Author Topic: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Kip Winger approved!  (Read 99094 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Finals Round!
« Reply #1155 on: June 06, 2016, 07:24:03 PM »
i guess that's what i get for skimming then  :corn

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1156 on: June 06, 2016, 07:25:33 PM »
Well I think I have managed to fit in Stefan, Melissa, Jason, Kylie and Guy within the 30 mins so you're in for a kick ass listen. ;)

I won't be taking huge risks here but I think I have a very consistent batch of obscure songs that cover everything from AOR to power/classic metal.   The songs I have come to 32 mins , so I might have to send you a bonus track :lol  Just need to decide which one doesn't get a score.   I have set aside a lot of my shorter wolfkip approved songs just in case I needed an EP so as I could cram it with 7 songs
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1157 on: June 06, 2016, 07:33:42 PM »
Do you know what you're doing with unzipping files etc... Kade.?   I might just zip up the mp3s and give you a cloud download link if that suits.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1158 on: June 06, 2016, 07:43:39 PM »
Hath, J Boy, and EMind, welcome to Loservile!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1159 on: June 06, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »
Well I think I have managed to fit in Stefan, Melissa, Jason, Kylie and Guy within the 30 mins so you're in for a kick ass listen. ;)

I won't be taking huge risks here but I think I have a very consistent batch of obscure songs that cover everything from AOR to power/classic metal.   The songs I have come to 32 mins , so I might have to send you a bonus track :lol  Just need to decide which one doesn't get a score.   I have set aside a lot of my shorter wolfkip approved songs just in case I needed an EP so as I could cram it with 7 songs

32 minutes is fine mate, I'm not a nazi when it comes to rules.

Do you know what you're doing with unzipping files etc... Kade.?   I might just zip up the mp3s and give you a cloud download link if that suits.

That's fine mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1160 on: June 06, 2016, 08:24:20 PM »
If I'm going to make up an entire point, I am going to need you to be a rules nazi.  Please be my kangaroo Hitler.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1161 on: June 06, 2016, 08:48:09 PM »
damn, shoulda sent more growlies.  Saved a whole bunch for the EP.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: June 06, 2016, 09:08:58 PM »
If I'm going to make up an entire point, I am going to need you to be a rules nazi.  Please be my kangaroo Hitler.

:lol

damn, shoulda sent more growlies.  Saved a whole bunch for the EP.

Was close bro, would be intrigued to know what else you had lined up.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1163 on: June 06, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »
ok lemme pull a playlist together
Winger would be better!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: June 06, 2016, 10:20:35 PM »
Holy shit, should've sent Dimension Act after all.

Screw you Brent. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: June 06, 2016, 10:25:07 PM »

bye bye :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: June 06, 2016, 11:01:42 PM »
I found the Dimension Act really surprising.  I thought it would just be your run of the mill prog metal, but it had character and substance, and as I said, the songwriting is great, good stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: June 06, 2016, 11:46:22 PM »
Sent.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: June 07, 2016, 06:02:21 AM »
Sent.

Yep, Brent locked and loaded!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: June 07, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »
How is this round being scored?  If it's just the average of the songs, then its pretty impossible to make up the deficit and I'm going to send songs I like more that probably won't do as well because the way scoring is here, 1 point is pretty insurmountable.  Even double points makes it really freaking hard to swing even a tie.  Triple points would guarantee not a tie, and fuck even winning a round by 0.4 is tough if we are both consistently in that 9.0 range.

If I have any chance of winning, I'll play to win; but otherwise I'll play to push your envelop, musically.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Any guide on what weighting the first 9 rounds will have in any final score for those that make the grand final?

For the two that make the final, I will be continuing along the same paths.  The score that you end up on after this round will carry over.  If you're first and half a whole point lead, than that's your advantage.

This round I'll be rating the songs the same way and taking an average of the two songs to get your round 9 score. It may be more brief as some the criteria will obviously carry over being the same artist and such, but whatever.

The final EP round will again have the songs rated individually and then an average of the whole thing.  That final score will go onto your existing score resulting in the winner.  No bonus points in the EP final round either.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1172 on: June 07, 2016, 11:09:57 AM »
I've checked out Dimension Act but didn't rate them much. Same with Echoes. I'm not the biggest prog metal fan though.

I like Sanctuary though.

And Zbrent unveils another band I've never heard.  :omg:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: June 07, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
Well, as the asshole said to the dildo, "I'm fucked"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1174 on: June 07, 2016, 12:20:23 PM »
I found the Dimension Act really surprising.  I thought it would just be your run of the mill prog metal, but it had character and substance, and as I said, the songwriting is great, good stuff.

They're really good. Believe it or not, I get tired of the cookie cutter prog metal bands. There are very few that add something fresh and unique to it. For every ten bands I check out, maybe one or two stand out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1175 on: June 07, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »
Just chiming in to say that I actually saw Sanctuary in 1988. Part of a cool triple bill: Megadeth, Warlock, & Sanctuary.  :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: June 07, 2016, 06:49:51 PM »
Well, as the asshole said to the dildo, "I'm fucked"

How is this round being scored?  If it's just the average of the songs, then its pretty impossible to make up the deficit and I'm going to send songs I like more that probably won't do as well because the way scoring is here, 1 point is pretty insurmountable.  Even double points makes it really freaking hard to swing even a tie.  Triple points would guarantee not a tie, and fuck even winning a round by 0.4 is tough if we are both consistently in that 9.0 range.

If I have any chance of winning, I'll play to win; but otherwise I'll play to push your envelop, musically.

I don't think a single point is that hard to make up with up to 30 minutes available to send.  I think that's why I opted for the same scoring system.  I feel there should be advantages for first over second.  If Brent sends a couple of tunes that get low 8's or whatever, that brings the average down quite quickly, and number of songs is another factor.  If Brent sends 5 songs, and you send 3 longer songs, every chance the more songs, the more risk of bringing the average down.

You're in the top two mate for a reason, you have the ability to win, things certainly aren't clear cut, just the odds are more against you than Brent, but play it how you want, just keen to hear more submissions from you.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: June 08, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
No point in guessing since there are only two left.  Here's my five completely unrelated songs:

Big Big Train - Folklore
Orphaned Land - Ocean Land
MindMaze - Moment of Flight
Red Fang - Wires
Tiles - Beneath The Surface

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: June 08, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »
Listening is underway.

And yeah Mason, that Red Fang video was really entertaining.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Final Round!
« Reply #1179 on: June 11, 2016, 09:21:09 PM »
So Kade - have Mason and I produced material worthy of a final or have we run out of puff?

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: June 12, 2016, 03:49:49 AM »
Both have produced some really good stuff indeed.  I think Mason has gone the 'fuck it approach, I'll send some left field stuff', but it's still mostly really solid, and some stuff I wouldn't have checked out on my own, which is good.

All in all, this whole roulette has been amazing IMO.  So many good bands that I really want to check out more and purchse albums from, if I could ever find them.  Just goes to show there is some holes in my collection, but also showed me styles that I thought I might like to dabble in quashed.

Very productive, and already have some purchases lined up, everyone involved was well worhty of playing.  I will say I feel the earlier rounds were indeed a lot stronger than the later rounds, but maybe that's me getting a bit burned out too listening to so many new tunes.  Lots to go back over which is great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: June 12, 2016, 03:52:53 AM »
Gonna share a 2cd best of up to this point soon.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1182 on: June 12, 2016, 03:58:15 AM »
Yeah hosting a roulette is a lot of fun, I wasn't the best but I always enjoy participating, and am happy I could atleast show you one or two things you enjoyed. Aswell as a partial success with the Ihsahn as others ended up pointing out songs you liked way more :lol

Good luck to the finalists, looks like a close one.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1183 on: June 12, 2016, 04:01:39 AM »
I just went through and compiled all the songs I'd like on a final 2cd compilation and it came out to 3.2 hours.  :facepalm:

Okay, that might take some time, might do that after the final results.

Will have results Tuesday.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1184 on: June 12, 2016, 07:02:30 AM »
but maybe that's me getting a bit burned out too listening to so many new tunes.

I think there i some truth to that, at least in my experience.  The listening almost becomes a job because you have to keep the thing moving.

once you've wrapped up, I'll send you some extra stuff
Winger would be better!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: June 12, 2016, 03:07:07 PM »
but maybe that's me getting a bit burned out too listening to so many new tunes.

I think there i some truth to that, at least in my experience.  The listening almost becomes a job because you have to keep the thing moving.

once you've wrapped up, I'll send you some extra stuff

Yeah, I'm glad it wasn't just me then.  It became a big part of my daily job list mixed with work to be honest.  Which was fine but yeah definitely almost a fulltime job in itself.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1186 on: June 12, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
That is why 8 rounds is plenty for a roulette.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: June 12, 2016, 04:42:42 PM »
That is why 8 rounds is plenty for a roulette.

More than enough for sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1188 on: June 12, 2016, 04:58:58 PM »
You know after I typed that, I was hoping you didn't take that as a critique of yours because it wasn't. I remember being totally spent at the end of The TAC Roulette and I still had to get through the Epic Round for Round 8. And J-Boy sent me a 30 minute song!  :facepalm:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: June 12, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
Looks like everyone is out of puff :lol   I'm enjoying the Kade EP anyway - I keep going back and playing it myself , but I'm sorta biased.

www.theguitardojo.com.au