Author Topic: I've got a confession to make...  (Read 11324 times)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: I've got a confession to make...
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2016, 01:58:10 PM »
So you not listen to disc 2?? And leave the rest of story of the Astonishing?? Ooh man, you have missed the greatest music and story from Dream Theater.  :-[ :'(

He listened to it and didn't like it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2016, 04:44:23 PM »
I know a few people who really enjoy it so you're basically saying they like absolute trash music.

Eh, if the trash can lid fits...

It does...right over Lars Ulrich's snare drum.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2016, 07:38:01 PM »
So, I've got a confession to make, too
And maybe some off you, or all of you, will not believe at all about this my confession

I swear, I never listen to any Dream Theater song but The Astonishing, since January 29, 2016. Yes, since The Astonishing release for the first time, I listen to it, and until now, I haven't listened to another Dream Theater song, expect The Astonishing Album. And I have finish listen to the whole song from The Astonishing, in order, from first track until the last track, multiple times. Feel free for you to believe it or not, hahaha

I don't know, I think I am not just listen to music at all. I feel like watch a movie, read a tale while listen to the Astonishing. Really, for me, the astonishing is very different thing from Dream Theater.  So it is not like other album before, when you can pick 1 song as your favorite song. No, it's the whole thing, every song in this album.
I am kind of man, who very love some kind of fantasy or tale, or story, where I can use my imagination to build it in my mind and make it real in my head and imagination. I always do like this when I was kid. And as man who love music, I always make my own music as some kind of soundtrack for every piece of storyline or event in my imagination.

And here now, my very favorite band in the world just give me  their music, with a story, a tale, a fantasy, with some pictures of characters & places in their story to help their fans can create the fans magination about how their music and story in it.
How can I disappoint, or dissatisfied and reject this gift???
To be honest, if I listening to any song from the Astonishing, my head always try to make my own imagination about what storyline or what event that happen in that song. And I very love it man, really

So you not listen to disc 2?? And leave the rest of story of the Astonishing?? Ooh man, you have missed the greatest music and story from Dream Theater.  :-[ :'(

Sorry for bad English, I am from Indonesia hehehe  ;D

Oh that's a great confession. It's great, you have about one thousand hours of never heard DT music to listen to.  You will love a lot of it!
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2016, 07:43:17 PM »
It says something about a person's complex when they resort to obtuse and sophomoric insults as opposed to expressing their disdain in a more respectful manner.

I think that people have to give this album a chance by listening to it many times. I doubt someone loved it right from the first listen. And then, like it or not or just part of it. And people have to respect that.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2016, 08:10:11 AM »
I think that people have to give this album a chance by listening to it many times. I doubt someone loved it right from the first listen.
I loved it right from the first listen.  So did many other fans.

I don't even get where you are coming from.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2016, 08:36:35 AM »
I think that people have to give this album a chance by listening to it many times. I doubt someone loved it right from the first listen.

I'm with Hef on this point. I actually was lucky enough to get the CD a couple days early. I can see how some people might not have enjoyed it the first time due to the length, but I cleared my schedule to listen to this much anticipated piece and just loved it from the first spin, and still do. :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2016, 08:52:19 AM »
I had goosebumps on the first listen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »

I didn't like it after first listen, I didn't dislike it either, I just couldn't really digest the music since it was too much and so many tracks and was also just trying to follow the story instead of listening to the music intricacies.  Took a few listens to get a better grip on the album and start to really love it.  But just like some dislike it on first listen, some also like it on first listen.  It's not a crazy idea and no reason to doubt it isn't possible.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »

One of those who loved it on the first listen.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »

It's just a thought but if you really want to know, i'm coming from Mars  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2016, 09:51:24 PM »
red barchetta: giving Rush fans a bad name since October 08, 2011.

:P

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2016, 07:40:19 AM »

It's just a thought but if you really want to know, i'm coming from Mars  :rollin
It's a wrong thought.

No doubt that some people reacted that way, but it isn't the way everyone came to like it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2016, 08:02:44 AM »
red barchetta: giving Rush fans a bad name since October 08, 2011.

:P

Really? That much? You really don't have any idea who I am and how much I'm a very big fan of Rush, the soundtrack of my life. :P

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2016, 08:04:43 AM »

It's a wrong thought.

No doubt that some people reacted that way, but it isn't the way everyone came to like it.

I agree with your last sentence but it does not mean my thought is wrong since a lot of people had to listen to it many times to like it.  :tup

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2016, 10:21:58 AM »

It's a wrong thought.

I agree with your last sentence but it does not mean my thought is wrong since a lot of people had to listen to it many times to like it.  :tup

I think he was talking about this part. That is definitely wrong.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2016, 09:12:47 PM »

It's a wrong thought.

I think he was talking about this part. That is definitely wrong.

Yes, it's possible one person liked it from start to finish after just one listen but that's something I had not notice yet on the forum so that's why I was saying that. ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2016, 09:20:56 PM »

Offline AndersT2

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2016, 11:10:42 PM »
Have to admit that I also isn't a big fan of the New album. It could have been great if the guys had balls enough to do it right. I love LaBrie, but he can't pull off all the characters good enough to make them stand out. DT should have had enough balls to say this is a different type of album for us, and we'll do it really different, and had gone the Ayreon/Avantasia route With having different vocalists for the different parts, With LaBrie having the main part. He's been part of that on "Human Equation", and that album is for me one of the best albums ever made. (Looking forward to the live release later this year).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2016, 05:49:39 AM »
I disagree.  Doing that would have made the album too similar to The Human Equation, generally speaking; the songwriting on The Astonishing is far better.  Then again, even though I like some of Ayreon's stuff a lot, THE is pretty average.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2016, 10:15:01 AM »
I disagree.  Doing that would have made the album too similar to The Human Equation, generally speaking; the songwriting on The Astonishing is far better.  Then again, even though I like some of Ayreon's stuff a lot, THE is pretty average.

THE is easily the best thing Arjen has ever done and is probably better than any of the DT albums as a whole.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2016, 07:14:39 PM »
Er, no. Just, no.  I'd take every DT album over THE and definitely The Dream Sequencer and Into the Electric Castle.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2016, 08:37:50 PM »
Er, no. Just, no.  I'd take every DT album over THE and definitely The Dream Sequencer and Into the Electric Castle.

I concur.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2016, 09:18:01 PM »
THE is easily the best thing Arjen has ever done and is probably better than any of the DT albums as a whole.

I'm middle of the road. I agree THE is the best Ayreon album, but i prefer 4 or 5 DT albums over it.

THE x TA though, is not even a contest for me. I don't like TA at all.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2016, 11:55:17 PM »
Hum, if you say so. Think whatever makes you happy if my answer does not satisfy you. But really, not to many liked TA from start to finish on just one listen. And the ones who liked it, GOOD FOR THEM lol