Poll

Vote for the song that you want to eliminate!

Tailgunner
1 (4.5%)
Holy Smoke
2 (9.1%)
No Prayer for the Dying
0 (0%)
Public Enema Number One
1 (4.5%)
Fates Warning
1 (4.5%)
The Assassin
3 (13.6%)
Run Silent Run Deep
0 (0%)
Hooks In You
3 (13.6%)
Bring Your Daughter... To the Slaughter
11 (50%)
Mother Russia
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: April 13, 2016, 09:13:42 PM

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - No Prayer for the Dying - Round 1  (Read 1639 times)

Offline 425

No Prayer for the Dying (1990)

After Maiden released their proggiest album ever with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Steve Harris felt that the band should strip down their sound and write a rawer, more simple album. Adrian Smith, dissatisfied with this direction for the band, opted to depart after contributing one song to the eighth Iron Maiden record: Hooks In You, cowritten with Bruce Dickinson. No Prayer for the Dying came out in 1990 and did in fact feature a relatively simple, raw style. The lyrical direction also took a turn away from serious historical and philosophical topics into a mixture of the old style of lyrics and crass political or sexual joke songs. For these reasons, as well reasons of overall quality, most fans consider No Prayer to be one of the weakest Iron Maiden albums and the beginning of a period of decline for the band. However, the album still undoubtedly has at least a few Maiden-worthy cuts, such as the title track or the scaled-back but still-impressive Maiden epic Mother Russia.

I'm going to need to do a relisten to this one before I can vote. I don't even know what I'm coming for first, though I think it's probably Bring Your Daughter or maybe The Assassin. Personally, I don't think there are many bad songs on this album, just a lot of middling tracks and few standouts. I'll listen to the album tomorrow, but I imagine I'll cast my vote for Bring Your Daughter... To the Slaughter
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline CharlesPL

Re: Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - No Prayer for the Dying - Round 1
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:55:09 PM »
Holy Smoke

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:41:47 PM »
Bring Your Daughter
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:05:35 AM »
The assassin

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 12:24:39 AM »
Bring Your Daughter
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Mladen

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:42:50 AM »
The Assassin

Such a terrible song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 05:35:51 AM »
Bring Your Daughter, easily.

The Assassin

Such a terrible song.

BETTER WATCH OUT!!!

it's funny, it's not great but the instrumental section is solid.  It's groovy too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 06:44:58 AM »
Going from Seventh Son to this. Yeah, after seven metal classics, they've had to take a break sometime  :P

Bring Your Daughter
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:53:17 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 09:14:02 AM »
Hooks in You

Could have gone with a few choices here though, this album is not very good IMO so it's easy to pick out the bad songs.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 12:13:06 PM »
Personally, I don't think there are many bad songs on this album, just a lot of middling tracks and few standouts.

This. It's not that the songs are actually horrible or embarassing, they're all just a little bit above meh.

One that I consider however very bad is Hooks in You, one of my very least favorite from the entire Maiden discography. A horrible legacy for Adrian Smith to leave behind, a forgettable song and very silly lyrics, and frankly I thought it would have been voted out first, I'm quite stunned to see all the dislike for Bring your Daughter which I figured could have made it 'til the end.

At least no one, with so many songs getting at least a vote, picked Run Silent Run Deep, that is probably one of the most overlooked songs in Maiden's catalogue, with a different production and a different approach from Bruce (basically in any reunion album) this could have been such a great track.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline 425

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 02:40:47 PM »
One that I consider however very bad is Hooks in You, one of my very least favorite from the entire Maiden discography. A horrible legacy for Adrian Smith to leave behind, a forgettable song and very silly lyrics, and frankly I thought it would have been voted out first, I'm quite stunned to see all the dislike for Bring your Daughter which I figured could have made it 'til the end.

I think the problem people have with Bring Your Daughter is, partly, that it's so, so crass lyrically. Unless you have Bruce's sense of humor, the lyrics can be actively off-putting. It's a pretty explicit sexual song that outright compares sex to murder. The first verse, especially, has several very uncomfortable parts.

That and the song is just musically pretty creepy. It slinks around, musically, with Bruce snarling out the vocal lines. It's stylistically pretty un-Maiden-ish.

I don't think it's a bad song. It's not something I want to listen to often, but it's decent musically and can be fun, if you're okay with the lyrics. But I can easily see why someone would outright hate it, and it's going to be something I vote for very early on because I would rather listen to most of the other songs on this album.

I'm pretty sure I like Hooks In You better.

At least no one, with so many songs getting at least a vote, picked Run Silent Run Deep, that is probably one of the most overlooked songs in Maiden's catalogue, with a different production and a different approach from Bruce (basically in any reunion album) this could have been such a great track.

I agree with this. Run Silent Run Deep is actually a really awesome song that would not really be that much out of place on an 80s Maiden album. Definitely one of the best ones here.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 03:29:44 PM »
That and the song is just musically pretty creepy. It slinks around, musically, with Bruce snarling out the vocal lines. It's stylistically pretty un-Maiden-ish.

That's because it isn't a true IM song, like If Eternity Should Fail, it was a Bruce solo song that Steve wanted IM to do. 

Offline 425

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 03:32:12 PM »
Yeah, I remember that being the case. Good choice in the case of If Eternity Should Fail,  ??? choice in the case of Bring Your Daughter. Especially since Bruce had already released his own version.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 03:35:13 PM »
Yeah, I remember that being the case. Good choice in the case of If Eternity Should Fail,  ??? choice in the case of Bring Your Daughter. Especially since Bruce had already released his own version.

Well it's a crappy song, but it was a big hit for IM actually.  So hard to say it was the wrong decision even if the song sucks in reality.

(it was the only No1 hit in the UK for IM  ???)

Offline 425

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 06:08:21 PM »
The main reason it was #1 is because they released it on Christmas Eve and all the fans went and bought it the week after Christmas, which is not exactly a high point for record sales. Basically, they intentionally released it at a time when it would be likely to chart high. It certainly didn't chart that high because it was a smash hit.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 11:30:41 PM »
FateZ Warning..

:neverusethis:
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline 425

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 01:37:23 PM »
I ended up voting for Bring Your Daughter. I actually think all the songs on the album are at least decent, but this one weirds me out and I would probably prefer for it not to be on the album.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 04:21:59 PM »
There's so much to choose from! :lol

BYD..TTS gotta go.  There are actually some really great songs on this, and really only a few duds.  But oh how they dud.