Author Topic: Wither's Food For Thought  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Wither

• We're Dream Theater and this next one's called...
  • "Watch how many notes we can play!"
Wither's Food For Thought
« on: March 20, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
Stuff goes down in school a lot. I live an interesting, interesting life and to say that I have an interesting life is an understatement. Here, I will post whatever happens at school that either ticks me off or makes me laugh like hell. Enjoy!

This one happened just yesterday..... :angry:

A school administrator said to me that:
"You need to control your profanity around the middle schoolers"
And I said: "I hate going to school with middle schoolers. They always crowd the hallways during passing so I have to push them out of the way, and when I do profanity usually comes out of my mouth."
She replied: "Well you're too young to use that language"
My response: "I'm a senior. Pretty soon I'll be able to take a bullet for this country and yet you have a problem with me saying the word fuck."
She replied: "I understand that you're excited to leave"
My Response: "Yeah, I'm excited to see this place burn down after I commit my senior prank."
She replied: "That type of attitude isn't necessary. I'm asking you for a favor. I want you to be mature here, remember that you're supposed to be a leader."
My Response: "Asking me not to use profanity is like asking Charlie Sheen to become celibate. It's not gonna happen!"
Her response: "If you keep this up I'll have to make a phone call home."
My Response; "Oh please do. I'd like to hear my parents use profane language towards you because you're disrupting their day to let them know that a senior in high school was using profanity. You act as if using profanity at my age is absurd."
She response: "Just get to class!"
My Response: "Damn. I was hoping that you'd keep talking to me so I'll be late."
I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down. And all my best creations, burning to the ground. The thought of starting over, leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again, another one that got away.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Wither's Food For Thought
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:55:21 PM »
Lol high school
My senior year I got a bunch of detention (and the cops at my house) for an incident involving pink fuzzy slippers.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »
Lol high school
My senior year I got a bunch of detention (and the cops at my house) for an incident involving pink fuzzy slippers.

:corn
Do tell.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »
You sound like a dick.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 08:43:44 PM »
Stuff goes down in school a lot. I live an interesting, interesting life and to say that I have an interesting life is an understatement.
Yeah, I recall high school being pure adrenaline mob all day long punching teachers in the throat, smashing girls, doing drugs, getting drunk, punching the ugly janitor, selling guns to juniors, making meth in the lab with the old bald teacher (then kicking him in the balls), playing metal through the announcement speakers, and ultimately burning down the place for the glory of Satan :2metal:

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »
Sounds interesting...  :\
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Calvin6s

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 09:16:49 PM »
You talked about the place burning down and were met with discussion?  Doesn't sound right to me.

Offline Wither

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 09:20:11 PM »
To you it might not....Oh well.
I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down. And all my best creations, burning to the ground. The thought of starting over, leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again, another one that got away.

Offline Wither

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »
Stuff goes down in school a lot. I live an interesting, interesting life and to say that I have an interesting life is an understatement.
Yeah, I recall high school being pure adrenaline mob all day long punching teachers in the throat, smashing girls, doing drugs, getting drunk, punching the ugly janitor, selling guns to juniors, making meth in the lab with the old bald teacher (then kicking him in the balls), playing metal through the announcement speakers, and ultimately burning down the place for the glory of Satan :2metal:
Holy....that is amazing. I worship you  :hefdaddy

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 09:24:08 PM »
 :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Wither

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »
If you think I sounded like a dick here, get used to it. Almost every post will be me as a senior that doesn't give a sh*t about school anymore.....

I post these memorandums on facebook and it's entertaining to a lot of my friend who enjoy see me suffer.

Here is a conversation from last semester with my AP gov teacher........

So I worked my ass off in my AP Gov class just to end up with a fucking B. And I said to my gov teacher "You know, what's wrong with you? Nobody in our class has above a 90%. Can't you just give the top 6 kids A's. Remember, our future is in your hands."
He said: "The reason why no one has above a 90% is because I set my class up that way. It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why it's called an AP class."
My Response: "It's supposed to be challenging but not torturing. If no one has an A, that's a bad reflection on the teacher."
His response: "What do you mean no one has an A? Like 3 kids have A's"
My response: "That's because they all have an 87% and you out of the kindness of your heart gave them an A. But why can't you give me an A with an 85%? I think you need to take in consideration that I get perfect scores on everything but the tests, and you also need to take into consideration that I worked really hard."
His Response: "Tough luck buddy. There are kids that worked hard and didn't even get a B so be grateful goddamnit."
My Response: "You know, you're a terrible person."
His Response: "The reason you don't have an A is because you're not smart enough."
My Response: "Okay. Well next semester I want you to actually teach us something. If you're gonna give hard test, you might as well teach us some of the damn material. My parents pay taxes I want a decent education."
His Response: "Don't you have something better to do? Like, beg all of your other teacher's for an A that you're never gonna get?"
My Response: "I'm getting an A in every other class but this class and calculus thank you very much."
His Response: "Well congratulations. You are officially an underachiever."
My Response: "Oh please just give me an A."
His Response: "No. But I can give you a piece of advice. Next semester, study for your damn tests"
My Response: "Okay, and why don't you get out of your chair and teach next semester."
His Response: "I can ruin your life right now. All I have to do is send your colleges you applied to an email, and next year I'll see you right back here in my classroom. Not as a student, but you'll be sweeping my room because you'll be working apart of the janitorial staff."
My response: "When I become president, I will ensure that all AP Government teachers are given a deduction in their salaries. And I have a better chance of being president than a fucking janitor."
His Response: "Whatever you say dummy. Now leave my class please".
My Response: "Okay. And by the way, I was with your mom last night and she said Hi."

I know, I know. How immature of me. But he was hell ticking me off....

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 09:45:05 PM »
So, you're gonna sound like a dick here on the forums because you don't care about school anymore.. Sounds like you'd suffer less if you actually had a civil conversation with people.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Wither

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 09:46:58 PM »
Duly noted.......

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
You sound like a dick.
I wouldn't say you sound like a dick, Wither, but the essence behind 73109's post I agree with.

About your first post: I think every single thing your school administrator said is true and valid (plus, she was being polite to you when she didn't have to), and it was actually you disrupting her day.

You remind me of a couple of students I used to have a few years ago, and even of myself at 16. Once you get out of high-school, you realize what a waste of time it was being a smart-ass to the teachers/administrators. Just don't bother arguing with the administrator if you think you are one step ahead of her - you're probably not, and if you are, I don't think it's her to whom you should be complaining about stuff you don't agree with (like the middle-schoolers wandering around). Does your school allow for the chance to speak to the Principal? It should be one of your rights as a student, right?

That said, I'm interested in reading other situations you care to share.

EDIT: OK, I just read your 2nd story. Yep, you sound like a dick, but so does your teacher, and in a big way. That's the stuff you should be complaining about to your administrator/Principal/parents.

Calvin6s

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »

Offline Wither

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 10:03:40 PM »
You sound like a dick.
I wouldn't say you sound like a dick, Wither, but the essence behind 73109's post I agree with.

About your first post: I think every single thing your school administrator said is true and valid (plus, she was being polite to you when she didn't have to), and it was actually you disrupting her day.

You remind me of a couple of students I used to have a few years ago, and even of myself at 16. Once you get out of high-school, you realize what a waste of time it was being a smart-ass to the teachers/administrators. Just don't bother arguing with the administrator if you think you are one step ahead of her - you're probably not, and if you are, I don't think it's her to whom you should be complaining about stuff you don't agree with (like the middle-schoolers wandering around). Does your school allow for the chance to speak to the Principal? It should be one of your rights as a student, right?

That said, I'm interested in reading other situations you care to share.

EDIT: OK, I just read your 2nd story. Yep, you sound like a dick, but so does your teacher, and in a big way. That's the stuff you should be complaining about to your administrator/Principal/parents.

Yeah. Thank you Sebastion. I think I should just stop this. It really is rubbing people the wrong way..... :)
Thank you for those words. I really do sound silly. I'll get a mod to lock this failure.  :loser:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 10:06:07 PM »
Wither, if you aren't just trolling and are actually a senior having a hard time, ask for some help.  I'm sure others will share what they did during your age.

Offline Wither

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 10:10:32 PM »
Thank you. I'm not trolling, I honestly just can't be bothered about high school. I got accepted to college and basically high school is over. Graduation is almost here.

Calvin6s

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 10:12:29 PM »
Thank you. I'm not trolling, I honestly just can't be bothered about high school. I got accepted to college and basically high school is over. Graduation is almost here.

Getting accepted is the easy part.  The hard part is paying for it.  How's that going for ya?

Offline Wither

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 10:13:17 PM »
Financial aid got me covered, so I'm good.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 10:14:20 PM »
I failed 2 of the 4 classes I was taking my last semester Senior year of high school. I was like you, it just didn't matter to me. I still graduated with 3.78 GPA and Honors, but man, that last semester was tough.

Going through the same thing in my last semester of college. I don't care anymore, I'm almost done with college and then I'm done with school. It's a struggle everyday to get my work done  :lol
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Wither

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 10:17:52 PM »
I failed 2 of the 4 classes I was taking my last semester Senior year of high school. I was like you, it just didn't matter to me. I still graduated with 3.78 GPA and Honors, but man, that last semester was tough.

Going through the same thing in my last semester of college. I don't care anymore, I'm almost done with college and then I'm done with school. It's a struggle everyday to get my work done  :lol

OH MAN. I can TOTALLY relate to you. Seriously, I'm slacking off and senioritis is getting to me (not sure if that's a real thing).

It is indeed a struggle. My parents want me to get all A's, become either a lawyer or president, get filthy rich....basically live out the American Dream. All that is doing is leading us to death.

Calvin6s

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 10:18:05 PM »
Well, then the real life test you are dealing with is burning bridges.  Quite simply, don't.

It has been quite some time since I took my AP classes, but I recall the final, big test (the standardized test, not from your HS teacher) being pretty close to the end of the school year.  And I kind of remember it taking quite some time to get the results.

And if your school helped you with financial aid, then you had a better school than mine.  We were more or less left on our own to figure it out.

Offline Wither

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 10:26:03 PM »
I understand you Calvin6s. My AP Gov test is on May 10th. Studying my ass off with Barron's and Princeton. I just have to get a good score on that test.

Actually FAFSA helped me a lot. Also grants and scholarships. My English teacher told me to look for free money everywhere. You won't believe how much money I got from looking online alone.

Calvin6s

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 10:27:19 PM »
It is indeed a struggle. My parents want me to get all A's, become either a lawyer or president, get filthy rich....basically live out the American Dream. All that is doing is leading us to death.

In the span of your life, this very important time is a blink of the eye.  But it can define the rest of your life.  Don't screw it up.

My last year in HS was probably my worst as well.  But not because I just wanted to be Mr. Bad Ass or Mr.  :chill  I was dealing with some serious stuff.  My parents were supportive in the sense that they were happy I was doing well in school.  But we were in the process of losing our house and things were a financial mess.  To top it off, the new guidance counselor at the school was basically a teacher (my freshman AP American History teacher) filling in.  She didn't know how to do the job at all.  The whole "give her some time.  She'll figure it out" was not comforting in the least.

I told her I was overwhelmed because my mailbox was literally overflowing every single day my last two years with college information and offers.  My parents didn't know what to do.  Other than talking to friends, it was quite the jumbled mess.  My parents financials were such a mess that they couldn't prepare what they didn't have.

Calvin6s

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 10:28:38 PM »
You won't believe how much money I got from looking online alone.

And that was my biggest roadblock.  That wasn't an option for me.  The internet of my day was the library.

Offline Wither

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 10:38:18 PM »
I'm sure you don't want my sympathy, but I'm glad you came out of it strong as ever. I can realize how disgustingly I am being under-appreciative of my life.

It's no use complaining about the end of high school...You're right.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 10:43:33 PM »
Yeah. Thank you Sebastion. I think I should just stop this. It really is rubbing people the wrong way..... :)
Thank you for those words. I really do sound silly. I'll get a mod to lock this failure.  :loser:
I don't think you should lock this thread - it can produce interesting discussions (it already has). Keep posting/venting, although understand you might receive criticism from others.

I got accepted to college and basically high school is over. Graduation is almost here.
Well, you still have to pass Calculus and AP (whatever that subject is. What does 'AP' stand for?), right? Don't get ahead of time.
I remember the day of my last test (Chemistry) in highschool. Right after the test (which I assumed I would probably pass, since I had never failed at any test in highschool) me and a friend burned all of my notes/copies from throughout the year, and placed them in a bin. Well, a school administrator smelled the smoke/ashes, and I instantly got scared as fuck - I thought I was going to get punished/expelled. In the end, she didn't make a big deal about it (plus, it was my only act of rebellion in those 6 years there), so everything worked just fine.
The point is: wait until you're actually over to celebrate. Anything can happen at the last minute.

Wow, tough luck! It's like you're asked to be a new Trump. What is it you want to do after you finish highschool?

(By the way, like SystematicThought, I'm also about to finish college. In a very short time I have to pass my last oral exam, and that's it. I've also been bored or amused at the stupidity and worthlessness of some subjects/classes, so I share some of your frustrations, Wither.)

EDIT: It's also interesting to me reading about how colleges send info/offers to highschool seniors, and then you apply for them and wait for confirmation. Here (Argentina), there are a lot of public colleges which you don't pay a dime to get in (or throughout your time as a student), and - since October last year - there isn't any sort of introduction/eliminatory test. I don't think any college sends info/offers to highschool students, though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:47:54 PM by SebastianPratesi »

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 10:56:17 PM »
By the way, reading "senioritis" in one of your posts reminded me of the Arrested Development episode of the same name :P (well, it's actually "Señoritis").
If you don't know about it, do a 'something' search on it (sorry, obscure joke related to the series...). Obviously I don't know you much, but I think you might enjoy that episode in particular (the whole series is great to watch as a teenager and while in your '20s, though).

Calvin6s

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 11:35:51 PM »
Well, you still have to pass Calculus and AP (whatever that subject is. What does 'AP' stand for?), right? Don't get ahead of time.
AP is the Advanced Placement program.  It is the honors of the honors program.  But more importantly, if you do well enough in the class (and the final test), you can then use that as applied credit to college courses.  In other words, almost like going to community college but while still in High School.

From what I remember, I took.
AP World History
AP American History
AP European History (actually couldn't fit this one in)
AP Calculus
AP English Composition
AP English Literature (I'm a bit fuzzy on all the English derivations)
AP Biology
AP Physics
AP Spanish (second language - didn't take it myself as senior year was a mess)

And they occur throughout the 4 years of high school, not just senior year.

That's what I remember.  Sometimes it is hard to recall which was AP and which was just honors.  The only test I remember was AP Calculus because math came so easy to me and I was having a tough time in my personal life that I decided to delegate time away from this class.  It was the first time I felt hot taking a test.  "Wow.  I might not know how to solve this one.  This is going to take more work than it should had I dedicated more time to this.  Hmm.  I'm hot."

You also don't take it in your classroom.  It is more like a SAT test.  Unfamiliar environment and lots of monitors.

Here (Argentina), there are a lot of public colleges which you don't pay a dime to get in (or throughout your time as a student), and - since October last year - there isn't any sort of introduction/eliminatory test. I don't think any college sends info/offers to highschool students, though.

We have that here too.  It is called Jr. College or Community College.  But we all called it 13th grade with a smirk.  Usually more cheap than free.

I don't know how they do it today here.  This was the 90s for me and the internet wasn't really used the way it is today.

I was trying to come up with a word that somewhat captured all the mail and offer was the first I could find.  But it was a myriad of mail.  I would get different types of mail associated with *higher learning*

1.  direct mail from colleges.  This could be anything from a pamphlet to a full on package.  I didn't sign up for any mailing list, so they just started coming out of the blue.  Usually there was some type of letter from the admissions office asking you to consider their college/university.  In some ways, equivalent to pre-approved credit card offers.
2.  I don't recall if they came separate or with the #1 packages, but a bundle of forms to fill out to start the application process.
3.  Magazines that were college related. 
4.  Magazines that were financial aid related.

Now some of my friends would get things I didn't (and vice versa).  But the ones that pissed me off were the grants that were associated with their parents employment or clubs or whatever.  My parents didn't have those connections.  And when I asked my friend how I could apply to those I'd usually get "you can't".  And sometimes I wasn't sure if I truly couldn't or if they were just trying to eliminate competition.

And for quite some time, I'd come home after swim practice tired as heck, usually needing to get ready for work to find the mailbox crammed with this stuff.  At first I tried to read it all.  It took no time at all before it was just piling up in boxes in my room.  Realizing I was flying blind on this stuff and dealing with information overkill, I grabbed a couple boxes and met with the guidance counselor.  Told her I didn't quite understand what was worth my time and what wasn't.  Asked her for a roadmap.  Her advice was to "apply to as many as you can".  So I started filling out the applications. 

I then asked her for help on the financial aid side.  She told me to start with my parents' tax returns.  I told her my parents are going through some serious stuff and not even sure they had them to give.  They didn't.  She just told me to try harder.  It started to get frustrating and I told her "I can't do my parents' tax returns for them.  There has to be another way.  Or at least get me started on some other part of the process with the hopes we can come back to that when I actually have them."  She told me if I wasn't going to do step 1, she couldn't help.  It was a nightmare. 

So I started not trying at school.  I'd still pass the AP and honors classes with an A, but it was obvious I was going through the motions now.  So then the brilliant guidance counselor calls me in to ask "is there anything wrong?"  And I told her "you know what is wrong."

The best part was getting acceptance letters later on knowing I couldn't pay for them.  The colleges were infinitely more helpful than the local guidance counselor.  But this wasn't the age of net and email.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 12:04:02 AM »
Thanks for the info! So many things I didn't know about how the Education System works in other places. Many differences! For instance, highschool here is 6 years (from the ages of 12 to 17/18), so I guess I see the point Wither made about being annoyed by middle-schoolers - here too, as a senior, you share the same building with kids 5 or 6 years younger.

And sorry that it was so hard/frustrating for you during that time. The transition from High School to College seems to be harder/more stressing there than it is here.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 12:13:35 AM »
I'm having trouble believing a teacher would have responded like either of those two conversations. I'd consider yourself lucky that despite your attitude, you haven't been given much worse.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 12:38:40 AM »
Lol high school

:corn
Do tell.

I thought it would be kind of funny to wear my slippers to school that morning (I pretty much was late every day because I was super depressed and didn't give a shit so I would often basically roll out of bed and go to school), with the intent of switching to my sneakers at gym which was maybe 3rd period. Well, somebody saw me and didn't think it was very funny, so I got called to the office. I insisted to the assistant principal that I would change them at gym, but he insisted that I change them immediately. I did not like this idea, so I told him I would just leave instead. He tried to block me from going towards the doors by putting his arms out, so I pushed past his right arm and left the building. I got into my car and went book shopping :lol... well a couple hours later I came home and my mom said "What the hell happened?! The cops were here, they said you assaulted the vice principal!"
I was like "Whaaaaat?!"
I literally just pushed this guy's arm out of the way. The funniest thing was that my school was very tame, in upper-middle class suburbia and this guy had come from the fucking GHETTO. You know that movie Lean On Me? That school. He had probably been legitimately attacked by students before, but he called the cops on me for some stupid shit. He didn't press charges or anything but of course I got in trouble at school and hated that man even more for the rest of my tenure there. The important thing was I didn't take the slippers off. It was an act of rebellion. Those slippers represented my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Calvin6s

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 12:40:51 AM »
Having 12 year old kids mix with 17 and 18 year old kids seems like asking for trouble.  Particularly with the whole sex thing going on.

I started HS at 14 and finished at 17.  So you were surrounded by 14 to 18 year old kids for 4 years.  But I did have a wider range for my swim practice.  The top kids didn't always practice at the high school.  We spent a lot of time at the local college with the better pool.  The coach trained everybody from 12 year old swimmers showing Olympic promise to the college swim team ... and our varsity High School swim team.  So I'd be there in my tiny speedo staring at 22 year old women in their tiny swim suits.  Not a good combo for dudes getting wood at the drop of a hat.

When I was 15 swimming at the college, a 13 year old girl became Glenn Close obsessed with me.  The worst was if we were there when most hadn't arrived or already left.  Waiting by the pool gate, sometimes she would jump all over me.  If it was just me and her or one of our friends, she'd ask me out with the notice that I was guaranteed sex the first time out.  The difference between 13 and 15 seems like nothing today, but back then it felt quite the span.  Getting egged on to take her up on her offer by other dudes.  The idea that she wasn't in High School was the biggest block in my mind.

The funny part is the friend that told me "that's like child rape" eventually took her up on the offer after months of coming up empty with me.

So in conclusion, mixing 12 year old and 18 year old kids just feels a bit crazy.  There are dudes that are Matthew McConaughey Dazed and Confused creepy.  One of my 14 year old girlfriends went out with a 25yo after me.  Creepy dudes.

Calvin6s

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 12:44:33 AM »