Author Topic: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Kip Winger approved!  (Read 99301 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Round 1 RESULTS!!
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2016, 05:25:35 AM »
With the scoring method I'm pretty happy with how I'm rating things.  I like the tenth of a decimal point and to me it's accurate.

I will say though, I think I was being a bit kind to the songs I didn't really like, if I have to be perfectly honest.  If I was doing a straight scoring method on the songs, a few would be quite a bit lower I think.  Just want to warn that in coming rounds I might be a bit harsher and if there is something I don't dig, the score could be lower.  But t he criteria stays though and will run with that the whole way.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2016, 05:51:21 AM »
With the scoring method I'm pretty happy with how I'm rating things.  I like the tenth of a decimal point and to me it's accurate.

I will say though, I think I was being a bit kind to the songs I didn't really like, if I have to be perfectly honest.  If I was doing a straight scoring method on the songs, a few would be quite a bit lower I think.  Just want to warn that in coming rounds I might be a bit harsher and if there is something I don't dig, the score could be lower.  But t he criteria stays though and will run with that the whole way.

:tup  Anyone who can't put on their big-boy panties and accept that others might not like the songs they love shouldn't join a roulette.  So far, no problems with this group.  Although, I will say this - things would be a lot easier if everyone just liked what I liked as much as I like it.  K?   :lol

Honesty is the best policy.  I know in the past I often wonder why someone writes 'didn't really like it man', and then gives a score of 7/10.  I had a ton of respect for people giving out 3s and 4s - even when it was me getting those scores.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2016, 05:54:16 AM »
I agree on all of the above, Chad :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2016, 05:58:49 AM »
I think I was just feeling out my scoring system but I'm still happy with the scores even with the tunes I didn't like.  There was still things appealing about them and based on my criteria, they still had positives and things to like. 

But now people can see a bit clearer on what floats my boat and what doesn't, things can get a bit more hard hitting I think, if needed.  Saying that, I might get 13 killer tunes that all get over 8.

Honesty is the best policy.  I know in the past I often wonder why someone writes 'didn't really like it man', and then gives a score of 7/10.  I had a ton of respect for people giving out 3s and 4s - even when it was me getting those scores.

I did think that with the songs under 8, hence my thoughts and putting this out there.  But as I said, still components to like, but again, I think I will streamline it and if I really didn't like it, 5's or lower could be on the cards.  If I ain't gonna replay it or buy it, I guess the 4-6 is worthy.  I could have done a more weighted scoring system and given more weight to replay value and if I'd purchase or not, but I still think it's important to give a piece of work credit in areas that are done well.

Bring on round 2.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2016, 06:02:41 AM »
I hear ya... and I was the same my last time around.  Even for songs that I didn't really 'like', and would not go back to in the future, there were still some reasons to enjoy them.  For me, there's a difference between not really liking something, and actively disliking it - which warrants a >5 score
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2016, 06:06:06 AM »
Part of these games is figuring out what the persons likes and dislikes are. That's part of the scoring.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2016, 06:19:52 AM »
Honesty is the best policy.  I know in the past I often wonder why someone writes 'didn't really like it man', and then gives a score of 7/10.
Partially guilty.

I do find redeeming qualities in a lot of songs, and I can enjoy a whole lot of music from different genres if the right band/song is picked, but I rarely actively dislike something, especially in a roulette where people seemed to have kind of figured me out (not entirely sure about this). So a lot of 'round losers' ended up in the good but not great category, these ranged from 6 to 7.5 approx.

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2016, 06:45:54 AM »

Lonestar - Destrage - Where the Things Have No Colour

Sorry RJ, this song was decent enough, just didn't match most of the other songs.  It still deserves a mid 7 score but a song that didn't really get my interest.  Wasn't a fan of the vocals at all really, but the melodies were pretty good still, and kept the score up due to the catchiness.  It didn't wow me but the best part was the wonderful guitar solo.  Great moments here and it almost makes me want to check the band cause the chops they have here are excellent.  If it wasn't for that solo the score would be a lot lower.  A decent and cool enough song, again just doesn't match the others.

Don't apologize dude, you can't help it if you don't know what good music is. :p

I'll send something after work.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2016, 07:26:37 AM »
Awesome! I'm definitely satisfied with getting the second place in this crowd. I had a feeling this song would be right up your alley.

I'll send something this evening, after I'm done with my roulette.

Edit:

I've seen the name float around here once or twice so it's not a surprise that this band showed up early on. The intro set things up nicely and I could tell I was in for some nice cheesy heavy metal.  The main riff gets me going quite a bit and then vocals are right up my alley.  This is like some Dream Evil or Hammerfall but with a harder edge which I like. The chorus is cheesy as hell but one that got stuck in my head and actually kept popping up throughout the day.

This is the reason I love this roulette so much already. I can get away with sending cheesy stuff here. Most of the people tend to cut my points like in half for the cheese, but here I can finally pay absolutely no attention to cheesiness. Some people think the cheese is a bad thing... I'd say it's awesome when executed properly.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »
wolfking, if you're worried the album is too samey, go give a listen to Firelight and put those fears to rest  :lol
also, sweet, not in last place. this is a fine start

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2016, 09:55:08 AM »

shut up :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »
you're going to see hell in this roulette   :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2016, 12:42:04 PM »
you're going to see hell in this roulette   :tup

FYI, Circus Maximus is banned.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »
that's fine, as i only know one circus maximus song decently well

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »
FYI; it was a reference to the song I sent in round 1
Squ

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »
FYI; it was a reference to the song I sent in round 1

Me??  Not so... it was in reference to the 'unleash hell' comment... Gladiator ... Glory of the Empire.

Jokes suck when they need to be explained.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2016, 12:51:16 PM »
agent fresco - see hell

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2016, 01:01:59 PM »
agent fresco - see hell

Ah, got it now

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »
Hmm. Somewhere in the middle, I'll take that. I like the vocals more than you - I prefer the rougher style than the pink and fluffy.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: April 17, 2016, 01:54:56 PM »
I used Lethal for both Chad and Tim's roulette.  Classic QR vibe on that disc.

Round 2 sent!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #265 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »
Jokes suck when they need to be explained.

yeah, they do. sorry :biggrin:
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2016, 02:56:40 PM »
Don't apologize dude, you can't help it if you don't know what good music is. :p

:lol  It was alright as I said, the solo was great. 

This is the reason I love this roulette so much already. I can get away with sending cheesy stuff here. Most of the people tend to cut my points like in half for the cheese, but here I can finally pay absolutely no attention to cheesiness. Some people think the cheese is a bad thing... I'd say it's awesome when executed properly.

Thanks mate.  Yeah, I don't understand why some people just write something off due to the cheese factor.  But really, this song wasn't that cheesy compared to other stuff, it's just good fucking heavy metal that's not taking itself seriously at all.  It's not like a Rhapsody style cheese, it's hard to explain, but I love the song.

wolfking, if you're worried the album is too samey, go give a listen to Firelight and put those fears to rest  :lol

I definitely want to check it out, and mainly to support a band from my area too, of course.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »
So I decided to send all the songs in other roulettes tomorrow, but I already knew what I'll be sending in yours, so here we go, sent.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Round 1 artists revealed.
« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2016, 05:36:30 PM »

Big Hath - Moon'Doc - Watching Your Way

Well well, what the fuck do we have here?  Who is this band and where the fuck have they been all my life? 

they were in Ben and Brent's podcast if you'd listened  ;D

Happy enough with my result (which I will call a 9  :biggrin:  )

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: April 17, 2016, 05:43:08 PM »

y been all my life? 

But that was soooooooooo long ago.   :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: April 17, 2016, 05:49:05 PM »

y been all my life? 

But that was soooooooooo long ago.   :biggrin:

;D :blush

As soon as I get back to Melbourne it'll be a priority (amongst 50 others  :biggrin: )
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #271 on: April 17, 2016, 06:37:10 PM »
definite hat tip to Brent on Moon'Doc.  He played a song off their second album in one of the podcasts and as soon as I heard it I jumped head first into their 3 album discography.  The song I sent was off their third album which is freaking amazing.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: April 17, 2016, 07:00:13 PM »
definite hat tip to Brent on Moon'Doc.  He played a song off their second album in one of the podcasts and as soon as I heard it I jumped head first into their 3 album discography.  The song I sent was off their third album which is freaking amazing.

If I could have sex with a song, I'd have sex with this one.

Tough breaks for Brent Big Hath stealing a win from under his nose here.  I should give Brent bonus points in introducing Jonathan to it.  :tup

If it was the first podcast Brent, I'm pretty sure I didn't ever go back and listen to that one.  Mainly for roulette purposes.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: April 17, 2016, 07:14:49 PM »

Moon'Doc is looking forward to having sex Kade  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: April 17, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
 :rollin

Damn, he's no Kip Winger.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #275 on: April 17, 2016, 07:31:28 PM »
Part of these games is figuring out what the persons likes and dislikes are. That's part of the scoring.

Part of these gameks is actually playing, ya wuss! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: April 17, 2016, 09:23:10 PM »

Part of these gameks is actually playing, ya wuss! ;D

Well, looks like you've got a case of the Shmeglands already.  Might want to take something for that, son.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #277 on: April 17, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »
I felt obliged to fill a gaping hole in your banned list. Sent.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: April 17, 2016, 10:30:21 PM »
I felt obliged to fill a gaping hole in your banned list. Sent.

Yeah, but that hole is filling up quick... especially for you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: April 17, 2016, 10:36:08 PM »
I will refrain from any one liners here I think  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au