Poll

First Astonishing track you listened to out of sequence? (Post-album release)

Descent of the NOMACs
1 (1.4%)
Dystopian Overture
2 (2.8%)
The Gift of Music
2 (2.8%)
The Answer
2 (2.8%)
A Better Life
6 (8.3%)
Lord Nafaryus
6 (8.3%)
A Savior in the Square
0 (0%)
When Your Time Has Come
4 (5.6%)
Act of Faythe
0 (0%)
Three Days
9 (12.5%)
The Hovering Sojurn
0 (0%)
Brother, Can You Hear Me?
0 (0%)
A Life Left Behind
11 (15.3%)
Ravenskill
3 (4.2%)
Chosen
2 (2.8%)
A Tempting Offer
0 (0%)
Digital Discord
0 (0%)
The X Aspect
0 (0%)
A New Beginning
12 (16.7%)
The Road to Revolution
0 (0%)
2285 Entr'acte
0 (0%)
Moment of Betrayal
1 (1.4%)
Heaven's Cove
0 (0%)
Begin Again
2 (2.8%)
The Path That Divides
1 (1.4%)
Machine Chatter
0 (0%)
The Walking Shadow
1 (1.4%)
My Last Farewell
1 (1.4%)
Losing Faythe
0 (0%)
Whispers On The Wind
0 (0%)
Hymn of a Thousand Voices
0 (0%)
Our New World
5 (6.9%)
Power Down
0 (0%)
Astonishing
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: First Astonishing track you listened to out of sequence? (Post-album release)  (Read 1917 times)

Offline JiM-Xtreme

Obviously The Gift of Music or Moment of Betrayal wouldn't count if you listened to these before the album was released (unless they actually were the first tracks you listened to again after the album came out...).

For me it was A New Beginning. I actually held off for about a month before listening to any of the album out of sequence as I wanted to allow as much chance as possible for the album as a whole to really sink in. However, ANB just has so much going on I couldn't resist spinning that one again!

So which one broke the chain for you, and was there anything special about that track that particularly drew you to listen to it out of sequence?

Offline Enigmachine

I listened to A Better Life on my iPod after my second listen.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Pretty sure it would have been Three Days.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
A Life Left Behind. The jazzy-Yes intro really got me!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
There are a lot that I listen to on their own, but one of my favorites is When Your Time Has Come.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Three Days, I recall replaying it once or twice right after it came on during my first listen. Still an amazing song, too bad it's surrounded by 2 songs I cannot stand.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
I listen to A New Beginning and Three Days by themselves all the time. Probably my two favorites.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline IdoSC

After my first listen of CD1 I had to take a moment, listen to Lord Nafaryus 3 times, then listen to Three Days once, and only then I could proceed to CD2.

Offline Dream Team

A Life Left Behind. The jazzy-Yes intro really got me!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
The Path That Divides
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
My usual routine is to listen to some tracks off a new album as soon as it arrives in the post, and save the first full listen for that evening. I love listening to albums in full, but it's not sacrilege to listen to tracks from it out of sequence.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

Our New World. I remember when I first heard it on the teaser, I thought, that does not sound good. Then I heard the full song when I listened to the full album. I was floored.

Now my 4th favorite DT song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I don't know. I listened to it out of sequence before I got through the album once. It would have been something in the first half of disc 1 though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Our New World. I remember when I first heard it on the teaser, I thought, that does not sound good. Then I heard the full song when I listened to the full album. I was floored.

For me it was the exact opposite :lol I heard the start of that guitar solo and thought it was really awesome, then when I heard it in full I found out those were my favorite 2 seconds of the entire song, I really want to like that song but just can't get into it. I think the verses are pretty good but the chorus really kills it for me.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
A New Beginning was probably the first

Offline Mladen

I remember spinning the album for the first time, then later that afternoon I had slightly less than half an hour to play some music, so I went with A New beginning, Heaven's cove and Three days. There was probably another one. I can't remember the correct order, but it's very possible that the first one was A New beginning.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
The Path That Divides

Same here, bro.
That's because it is the best them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

The Gift of Music only to watch the video.

I'm still in full experience mode. (Well, almost full, just last sunday I made myself an abridged version of the album)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jakepriest

Ravenskill

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
A Better Life

Still one of my goto tracks if I'm going on a short car journey.  :tup

Offline Iceyice

TBH, i always listen out of sequence with this on shuffle on my fone music player and Spotify playlist.

Never once have i listened track to track. Might try it someday.
'Just when you're through hanging on......you're saved.....'

Offline Thematt202

Chosen.  The ultimate Disney-esque power ballad and probably the all round nicest lead playing on the record.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Calvin6s

Technically, all of them.  I usually do some random sampling of each song when I get a new album to get a quick feel for the album as a whole and if any song is so strong that it is an instantaneous favorite for me.

But as far as wanting to listen to one song more than others in the very beginning, I'm waking up, I mean A Life Left Behind.  The intro is great but the "I'm waking up" part is one of the strongest bits I've ever heard from Dream Theater.

Went with A Life Left Behind, but these two were played right along with it:
My favorite intro is A Tempting Offer.  It was just as strong as "I'm waking up".

The "bow down to Nefaryus" was the next strongest chorus from Three Days.

Those three songs (and the Dystopian Overture) are the stand out tracks for me.  And it isn't even close.  The rest of the songs are good, but they don't beg me to play them.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
Lord Nafaryus. It was stuck in my head and I needed a song to kick off my shower that day.

Offline CB

Lord Nafaryus. I couldn't believe they wrote a Metal Tango!

Offline Dream Team

That's Three Days, not LN.

Offline Madman Shepherd

A Life Left Behind.  Had my ipod on shuffle and no plans to revisit the Astonishing because I wasn't overly impressed.  This song, however, is EXCELLENT. Everything about it is just beautiful. 

It is still the only song besides The Gift of Music that I have listened to more than once. 

Offline pcs90

Dystopian Overture, A New Beginning and Our New World...not sure of the exact order but after my first listen of the album I had to hear those again!

Offline namgalsipsclar

Does Dystopian Overture count if I'm skipping the Nomac track and starting there? I've voted it anyway because I think it was the first track that clicked. Either that or A New Beginning

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
I'm thinking either Lord Nafaryus or A Savior In The Square. Probably A Savior In The Square because I remember I found the intro so beautiful.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

A New Beginning is a mainstay in my shuffle now.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream

That's Three Days, not LN.

Nope.. That's LN, not TD.. ::)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline 425

For me it was the exact opposite :lol I heard the start of that guitar solo and thought it was really awesome, then when I heard it in full I found out those were my favorite 2 seconds of the entire song, I really want to like that song but just can't get into it. I think the verses are pretty good but the chorus really kills it for me.

Same! This seems to be a really popular one, and I just really don't care for it nearly as much as most people do. I think it's one of the bottom ten on the album. The chorus is the main reason why, which is weird given that it seems to be something that a lot of people like about it.

To the OP, I don't think I've listened to anything out of sequence yet. If I have, it's been The Gift of Music, and if I haven't, I have to imagine the first one will be The Gift of Music.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Thematt202

I agree!  I expected it to be a fleshed out poppy metal track in the vein of Bridges in the Sky.  It seems really underdeveloped due to the lack of a prechorus and the same/similar chord sequence under the intro, verses and chorus.  A missed opportunity as the guitar solo is awesome.
Shaman take my haaaaand!