the parking lot like a sports event (we would be the only people doing this).  And they server booze but it's very expensive.  So you can sneak in nips and since the soda is free, just make your own drinks secretively.

I also used to go a lot as a kid.  My father would take me on my birthday and in 6th grade we did a field trip there.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9038 on: January 13, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
Good morning.

How is he micromanaging them? One of our emails is shared and of the older employees there micromanages it and moves shit around which is incredibly annoying.

I sent an email to another Site manager about the loads I'm sending up to him to help him.  They are pre sorted so that Wal Mart DC can use them.  I sent the email for the list still to move from our site to his site.  I added what we had for buffer loads and told the other manager our of the 11 I have here I could send 5 to 6 more.

My boss got all confused while he is driving home not really reading the email and started to tell me how I should email.

We never forward our emails to Wal Mart.  they are our business.  We take out the info that we need then type a new email.  He knows this. 

I am frustrated that he feels the need to control even that.  Come on now. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9039 on: January 13, 2017, 07:48:35 AM »
This isn't my frustration, but rather my coworkers'...

My boss and her associate are both very wealthy, socialite businesswomen. As such, they have executive assitants and "people" who do things for them. They also employ people at their businesses whose job it isn't to be their assistants, but are treated as such anyway. This morning, her associate emails a PM here to "arrange an Uber for her at 4:30am tomorrow please and thank you." Now this is not at all in my coworker's job description, nor does she even have the app on her phone, nor is the associate incapable of doing it herself. So she replies that she does not have an Uber account, can't help.

Then the associate emails my boss's executive admin, who is not the associate's assistant but works for the company, and asks her to set up an Uber. Now Alex, the assistant, is having actual techincal troubles getting Uber to work for her, so she emails back that it would probably be best if they arrange the Uber themselves since her account doesn't work. The response..."we look forward to you figuring this out and letting us know the Uber is arranged."

Seriously, just because you're wealthy and employ people does not mean you have to be treated like a toddler who can't dress herself whenever a "mundane" task needs to be completed. :facepalm: I am SO glad I'm not part of that.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9040 on: January 13, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »
Joe: that's the kind of thing my boss would do. She doesn't meddle in my emails so much, but she absolutely sticks her nose into other peoples' commiunications and lectures about the proper way to do things. Of course, the rules don't apply to her, so she sends out mass emails riddled with typos, poor grammar, and inaccuracies, but that doesn't matter because she is she and lives on a different plane of existence than the rest of us.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9041 on: January 13, 2017, 07:50:30 AM »
Good morning.

I sent an email to another Site manager about the loads I'm sending up to him to help him.  They are pre sorted so that Wal Mart DC can use them.  I sent the email for the list still to move from our site to his site.  I added what we had for buffer loads and told the other manager our of the 11 I have here I could send 5 to 6 more.

My boss got all confused while he is driving home not really reading the email and started to tell me how I should email.

We never forward our emails to Wal Mart.  they are our business.  We take out the info that we need then type a new email.  He knows this. 

Is this a frequent thing with him? Is he the type to put his hands in everything?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9042 on: January 13, 2017, 07:50:37 AM »
So wait, what actually is this Medieval Times place? I was thinking Chino was mentioning an outdoor medieval fair type thing, but I've seen nothing like this here. It looks neato.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9043 on: January 13, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »
It's like a Renaissance Faire dinner theater type thing. You pay for dinner and a show and eat while you watch sword fights and jousters etc.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9044 on: January 13, 2017, 07:51:49 AM »
This isn't my frustration, but rather my coworkers'...

My boss and her associate are both very wealthy, socialite businesswomen. As such, they have executive assitants and "people" who do things for them. They also employ people at their businesses whose job it isn't to be their assistants, but are treated as such anyway. This morning, her associate emails a PM here to "arrange an Uber for her at 4:30am tomorrow please and thank you." Now this is not at all in my coworker's job description, nor does she even have the app on her phone, nor is the associate incapable of doing it herself. So she replies that she does not have an Uber account, can't help.

Then the associate emails my boss's executive admin, who is not the associate's assistant but works for the company, and asks her to set up an Uber. Now Alex, the assistant, is having actual techincal troubles getting Uber to work for her, so she emails back that it would probably be best if they arrange the Uber themselves since her account doesn't work. The response..."we look forward to you figuring this out and letting us know the Uber is arranged."

Seriously, just because you're wealthy and employ people does not mean you have to be treated like a toddler who can't dress herself whenever a "mundane" task needs to be completed. :facepalm: I am SO glad I'm not part of that.

I'd figure it out, but it'd be with the lowest rated Uber driver I could find.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9045 on: January 13, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »
It's almost a matter of principle, though. In the time it's taken them to email 2 different people back and forth asking them to figure shit out and arrange it, they could have scheduled 5 different Ubers going to different areas of the city and been done already.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9047 on: January 13, 2017, 08:15:37 AM »
Good morning.

Is this a frequent thing with him? Is he the type to put his hands in everything?

I think he's a nit picker when he is nervous. Whenever he's upset out something else, he nit picks.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9048 on: January 13, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
I think he's a nit picker when he is nervous. Whenever he's upset out something else, he nit picks.

That seems to be a very common trait among boss-type-people.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9049 on: January 13, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »
Also, sweet jeebus...

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/jack-daniels-launches-whiskey-infused-coffee?mbid=social_fb

Yes please.

Also, my family and I went to Medieval Times once several years ago.  It was a lot of fun.  I got a souvenir.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9050 on: January 13, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »
Somehow I've never been, even though there's one probably 20 minutes from me :(
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9051 on: January 13, 2017, 12:31:17 PM »
7.5 hours left of work. . . .

Then three day weekend!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9052 on: January 13, 2017, 12:35:51 PM »
having a bitch of an afternoon at the office, and I'll be on working during the holiday on Monday :(
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9053 on: January 13, 2017, 12:40:02 PM »
having a bitch of an afternoon at the office, and I'll be on working during the holiday on Monday :(

I don't get Monday off either  :tdwn

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9054 on: January 13, 2017, 12:42:06 PM »
I work Monday, as well. Right now things are slow, though I know I could be working on something. I'm just fading out at my desk and wishing I could go home.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9055 on: January 13, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »
The warehouse is closed Christmas and New Years.  That's it.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9056 on: January 13, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »
We have monday off. I've never worked at a job that has this many days off. The standard is 30 days of pto a year plus every possible holiday we are closed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9057 on: January 13, 2017, 01:43:58 PM »
We have monday off. I've never worked at a job that has this many days off. The standard is 30 days of pto a year plus every possible holiday we are closed.

Wow 30 PTO is very generous.

I have Monday off as well.  My coworker in Amsterdam was complaining because he does not have off.  Although same company, different countries have different PTO policies and holidays.  MLK is not a dutch holiday.  But as he was complaining, I decided to look up PTO policies for him... well he gets 6 more days off than us in the US.  So I told him I don't feel bad for him.  I don't think he liked that, but I was kind of annoyed by his bitching when he gets more PTO than the rest of us... plus the dutch work laws are way more generous to the worker than us in the US so he already works significantly less.  Just annoys me when he complains yet has it better than us. /end rant

Anyway, I am looking to enjoy Monday off especially since my brother does not have off so I'll have my house to myself for once.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9058 on: January 13, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »
I get 27 days of PTO if you include the 5 I'm allowed to rollover each year and the 2 floaters we get. I get 7 holidays. I don't get any designated sick time though. That's got to come out of PTO.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9059 on: January 13, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »
Right now I get 17 vacation days (can be rolled over, must be used in the first quarter of next year) and six sick days (can't be rolled over). Everyone is pretty cool about letting us use our sick days for planned absences though, so if there's any time left at the end of the year it's usually vacation days I can roll. I also get to take a day for each holiday I work (someone on the team typically has to work every holiday except Christmas Day and New Year's Day) and I volunteer to work most of them. I'f I'm still here in a year my vacation days will jump up to 22 based on my seniority/tenure, but then they wouldn't increase again for like another two decades.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9060 on: January 13, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »
I get 27 days of PTO if you include the 5 I'm allowed to rollover each year and the 2 floaters we get. I get 7 holidays. I don't get any designated sick time though. That's got to come out of PTO.

Sounds like my place, we get 5 rollover as well.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9061 on: January 13, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »
I think they cap our rollover at ten days, but I wouldn't know since I never have more than a day or two left anyway :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9062 on: January 13, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
Blob, I'm in the middle of the new Grimm episode and of course I'm riveted. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9063 on: January 14, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
Blob, I'm in the middle of the new Grimm episode and of course I'm riveted. 

Just as good as the first episode. I like the constant cat and mouse between Renard and Nick this season. Diana is disturbing. That stick is starting to cause all kinds of problems. I can't wait for the final payoff to the show.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9064 on: January 14, 2017, 06:17:09 AM »
Stick ?

Is it a haunted stick ?

:o