Author Topic: Octavarium is Dream Theater's most underrated album.  (Read 6200 times)

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
Octavarium is Dream Theater's most underrated album.
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:51:08 AM »
[09:43:53] * @bacong np: Dream Theater - Octavarium (23:58) [Octavarium / 2005] (320)
[09:44:05] <@bacong> a lot of people don't fuckin LOEV this song and I don't know why
[09:44:33] <+sivril> i just listened to Score the nigh tbefore last at work
[09:44:43] <+sivril> first time listening to the ST track in a long time
[09:44:47] <+sivril> i love 8VM
[09:44:59] <+sivril> i forgot about the instrumental section of sacrificed sons too
[09:45:08] <+sivril> which is awesome
[09:45:26] <+sivril> then i had fucking these walls stuck in my head today at work too lol
[09:45:36] <+sivril> TROAE is a great song
[09:45:42] <@bacong> fuck yeah it is sivril
[09:45:49] <@bacong> these walls rules
[09:45:49] <+stroker> bacong np: aidsdia - the walls made of different
[09:45:50] <+sivril> they opened with that song 3 of the 5 times ive seen them live
[09:45:51] <+stroker> already opened the pool's heating unit, put your massive cock
[09:46:05] <@bacong> sivril
[09:46:13] <@bacong> all of sacrificed sons is awesome
[09:46:22] <@bacong> especially the riff coming out of the instrumental section
[09:46:28] <@bacong> for the verse
[09:46:32] <@bacong> shit RIDES
[09:46:35] <+sivril> yeah it is
[09:46:43] <+sivril> i really like SS
[09:47:02] <+sivril> but i love the instrumental so much im kinda bored thru the first couple verses
[09:47:06] <+sivril> waiting for the badass part
[09:47:06] <@bacong> bout to make an impassioned post on DTF about how Octavarium is their most underrated album
[09:47:24] <+sivril> i am stoked as fuck to see the astonishing tour
[09:47:28] <+sivril> been listening to a shitton of DT agian lately[09:47:28] <+stroker> and be like but she will not a shitton of blini for the band ghost?
[09:47:36] <+sivril> hahahahaha
[09:47:44] <+sivril> link it to me
[09:48:05] <+sivril> wow i haven't listened to the studio version of these walls in a fucking long time
[09:48:21] <+sivril> its good as fuck
[09:48:49] <@bacong> yeah dude

Offline Dulcinea

Re: Octavarium is Dream Theater's most underrated album.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 07:57:24 AM »
sivril here, also vouching for 8VM as most underrated

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
sivril here, also vouching for 8VM as most underrated

lol sup

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »
[09:59:01] <@bacong> sivril the last part of this song is GOAT
[09:59:09] <+sivril> yeah the last 10 min are fucking solid
[09:59:17] <@bacong> from the whole trapped inside part to the end
[09:59:24] <@bacong> razor's edge is a top 3 petrucci solo
[09:59:27] <+sivril> i like the crazy verses too
[09:59:33] <+sivril> oh fuck yeah that one is great

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »
JESUS CHRIST THIS UNISON IN OCTAVARIUM AT LIKE 16 MINUTES

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 08:04:47 AM »
8vm is awesome. Not just the title track, just consistently great throughout even if some songs are a bit derivative.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 08:37:34 AM »
I thought Octavarium was highly rated. I'd say Systematic Chaos or Dream Theater are more underrated than this one.

Offline Wither

• We're Dream Theater and this next one's called...
  • "Watch how many notes we can play!"
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 10:37:01 AM »
I thought Octavarium was highly rated. I'd say Systematic Chaos or Dream Theater are more underrated than this one.

THIS
I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down. And all my best creations, burning to the ground. The thought of starting over, leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again, another one that got away.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 10:55:01 AM »
Octavarium is dreadfully underrated. There's so much going on with the album. Even though it has one of my least favorite songs, Never Enough, everything else is brilliant. There's a bit of everything that makes up Dream Theater on that album. The song itself is a Top 5 song for me.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »
I actually really like Never Enough!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »
Eh, except for the title track all the songs are too one-dimensional for me. TA makes me remember how much I like crazy song structures.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »

I agree. As good as the title song is, the whole album is among the 3rd, 4th or 5th worst album of DT.

(Systematic Chaos is also among the worst, but it's not underrated.)

Offline ChrisPierman

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 02:36:01 PM »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »

I agree. As good as the title song is, the whole album is among the 3rd, 4th or 5th worst album of DT.

Sebastian was talking about the album. And he's right, it's one of their most well liked albums after the big four.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Bill

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »
As a new fan, this is the 4th album I've listened to after TA, I&W and SFAM. I really enjoy it, and think it's really strong. It will have been said a million times before but I Walk Beside You...what is a U2 track doing on. Dream Theater album?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 04:36:28 PM »
It's my all time #1 Dream Theater album...no contest.  So anything less than that, and I would consider it to be underrated.

It *IS* Dream Theater's "mission statement".   It is everything Dream Theater is in a single album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 04:53:07 PM »
As a new fan, this is the 4th album I've listened to after TA, I&W and SFAM. I really enjoy it, and think it's really strong. It will have been said a million times before but I Walk Beside You...what is a U2 track doing on. Dream Theater album?

Raising the bar of said album because it's a powerful, uplifting, memorable and catchy song  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 06:44:36 PM »
I respect what they were doing on 8VM, but it has never connected with me much. Some songs are drab by their standards, Sacrificed Sons is a bit cringeworthy, and I find the title track bloated. I absolutely love the U2 song though!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »
Yep, the album was in great territory for me until the Never Enough - Sacrificed Sons combo. A matter of personal taste, though, because songs like Sacrificed Sons, TMOLS and In the Name of God just do not appeal to me (which are...long and slow songs?).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »

Octavarium seems to be all over the map at best, but most people seem to rate the title track highly and the album moderately low from my observation.
The song itself gets most of the love it deserves, but I agree that the album is definitely underrated. TROAE, TW, PA, and SS and 8V are all amazing and almost all of them top 20 for me (and the rest not far off). And the theme/concept of the album is even more genius than the analyses give it credit for.

I wouldn't call DT12 underrated, because that implies it deserves to be ranked higher than it is, which it doesn't.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 09:48:05 PM »
TROAE, TW and PA are indeed gems in the DT catalogue. The Root of All Evil is the strongest album opener among DT's non-concept albums. My love for These Walls is like that of Peruvian Skies. And Panic Attack is just John Myung going  :hefdaddy

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 01:36:26 AM »
I think the song 8vm is overrated bigtime, but the album is definitely a bit underrated yeah, whatever that means these days.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 03:28:55 AM »
Octavarium seems to be all over the map at best, but most people seem to rate the title track highly and the album moderately low from my observation.
The song itself gets most of the love it deserves, but I agree that the album is definitely underrated. TROAE, TW, PA, and SS and 8V are all amazing and almost all of them top 20 for me (and the rest not far off). And the theme/concept of the album is even more genius than the analyses give it credit for.

I wouldn't call DT12 underrated, because that implies it deserves to be ranked higher than it is, which it doesn't.
Oh, OK.
I agree with you on "Sacrificed Sons" and the album concept.
But I disagree on DT12 - if the mix was better, and the drums sounded more 'real', I think it would be seen as an amazing album. The songwriting is gold in my opinion, and every member gets many shining moments, but yeah, the sound can disappoint at times.

Back on topic: I think the booklet, which includes the staffs with the key signatures, is the coolest booklet to me - as a guitarist, I had always hoped to find something more interesting in CD booklets than lyrics or pictures.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 05:06:13 AM »
I think the terms Underrated and Overrated should be used far less. It seems to make one's own opinion the arbiter of which opinion is correct. Especially overrated, which says "YOU LIKE THIS TOO MUCH, YOU SHOULD LIKE IT LESS". Not accusing everyone using those terms as being egotistical, but the implications of those words just irk me a bit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2016, 07:07:04 AM »
Octavarium is the BEST album.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »
Isn't 8V already pretty well praised? Not in the tier of their Big 4, but I don't think many fans regard it as low as, say, BC&SL or DT12. The latter of which I'd more readily call "underrated" since I still like it more than most seem to. But...

I think the terms Underrated and Overrated should be used far less. It seems to make one's own opinion the arbiter of which opinion is correct. Especially overrated, which says "YOU LIKE THIS TOO MUCH, YOU SHOULD LIKE IT LESS". Not accusing everyone using those terms as being egotistical, but the implications of those words just irk me a bit.

Agreed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »
Based on my rankings, I would consider it a tad overrated - I would put it as their 9th or 10th best studio album, but it often seems to be a little higher than cumulatively - but that is splitting hairs.  Even though none of the songs stand out much other than the title track, it is still a nice listen from start to finish, especially ending with the great title track.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 11:51:53 AM »
Octavarium is the perfect representation of everything that Dream Theater is. It feels like a culmination of everything they had accomplished at that point. It's such a great album and one of only two without a mediocre song on in (Images and Words being the other although I prefer Scenes as a full album over both of them). The title track is the perfect song, and the other seven tracks all hold up to it as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
To me this was the last truly great album of the Portnoy era.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »

Count me in on that. SC and BCaSL sound somewhat less driven to me. ADToE and DT12 I think went back to the ethos of 8vm, making very notable changes within a solid forumula with plenty of ambition and focus.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »

Yep.

Offline Wither

• We're Dream Theater and this next one's called...
  • "Watch how many notes we can play!"
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 05:18:56 PM »
Actually, I think SC was the last of the Portnoy era. Seriously, his drumming in that album is just plain fun and awesome. Everything about him is.
I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down. And all my best creations, burning to the ground. The thought of starting over, leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again, another one that got away.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
For me, the last great album from the Portnoy era was Black Clouds and Silver Linings.

As for Octavarium, it's a pretty good album overall. I'm not the biggest fan of These Walls, I Walk Beside You and Never Enough, but I still enjoy listening to them when I listen to the album as a whole.

Also, The Root of All Evil and Sacrificed Sons are probably amongst my favorite Dream Theater songs ever.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 07:03:08 AM »

Yep.

Oh yea. I'd agree with this. Absolutely fantastic album.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 08:46:36 AM »

Raising the bar of said album because it's a powerful, uplifting, memorable and catchy song  :metal

Easily in my Top Ten DT songs of all time. 

Perhaps it is because I am also a U2 fan, but honestly, I do not get the reference.  I really don't (I don't see it in "To Live Forever", either).   Maybe it's the inspiration, but I don't hear very much U2 in any of DT's work, to be honest.    Perhaps it's because I think The Edge is a pretty singular guitar player, and I don't hear much of that in Petrucci's work.