Author Topic: How much is your tax refund/tax and what are you doing with your refund?  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I'm just curious to see what people are doing with their refunds - if anything.  Of course the refund amount isn't necessarily a function of how much you make, my refund amount is about the same now as it was when I made about a third of what I make currently.

I'm getting $2170, and unfortunately it is probably going toward moving expenses or just chopping down student loans.  Something happened at work that is making me want to get the hell out of there, so I'm looking for a new job.  Even if I have to stick it out another year, my landlord is thinking of moving back to Cali and wants to sell the place and likely won't renew for another year anyway.

I did buy about $100 worth of board games though, just so I can have a little fun with it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I'm getting $3950 back this year. A good $500ish will go to paying off a hit and run to my car (already paid the rest), $400 will go to finishing my boat and new camping gear, $350 toward lighting for my hydroponic rig, $1000 will go towards the roof fund,, and the rest will hopefully be part of a down payment on a new Toyota Tacoma.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
I ended up with between $2000-2500. It all went into savings for future home or car repairs and little bit in the vacation fund.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
$2000.00 and I bought my first ride on mower.   19 hp, 46" width & a bagger!!! Getting delivered next week.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
I don't know what I'm getting back yet (probably not anything more than $1000).  I thought about splurging and buying a bass guitar I've been wanting, but I haven't decided.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Man....
My wife's primary income is a 1099.

I owe.

No way around it.

I haven't even done that yet and I still owe some from last year. It isn't outlandish, but I HATE owing, but can't avoid it right now due to my teaching job being far away and paying not too good and my wife being paid 1099 completely and then I also have an additional 1099 job...

I wish I had a $2000 refund I could pay off what I owe the government and have a bunch left over
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Like $300.

I paid bills.

...my name is Araragi.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Being a commissioned sales rep, I get back a lot.  I could have the company deduct less throughout the year, but with my variable pay being just that - variable - I don't want to get into a scenario where the company doesn't take enough, and I end up owing at the end of the year- I look at it as forced savings (sadly, interest-free though).  Last year was my best year ever, so I'm expecting a big chunk.  It'll pay off the balance of the Disney cruise we've booked for August - jingle.kids 16th b-day gift.  Not sure what I'll do with the rest - probably invest it.  Though, there are some really cool things on indiegogo I've been eyeing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I claim 0 married and have an extra $15 taken out every week and we never get back more than 2 grand.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
We received a tad over $10k....you gotta love having three kids :metal  We've been pretty diligent about saving all the medical receipts as well..

We knocked out our $5k credit card bill.....and we've recently had to buy (2) new vehicles so we used some for sales tax also. That was a tough pill to swallow, going from the past 8 years of no car payments to two within a month of each other. Oh well....them's da brakes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
$1300

I wasn't supposed to get anything really, but I applied for educational tax credits which brought it up to $1300, so it works for me. I am using it to pay bills.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Only around $600 but that's mainly due to no deductible items and less interest in student loans than last year. I may be getting to that point where I need to buy a house or something.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
We received a tad over $10k....you gotta love having three kids :metal   
>:(

Just bought a car so all excess money I make is going to replenish my house down payment fund. On the bright side my return was higher than normal. My medical expenses aren't enough to surpass the standard deduction, so I'm not sure why it's higher now than the last two years. Eh, fuck'it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Bart, when I had lymphoma, I came up $460 short from claiming all my medical bills. I was pissed.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
That is a fucking bummer!

I got something like $1700 back altogether. It went straight into my savings (trying to build that back up after practically emptying it for my condo down payment) but then a little bit came out for travel expenses.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Bart, when I had lymphoma, I came up $460 short from claiming all my medical bills. I was pissed.
Even with the transplant I was borderline, but some creativity can pretty easily make up a $460 gap.  The problem is that just meeting that 19% of AGI doesn't necessarily make any difference. You've got to surpass it by enough to make it an improvement over the standard deductible. The two years I was able to itemize my return made me an extra $600 or so.

Instead of getting a kidney I should have knocked up a few women. Judging from Gary that seems to be the way to really get on the IRS's good side. Sell them to the white slavers and then fake their deaths once they're old enough for school. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Hmmm.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I squeezed every paid bill for medication, hospital bills. You name it.

Calvin6s

Medical related bills are extremely difficult to have any serious affect on tax liability.  It became worse under Obamacare/ACA as it raised the floor.

The best (and more common) ways to lower your tax liability beyond the standard deduction is mortgage/property taxes, retirement savings, charity donations and kids.  Moving expenses can help quickly as well, but that's not an annual event.

Just review the W4.  It is essentially a "cheat sheet".  And if you have relatively stable life circumstances (employers - forget about it), you can usually use your tax software so your return is much lower.  The goal is to have as low a return as possible without it turning into a payment (which can have penalties and interest).  A tax return is just a year long CD with 0% interest return.

EDIT:  If you don't have decent access to a 401k, don't give up.  Look into IRAs.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well the limit to claim at the time was 5 grand.  I tried to work it to 5 but couldn't.

Calvin6s

The medical tax deduction is one of the most frustrating deductions.  The last time I tried it, it was a 7.5% floor (had to look it up because it was raised to 10% under Obamacare).

I handled it for my parents with a father that has a similar situation to El Barto.  My mother kept every out of pocket medical expense she could.  I spent more time scanning and creating a relatively simple spreadsheet than all the time spent doing the rest of every other aspect of the their tax return.  And their return is not W2 done 1040EZ easy.

I was able to get quite a bit from charitable donations (to places like Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc).  But trying to get anything worthwhile past that medical floor was Man of La Mancha.

For those that just do the standard deduction, or more likely, too young to even mess with that medical expense floor, it works more or less like this:
Let's say you make $50,000
Your first $5,000 of out of pocket (not insurance paid) are not tax deductible.  $50,000 x 10% = $5,000 floor.

Well if you make $50,000 (gross, not take home), then $5,000 is quite a bite out of your budget.  Let's say you manage to make it to $7,500.  You get to write off $7,500-$5,000= $2,500.  That's a write off, not refund.  If your tax rate is 23%, that means $575 (23% of $2,500) toward your tax liability.  But not refundable.  And not on top of your standard deduction.  So you would have to have something like a big mortgage / property tax to first clear that standard deduction level.

Well, if you have major medical problems and only making $50,000 (usually the healthy spouse), the odds are very high that you had to give up your house to make ends meet.

Make more money so you can keep that house right?  Well, the floor follows you.  So if you get that $100,000/yr job, your medical floor is now $10,000.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
I wound up owing the state about $2000.  For whatever reason, my payroll department underwithheld.  For federal I am getting a $700 refund.  I need to give them an updated state w4.

Calvin6s

That sucks.  All states are different, but hopefully you aren't in California.  CA FTB can be quite difficult with the penalties and interest.  The rule of thumb in CA is if you have to choose between paying your IRS debt or CA FTB debt, CA FTB first every time.

How did the employer mess up the state W4 (DE4 in California)?  Make sure it was your employer's problem and not yours.  The employer doesn't decide how much you need to withhold.  That is the employee's determination, at least in CA.

I know people that fill out W4s and DE4s as if it is some meaningless paperwork.  Lots of tax software these days help you fill these out more precisely.

One time the employer did put in the wrong deductions according to what I filled out.  But I caught it the first paycheck.  It took them months to fix because the HR payroll person was kind of a b*tch to everybody and would fight everything, as if deductions are right and wrong.  The employee fills it out, the employer honors it unless the state/fed makes some type of garnishment request.  In my case, the employer filled it out where my withholdings were too high so even though I had less take home for a couple of months, at least I didn't have to worry about penalties and interest for under withholding.

As far as tax refund splurges, it always went straight into savings/investments.  The idea that it is *free money* to blow is foreign to me.  I've become so frugal through out my life, that I actually have a hard time spending money.  It just creates stress.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
My return was so low that it was deposited into my account and spent before I even realized it. :emo:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
That sucks.  All states are different, but hopefully you aren't in California.  CA FTB can be quite difficult with the penalties and interest.  The rule of thumb in CA is if you have to choose between paying your IRS debt or CA FTB debt, CA FTB first every time.

Lol fuck the CA FTB :D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
As far as tax refund splurges, it always went straight into savings/investments.  The idea that it is *free money* to blow is foreign to me.  I've become so frugal through out my life, that I actually have a hard time spending money.  It just creates stress.

I'm sort of this way. Any money I get from refunds goes straight into the bank for whatever I need to pay off next. It just means I have a little bit more of a buffer in my fluid funds than I did previously but that's it.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I got a little over $2k, it just went into savings for a house, although I really wanted to buy a vr headset.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I get about $1,200 a year, and got a few bucks more than that this year.

I used about $150 to finish paying off one of my student loans (that I was naturally about to payoff anyway). That got me $60/month more to spend. So I traded in my 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid, and used $800 as a down payment and now am the happy new owner of a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid. I want to note that I didn't buy either hybrid for that reason, the first one was used and I loved the car, and for the Crosstrek the Hybrid trim came with some features I really wanted.

The remainder was spent tonight when I scheduled with Uhaul to put a hitch on the car.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Woo new car! I should start looking into those, but the longer I can go without a payment the better.

Side note: When I bought my condo a year ago everybody was like "omg you're gonna love your tax return next year!" But it was the same as last year, pretty much, because I didn't actually pay any property taxes last year. They all come out this year for last year. So I guess my 2017 return will be more awesome.

Calvin6s

It has been quite a while since I purchased a home and I set up an escrow account (the T and I in PITI).  I don't recall exactly how it went down, but you might have a delayed property tax payment (or it was taken care of as part of the closing package).  So pay close attention that you don't get ripped off by not getting your tax return based off property tax.  Also watch out if you paid any points on the mortgage as I think those can be written off immediately.

Did you buy late in the year?  I bought in March, so it allowed more time for the paperwork to catch up.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
No, I bought in March. The statement they sent in the mail said my taxes for 2015 were being paid in two installments this year (I forget which months). And no points.

Calvin6s

Did you get a 1098?  It is also common to get a supplemental property tax the first year (like a utility pro-rate for not starting exactly on the first day of the billing cycle).  Make sure your 1098 lines up with your actual taxes paid the first year.  Especially if you have the escrow account for TI where you don't physically write out the check yourself so it can feel like you didn't pay for something but you actually did.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
We received a tad over $10k....you gotta love having three kids :metal   
>:(

Don't hate the playa'....hate the game   :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Did you get a 1098?  It is also common to get a supplemental property tax the first year (like a utility pro-rate for not starting exactly on the first day of the billing cycle).  Make sure your 1098 lines up with your actual taxes paid the first year.  Especially if you have the escrow account for TI where you don't physically write out the check yourself so it can feel like you didn't pay for something but you actually did.

Yeah, 1098 says $0 paid in taxes and the property tax statement says "taxes for 2015 due in 2016" or something like that. I won't pretend to understand this stuff at all but I guess that is how they do it in CO.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
5k. Most of it goes into the bank to pad the accounts with a small percentage being put towards a little something for my better half.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
My tax return has been deposited to my bank a few weeks ago (both state and fed) for a total of $6k.  Paying interest on the house is a nice deduction.

Anyway, I put it all into my bank account for now.  I think when I am ready I will use that as down payment on a new car that I have been eyeing and is a goal of mine this year.