Author Topic: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Kip Winger approved!  (Read 98156 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks fellas, pretty much what I figured.  Was looking at 5 days so results Sunday evening probably.  I'm not usually around a computer from Saturday morning to Sunday evening, so we'll see.

This first round playlist is 75 minutes.  I think I underestimated the amount of time would be taken up in the tunes with this many players.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I can't really improve on either of those answers, go with that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Aiming for as many listens as I can in the 5 day period to be honest.  I think I will put some thoughts up in the next couple of days, and then just gonna post the songs and you guys can have fun from there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I predict Kade will :omg: when he hears what I sent.  ;D

I'm not sure why you sent this to be honest.  And that has nothing to do with the quality of the song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
One listen down.

All I'm going to say is that half of the submissions left a very strong first impression and the rest need more listens.  Lots of variety too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to seeing what Tim has put you through  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Native Construct left a very strong first impression in my roulette too. I strongly disliked it. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
 :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Lots of variety too.
Rock and metal? :neverusethis:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Native Construct left a very strong first impression in my roulette too. I strongly disliked it. :lol
screw you :lol

When's your birthday? I might consider sending you my copy of Quiet World, you need it more than I do.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Keep it - my birthday was two months ago. :lol I think you even congratulated me in the roulette thread.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Oh, that's right :facepalm: anyway I didn't even know Native Construct was available after checking the magnitude of that list, but still I probably wouldn't send it.

When the songs are revealed I'm pretty sure you'll be the first to know which one is mine though, should be pretty obvious.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm not sure why you sent this to be honest.  And that has nothing to do with the quality of the song.

I sent it because you know how I feel about that um..style. But that band is the one that I've ever made an exception for.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I sent it because you know how I feel about that um..style. But that band is the one that I've ever made an exception for.

That's interesting then Tim, good to know. 

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Chris Farley was awesome!

Fat guy in a little coat!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just one of the most classic movies ever IMO.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I sent metal, but not rock

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Just one of the most classic movies ever IMO.

Top 5 comedy movie in the jingle.boy books.  Black Sheep is pretty damned good too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Sounds like a suck score is on its way! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I feel much more confident about my own submission now :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Sounds like a suck score is on its way! :lol

That statement doesn't reflect anything, just didn't expect it from you, as you said.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess I should breakdown on how I'm looking to score the songs.  Songs will be out of ten, but instead of just sticking a number between 1 and 10 on it, I feel the songs should have some criteria that it should be ranked on.  So there will be 5 things I will be rating on;

Appeal of style - Everyone can see from my list on my preferred styles.  This will be a mark out of 10, where shouldn't really be a great variety in scores unless something goes really wrong.  A 1-4 would be someone sending me Celine Dion or Toby Keith.  5-6 would be something out of my style but had elements I would find interesting enough.  7-10 would obviously be bands that are like on my list.

Instrumentation and vox - Being a guitarist, this is one area I look at closely.  This is a general score of the appeal of the music, it's execution and style of vox.  What I think of the vox would probably have a big part of the score and of course the ability and musicianship also. 

Songwriting and structure - This basically means if it holds my interest.  The length, how each section flows and the score would be affected if some sections worked better than others, or if sections were repeated too much, or sections or the song itself overstaying its welcome.  Melodies may come into it.

Replay value - Does this song get stuck in my head?  Do I want to go back and listen to this song again or check out more from the band?  I think this is a big thing.  Does this song have enough depth, chops and the songwriting to make me want to play it again?  Melodies obviously would have a big part of this.

Would I purchase the album based on the song - This has become a big thing over the last couple of year.  I use to buy everything and anything I could get my hands on, but as you get older times change and priorities change.  So these days, I'm pretty picky and have resorted to online listening before purchasing.  I still purchase a bit but nothing like I use to.   So that's something I want to rate on.  1-3 means I wouldn't bother wasting money on it, 4-6 would probably mean it's not on my radar but if I saw it in the clearance bin, I'd give it a go. 7-9 would mean I would probably put it on the list and purchase it.  A 7 would mean if I saw it instore I'd pick it up, whereas a 9 would probably have me ordering it.  A 10 would mean I have already ordered the album before posting.

That gives a score out of 50, where then I can divide by 5 and get a score out of ten.  So scores, could go betwee the full and half marks.  for example;

Style - 7
Instrumentation and vox - 8
Songwriting and Structure - 6.5
Replay value - 7
Would I purchase - 7

35.5/50 which equates to 7.1/10.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:50:35 PM by wolfking »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
sounds like you will need either a wizard or willard to figure out those scores

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yikes!
I feel like I'm back in college having a paper graded.

Hypothesis-check
Supporting arguments- check
Conclusion-check
Bibliography -check (These are a list of books we used, before there were interwebz) ;D
Footnotes-check

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Probably just a tip calculator.

Yikes!
I feel like I'm back in college having a paper graded.

Hypothesis-check
Supporting arguments- check
Conclusion-check
Bibliography -check (These are a list of books we used, before there were interwebz) ;D
Footnotes-check

I know it's a bit much, but sometimes, I would like to know a bit more in depth on why I got the score that I did, and points that made it excel or let it down.  Could keep the scores nice and tight or let the guys who nail it get a nice lead.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

So you take tips??

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I'm not older and I still do online listening before purchasing because I like to imagine I value my time, so  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Buying cd's was like an addiction for me, so the amount I have cut it back is quite unreal for me. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

So you take tips??

What about Kips ? :eyebrows:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :rollin

Wolfkip!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

So you take tips??

What about Kips ? :eyebrows:

I'm surprised you feel the need to ask that question!  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au