Author Topic: Trieste show has been cancelled due to illness.  (Read 8151 times)

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
Trieste show has been cancelled due to illness.
« on: March 20, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »
Dream Theater deeply regrets that the Trieste show has been cancelled due to illness. The promoter will provide information about rescheduling and refunds and we will provide details on our social media sites as soon as they are available.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline fischermasamune

Re: Trieste show has been cancelled due to illness.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »
Que trieste.

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »
I believe it's Labrie who's sick. Rumor has it it's throat related and serious. No idea if it's true.
And now I've only habits left
to break

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 12:08:25 PM »
Jordan is live on Facebook now, he confirmed he's James.

Damn, yesterday he sang at least half the songs the way they are on the album. Respect for a singer that takes so much criticism whatever thing he does.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »
Yeah, it kinda amazes me how they manage to stay so healthy with so little sleep and so much travel. Hope he gets well soon enough.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 12:26:18 PM »
As I've said many times, they are playing TOO MANY NIGHTS IN A ROW. They are killing James and we here in the US won't be getting our shows. :-\

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 12:34:48 PM »
As I've said many times, they are playing TOO MANY NIGHTS IN A ROW. They are killing James and we here in the US won't be getting our shows. :-\

I don't know if it's for the collective aging or to help more Bruce after all he's been through, but Iron Maiden are spacing out the shows on this tour, for example they play three dates here in Italy and they're all apart, there's one day off between each date; this one in Trieste woud have been the FOURTH show in a row for the band. I know they make a point of having short legs to not be away too much from their families but it's time to slow down the pace a little bit for them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 12:40:05 PM »
Yeah, I think you guys might be into something important. They're not 35 years old anymore, and it's to be noted a 50+ year old body probably takes its toll (doesn't matter how healthy the guys stay) and such schedule sounds like too much for them to handle these days. They could tone it down a little bit and they could still kick major amounts of ass.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:38:03 PM »
Look, I understand the concern some of you are talking about - but I wouldn't be so worked up about it after just one flu (hell, even after 2, considering what happened late last year). I bet many of James's "off nights" when he was younger were related to him ignoring his own flu and going on stage anyways, and he's just being more mature about it these days.

By the way, I hope it's not anything more serious than they say it is, because like I said, James tends to go on stage even when he's a little sick. Also it would be fun if they took the opportunity to do an instrumental show, but it's probably not appropriate in a specific tour with such a high concept.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 01:42:32 PM »
My point is that they should never ask James to sing more than 2 nights in a row, not with their material.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »
My point is that they should never ask James to sing more than 2 nights in a row, not with their material.
I can absolutely agree with that sentiment, just not sure it has to do much with catching the flu. Hell, I wouldn't recommend doing that to any band with similar music and material, regardless of age.

Offline CB

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »
I've been an opera fan longer than a metal/prog fan. Professional opera singers never do two shows in a row, they usually have at least two days off between performances to regenerate. But in rock/metal it seems to be impossible (financial reasons?). I guess the whole band gets ill with the crazy tour schedules, but when the singers voice is gone it can't be concealed.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 04:52:42 PM »
Yesterday in Milan, during the 1st half of the 2nd act James was visibly suffering, drinking a lot and quickly moving off stage whenever he could. He struggled and avoided to stress the voice a couple of times, and another one he just left a verse to John (and the playback that went on in the background).
Anyway he seemed to have recovered in the final part...
Sorry to hear that especially for all the NorthEastern who were going there, plus the Eastern Europeans such as Slovenians and Croats who were flocking to that show...
From Rome, with love.

Offline Ad134

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 05:10:18 PM »
I hope he recovers quickly... there is a real nasty set of colds and flus going round this year.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 05:18:41 PM »
For the last couple of weeks or so I've been trying to imagine how it went when Petrucci presented the concept for this album and tour to LaBrie, and what all he would have to do. It has to be the hardest thing he's ever done, never mind the fact that he's trying to do it NOW, instead of before he was in his fifties. I think if they were playing shows with more instrumentals, or longer songs with instrumental breaks, the band could play a 2-&-1/2 hour or more show, and it still wouldn't be NEARLY as demanding on James as having to sing all of THESE songs, and do things with his voice to at least TRY to sound like all of the different characters. I think there are some singers who are HALF his age that this would pretty much KILL. So yeah..I think it's pretty safe to say that he deserves some of the long-overdue RESPECT that he has NOT been GETTING!!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 07:58:27 PM »
With their ages and these long shows, you can't help but wonder if they did bite off more than they can chew.  I, too, am surprised they didn't do the every other night thing with this tour.

SebastianPratesi

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 08:16:24 AM »
I guess we'll learn more tomorrow night, when they start yet another three nights in a row streak.  For the fans of the cancelled show, I hope they can circle back before heading to North America.

When they arrive over here, all they do is start off with nine shows in eleven nights.  This isn’t a ‘show’ with songs for other performers, or where there is a stand-in always at the ready. They can’t adjust the set list by throwing in ‘YtseJam’, ‘Erotomania’, ‘Stream of Consciousness,’ instrumental bridges/endings of other songs, drum or keytar solos to remove some of the burden placed on JLB.

Or will they?  Edit TA down to a shorter hour or so, and then a few songs that are easier on him with some instrumentals.  Not trying to start a rumor, or saying they should, or saying it would be better that way.  It is simply something they may have to do. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »
With their ages and these long shows, you can't help but wonder if they did bite off more than they can chew.  I, too, am surprised they didn't do the every other night thing with this tour.
I definitely think booking 4 shows in a row was trying to do too much, especially given how vocal-heavy TA is. Even on a normal Evening With tour, I think that would be too much for JL, and that's with him having more time in-between songs since there are longer instrumental sections to many of their songs.

However, I don't think booking 2 nights in a row is too much at all. Even a couple occasions of them doing 3 nights in a row would be OK, but I would think it would be wise to limit that (3 nights) to cities where they are doing 3 shows and/or the shows are in very close proximity to each other so that there's very little travel time, allowing JL enough time to rest.

In 10 year's time, when JL is the age of Geddy Lee now, then I can see them scaling back to no consecutive shows or maybe only the occasional 2 nights in a row. But until then, I imagine he'll still be able to pull it off well.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline emtee

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 12:39:07 PM »
Hopefully it's a speedy recovery. The flu strain that is going around has been pretty tough to shake. Lots of coughing for many days.

I can only remember one other show they cancelled (but I'm not Scotty :laugh:) and that was the Detroit show right before the Score
show at Radio City and it was to save JLB's voice. Maybe there have been others too but I'll be not very many.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 12:50:38 PM »
Que trieste.
LOL! The city name is definitely fitting for this (dramatic?) turn of events!

Hopefully it's a speedy recovery. The flu strain that is going around has been pretty tough to shake. Lots of coughing for many days.

I can only remember one other show they cancelled (but I'm not Scotty :laugh:) and that was the Detroit show right before the Score
show at Radio City and it was to save JLB's voice. Maybe there have been others too but I'll be not very many.
There's probably been about 15-20 shows that have been canceled over the band's history, but very few of them have been due to JL being sick. Most of them were because of bad weather or other issues related to travel.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 12:55:46 PM »
And for an iguana as well once, if I remember correctly  :D

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 02:49:45 PM »
He struggled and avoided to stress the voice a couple of times, and another one he just left a verse to John

Do you remember in which song he did that?.. Cuz that's something I wanna see now..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM »
All of this sounds like a good argument for what I said before: they should have brought in at least a couple of "support singers" to help represent some of the different characters. I don't know if that would make the CURRENT situation any better, but in general, James might not wear his voice out as quickly.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 03:46:57 PM »
But he's sick. He hasn't lost his voice. Other than losing it because he is sick. Extra singers don't have any effect on him being sick.
I mean would they sing James' parts while he misses the show??
Should they have extra drummers in case MM gets sick?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 03:48:56 PM »
Hey, nothing wrong with having a deep bench.  Just in case.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 03:49:51 PM »

:lol

Jones, you're in!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 03:53:41 PM »
His drum hit percentage is .200 less than Manning and drops over 3 shows in a row.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »
His drum hit percentage is .200 less than Manning and drops over 3 shows in a row.

Probably because he's playing with deflated drum heads.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »
But he's sick. He hasn't lost his voice. Other than losing it because he is sick. Extra singers don't have any effect on him being sick.
I mean would they sing James' parts while he misses the show??
Should they have extra drummers in case MM gets sick?

Sure...just have PORTNOY hang around...you know...just in CASE...!...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 04:00:34 PM »
He struggled and avoided to stress the voice a couple of times, and another one he just left a verse to John

Do you remember in which song he did that?.. Cuz that's something I wanna see now..

It might have been Moment of Betrayal, that's a song I remember he actually lowered the chorus an octave in some passages.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 04:10:48 PM »

:lol

Jones, you're in!

L. Ulrich is waiting by the phone. Practicing to a "metronome"

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »
They bring in Nicky S. to fill in on the tour.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 05:09:28 PM »

Probably because he's playing with deflated drum heads.

Oh you so silly
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 12:46:27 AM »
This tour has got to be extra brutal on James.  I remember reading through the lyrics sheet when the album came out thinking.. holy hell that's a LOT of vocals.