Author Topic: Vote for best progressive metal band  (Read 2761 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Vote for best progressive metal band
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 12:48:05 PM »
Voted Porcupine Tree.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:49:20 PM »
They couldn't even fit 10 Prog Metal bands in!  :lol

Voted Symphony X. DT were going to win anyway.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »
Maybe it's the hype talking and the fact DT is obviously favoured in this poll but I went with BTBAM.

Curious to see King Crimson here, plus the fact they've actually received votes. Maybe I'm wrong cause I never really listened to this band, but do they even do prog metal?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »
I voted for DT, my favourite among those 10 bands, but if there was Haken or PoS or Leprous I would have voted one of them.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 01:35:57 PM »
Curious to see King Crimson here, plus the fact they've actually received votes. Maybe I'm wrong cause I never really listened to this band, but do they even do prog metal?

No, they're one of the original Prog ROCK bands and began in the late 60s. Some of the stuff they do is a sort of Proto-Metal thing and some of the later stuff could be occasionally Metal, but to catagorise them as a Prog Metal band is ridiculous. Same thing with Rush. Porcupine Tree and Tool are borderline.

It's interesting how they have Crimson Glory (the oldest band on the list, interestingly) but not Fates Warning or Queensryche, who put out the first few Prog Metal albums, those being 'The Spectre Within' and 'The Warning' and are far more well known.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:06:31 AM by Enigmachine »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 01:47:47 AM »
What is Porcupine Tree doing there?

Voted for Opeth for lack of better option.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 02:09:16 AM »
I have no problem with Crimson Glory being there - although their debut was after Fates and Queensryche they were together as a group as early , if not earlier than those two.  I think they are massively under rated.

But yeah.............some obvious omissions there and some wtf inclusions.

I would vote DT though.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 03:33:40 AM »
I have no problem with Crimson Glory being there - although their debut was after Fates and Queensryche they were together as a group as early , if not earlier than those two.  I think they are massively under rated.

I don't have a problem with them, I agree with you. It's just interesting because they're the least obvious choice out of those three.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:55 AM »
Rush and Porcupine Tree are not prog metal, thus the poll is invalid. :P

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 07:47:19 PM »
It's so funny to see Rush being among that list as a prog metal band while a few weeks ago I was blast with that kind of statement or as a heavy band.  REAL funny! I think that they have been all that in their career but don't go crazy with that, just a thought and everyone in entitled to his opinion. ;)
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 04:27:26 AM »
It's so funny to see Rush being among that list as a prog metal band while a few weeks ago I was blast with that kind of statement or as a heavy band.  REAL funny! I think that they have been all that in their career but don't go crazy with that, just a thought and everyone in entitled to his opinion. ;)

You were blasted because you were clearly wrong and provided no evidence to support the band being Prog Metal. Do you think King Crimson are Prog Metal too? If you honestly think Rush and King Crimson are Prog Metal and belong on the list, then  :facepalm: . I know some are irritated by discussions about genres, but categorising Rush and KC is pretty basic due to history cementing them as 70s Prog Rock bands (though Rush did change throughout their carrer, but never to Metal). It's not even an opinion at that stage, people can call BtBaM a Progressive Death Metal band or a Progressive Deathcore band and I don't care because they weren't part of a specific movement like Rush were.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 05:34:58 AM »
Rush has always been, at the core, a rock band.  No more, no less.  They had their prog phase, but the vast majority of their career has not been prog, so categorizing them as mainly a prog rock band seems incorrect as well.  Their metal moments are so few that calling them a metal band seems silly.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 05:40:01 AM »
Rush has always been, at the core, a rock band.  No more, no less.  They had their prog phase, but the vast majority of their career has not been prog, so categorizing them as mainly a prog rock band seems incorrect as well.  Their metal moments are so few that calling them a metal band seems silly.

Well, I'll concede that. What most people rember them for is their late 70s / early 80s period when they were Prog Rock, but I can see how the rest was mostly Hard Rock (with some exceptions like the synth-infused stuff in the 80s).

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 05:55:31 AM »

You were blasted because you were clearly wrong and provided no evidence to support the band being Prog Metal. Do you think King Crimson are Prog Metal too? If you honestly think Rush and King Crimson are Prog Metal and belong on the list, then  :facepalm: . I know some are irritated by discussions about genres, but categorising Rush and KC is pretty basic due to history cementing them as 70s Prog Rock bands (though Rush did change throughout their carrer, but never to Metal). It's not even an opinion at that stage, people can call BtBaM a Progressive Death Metal band or a Progressive Deathcore band and I don't care because they weren't part of a specific movement like Rush were.

Didn't have to provide any proof or exemple about what is Rush's music.  I just said what it is and oh it is called like that by expert doing poles.  Why are u searching for mosquitos to shoot with machine guns (as we say in french).

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 05:57:36 AM »

So these guys https://sudupereviewer.blogspot.com.co/2016/04/vote-for-best-progressive-metal-band.html are incorrect! Just like so many others :lol

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 06:05:15 AM »
Didn't have to provide any proof or exemple about what is Rush's music.  I just said what it is and oh it is called like that by expert doing poles.  Why are u searching for mosquitos to shoot with machine guns (as we say in french).

:huh:

So these guys https://sudupereviewer.blogspot.com.co/2016/04/vote-for-best-progressive-metal-band.html are incorrect! Just like so many others :lol

Well... yeah.

Look, Rush are important in Prog Metal history, but in the same way Motorhead are important to Thrash Metal history or how Led Zeppelin are important to the history of Metal as a whole. Just because they influence many bands in the genre does not make them part of it. Also, just because some obscure blogger made a poll miscategorising a band doesn't make the miscategorisation suddenly correct.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 06:15:45 AM »

Yes.

I would also add that some sites, bloggers, etc. like to call Rush prog metal because it adds more credibility, in their minds, to a genre they like, if a giant like Rush is a part of it.

But I will ask you: how exactly is Rush metal? 

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 01:31:27 PM »

Well... yeah.

Look, Rush are important in Prog Metal history, but in the same way Motorhead are important to Thrash Metal history or how Led Zeppelin are important to the history of Metal as a whole. Just because they influence many bands in the genre does not make them part of it. Also, just because some obscure blogger made a poll miscategorising a band doesn't make the miscategorisation suddenly correct.

I understand your point though I have seen so many times in all Rush history that they were called so many different types of music that in magazine they appeared listed as prog metal, hard, heavy, etc.  They have been sounding about any type or rock music.  They never stuck just on the same type of rock music but at one point in their career they happened to be heavy, hard, metal, prog etc. The most popular magazines in the world were calling them all those types of rock music.  So all a bunch of ignorants  ;)

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 02:16:52 PM »

Well... yeah.

I understand your point though I have seen so many times in all Rush history that they were called so many different types of music that in magazine they appeared listed as prog metal, hard, heavy, etc.  They have been sounding about any type or rock music.  They never stuck just on the same type of rock music but at one point in their career they happened to be heavy, hard, metal, prog etc. The most popular magazines in the world were calling them all those types of rock music.  So all a bunch of ignorants  ;)

There's two things to note here:

1. In the flurry of genres that Rush can very occasionally be, Prog Metal is probably the one least backed up by their actual music. It just doesn't fit like 99% of the time. YYZ is probably one of the best fitting to that label as well as Caravan, BU2B, Headlong Flight, Anthem and Bastille Day and even those are pretty weak links to the genre compared to material like 'Condition Human', 'One Thousand Fires' and 'Moment of Betrayal' by Queensryche, Fates Warning and Dream Theater respectively (all three being true pioneers of the genre). A few traces appear in other Rush songs but that's all they are. Rush's career trajctory from the 70s to 80s was consisting of Hard Rock, Prog Rock and Synth Rock with shades of traditional Heavy Metal in the vein of lighter Black Sabbath and heavier Deep Purple with a varying balance of those through the 90s onwards.

2. I would not trust the most popular magazines in the world to be that accurate with terminology considering the typicality of attention grabbing headlines and buzzwords. I would treat a phrase like 'Prog Metal pioneers, Rush' with a degree of skepticism. There is often a tendency for people to essentially re-write music history because of what they like. Saying 'Rush invented Prog Metal' or simply 'Rush are Prog Metal' is essentially music revisionism. You often see this when people keep trying to disprove that Metallica were the first Thrash Metal band.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 04:02:38 PM »
I agree with what you are saying. Good explanation  :tup

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »
With all due respect to the other bands on this list, I can't not vote DT.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 04:54:22 PM »
I agree with what you are saying. Good explanation  :tup

Thank you.  :tup

With all due respect to the other bands on this list, I can't not vote DT.

What are your opinions of the other bands in the list (apart from Rush / KC)?

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2016, 05:17:44 PM »
I basically want to vote for Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Tool and... other bands before DT.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »
Voted Porcupine Tree.
WTF Porcupine Tree is not even close to being a prog metal band lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Sycsa

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 03:36:35 PM »
I basically want to vote for Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Tool and... other bands before DT.
Good for you.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 08:21:55 AM »
That's gotta be one of the stupidest lists I've ever seen.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
As most 'what's the best band?' polls out there.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 09:48:01 AM »
As most 'what's the best band?' polls out there.

Or even "who/what's the BEST anything?" polls. They're all dumb.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 04:11:16 PM »
Looks like someone just made a list of their favorite bands and called them all progressive metal.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 04:34:48 PM »
Looks like someone just made a list of their favorite bands and called them all progressive metal.   :lol

Basically yeah.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 04:35:58 PM »
I love polls, but when they are correctly done.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »
I love polls, but when they are correctly done.

Yes. When a poll is not thought through, it just feels pointless to vote in.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 07:26:45 AM »
I know Rush and PT aren't prog metal, but I voted for the band I love the most regardless of genre, and that's Rush. :P