Author Topic: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Kip Winger approved!  (Read 98131 times)

Offline Lowdz

Went away camping with my boys safe in the knowledge I wouldn't be needed for a few days  :rollin

Nice pick there Chad. Never heard of Shaft of Steel. Nice song but I couldn't listen to an album of it these days.

Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry Kade, won't be able to send today. You'll get my song in the next 28 hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
sending tonight
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
No worries guys, I only have Brents songs so far so if I could get everyone's in in the next 24 hours from now that way I can have them for the weekend.  I need to wrap this up two weeks from yesterday so will get shit moving quickly.

Cheers.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sending tonight! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Got Brent and Chad, just need Jon, Ruslan and Mason.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
If I wasn't playing against Brent, I would've just sent Mark Knopfler and enjoyed my 6-7 points, but I've got to try to beat him. Sending really soon.

Edit: sent a question for you via PM. Got my songs ready, just waiting for a confirmation.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:28:32 AM by Evermind »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I sent, along with a question.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If I wasn't playing against Brent, I would've just sent Mark Knopfler and enjoyed my 6-7 points, but I've got to try to beat him.

I'll take that as a compliment :lol

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone's in.  Listening will commence and will aim for results on Wednesday.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Some solid stuff again this round.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Finals Round 3 listening
« Reply #1132 on: June 05, 2016, 04:25:31 PM »
Apparently Kade stopped responding to my PMs. In fact, this is what he sent me:

You're not even playing anymore, mate.

I figure my submission for this round was fitting, so I'll just post it here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3vL68EWI4

;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: June 05, 2016, 09:50:04 PM »
Apparently Kade stopped responding to my PMs. In fact, this is what he sent me:

You're not even playing anymore, mate.

I figure my submission for this round was fitting, so I'll just post it here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3vL68EWI4

;D

:lol

I didn't dig that one as much as the new one you posted in the other thread.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: June 05, 2016, 09:52:46 PM »
Just posting the bands that were submitted and results will come tomorrow.  Want to get this wrapped up within 7 days. 

Seems like everyone is all rouletted out too.

Echoes
Sanctuary
Pharaoh
Dimension Act

Yep, two people sent the same band.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: June 05, 2016, 09:57:51 PM »
I'm surprised Sanctuary wasn't banned - possibly a good choice there.   I'm guessing Dimension Act would be the only one likely to get sent twice.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: June 05, 2016, 10:01:10 PM »
I'm surprised Sanctuary wasn't banned - possibly a good choice there.   I'm guessing Dimension Act would be the only one likely to get sent twice.

Sanctuary was borderline.  I don't own anything by them, but obviously I know what they are about.  I've heard a couple of songs here and there over the years but I just never got around to fully getting into them, much like Conception actually.  Having heard them and not getting into them and banning them means they just slipped by or could mean they didn't prick my ears enough to look into more.  This might change that.

I'm guessing Dimension Act would be the only one likely to get sent twice.

Nope.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: June 05, 2016, 10:28:46 PM »
I didn't send Dimension Act this time. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: June 06, 2016, 05:33:36 AM »
Looking at the Dimension Act cover, I've definitely seen them pimped around here quite a lot.  Pretty sure Chad has recommended them a few times to me but just a band I never got around too.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: June 06, 2016, 06:34:13 AM »
Their best track is 33 minutes long epic, so I discarded them. The whole album is pretty great though, Chad got me into them and he also provided the link where I was able to get the physical CD for like $4 not counting shipping.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1140 on: June 06, 2016, 08:52:24 AM »

They were on my possible list.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1141 on: June 06, 2016, 08:54:43 AM »
Sanctuary or Dimension Act?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1142 on: June 06, 2016, 02:22:46 PM »
...and I'm pretty sure I got Chad (and everyone else) into Dimension Act.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: June 06, 2016, 03:08:26 PM »
Their best track is 33 minutes long epic, so I discarded them. The whole album is pretty great though, Chad got me into them and he also provided the link where I was able to get the physical CD for like $4 not counting shipping.

That's right, he pimped a site which had obscure prog metal for dirt cheap and this was one he gave a shout out too. 

I'm gonna try and get results there today so the top two can get an EP together and hopefully I can have it in the next couple of days.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1144 on: June 06, 2016, 03:11:48 PM »
Yup, preparing my EP right now! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: June 06, 2016, 03:18:04 PM »
Yup, preparing my EP right now! :lol

You're more than welcome to still send me one, I'd be keen to hear it.

Which Hangar album is the best?  I'm thinking the one that your song came from.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1146 on: June 06, 2016, 03:59:13 PM »
Which Hangar album is the best?  I'm thinking the one that your song came from.

Yeah, I'd go with that one. After the DT drummer auditions I checked them out. The Reason For Your Conviction and Infallable were the only two that Amazon had. They have some earlier albums, but I haven't bothered to hunt them down.

Infallable isn't quite as heavy TRFYC. TRFYC is awesome!! :metal

I was considering sending you this track from Infallable:
The Infallable Emporer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYrCf7L67gM

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: June 06, 2016, 06:00:56 PM »
Very nice again Tim.

A shame these sorts of killer bands are so hard to get actualy copies of their music.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Finals Round 3 Results!
« Reply #1149 on: June 06, 2016, 07:03:04 PM »
Finals Round 3 Results!

Matchup 1 - bl5150 vs Evermind

bl5150 - Pharaoh - In Your Hands/The Spiders Thread (Resprise) & Cover Your Eyes And Pray vs Evermind - Ehoes - Unfair & Epilogue/Rude Awakening

bl5150 - Pharaoh - Cover Your Eyes and Pray

Brent sends some more solid heavy power metal.  This band features Tim Aymar, mostly known from the album he did with Control Denied.  He has a great gritty voice which suits the music well.  This song really reminded me of a band but I still can't quite put my finger on it.  Reminds me of Iced Earth at times, but not the main one I had in mind.  This one was a bit of a grower but I really liked it the more I listen, great chorus.  Again, this is another band well suited to my liking.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Instrumentation and Vox - 9.0
Structure and Songwriting - 8.5
Replay Value - 9.0
Would I Purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.8

bl5150 - Pharaoh - In Your Hands/The Spiders Thread (Reprise)

This one I liked quite a bit more than the first one.  This one is slightly more uptempo with more energy.  Consistent style between the two songs but I like this one more.  Great riffs and guitar melodies in there too.  The atmosphere I liked in this one too, and the chorus was an absolute winner.  It was stuck in my head and something I was singing along too right off the bat.  The solo towards the end was especially impressive, and well performed.  The Spiders Thread Reprise, even though I don't know the original song, worked really well here as a closer.  Great band.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Instrumentation and Vox - 9.5
Structure and Songwriting - 9.0
Replay Value - 9.5
Would I Purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.2

Average Score - 9.0

Evermind - Echoes - Epilogue/Rude Awakening

Never heard this band before but not sure why.  Don't even think I've seen them mentioned around here much considering they are some solid prog metal.  Epilogue starts things off really nicely with a great 3 minute instrumental opener which I appreciated.  Rude Awakening starts off pretty somber and the vocals were a bit different to what I was expecting, but I must say the vocals are fantastic, great singer this guy.  Things get a bit more standard prog metal when things get get going in the chorus but this is very powerful.  The singer sort of reminded me of Chris Cornell is a weird way in his higher register.  Nice atmosphere throughout, although I was sort of expecting things to pick up a little, that the impression the song was giving off but it never did.  That's not a big thing but would have liked a small shift in pace.  The little atmospheric instrumental section was great and again the chorus is excellent.  Solid.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Structure and Songwriting - 8.0
Replay Value - 8.5
Would I Purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.6

Evermind - Echoes - Unfair

This one started off with the pace that I thought Rude Awakening might have eventuated into.  Again I really like these guys vocals, very strong.  Solid and standard as far as the music is concerned but everything here is well done.  The chorus here again is pretty strong and I enjoyed it the more I listened.  The solo was nice here and I liked the pace directly after the solo going into the keyboard solo.  Not much more to say, but really there's nothing really new here, but I can't realyl fault anything, perhaps just didn't blow me away like others.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Replay Value - 8.5
Would I Purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.8

Average Score - 8.7

Brent gets the half a point here again, great band.

Brent - 9.5 (with bonus half point)
Ruslan - 8.7

Chad also sent me this band.  He sent Epilogue/Rude Awakening also, but his second song was Leaf Motif.  I'm not going to do a writeup, but the etra track showed me that this band is really cool and something that deservse a listen.  Leaf Motif had a very strong DT influence and I liked it just a little bit more than Unfair.  Even though it wasn't as heavy, one would think this one would be rated less, but the well done DT influences made me rate it a solid 9, great song this one.

Chad Average score - 8.8

Matchup 2 - Dr. DTVT vs Big Hath

Dr. DTVT - Dimension Act - Cosmic Chaos & Industrial Evilution vs Big Hath - Sanctuary - Future Tense & Frozen

Dr. DTVT - Dimension Act - Cosmic Chaos

As discussed, I've seen this band mentioned a few times and Chad in particular I think giving them a good wrap.  This really kicked my ass from the get go.  There's nothing new here and nothing I haven't heard before, but I think this was powerful and well done prog metal.  Things showed good sings from the start and I thought the vocalist had a really interesting voice, yet strong and I liked it.  The structure was good and was refreshing that this was solid prog metal but well written and there wasn't mindless soloing for no reason.  Well written and terrific song indeed.

Appeal of Style - 9.5
Structure and Songwriting - 9.5
Replay Value - 9.0
Would I Purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.2

Dr. DTVT - Dimension Act - Industrial Evilution

This one started pretty much with the same melody as Cosmic Chaos.  If it wasn't the same, things were close enough, but that sort of thing doesn't phase me, so I knew I was getting another solid tune.  Got heavier too a minute and a half in which was brilliant.  Not gonna say much more on this one, wasn't as instant as Cosmic Chaos but close enough and quality was just as strong.  Nice guitar solo here too, this band really doesn't overdo the technical side of it which is great.  I think I should get this album for sure.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Replay Value - 9.0
Would I Purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.0

Average Score - 9.1

Big Hath - Sanctuary - Future Tense

Sanctuary are a band I know the name pretty well obviously since I love Nevermore but besides hearing a song or two just never really checked them out.  This one is obviously from one of their first two albums and it was actually funny to hear Dane's voice on this one.  Definitely a young and not as matured voice but was still instantly recognizable.  Get a bit of an old school thrash vibe and just a definite strong American metal vibe.  I liked this.  It didn't blow me away but there was enough here for me to enjoy and check out more.  The production I will say let it down a little but that's nothing major.  I loved the dark atmosphere and really if you're a fan of Dane, you'd liked this, no reason not too.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Structure and Songwriting - 8.5
Replay Value - 8.5
Would I Purchase - 9.0

Score - 8.8

Big Hath - Sanctuary - Frozen

This one is obviously from their latest one as teh production standards are much higher.  This really is just a Nevemore track pretty much.  Great thrashy intro with nice solos and the verses were solid.  If anything I thought the chorus dragged the tempo down just a bit, but it's not a big thing.  Yeah, this is heavy, strong, great vocals and sounds like it would be a good fix for the lack of Nevermore.  I'll definitely check out these guys three albums.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Replay Value - 9.0
Would I Purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.0

Average Score - 8.9

Mason just edges out Jon here.  It was close but I thought teh Dimension Act was really solid and just edged the Sanctuary.  But both were awesome.

Dr. DTVT - 9.6 (With bonus half point)
Big Hath - 8.9

Rankings after Round 9 (Finals Round 3)

1. bl5150 - 81.3
2. Dr. DTVT - 80.3

3. Big Hath - 79.5
4. Evermind - 78.5
5. jingle.boy - 77.8

So there we go, it's Brent vs Mason with a single point advantage to Brent.  Thank you so much to Chad, Ruslan and Jon, all your submissions have been most enjoyable and welcomed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: June 06, 2016, 07:07:15 PM »
So Brent and Mason.  Basically 25-30 minutes of music with however many artists you want.  You can also use the same band twice if you wanted to submit two songs from the same artist.  You can put them all in one file, or you can send the tracks seperately, I don't really mind.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Finals Round!
« Reply #1151 on: June 06, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »
looks like you forgot jingle.boy's results?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: June 06, 2016, 07:19:21 PM »

There's a note under Evermind's results re Chad's songs.

I have some songs set aside in case I needed them for an EP , so should have it all to you before the night is out Kade.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: June 06, 2016, 07:19:45 PM »

They're in there.  He got an 8.8.  He sent Echoes also, but didn't go too much into it.  The second song he sent gets a 9, giving him an average of 8.8.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: June 06, 2016, 07:20:33 PM »

There's a note under Evermind's results re Chad's songs.

I have some songs set aside in case I needed them for an EP , so should have it all to you before the night is out Kade.

Not gonna lie Brent, I'm expecting some amazing music from you, no pressure or anything.  ;D