Author Topic: Myung and Mangini @ 2:59 - 3:02 A Savior in the Square  (Read 2984 times)

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
Myung and Mangini @ 2:59 - 3:02 A Savior in the Square
« on: April 11, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Myung and Mangini @ 2:59 - 3:02 A Savior in the Square. That is all, lol.

How many moments are like that on the Astonishing? Anyone want to chime in with their favorite unison moments on this record?

Offline fischermasamune

Re: Myung and Mangini @ 2:59 - 3:02 A Savior in the Square
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:36:06 PM »
I don't know if it's really a unison, but 3:23-3:38 of The Gift Of Music is a very cool moment, the peak of its instrumental part.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
I don't know if it's really a unison, but 3:23-3:38 of The Gift Of Music is a very cool moment, the peak of its instrumental part.

One of the best parts of the song!

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:28:40 AM »
I know exactly the section you're referring to without even having to listen to it. And I completely agree! It's very... well, astonishing.

I'd love to know exactly what JM plays in that bit but I think there's simply too many notes and too much else going on for me to try and tab it out by ear. The fact that I'm lazy doesn't really help either, admittedly.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:00:07 AM »
Myung and Mangini @ 2:59 - 3:02 A Savior in the Square. That is all, lol.
Nice! That's actually my favorite bit of the new album. James sings that part beautifully and that MM drumfill is just so tasty and well-timed. A classic DT moment.

Since it's officially available on YouTube, might as well share it here: https://youtu.be/EOfXhgDuQWc?t=2m53s

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 06:34:43 AM »
I know exactly the section you're referring to without even having to listen to it. And I completely agree! It's very... well, astonishing.

I'd love to know exactly what JM plays in that bit but I think there's simply too many notes and too much else going on for me to try and tab it out by ear. The fact that I'm lazy doesn't really help either, admittedly.

Yeah I know some people who could hear that and instantly play it back or notate it and i'm like ???

I have really good relative pitch but not when it's that fast.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:14:42 AM »
I never noticed you could hear bass in that part until you guys pointed it out. A shame Myung is always buried in the mix ever since Octavarium.

Killer part though. One of the tastiest Mangini fills in his DT career.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 10:25:49 AM »
I never noticed you could hear bass in that part until you guys pointed it out. A shame Myung is always buried in the mix ever since Octavarium.
What about ADTOE and DT12?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »

I can't really hear him much on ADTOE apart from Outcry and parts where he's playing by himself.
DT12 is audible but suffers from a terrible mix and horrible bass tone. It's gotta be my least favourite bass tone ever.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
As said above, I never noticed JMX's part on the fill until it was pointed out.

btw, this is one of my favorite moments on the album, among Three Days ragtime blast beats, A Life Left Behind intro, A New Beginning outro, Moment of Betrayal unison and solo, Begin Again Disney Christmas part,  almost the entire album, and so on...  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 01:06:49 PM »

I can't really hear him much on ADTOE apart from Outcry and parts where he's playing by himself.
DT12 is audible but suffers from a terrible mix and horrible bass tone. It's gotta be my least favourite bass tone ever.

Even though I can't fully embrace the album, his tone on FII was pretty stellar. But yes on DT12 there are some times where I was left scratching my head. I think DT12 album in general is very good at achieving a certain overall sound (I personally really love this album), but its not probably what we as musician/fans would call a "purist" sound for each instrument.

When I saw them live in Boston on the SFAM tour his live sound was UNBELIEVABLE.