Author Topic: Massive JP Q&A  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Massive JP Q&A
« on: March 29, 2016, 04:07:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M95W7WpMt1w

30 minutes of Q&A with JP at NAMM 2016

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Massive JP Q&A
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 04:48:14 PM »
Great video, thank you :)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »
That was fantastic!

"The Stallion"!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:05:05 PM »
That was really cool.  I love listening to him talk because he always has so much information to share.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:59:30 PM »
Anyone able to transcribe a few key points of interest? Ain't nobody got time for thirty minutes of YouTube.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 02:50:01 AM »
People just don't have the time for youtube anymore.

Calvin6s

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 03:10:38 AM »
(Just from memory - and didn't just finish watching it)
Talked about influence on technique such as vibrato (Iron Maiden)

Talked about the sharing personalities of the G3 and similar events.  A love fest, not a competition.

He gets inspiration to create music from collaborating with his bandmates.  Obviously Rudess in particular this go round.

Practiced at least 6 hours a day.  Does so more now, but considers soundcheck and show a part of that "guitar practice" block.  Has learned to appreciate taking time off from guitar now so he can come back with a fresh perspective.

At the time of recording, the Astonishing shows are right around the corner and the band hasn't even played a song straight from beginning to end yet.

Conditioning to get through 2+hour shows.  Hard to switch gears from rhythm to solo.  His comparison was different, but to keep it simple - like running a marathon and ending directly with the 100 yard dash.  So conditioning is vital.

Talked Mustang and Majesty guitar models.  It's a dream to have ideas for how to improve on the guitar design and have the ability to make it a reality.  Finds out his ideas aren't "out of the box", but talking to other guitarists confirms they had thought about the tiny little tweaks themselves  - a sign of success.

It's 30 minutes, so I might have missed a few topics.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 03:23:16 AM »
It was with the solo in UAGM that he realised he had a voice of his own on the guitar, and not just a mixture of other guitarists.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Calvin6s

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 03:27:46 AM »
Nice catch.  He mentioned it is hard for him to tell he was developing a voice (style) as opposed to just a mix of influences.  It took somebody else to tell him (Fates Warning's Frank Aresti).

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 07:14:11 AM »
Really cool video, thanks for posting!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »
I find that really short YT videos are kinda disappointing. I could have watched that for an hour.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »
He also talked with an italian accent at one point.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 08:45:57 AM »
Nice catch.  He mentioned it is hard for him to tell he was developing a voice (style) as opposed to just a mix of influences.  It took somebody else to tell him (Fates Warning's Frank Aresti).

Yeah, that was really cool.  When I saw them the last time on the last tour, I got to get in for sound check, and Frank and his wife were there on the side of the stage by JP.  After sound check, I was just hanging out in the auditorium, and the rest of the band had gone backstage to get ready, but JP stayed out and was talking with Frank, and you could tell that they have a really close friendship.  It was cool watching/listening to them interact.  (It was also cool getting to meet Frank myself, although I felt like a bit of a doofus with not much to say, since I have not really followed Fates that closely, especially in recent years, and couldn't even remember for sure at the time whether Frank had played on the most recent album)

Another funny/cool moment from the video was when John was talking about G3 and how he had drawn so much influence in his own playing from Satch, Vai, and Morse that when he was soloing with them initially, there was almost a moment of panic where he was mentally running through some of his go-to solo licks and having to scratch them from the list because they were taken right from those guys.  I liked the, "oh, Yngwie's not here; I can use that one!"  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »
Yes that was very funny. What's great about JP is that while he exudes confidence, he also exudes humility.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 09:00:09 AM »
Yes that was very funny. What's great about JP is that while he exudes confidence, he also exudes humility.

For sure.  I have noticed that very consistently every time I have interacted with him.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »
I am amazed at how easily John can explain what he does and make it understandable even for people like me who are not musicians. Plus, he's a very humble person, just like Mike Mangini. Can see why they got along so well now.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 08:08:33 AM »

For sure.  I have noticed that very consistently every time I have interacted with him.

However - Andy James - I've worked with him a few times and each time he's been completely arrogant, whinges about *everything* and slags off all other guitarists and guitar / amps that he's not

currently using. He was thinking about a new amp endorsement. I suggested Blackstar Amps - to which he replies " They're fucking SHIT - their artist relations are AWFUL ".

Lo and behold - two years later he's endorsing Blackstar. I am so tempted to tell a Blackstar rep what he said about them ... :lol

But seriously. Really arrogant nasty person.  Polar opposite of Petrucci.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 03:24:08 PM »
I really enjoyed this video.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 05:34:46 PM »
This is a great interview, Thanks for posting, now JP hurry up and get back to Australia with the band!  :smiley:

Offline Bill

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 04:24:13 AM »
I could listen to this man all day. Fascinating stuff, so articulate and engaging. Minimum of six hours a day practice to be able to 'live with himself'.  :hefdaddy