Author Topic: How much is your tax refund/tax and what are you doing with your refund?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Just entered everything.  Didn't submit yet, I want to make sure it's right...

Due to me being on unemployment last year and my wife's earnings being 1099's, among other things, I owe the government $1700.

I'm fucked.

:'(
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Calvin6s

Due to me being on unemployment last year and my wife's earnings being 1099's, among other things, I owe the government $1700.

I'm fucked.

If you can pay it and still pay for the necessities of life, I suggest you don't mess around.  Credit card companies ain't got shit on the government.  If you can't pay, then call up (and wait on hold) to talk to a live person and request a hardship payment plan.  It can keep some of the penalties at bay.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Roughly 500 dollars. Was planning on getting my first MIDI Keyboard (though I haven't looked at models yet). Something fairly cheap with versatility that is good for a beginner.

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
Roughly 500 dollars. Was planning on getting my first MIDI Keyboard (though I haven't looked at models yet). Something fairly cheap with versatility that is good for a beginner.

Drop me a pm if you want help with that :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
jesus, what's up with people receiving money in the thousands? :lol in my country a couple hundred is like the norm, not 10 times as much
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Rich, what is the % of taxes taken out weekly for you?  Mine is at 29%.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
~$1000...gonna pay off a huge bill, then I can buy a laptop with regular money in a couple months and job hunt my way to something that'll get me my weekends back and be out of retail for good.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Got my check from the state today. Felt good to hold my first refund check since 1997.

Offline Manolito Mystiq

I get money from the government because of my disability, but I should get more than what they give me each month. Every six months it will be corrected and then I will get around €1000.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...

I'm fucked.

If you can pay it and still pay for the necessities of life, I suggest you don't mess around.  Credit card companies ain't got shit on the government.  If you can't pay, then call up (and wait on hold) to talk to a live person and request a hardship payment plan.  It can keep some of the penalties at bay.

You can definitely apply for a payment plan.  A few years ago I owed about $800.00, which I of course didn't really have.  Call them and explain your situation and they will work with you, but definitely don't put it off.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
splent, CLICK ME!

IRS *will* work with you, if you can't get the OPA tool to work. Give 'em a shout - 800-829-0922

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
We got back about $2K. Paid some credit card payments and other bill payments, gave my student loan an extra $500 payment, bringing the total down to just $1300 (yeah at 43 my loans should be paid off but I didn't even go to school until 1998 and again in 2005, and this was for two degrees, not just one, so it took awhile). Got groceries and gas a couple of times. Have a couple hundred left. I miss the days of being able to claim all three kids. Now we can only claim one. They used to be good for about $2500 apiece per year.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Kids are a tax deduction??

Does.  Not.  Compute.

Anyway, woke up to my bank balance being a shit-ton higher than it was yesterday.  :happydance:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004

Does.  Not.  Compute.

Anyway, woke up to my bank balance being a shit-ton higher than it was yesterday.  :happydance:

are you kidding me?

Of course kids are tax deductions. They're the biggest one you'll ever get. If someone gets back $10K, they usually have 4 kids. Multiply out as required.

Edit: you really never saw stories in the paper about foster families who get in trouble for having like 9 foster kids and pocketing most of the tax refund money and county allowance money they're paid for the benefit of taking care of the kids? They take on more and more kids because that's how you get more and more money. Some counties even give you more cash assistance ("welfare") per month if you have more kids (A lot of people don't know that cash assistance is limited to five years total per lifetime, so don't worry - people don't sit around for decades collecting welfare money instead of working. They sit around collecting DISABILITY instead of working, but if anyone can get approved for that they deserve to have it. That is hard to get, boy, lemme tell ya). I knew a family once who kept having kids until the policy ended. They were having more kids to get more money. These were not smart people.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Does.  Not.  Compute.

are you kidding me?

Of course kids are tax deductions. They're the biggest one you'll ever get. If someone gets back $10K, they usually have 4 kids. Multiply out as required.

Interesting.  Certain child-care expenses can be tax-deductible up here, but just the fact of having pro-created is not a tax deduction.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
I guess they're an EXEMPTION not a deduction. I suppose that matters.

"In 2015, you can claim a $4,000 exemption for each qualifying child, which may include your child or stepchild, foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or descendants of any of these, such as your grandchild. To qualify for the exemption, the child must live with you more than half of the year and be under 19 at the end of the year, or under 24 and a full-time student for the year (defined as attending school for at least part of five calendar months during the year)."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
My wife had cancer last year and the medical bills piled up. We are trying hard to pay down debt. So that's where our money went.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess they're an EXEMPTION not a deduction. I suppose that matters.

"In 2015, you can claim a $4,000 exemption for each qualifying child, which may include your child or stepchild, foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or descendants of any of these, such as your grandchild. To qualify for the exemption, the child must live with you more than half of the year and be under 19 at the end of the year, or under 24 and a full-time student for the year (defined as attending school for at least part of five calendar months during the year)."

Ok... gotchya.  We have some child benefits/tax exemptions and/or credits, but nothing like just swiping $4k off your total taxable income.  At least, I don't think that's how it works - I wouldn't truly know as I haven't done my own taxes since 1998.