Author Topic: Should I see DT Live even though I've heard that Labrie is doing badly?  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Tumdace

Re: Should I see DT Live even though I've heard that Labrie is doing badly?
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »
I'm going to see them in Toronto, I'll let you know how he does (will be their 3rd show of the North American tour so I think he's gonna kick ass).

Although the show in Toronto is Saturday and the show in NY is Monday so IDK if tickets will be sold out or not by then?

Offline GandL

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 04:45:29 PM »
And I will be at the Montreal show, so second one after Quebec. My wife cannot come, so I will go with our youngest daughter who likes them.

She's 19th, it will be a treat for her  :metal

Offline thosava

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 05:35:47 AM »
I don't know if i heard wrong, but when i went to the third show in Oslo he was singing absolutely amazing! It was a little bit off in the beginning, but after the first four-five songs he was almost as good as the album on all the other songs (except maybe A New Beginning). And i remember thinking that he was singing even better than on the album on the last three-four songs!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 05:44:32 AM »
I don't think he's doing badly. That makes it sound like he's totally all over the place. I just think with each tour the strain on his voice is showing more. I've heard bootlegs from most of the shows and there are some spots where he nails it, but then the next night he'll mess up that same part.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »
I wish I could sing half as well as JLB when I am his age in 10 years.    I tried recording "Under a Glass Moon" a while back and it was tough!   When I was 30, I could nail it. Now, not so much!     

So, if JLB is not top notch, well, he's been singing like this for 30 years now. It takes a toll!    If they were doing a normal show and not The Astonishing in its entirety, I would definitely go.   I wouldn't pay 20 bux to see The Astonishing, though.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
If James was sick early on he has a legit excuse. I'm the same age as James and have been singing in rock bands 30 years. The human voice can be fragile when a person isn't healthy. Not much he could do but power through it. I'm expecting a great show in Connecticut next Wednesday. :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »
I don't expect a singer to be totally 100% live. The voice is so fragile that even the slightest nose problem, like allergies, can  affect it. So, no worries from JLB. Although, this is his hardest tour yet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2016, 08:07:09 AM »
James was fine in Toronto last night, no different than the last 2 times I've seen them live on their previous tours.

Apparently John was sick and James said something at the end of the show about how he's surprised John didn't pass out.

Still a good show and worth seeing imo. James has never been an amazing live singer from the shows I've seen but he wasn't bad.

Offline JMSE

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2016, 09:41:05 AM »
Yeah James sounded very good IMO at the Toronto gig, he was active too and seemed like having fun singing. Honestly, this album is something to experience live. If you liked it you owe it to yourself to see it live. There were some breathtaking moments:

- Nomac intro: the sound, the visuals are perfect hype
- Overture
- James singing Lord Nafaryus
- Mangini's blast beat (wow)
- Petrucci solo at the end of New Beginning (got a massive standing ovation)
- Hymn of a thousand voices
- Our New World

mind you, they most likely will not play this set again so you again if you are a fan of the album go and watch them

EDIT: oh James totally kills it in Ravenskill.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:47:56 AM by JMSE »

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2016, 08:33:59 PM »
Some comments about the show in Montreal on Friday.  I felt disappointed about not going and thought about it during the evening.  I have a friend who went to it, he always do and told me that DT is always good so he did not mind if the last album doesn't fit what he wanted.  While I was jogging the day after, he passes by in his car and told me he had been very disappointed.  So here some comments about people who went and I would say it's a 50-50 response.  Some people did not even liked the visual of it saying it was a bit cheap.  If you understand french, you will have the details.

Interview with John Petrucci. It was about the new album "The Astonishing ", the tour with their elaborate stage production, and of course his equipment such as his Music Man JP16 Majesty signature guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EZRUROF1EE

45 commentaires104 partages

Commentaires

Mario Pouliot Thanks guys for the amazing show last night at the Bell Center. Who disparages this show are lovers prog-met only. It is a theme album and what an excellent album. Pettrucci, Mangini, Rudess and Myung are geniuses of the music.What about Labrie who was yesterday in voice. Wow !! it was an amazing show.

J’aime · Répondre · 3 · Hier à 09:24

Stephane Boivin Dream Theater goes to Broadway! Saw the Montréal show last night and i was very disappointed. I've been a hardcore fan for 20 years......PLEASE snap out of it.

Je n’aime plus · Répondre · 1 · Hier à 08:58

Vince Meunier Completement daccord ! Sur dautre groupe je ne voyais que des bons commentaires je ne pouvais pas croire que tout le monde s'est laissé charmé par cet album. Dailleur comment avez vouz trouvé la calibration du son ?

Je n’aime plus · Répondre · 1 · Hier à 11:00

Stephane Boivin Vince Meunier les haut-parleurs ne pointait pas assez haut car j'étais a l'étage des loges et je ne peux donc pas commenter mais d'habitude le son de leurs shows est impécable sur le parterre. Tout était superbe sauf la musique et les images cucus de ...Voir plus

Je n’aime plus · Répondre · 1 · 15 h · Modifié

Rick McBride Dear John. Ego check required, please put yours it in check. The new album is really really bad. So damn disappointed. I want my money back. Sincerely, a fan from back to '94. P.S. Bring back Mikey.

Je n’aime plus · Répondre · 16 · 15 avril, à 15:29

Naveed Iqbal Feel giddy inside hearing him talk about how he listened to music by turning off lights and listening to the whole record in one go. I always listen to records the same way.

J’aime · Répondre · 9 · 15 avril, à 11:28

Frederico Palma I like John Petrucci very much. I don't like "the astonishing" AT ALL!
Hope the next one will be better somehow (not difficult after this one).
And life goes on...

J’aime · Répondre · 4 · 15 avril, à 12:33

Cory Lowe Boring album! Sounds like one BIG musical. Where's the ProgMetal!!!

J’aime · Répondre · 1 · 15 avril, à 21:17

Luis Geffen Love Petrucci, but i aspire next album less story More Action

J’aime · Répondre · 15 avril, à 21:48

About how many people were there, the only thing I know so far is that there were many empty seats in the building.  It was set to fill about 8000 maximum.  Maybe someone will give me a number.  There were many black blankets deployed over some sections which is normal at some point.  Many complained about the sound but depending where you are in that building, the sound is not very good everywhere.  I know because Rush last year concert was about some of the worst sound I had experienced.  I think the more you are up in the crowd, the worst it is.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2016, 05:50:59 AM »
Yeah James sounded very good IMO at the Toronto gig, he was active too and seemed like having fun singing. Honestly, this album is something to experience live. If you liked it you owe it to yourself to see it live. There were some breathtaking moments:

- Overture
- Our New World

mind you, they most likely will not play this set again so you again if you are a fan of the album go and watch them

All of this.

Stop taking internet whiners so seriously and make your own judgement. Yes, go see them!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2016, 05:19:37 PM »

- Overture

- Our New World

All of this.

Stop taking internet whiners so seriously and make your own judgement. Yes, go see them!

They are fans giving their opinions. I have mine. If they make another leg touring with a different show and setlist, I Will be there.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2016, 05:24:15 PM »
Even if JLB is not at 100%, you probably won't notice much when you're there live in the moment. People don't notice mistakes as much in person.
I say if you like the album, go see the show.

This is what I was going to add.  Especially since you say you want to bring friends, they won't notice the mistakes at all.