Author Topic: The "I (fill in blank) for (uber famous person)" Thread!!!  (Read 10328 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The "I (fill in blank) for (uber famous person)" Thread!!!
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2016, 08:35:11 AM »
I once, all on separate occasions, made drinks for Dick Gephardt (former Congressman), Jackie Smith (former NFL TE, known for dropping a would-be TD in the Super Bowl) and Phyllis Smith (Phyllis from The Office).

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2016, 08:50:28 AM »
I've shared with you all that I have been truly blessed in my life. I have been afforded opportunities to meet and befriend many different people in music, film, the arts, politics, industry and entertainment. I consider Geddy one of my good friends; as well as Alex. And my career has afforded me the chance to meet many others. As a result, I've had dozens of encounters. We have a group of artists, fellow authors, musicians, and actors that we try and get together at various spots around the world each year. We have a name for our "secret club", and even our own web address. We elect a president every three years, and we usually get together (only guys) for a week or so of drunken revelry, gastronomic indulgence, cigar smoking, and general male bonding tom foolery. Our little group continues to grow. And it's not unique. It is also heavily fortified with Canadians in the arts.
For many reasons I won't bore you with the details, but I'll share one really awesome "guest".

In June of 2014 we spent a couple of weeks in the Caribbean. There were about 16 of us, and Bill Murray was an invited "guest". We all had a blast. He was everything you'd ever heard about him; and nothing like anything you'd ever heard. His stories were hilarious; and his wit, kindness and charm were unsurpassed.

My wife and I used to also have a home and split our time there, near DC; and as a lobbyist, and then political consultant, her career has given me access to various "famous" people too.

I could share dozens of stories about various encounters, but I'd like to share those random ones instead.

I got on an elevator once with Donald Sutherland at GW hospital in DC. He was lost, and I helped him figure out the clinic he was headed too.

At a large fundraiser in DC, I was bored, and mingling, and turned around and former President Clinton was standing there and asked me matter of fact,
"So, what's some good music you'd recommend to me?"
Caught off guard, I blurted out. "Have you heard Dream Theater?" 
"Is that a musical of some kind?"
"No, Mr. President, it's a progressive metal band, but they are really good."
"Is that right? Dream Theater. I'll have to check them out."
We were interrupted and he was on to the next conversation. But I drove my wife crazy on the way home sharing my excitement and the details. I've always wondered if he checked them out.

I once sat next to Richard Kiel and talked the whole flight with him on a flight from Fresno to Chicago. He was a very cool, and very interesting guy.

Also at the San Francisco airport once Courtney Love was behind me in line to check-in. She had a few large bags to check, and I carried one for her until we got to the ticket counter. She was pretty cool and very thankful I helped her.

On a trip once to NOLA, I met Cher in a boutique store. She was paying for items and I was waiting behind her. We chatted for a moment. She was very sweet.
That same day, I had on a NY Yankees jersey, and after leaving Cafe duMonde I was getting ready to cross the street at Jackson Square, and someone kept yelling, "Hey, New York! New York! New York! New York!" Not being from NY, it took a moment to realize they were yelling at me. I finally turned and Cindy Lauper was standing there, and asked, "New York, what time is it in The City?"
And finally, on that same trip, I was in Maison Jazz Club sitting at the bar, drinking bourbon and listening to the band, and this hot blonde caught my eye. She was sitting with about 15 people who had a bunch of tables shoved together. She looked my way, and smiled at me. Aww shit! I went back to watching the band. I looked over a minute or so later, she looks over and smiles again. It's on!!!
She looked familiar to me. I've met tons of people, but I couldn't place her. It started to gnaw at me. Every so often, I'd think I'd figured it out...But couldn't.
Finally she and two women get up and make their way through the tables and walk right up past me on their way to the ladies room. She walks past, bats her eyes at me and says, "Hello", as she passes me.
This chick was fine. Our flirting glances were heating up, and she was "bout it, bout it!"
When she walked back, again a big smile, and I said something cheesy like, "Thank God, you're back, I was starting to miss you." She laughed, and I stuck out my hand and said, "Hi, I'm TempusVox." She shook my hand and then held onto it.
"It's really nice to meet you" she said.
Me: "You look so familiar to me, have we met somewhere else, or maybe in some other life?"
*She giggled* "I don't know about any others, but I don't think we've met in this one until now.
Where are you from?"
"I'm from Cincinnati, but I've lived and travelled all over."
"Well, I've never been to Cincinnati."
"Are you from New Orleans?"
"No, I'm here with my daughter and her new husband."
*Here comes the next cheesy line*
"Now wait a minute, if you have a daughter there is no way she's old enough to have a husband."
"Yeah, they're sitting right there."
*She points at the large group. My eyes follow her slender arm, and at the end of her index finger sits, Lisa Marie Presley and Nick Cage. They're looking at us, and wave. Duhhhhh! I know where I've seen her now.*
"You're Priscilla Presley?"
She laughs. "I am."
"Well, can I buy you a drink?"
"That's so sweet, but we're leaving. They were waiting on me."
The group of folks get up and start filing out. She leans in kisses my cheek and says, "It was nice to meet you."
"The pleasure was all mine."
When Cage walks by he's shaking hands with a bunch of people, he shakes my hand and says, "Hey man!"

The dude next to me, a total stranger says..."I'm buying you a goddamn drink! Dude, you were hittin' on Elvis old lady, and she kissed your damn cheek!"
*sigh*
We'll always have NOLA Priscilla...Well always have NOLA.

There are more...But that's a good start.  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:30:31 AM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2016, 09:18:01 AM »
I don't think that it gets any more awesome than recommending DT to President Bill Clinton. :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2016, 09:37:43 AM »
I don't think that it gets any more awesome than recommending DT to President Bill Clinton. :metal

I thought so at the time. I'd been introduced to him when we arrived, and he was swarmed busy talking to people. When I turned around later and was face to face with him, I think he saw how bored I was, maybe. He had a true knack of disarming, and putting people at ease. I was so caught off guard by the question, I wasn't freaked out by the questioner more or less.

Another funny Clinton story. When Mrs. Vox worked for a Senator as his Chief of Staff, it was during Clinton's administration. Constituents and business types are constantly calling in to speak with each member of Congress or to leave messages. It can be chaotic. One day her administrative person was out sick, so she was taking calls. It had been a busy day, and the phone rang, and someone said, " Hi, I need to speak with the Senator right away."
No one hardly ever got to speak to the Senator, especially right away.
My wife said, "I'm sorry, the Senator can't come to the phone right now, can I take a message or help you with something?"
"Tell him the Presidents on the phone, please."
Mrs. Vox: "The president of what?"
"The United States!"
 :lol
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2016, 02:27:36 PM »
This is at least the second thread you've incorrectly posted this nonsense in. Can you do us all a favor and read the forum rules before going any further with this spamming spree?

Edit: Make that SIX separate threads of which four are definitely incorrect for that kind of post. The other two are the chat thread (grey area at best) and, shockingly, the actual correct thread.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=9878
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline JohnFar

« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2016, 02:44:41 PM »
Does it really bother you that much that I'm reaching out to the fan base to sell my tickets?  Yeah, I know the correct thread, however with one week before the show and two days until I can get the VIP switched, I had to get aggressive.  So how about getting a life and ignoring that which bothers you so much.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »
It bothers me. I'm going to be nice and let your request in the proper thread and chat thread stand, but any continued spamming and you will be gone.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »
Well as mod beat me to telling you to ask first where to post.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »
He did what I would've done.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
He's just trying to provide us the opportunity to meet Dream Theater! It fits in this thread!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2016, 07:52:49 AM »
Ummm...might as well shut it down..Tempus wins  :yarr  That Priscilla story...WOW!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2016, 08:25:38 AM »
I rolled a joint for Jesus and he was like, "Thanks, dude. But I'd rather smoke some opium."

Saviors are such divas.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2016, 06:23:22 AM »
One of my coolest ones. Me and a bud were at a Whitesnake/Motley Crue concert in the late 80's at the arena in Jersey. In between the bands we went to grab a bear, We are just standing there and two guys standing next to us are doing the same. They kind of looked familiar so I say to my bud, dude that's Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. So we start talking to them and sure enough it was them. We talked for about 15 minutes and they even purchased us a beer. It was pretty cool. Funny thing too is nobdfy else recognized them.

That is awesome. I went to a show on that tour too, BTW - it was 1987 and they were touring for Girls, Girls, Girls and Whitesnake's self-titled album, FWIW.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2016, 06:26:29 AM »
yep that was the tour Jen. :metal

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2016, 06:27:43 AM »
The biggest one for me is probably making food for James Gandolfini. My family's restaurant was the location where they shot the last scene of the Sopranos, and I met the actors who played Tony, Carmella, and AJ (no Meadow  >:(). I actually spent most of my day cooking and re-cooking the food that everyone was eating because it took so long to set up each different camera angle, that every time they started filming again the extras needed fresh food. James Gandolfini caught on at one point and started hanging out by the grill in between filming so he could snag some extra fries and whatnot :lol Super nice guy though.

Michael Strahan and his family were regulars for a while when they first moved to the area and their kitchen was getting redone, so I made him chocolate milkshakes a few times. I also sold Easter candy to Whoopi Goldberg once or twice. Both of them were also very nice.

I'm still bitter that I wasn't there the time Stephen Colbert stopped in  :censored

I've met axeman and peed in the bathroom James Gandolfini was on his way into during that scene. Does that count?

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2016, 06:40:33 AM »
okay I guess I will try to remember all of mine.

When I was very young my mother took me to the Ice Capades and afterwards we went backstage because her friend's daughter was a seamstress and worked on costumes, and I got Peggy Fleming's signature.

I went to the Score show at RCMH in NYC and a friend of mine made it so I could meet JP, JR, and MP. I've met them all multiple times since as well. JR is always the most talkative, friendly person you can imagine. One of those times I accidentally told MP "it's a shame you didn't get to meet me sooner". This was not what my brain was trying to say but my mouth had other ideas apparently.

I've met Steven Wilson enough times now that I honestly can't remember how many it's been. Probably six or seven?
(The first time:)

He never once has remembered meeting me before. Apparently the first time I accidentally implied to his face that he was gay. I still disagree. Everyone else just misunderstood what I was trying to imply!! A few times ago when I met him I told him how much I love Index and he was surprised and said that was one of his favorite songs he has ever written, then he asked me if I"d seen it live. At the time I had not yet, since I was seeing him with Opeth and Katatonia that particular night, and Index was not on the setlist due to time constraints because of there being 3 bands that one show only. Upon me saying "no" he took the time to describe the entire song's stage performance to me, describing the screen coming down and the projections over it. The next time I went to see him Index was still in the setlist and it has been at every single subsequent show and I still love it. The most recent time I took a moment to tell him about my glaucoma and the fact that my goal now is to see him live as many times as I can before I lose my sight. He was visibly take aback and didn't know what to say for a moment. That was during the HCE first leg. I had back stage passes for the second leg as well but I didn't use them because he was sick and I knew he needed to rest before NYC The following night (not that it helped - Ninet ended up having to sing most of his stuff that night as some of you may know/recall).

I've met John Wesley, the first time was just after he was standing in the streets of Philadelphia directing Marillion's tour bus because it was a tight turn. I told him that the next time I met him and he replied "wow I must have been really drunk!"

BTW Nick has met John Wesley too. Nick's still waiting for John to come back. (:lol :lol )

I've met Colin Edwin. I asked him why he always smirks like that, and he replied - not kidding here - "I'd tell you but then I"d have to kill you". :rollin

I've met Steve Hogarth from Marillion, twice, and got a hug so big that his security guard tried to come over and make me let go and H waved him off and said "no it's alright".

I've stood up on stage during Pierce the Veil's set at Van's Warped Tour and watched them from behind them while staying dry during the rain blast and filming my then-12-year-old daughter living her dream.

I can't quite remember everything. This will take some time and perhaps photo searching to jog my memory. It's tough getting old.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:59:17 AM by JustJen »

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2016, 06:45:02 AM »
oh and I also got a paycheck from Larry Flynt.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2016, 06:46:17 AM »
yep that was the tour Jen. :metal

Still have my t-shirt!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2016, 06:47:08 AM »

:tup :tup

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2016, 06:47:54 AM »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2016, 06:51:48 AM »
The biggest one for me is probably making food for James Gandolfini. My family's restaurant was the location where they shot the last scene of the Sopranos, and I met the actors who played Tony, Carmella, and AJ (no Meadow  >:(). I actually spent most of my day cooking and re-cooking the food that everyone was eating because it took so long to set up each different camera angle, that every time they started filming again the extras needed fresh food. James Gandolfini caught on at one point and started hanging out by the grill in between filming so he could snag some extra fries and whatnot :lol Super nice guy though.

Michael Strahan and his family were regulars for a while when they first moved to the area and their kitchen was getting redone, so I made him chocolate milkshakes a few times. I also sold Easter candy to Whoopi Goldberg once or twice. Both of them were also very nice.

I'm still bitter that I wasn't there the time Stephen Colbert stopped in  :censored

I've met axeman and peed in the bathroom James Gandolfini was on his way into during that scene. Does that count?

I use to live 2 minutes from ur restaurant axe. A friend of mine was Strahans nanny when he was living in Montclair as well.

I knew James Gandolfini pretty well. We had a few mutual friends.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2016, 06:55:19 AM »

Wondering what kind of work you did for him

...and if there are pictures. :eyebrows:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2016, 07:01:12 AM »

Wondering what kind of work you did for him

...and if there are pictures. :eyebrows:

Webmistressing. :eyebrows:

And, no.

Oh, also I made Charlie Dominici's forum/website for him. He called me on Easter a few years ago on my cellphone to discuss people spamming it. That was pretty cool. We're still friends on facebook and he tends to wish me Happy Birthday each year. :hat

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2016, 08:01:39 AM »
Jen, cool stories; when was that photo with Hogarth taken?  He looks good there.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »
With the original post deleted, it looks like b_f is chewing out Tempus  :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2016, 08:36:24 AM »

I use to live 2 minutes from ur restaurant axe. A friend of mine was Strahans nanny when he was living in Montclair as well.

Nice :hat Yeah, Strahan's ex wife still stops with his kids when they're in town. I've heard some... less than flattering stories about Michael Strahan over the course of the years :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »

Nice :hat Yeah, Strahan's ex wife still stops with his kids when they're in town. I've heard some... less than flattering stories about Michael Strahan over the course of the years :lol

I will refrain as I heard it first hand from my friend/nanny. Not my place to say.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2016, 09:13:11 AM »
All things aside that I have heard, the few times I met him he was a solid nice guy.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »
Oh, agreed, he was very nice and tipped well the times that he stopped in.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2016, 10:18:51 AM »
my ex wife and my kids hit your place often

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »
:tup well I take it that their experiences have been mostly good if they're there often  :coolio

If they were stopping in prior to 2013 there's a decent chance I've waited on them and/or cooked their food :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2016, 10:55:03 AM »
:tup well I take it that their experiences have been mostly good if they're there often  :coolio

If they were stopping in prior to 2013 there's a decent chance I've waited on them and/or cooked their food :lol
Let me rephrase bro. When the ex and I were married our family went often. It was literally 2 minutes from my house in Nutley. Guess you cooked me a few plates dude. ;D. I moved to Nutley in 2000 and just sold my house in 2014, we were there often.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »

Let me rephrase bro. When the ex and I were married our family went often. It was literally 2 minutes from my house in Nutley. Guess you cooked me a few plates dude. ;D. I moved to Nutley in 2000 and just sold my house in 2014, we were there often.

Oh in that case definitely :hat I was there sporadically through high school and college summers in the early 2000s, and then (more than) full time from 2010-2013 while I looked for a real job.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »

Oh in that case definitely :hat I was there sporadically through high school and college summers in the early 2000s, and then (more than) full time from 2010-2013 while I looked for a real job.

Then we did cross paths I guess thru food lol.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2016, 12:29:13 PM »
Jen, cool stories; when was that photo with Hogarth taken?  He looks good there.

Um let's see that was 2005, because it was my middle boy's tenth birthday and H sang him Happy Birthday that night.