Author Topic: Amazing Albums Followed Up By Terrible Albums  (Read 9698 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: Amazing Albums Followed Up By Terrible Albums
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »
Grace Under Pressure terrible? It's one of their best past the five big albums.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
^^^P/g is by FAR my least favorite Rush record, even after Caress and the debut (because, in my view, they should have known better by 1985). 

Grace Under Pressure is a top.5 Rush album, in my book..
Caress of Steel is a chore to get through, and Test for Echo sounds just uninspired 90% of the time.

Agree with most of that. P/g was a trade up from most of Signals. I don't mind Caress of Steel but it's not a go to album. TFE is a turd.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
^^^P/g is by FAR my least favorite Rush record, even after Caress and the debut (because, in my view, they should have known better by 1985). 

Caress of Steel is a chore to get through, and Test for Echo sounds just uninspired 90% of the time.

Agree with most of that. P/g was a trade up from most of Signals. I don't mind Caress of Steel but it's not a go to album. TFE is a turd.

Wow.    Literally we could not be farther apart.  Signals is a Top 5, maybe Top 3 Rush album for me.   Love it, top to bottom, start to finish.  The only song that doesn't blow me away is "Chemistry".  Conversely, there is little that - outside of the live setting - I will even listen to.   Every couple years or so I put on it and Radiohead's OK Computer to see if anything has changed, and every time, for over two decades, the answer has been the same:  Pffffffttttttttt.   

Rush got right back on the horse with Power Windows (not coincidentially, my first Rush show) and while I don't love ALL of PW (side two lags for me) the first side of that record is about as good as anything that came after.  Manhattan Project is one of my top ten favorite Rush songs. 

Not a huge fan of Test For Echo, if that matters.   

Offline masterthes

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2016, 12:17:15 PM »
The Beatles one is kind of unfair, because Abbey Road was written after Let It Be, it was just released the wrong way. If anything, it should go in the other thread

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2016, 01:06:08 PM »
Wow.    Literally we could not be farther apart.  Signals is a Top 5, maybe Top 3 Rush album for me.

Interesting, because i generally see similar praise for both Signals and Grace Under Pressure.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »
(What's The Story) Morning Glory - - - > Be Here Now.

Be Here Now isn't AWFUL but it wasn't a good sign. I loved it when it came out and learned the entire album on guitar. But after " D'You Know What I Mean " - the first song I heard was

I Hope I Think I Know - which was the first sign to me that they might be running out of ideas.

It's not as bad as Shoulder Of Giants though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »

Be Here Now isn't AWFUL but it wasn't a good sign. I loved it when it came out and learned the entire album on guitar. But after " D'You Know What I Mean " - the first song I heard was

I Hope I Think I Know - which was the first sign to me that they might be running out of ideas.

Dude.  Brah.   

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone on a lot of music discussions here.   I think Be Here Now is solid from top to bottom, and I listen to it more often than Definitely Maybe, for example.   SOTSOG is a little more patchy, but it too is a solid record, and the highs are very high.  I think Oasis only started to lose the plot for me when Noel abdicated his songwriting to others.  I think when he had to come up with all the goods it was great.  When he started being one of many voices in the band, it diluted them (and weakened his inputs as well, in my opinion).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »
kinda thinking about it
Obsidian Kingdom: Mantiis -> A Year With No Summer could go here, the latter isn't awful but it's pretty meh while the former is great

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2016, 02:29:55 PM »
By the way, it should be said:  I'm not taking these positions to be an iconoclast.  I really and honestly do LOVE most of Oasis and detest p/g.   The latter is almost unlistenable to me. 

And as always, it's never personal.   Just throwing alternative viewpoints out there. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »

Dude.  Brah.   

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone on a lot of music discussions here.   I think Be Here Now is solid from top to bottom, and I listen to it more often than Definitely Maybe, for example.   SOTSOG is a little more patchy, but it too is a solid record, and the highs are very high.  I think Oasis only started to lose the plot for me when Noel abdicated his songwriting to others.  I think when he had to come up with all the goods it was great.  When he started being one of many voices in the band, it diluted them (and weakened his inputs as well, in my opinion).

I LOVE Be Here Now.. But you could definitely tell they'd blown their load on the first two albums and B sides. Dyou Know What I Mean is Wonderwall again. I Hope I Think I Know is Some Might Say part 2. Stand By Me is a great song and Fade In Out.

Shoulder of Giants is definitely weaker but you could tell something was up on Be Here Now.

EDIT : But Noel's 2 solo albums are better than anything Oasis did since Morning Glory in my opinion - they're awesome.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone on a lot of music discussions here.

:) :) :)

Don't ever go after the consensus on Oasis post Morning Glory  ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:57:56 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
Definitely Maybe = Morning Glory > Be Here Now > Shoulder of Giants < Heathen Chemistry < Don't Believe The Truth = Dig Out Your Soul.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2016, 03:13:35 PM »
I meant the consensus that everything sucks after Morning Glory  :lol

"Sucks" is an huge exaggeration but, that nothing comes close to the two first albums.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2016, 03:15:25 PM »
I meant the consensus that everything sucks after Morning Glory  :lol

"Sucks" is an huge exaggeration but, that nothing comes close to the two first albums.

I think Don't Believe The Truth comes very close.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
Yes, but what to do.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2016, 03:29:28 PM »
:emo: La Tristesse Durera.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2016, 03:35:55 PM »

Wow.    Literally we could not be farther apart.  Signals is a Top 5, maybe Top 3 Rush album for me.   Love it, top to bottom, start to finish.  The only song that doesn't blow me away is "Chemistry".  Conversely, there is little that - outside of the live setting - I will even listen to.   Every couple years or so I put on it and Radiohead's OK Computer to see if anything has changed, and every time, for over two decades, the answer has been the same:  Pffffffttttttttt.   

Rush got right back on the horse with Power Windows (not coincidentially, my first Rush show) and while I don't love ALL of PW (side two lags for me) the first side of that record is about as good as anything that came after.  Manhattan Project is one of my top ten favorite Rush songs. 

Not a huge fan of Test For Echo, if that matters.

I think p/g was my first "new" Rush album after becoming a fan. I love most of it, though Red Lenses is p/g's Chemistry. PW is a great album. Love all of it.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2016, 03:40:56 PM »

Praise the High Flyng Birds, true heir of the Oasis legacy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »

Praise the High Flyng Birds, true heir of the Oasis legacy.

Chasing Yesterday is great. It would have been the 3rd best oasis album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2016, 04:16:27 PM »
I am not a Power Windows fan, but I know most Rush fans consider it some kind of Masterpiece, so what about PW>>HYF?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2016, 04:58:52 PM »
I am not a Power Windows fan, but I know most Rush fans consider it some kind of Masterpiece, so what about PW>>HYF?

No Rush album is terrible though, really.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2016, 05:08:39 PM »

I think Counterparts > Test for Echo is the obvious one.

But like the gentleman said, i don't think any Rush album is truly terrible.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2016, 06:17:50 PM »
True. Even Rush's worst albums are still pretty solid, but Test for Echo was definitely a severe drop-off from Counterparts.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »
In my opinion Counterparts was a pretty severe drop-off from Roll the Bones, and Test for Echo was just more of the same. Both of those albums were just too BLAND for me. I stopped listening and buying their albums after that.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2016, 12:06:59 AM »
Styx-Pieces of Eight--> Cornerstone,  Paradise Theater--> Kilroy Was Here

At least Cornerstone has more redeeming songs than Kilroy Was Here. :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2016, 12:18:42 AM »
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane --> BE

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2016, 12:35:27 AM »
:lol

;)

:-*

:|

:\

:angry:

:tdwn

:facepalm:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2016, 12:47:12 AM »
That almost qualifies for the other thread, with an OK album (Remedy Lane) leading into the much better BE.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2016, 12:50:02 AM »
Everything after Remedy Lane has been a big step down (though 12:5 is amazing and Falling Home isn't bad), but I don't even bother to listen to BE. It's like 75% filler.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2016, 12:54:04 AM »
BE --> Scarsick
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2016, 12:59:12 AM »
That almost qualifies for the other thread, with an OK album (Remedy Lane) leading into the much better BE.
i also disagree here, Remedy Lane is definitely better than BE but both are great  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2016, 08:12:49 AM »

No Rush album is terrible though, really.

Not trying to be controversial here, or beat a dead horse, but I do think p/g is close to terrible.   The songs aren't bad - though they aren't good - and I enjoy (most of) them live, but for me, it's the sound.  It's the one album (besides the debut, for obvious reasons) that I can't name one moment of Neal's that I dig.  I don't like his sound on that record, and I don't feel his playing is organic and propulsive like it is on almost every other album.   I really like Counterparts, and I REALLY like Presto (one of my favorite Rush albums).

As for Oasis, I like Dig Out Your Soul easily as much as the debut.  I don't think it is Morning Glory (which it sounds like is the most favorite of the Oasis records) but it is close.   I really like the first Noel solo record (though my most favorite song of the sessions isn't on the album, "Simple Game of Genius") but to be honest the second still hasn't sunk in yet. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2016, 08:23:50 AM »
I completely agree with this. I was a huge, huge POS fan before BE came out. It completely ruined the band for me. I have hardly listened to them since. I found BE to be in listenable apart from a couple tracks.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2016, 08:25:11 AM »
Not trying to be controversial here, or beat a dead horse, but I do think p/g is close to terrible.

That's controversial as fuck though  :P

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz -> Carrie & Lowell

???

Carrie and Lowell might be Sufjan's second best album. Overall it was received better than Age of Adz, too... Nowhere near a step down in quality, if anything a leap up.