Author Topic: DT Q&A with Derek Sherinian  (Read 3635 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
DT Q&A with Derek Sherinian
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »
Not sure how many of you have seen this in the general music discussion area, but I figured it might help to have a duplicate thread posted over here as well, which is completely appropriate since a lot of the discussion is DT-related.  Derek is posting a series of Q&A videos, with questions submitted by fans.  If you have a burning question for Derek, you can post it here.

Here is the first of hopefully many videos where Derek comments on his contributions to the Falling Into Infinity Sessions.  Enjoy:  https://youtu.be/zxIa1ckYqEI
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
Re: DT Q&A with Derek Sherinian
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:58:49 AM »
Please make sure that any questions posted contain both a "Name" & "Location"....

Thanks...
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:01:25 PM »
Man, i still wonder where Dream Theater would go with Derek on board and freedom from the label. He is such a badass player, very unique and brought a very original attitude to DT. Even though Jordan is a wizard, he still can't reproduce his sound.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:20:50 PM »
My name is Andrés, I'm from Argentina and I want to know if there's going to be another Planet X record. Plus, I want to know how is Tony. Thanks in advance.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »
Name: Jonathan
Place: Manchester, UK

If the label hadn't given you all the pressure during FII, out of all the songs recorded during that period(such as Raise the knife, what would your ideal track list have been for the album?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 04:55:12 PM »
Oscar
USA

Is there a possibility for a future solo album? Love all your solo stuff. It's pretty unreal!  :metal

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:57:43 PM »
Michael, Beverly Hills, CA

Who would win in battle of the bands, the Del Fuvio Monks or Nicky Lemons & the Migraines? 

(Ugly American - the two song juggernaut album that was just too monumental to be made)

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
Keep an eye on the thread guys
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:44:58 PM by shadystraz360 »

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 02:33:39 PM »
Nice ;)
Derek answered a few questions for the French fan club and the interview will be posted in a few days.
BTW, Derek has just asked me to remove the link as it was not ready to be published
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:10:02 PM by the keyboard wizard »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »
Michael, Beverly Hills, CA

Second question:  Any fond memories or special moments with Keith Emerson from your summer of '98 tour opening up for ELP?

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 11:02:46 PM »
Derek answers another DT question posted by a Dream Theater forum member:

https://youtu.be/DJEaOwUeMI4

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 09:10:33 AM »
Nice question, Mebert!

Anyone else pick up on "When Dream and Day Get Snubbed" in referencing KM's catalog with DT?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 10:38:58 AM »
Wow, that was cool!  I really enjoyed seeing him answer my question in a such a thoughtful and detailed way.  Thanks so much!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 03:53:21 PM »
Nice question, Mebert!

Anyone else pick up on "When Dream and Day Get Snubbed" in referencing KM's catalog with DT?

LOL. Yeah. Did Derek played any of the WDADU songs by any chance? I think he only played Another Hand/The Killing Hand based on the Old Bridge official boot.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 04:20:09 PM »
He played TYJ, TWWHTSTS also

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 04:46:21 PM »
He played TYJ, TWWHTSTS also
Actually, only Ytsejam and TKH. While the band did play TOWHtStS early on the Waking Up the World tour, it was the lowest priority for Derek to learn, so the initial plan was for them to perform the song without keyboards (as a 4-piece), and later in the tour, Derek would learn the song. However, they ended up dropping it from the set before he ever learned it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 05:06:10 PM »
Yeah i know, but they played this track when he was in the band.I understood, that I must write all songs of this period lol (2nd language :P)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:32:46 PM by CharlesPL »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 05:39:10 PM »
Nice question, Mebert!

The omission if WDADU in the question is totally my fault!  When I submitted the question, I asked for his thoughts on Kevin's playing "on the first two DT albums."  I had I&W and Awake in my head and forgot about WDADU (as did Derek, apparently), because the latter two albums are just on another level in my opinion.  It was an honest mistake, but one I shouldn't have made.  Sorry for the snub, WDADU!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:39:50 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 11:52:36 PM »
You're forgiven.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 12:05:54 AM »
Derek answers the next question from the forum member and administrator... Bosk1

https://youtu.be/PezJZNy_16w

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
Wow, REALLY cool response.  I like the detail.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »
Great question, bosk!  It's pretty awesome that Derek is doing this.  I really enjoy his detailed responses very much.   

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »
Man, i still wonder where Dream Theater would go with Derek on board and freedom from the label. He is such a badass player, very unique and brought a very original attitude to DT. Even though Jordan is a wizard, he still can't reproduce his sound.

Yeah I enjoy what both JR and KM brought to the band but one album just wasn't enough for Derek. I also think about what if...